Author Topic: Is anybody out there serious (and I mean SERIOUS) about making Animorphs films?  (Read 4590 times)

Offline XenomorphLV426

Re: Is anybody out there serious (and I mean SERIOUS) about making Animorphs fil
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 09:42:42 AM »
so now your sayng that a movie might be made, but that it just wont be faithful? confusing

I never said a movie won't be made.  I said a movie won't be made right.  That's not opinion, that's cold hard reality.  These books cannot be transformed into a visual medium without slashing entire ideas and concepts that were integral to the books.

But will they make a run-of-the-mill summer movie hack-job adaptation?  Maybe.  Like K.A. said, probably a 1 in 20 chance of that happening.  You might get something of Golden Compass or Narnia quality, aimed at the kiddies, cashing in on "talking animals and aliens!", but anything of a more highbrow nature is out of the question.

Personally, I'd rather they not shy away from the ideas that were the only reason these books stood out among the other Scholastic properties.  The series works better in serial book format anyway, and you know it.

Offline Touquie

• ShamWOW!
  • God
  • Just Dancing in the Dark
    • Touquie's YouTube Channel
I think they did a really good job with Narnia.  I haven't seen Prince Caspian, but the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was good.  They were very faithful with the books and the battle scenes were awesome.

Plus, Animorphs is intended for children.  It's a childrens series.  So is Narnia and Harry Potter.
I'm RAFmarried to my Pookie, Charlie ;D

Offline XenomorphLV426

Re: Is anybody out there serious (and I mean SERIOUS) about making Animorphs fil
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
I think they did a really good job with Narnia.  I haven't seen Prince Caspian, but the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was good.  They were very faithful with the books and the battle scenes were awesome.

Plus, Animorphs is intended for children.  It's a childrens series.  So is Narnia and Harry Potter.

You're right, it's intended for children, I'm not denying that.  However, there are fundamental differences here and I don't think that can be denied.  Just because Animorphs should by nature disturb children, that doesn't mean it's unsuitable for them.

Narnia and Harry Potter never really pushed the envelope of what's acceptable.  Yes, both discuss morality and good V.S. evil etc.  But did you ever see either of those two older Narnia kids stab a guy in the throat with one of their swords and watch him bleed, having to deal with the aftermath of it when they got home and went to sleep?

Of course not, that would be completely inappropriate for this kind of movie.  But in Animorphs?  That kind of thing happened in virtually every single book, whether it be Rachel or Jake ripping Hork-Bajir up, or Marco TEARING A BIG WORM apart and spilling its guts onto the floor, the book even going as far as to describe the reeking smell.

You can use the "it's intended for children!" argument all you want, but name me one scene in either the Harry Potter or Narnia series that included ANYTHING even half that vile.

That's exactly what I'm getting at here: not only is the computer technology present in films like Narnia nowhere near sophisticated enough yet to make living breathing animals look believable and realistic, but an Animorphs movie should have so much more in common with a war movie than with Narnia anyway!

Of course Animorphs was a children's series.  It was just a children's series that stood out from the pack, one that had the guts to tackle issues a little over the heads of the audience.  It was educational in a sense, moreso in the realities of conflict than in the expected "good v.s. bad" manner.  You can't compare it to children's series as a whole, because things happened in those books that were SUPPOSED to scare and shock the hell out of them.  It might be intended for young readers, but you also need to realize it was also intended to make them think, and make them uncomfortable.

Those elements will never in a million years make it into any mainstream movie production, and yes, I can guarantee that.  This is the point that is no longer opinion, and becomes practical.

You want an Animorphs movie?  Better be ready to make some major plot compromises and throw away a good chunk of character development.  People have neither the patience nor the stomach to see this on a screen, and any studio executive with any sense, or director with any conscience, is going to think the same.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:16:48 AM by XenomorphLV426 »

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 10:18:30 AM »
You want an Animorphs movie?  Better be ready to make some major plot compromises and throw away a good chunk of character development.  People have neither the patience nor the stomach to see this on a screen, and any studio executive with any sense, or director with any conscience, is going to think the same.

You could always get M. Night Shyamalyn(sp?). I doubt he'd be opposed to that.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline XenomorphLV426

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 10:28:36 AM »
Except, you know, the fact that he's only ever made two good movies, and he has no experience at all with action or comedy.

Oh, and he'd still deliver a film with an R rating, which no major studio (or Scholastic, for that matter) would get behind. 

Seriously, I know I sound like a snappy a-hole here.  I'm sorry for the attitude.  It's just...there hasn't been a single good suggestion yet, aside from the no-name actors.  If there's a way to clear the budget, effects, rating, and plot structure hurdles, then great.  But absolutely everything said so far has been a misfire, and a clear pathway to a sh*tty run-of-the-mill summer movie.

If you want to talk directors, move more in the direction of Zemeckis or Scott or even Eastwood.  Or Cuaron or Del Toro for that matter, if a more artistic route is to be taken. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:32:32 AM by XenomorphLV426 »

Offline Chad32

• God
Filmstu is working on something, though. He seems serious about it.

Really?  When we gonna start hearing about it (at least on this site)?
He made a thread once, saying he'd like to work on a script and such. I've been reading over it and helping him through email. However, I won't say more than that.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline wotw2112

Filmstu is working on something, though. He seems serious about it.

Really?  When we gonna start hearing about it (at least on this site)?
He made a thread once, saying he'd like to work on a script and such. I've been reading over it and helping him through email. However, I won't say more than that.

Cool.  Even just in theory, still cool.
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 11:56:28 AM »
You people REALLY NEED TO LEAVE THIS.

Pursue this with letters to studios and typical militant fanboy-ness, and we're not going to get a good result.  Yes, we'll get a movie made, just not one worth watching.

Pleeaase, all stop talking about movies, you're scaring the everloving hell out of me and Doctor Sanity.

Nobody made you click this thread and read it. If you don't like the topic, don't participate in the thread.

I also find it really funny that someone with such a low negative number as you, is going around telling everyone else on the site what to post about. As far as I can tell, there's only one person on the site lower then you, and that's Yorick, and I really have no idea why he's lower then you are.

Oh, and he'd still deliver a film with an R rating

Um, ok? You do know he's only made ONE film with an R rating...

Not to mention he's working on a big screen adaptation right now of the kid's series Avatar: The Last Airbender. He might actually be a really good choice, but I'll hold out and wait to see how he does with Avatar first.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:28:26 PM by Slushie Man »

Offline Yorick Brown

And I'm saying that no 300 million dollar Animorphs movie will ever be made that is even vaguely faithful to the themes of the books.

That's some crystal ball you got there...
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline wotw2112

I also find it really funny that someone with such a low negative number as you, is going around telling everyone else on the site what to post about. As far as I can tell, there's only one person on the site lower then you, and that's Yorick, and I really have no idea why he's lower then you are.

Haha!  I'm catching up!  ;D

But your stupid karma number has more to do with how childish the people you disagree with are.  Xeno and Yorick are two of the smartest people I've run into on this site and the fact that they're really negative means they say what they mean regardless of who it offends.  I say bravo.  P.C. is bs anyway
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 05:20:38 PM by wotw2112 »
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2008, 05:24:27 PM »
I've never even seen Yorick be negative. I really can't figure out how his score is so low, cause from what I can tell, he's a stand-up member that everyone gets along with and that keeps making very interesting topics that keeps discussions going for a long time. Unless I'm missing something, anyway.

Offline wotw2112

Lol, he enjoys making fun of Morfowt and everyone gets angry...they're never gonna let that go...

I, on the other hand, made the mistake of ever disagreeing with "TheFearlessLeader" and he's been smiting me about 6 times a day ever since.
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline Yorick Brown

They hate how I treat this one user named Morfowt though he deserves every tongue lashing he gets.
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline SuperBlue

• God
They hate how I treat this one user named Morfowt though he deserves every tongue lashing he gets.

Are you f[beep]ing serious!? Morf has done wrong to you, if he ever did or said anything it was probably becuz ur dumb ass provoked him(Which would be easy for you cuz your real good pissing ppl off)
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline XenomorphLV426

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 10:57:30 PM »
Lolzwaffles.

Play nice, children.  If you want to aggressively debate the topic in a manner that insults the idea but not the person, cool, but now you're all just behaving like total c*ckknockers.

But it does make me giggle, you get credit for that.  Zomgiggles.