Author Topic: The Opinionated Animorphs Book Guide!  (Read 113637 times)

Offline poparena

Winner, Best RAFproject 2011

THE OPINIONATED ANIMORPHS BOOK GUIDE

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
Re: The Opinionated Animorphs Book Guide!
« Reply #301 on: December 30, 2013, 05:37:24 PM »
Wow, what a review! No wonder it took 3 videos, there's clearly a lot to explore in this book, a lot of which I missed my first time reading it as a kid. Fascinating theory regarding the Yeerks, and it's actually backed up by other books in the series. #6 for example, when the Yeerk dying in Jake's head leaves behind the "essence" and memories of its previous hosts. Not only this your theory make sense with what we know of the Yeerks as a species, but it explains a lot about their behaviour and suggests a realistic explanation for Esplin 9466's radical change of character from the Hork-Bajir Chronicles to the present day.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Cloudbreaker

• My activity may be at/near 0% but I'm still here.
    • Animorphs: The Revival
« Reply #302 on: December 31, 2013, 11:35:12 AM »
Once again, a great review.

NateSean

« Reply #303 on: January 05, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
Don't apologize for doing a long review. You knocked this one out of the park. :)

Offline Samwise

« Reply #304 on: January 24, 2014, 11:58:18 AM »
poparena, I want to thank you so much for going to all the trouble of doing this. Your reviews are wildly entertaining. I'm also really glad you stopped doing the Batman voice. ;D

Offline poparena

« Reply #305 on: February 26, 2014, 04:05:56 AM »

NateSean

« Reply #306 on: March 01, 2014, 08:40:54 AM »
It's one of the things about putting any kind of thought into a story like this. Like how you tried to posit a scenario for the Nartec getting ships from all over the world to their tiny little base, it was a great idea, but when it comes right down to it it's only to show that you should have been the one to write the book.

Some of the ghostwriters probably just did the best with what they could do. And I'll be looking to see if I can find any of Frenzic's (sp?) stuff later on.

Have a productive hiatus. I hope it doesn't claim you forever and that you come back fresh and recharged. (I know hiatus is not the same as vacation. I just generally find the results to be the same.)

Offline lolapandi

« Reply #307 on: March 05, 2014, 01:38:28 PM »
Thanks for doing these reviews, poparena! I've been listening for a while and am obviously subscribed to you on facebook but just wanted to let you know here that I really enjoy these reviews. Good luck on your hiatus, I hope things get better for you soon.
Sigs were never my strong suit. Just talk to me!!

Offline poparena

« Reply #308 on: April 18, 2014, 12:20:10 AM »

NateSean

« Reply #309 on: April 18, 2014, 07:03:44 AM »
Great to have you back.

I suppose it wasn't false advertising when they called this book "The Weakness", given that it wasn't the best of the Rachel books, but I agree that there were a lot of good points. It does make me wonder why the Council would trust Visser Three's word that he had nothing to do with the Inspector's death.

I mean, here's a guy who was caught in an attempt to blatantly manipulate the council. And suddenly they've received news that the controller who was about to become one of the ruling members of the Yeerk Empire was dead after being sent to oversee Visser Three's operation. We know the council isn't that stupid so what was stopping them from sending more inspectors?

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
« Reply #310 on: April 21, 2014, 10:37:10 PM »
Glad to see you back!  :)  I was pretty sad when I heard you were on hiatus.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #311 on: April 29, 2014, 06:06:02 AM »
I introduced Dino to these Opinionated Guides last week, so after watching some of the older videos I noticed I'd missed a couple of new ones. Great reviews as always, I think we've all been eagerly waiting for you to tear The Mutation apart for a long time now, lol. Glad to see you back from hiatus by the way. :)

Obviously #36 has a lot of flaws, but I'd completely forgotten about that nonsense with Jake implying the Orca's mind carried over into the morph. I could have accepted that kind of thing from Cassie, since she has a history of worrying about morphing intelligent creatures, but as you said it's been well established that such a thing isn't true. If it did happen, it would have made every instance of morphing a human, Hork-Bajir or even a Yeerk incredibly awkward.

#37 The Weakness has always been one of my least favourites, especially among Rachel books. I agree that the plot itself had a lot of potential, but for me it's completely ruined by the blatant screw up of Rachel's character. The talk of hubris at the start and self-analysis/doubt at the end sounded like her, but the rest is just bloody awful. I just can't get past the rapid emotional gear change from "don't get too ****y" to "I AM AWESOME AND CAN DO NO WRONG!" It's ridiculous and completely out of character for a Rachel narrated book.

Aside from the more obviously emotional Rachel at the tail end of the series, I always found it interesting that most of Rachel's recklessness and bravado is exaggerated when seen from the perspective of the other Animorphs. It's only books narrated by her that we get to see her hidden insecurities. A major chunk of this book totally ignores that and portrays her as the violent adrenaline junkie the other Animorphs see her as. On the other hand, the vast contradiction between psycho and cry baby certainly supports your theory from #32 Poparena.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline poparena

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #313 on: June 11, 2014, 03:45:11 PM »
Kinda wish I found these sooner. I thoroughly enjoy them, as you tend to point out some things that I never stopped to consider before, Poparena. Like the whole Separation thing, and probably more that my currently-sluggish mind won't allow me to recall.

I've been watching them from YouTube, but some parts (like the second half of The Sickness and the first part of the Hork-Bajir Chronicles) I couldn't because I watch on my Knidle Fire, and it says "The content owner has not made this video available on mobile". And I don't have a PC to watch 'em on. So, I just had to skip 'em, though I really didn't want to. But thanks for bring this to us, speaking as an Animorph fan.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline poparena