Author Topic: Cassie and Rachel  (Read 7612 times)

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
Re: Cassie and Rachel
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2008, 05:18:08 PM »
don't worry. There's no construction site anywhere near here. There is one on my way to school though...no seriously.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2008, 05:22:25 PM »
Perfect! Now you just need to walk through the site with your best friend, your cousin, the girl you like and a guy you barely know. And then you all need to send me that blue box! You can have English money in return!  :D
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2008, 05:24:51 PM »
Aren't they called euros?

my best friend is in america, my cousin is in another city in china, the girl I like is in another city in china, and a guy I barely know would just be next door.

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2008, 05:40:49 PM »
You better get to work then.
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2008, 05:41:15 PM »
Euros? EUROS?! Are you kidding me?! We still use good old English Pounds thank you! And with any luck, it'll stay that way! You see, I do have some sense of patriotism.  :)

Hmmm... that plan might not work then, that's a shame. Although this does give me an idea for a new thread...

Anyway, back to the topic... *mutters something involving Animorph relationships*
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline filmstu2005

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2008, 01:37:39 AM »
I'm wondering how Cassie came between the relationship Melissa and Rachel had. Seems Melissa and Rachel would have WAY more in common and still have enough differences to be friends. So I find it odd that Cassie is her best friend over Melissa.

Offline XenomorphLV426

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2008, 03:57:16 AM »
But why would they need things in common to be friends?  Most best friends aren't that much alike.

And Marco and Jake didn't share a whole lot of personality traits, either.

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Maybe it's one of those times when opposites attract. It seems like they shouldn't be friends, but somehow they are. Yeah, they have their disagreements. Who doesn't? No one's perfect, that's human. And KA did a decent job of showing us these characters were pretty human. (Or Andalite in Ax's case)

A real life example: Last year I had a roommate who was the complete opposite from me. I'm sort of like Cassie: quiet, not really girly. Then my roommate was like Rachel as far as clothes and things were concerned. She had been on the school dance squad for a year. She's in no way a warrior inside. Though given the right circumstances...(saving the earth from aliens, maybe?) Who knows? We're not the best of friends, but we got along and she still wants to hang out.

Offline Starsword

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2008, 09:19:47 PM »
Perhaps they are very similarly connected on a subliminal level, like sharing common goals and values.
Until then we fight.

Offline estrid

• God
  • LOL
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 02:52:44 AM »
You know what I love about the Jake/Tobias interaction?  Read book one again.  Tobias is the leader!  It's so awesome.  Jake may be the "heart" of the group, the one that binds the team together and makes it work, but Tobias is the one that orchestrates the whole resistance.  That entire book, not just the cat-morphing scene, it's like Jake is looking to Tobias for advice and direction thoughout.  And I think in a more subtle way that carried through at least most of the series.  Very cool.

dude i cant believe i never noticed that bout book 1, but ur rite. tobias is the one that really keeps them all together.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 02:55:20 AM by estrid »
" 'What do you care if he drains a few vegetables?' I asked. 'He's a vampire!' Chester snarled. 'Today vegetables....tomor row, the world!' " Bunnicula-a Rabbit Tale of Mystery

Jess is my RAFbest friend cuz she is way awesome!
Cody-my gayBFF for eva!
Coolest Member of the Year 2009

Offline XenomorphLV426

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2008, 06:07:18 AM »
Yeah.  I mean I'm not saying Jake isn't the leader or anything, he obviously is, but it's always cool how he seems to rely on Tobias in a similar way to how he does with Cassie and Marco.  Cassie's the heart/sanity/morality, Marco's like the football strategist, and Tobias is kind of like the soul of the fight, even pre-nothlit he was the one who was like bringing everything together.

I think there's a scene in one of the middle-later books where Jake kind of pulls Tobias aside at a barn meeting or something too, asking for opinions, not including the others.

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2008, 11:49:39 AM »
 With CAssie and Rachel, it would be interesting to see how they became friends. Maybe they were actually friends early on like early elementary. That would make it a lot easier to stay together since they shared similar experiences. Opposites do attract but you wouldn't want them to be too much opposite for too long. I mean, think about politics. There would always constantly be friction. I'm not saying it wouldn't work at all, but just imagine if politics wasn't the only thing you had different to your best friend. Imagine everything! You would constantly be in friction. So, maybe they had a Jake/Tobias incident early on, or maybe they do have some vision or goal together. Maybe the war brought them even closer together. Maybe...

Rachel and Cassie were only acquaintances through a mutual friend...but that mutual friend is not in the picture anymore, but Rachel and Cassie bonded?

What I'd like to know is how Jake and Cassie got together. haha.
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?

Offline sherrilina

• Jake/Cassie ftw!
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »
^^^I agree. And I too felt bad when KA wrote Rachel off and tried to explain her as a violent bloodthirsty psychopath spiraling out of control. As if a 16 year girl who clearly lost her voice through ghostwriting wasn't capable of living without a war. Yeah, right.

Rachel seemed plenty excited about living past the war. And she was smart. Sure, she lost her train of thought with crazy ideas, but she was smart in most of her books until she was given to the ghostwriters. The Rachel that narrated the beginning of the last book, The Beginning, was almost angelic to me. She was calm, driven, dutiful, sympathetic, and still powerful. Not some blazing lunatic.

I hate what they did to her. They seemed to at least help Rachel get off that ridiculous path in The Return, when who she was and what she had to do became clear to her, although she was broken and scared. Still, showing her recovery and a smarter side through the narrations of the others would've helped. I think her having that recovery wouldve conflicted heavily with the final task that Jake asked of her, and it would have been an interesting read while fitting more into her death. But instead they made her into a dumb blond. So i dont care, the final book was heavily flawed. Heavily.
Sorry, but if it was only the ghostwriters' fault, then why is Rachel still about as bloodthirsty and out of control in the final arc books?  Even in the final book she notes that her against all those warriors was how she liked it.  Even waaay back in book 4 or so, when KA was definitely still writing the series, Cassie notes sadly that Rachel now has all war-related mottos and quotes on her bulletin board in her room.  I think that KA always intended for Rachel's dark side to come out in the war, and for her to not really be able to live in a post-war world afterwards.  She'd have been a little like Patton in that way--who could be very aggressive and over-confident and harsh, and sometimes clever in war, sometimes not so much, and always gung-ho, but who did not do well after the war.  Or like Jake--though I think part of his melancholy had to do with Rachel and Tom's deaths, as far as I can tell.  And Jake too had sworn to Cassie immediately before that he would lead a full life after the war.  So I don't think Rachel's progression was all that unrealistic and OOC, and do agree that she probably would not have done well after the war without action, based on the rest of the series--including those written 100% by KA.

To be a little more on topic, I too love the C/R dynamic, such as when Rachel tries to get Cassie to shop or break out of her shell a little or pursue her relationship with Jake (with some prime hilarious moments in "The Sickness," for example).
"Cassie is quieter than Rachel, more peaceful, like she always understands everything on some different, more mystical level.  I guess you could say I kind of like Cassie......"

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »
I think the final arc was written by ghostwriters too. K.A. only wrote the last two books of the final arc.

Offline filmstu2005

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2008, 10:37:31 PM »
Thats true. Although KA does oversee the books written by the ghostwriters, they're still the ones writing it. I don't know. I still think Rachel wouldve been able to live past the Yeerk war. There were many moments where she had clear thoughts. Its cool for her to be all "Rambo" and tempted by power, but to write her off that way as a lost cause seemed harsh. There was a road to recovery, and it shouldve been shown after The Return when she made those self-realizations.

Besides, her death seemed forced, just to make an impact in the final book. I mean, the Animorphs have been in crappier situations before and still made it out alive. And yet no one dies until the final book. It just didnt seem to work well.