Author Topic: Would you have preferred it if the Andalites actually saved Earth?  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
Re: Would you have preferred it if the Andalites actually saved Earth?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 12:13:26 AM »
the attack was origional K and M, but i agree, they are classic animorphs, i couldnt live without any of them...cept maybe 36 haha

Offline Starsword

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 09:47:07 AM »
I figured it would have been cool if the Andalites came to save the day, but they weren't the saviors they first thought, and the Animorphs had to win it any way in open war, with some losses. Of course, this wouldn't actually win the war, it would just win Earth.
Until then we fight.

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 12:26:07 PM »
Personally I think it was realistic that the Andalites just kept on never arriving, and these kids, who were forced not to be kids anymore, had to keep fighting tooth and nail (literally) to try and save their own planet.  When the Andalites finally do show up, they want to blast the place into a cinder to keep the place from Yeerk domination.  I can see some more ruthless human leaders wanting to do the same thing, after all, they're "just aliens", like how Jake thought of the Yeerks in the Pool ship.  It's easy to shield yourself from killing innocent or at least helpless people if it's accomplishing something you think is a necessary evil.  If the Andalites showed up, shredders blasting, it would've taken away all of the strength of the Animorphs' fight over the years, and all of the interesting moral questions the last couple of books brought up.  Plus it would've been pretty boring and predictable.

So no...I would've really disliked it if the Andalites saved the day x3

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 01:15:31 PM »
It would have been a terrible ending if the Andalites had come and saved the planet and all the Animorphs lived happily ever after.  I'm glad the Andalites turned out to be more interesting and complex than the great and glorious saviors we thought they were at the start of the series.

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 03:15:04 PM »
I'd like to say that it would be neat if the Andalites had burst in guns a-blazin' to save the day. But, in my opinion, that would sort of be out of character for the Andalites. It is mentioned several times throughout the series, if I recall correctly, that the Andalites are best known for being arrogant. It doesn't seem like blazing to the rescue would really be their style.

Also, don't they have a semi-low opinion of humans anyway? They see us as primitive, and coming to Earth's rescue probably wasn't high on their priority list. And it does take a long time to travel out to this neck of the woods for them. Visser Three states in the first book that Elfangor is the last Andalite in the sector. (Not counting Ax, of course)

In the TV series at least, I don't recall about the books, Visser Three also makes the snide comment that the Andalite forces are spread much to thin to do anything about Earth. If this is true in the book as well, then it could be that the Andalites may, just may, have wanted to do something, but didn't have the troops available as they were probably defending other fronts. Such as their own home planet.

Another reason the Andalites don't come blazing in. That law about sharing technology. If they came down, then I'm pretty sure people would see them. They'd be exposing their culture and technology to a wide range of people. And that's sort of what they're trying to avoid, isn't it?

I also agree with the fact that this book series was trying to stay close to the real world. I felt it was easier to connect with some aspects of it. And ya gotta face it, people blazing into save the day right when you need it doesn't really happen in real life.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 02:41:09 PM »
Well one of the reasons the Andalites didn't rush in and save the day was because they didn't think Earth was as big of a priority as other systems. The Yeerks were in force in multiple places in the galaxy and the Andalites picked where to send their troops, and they didn't pick Earth.

I think it would have totally ruined everything if the Andalites came in and saved the day. I love the fact that the "good guys", the Andalites, ended up being total creeps who were going to blow up Earth. It sent a powerful message. If they had just come and saved Earth and everyone went home happy it would have been  unrealistic. Especially after all the build up with Seerow's Kindness, Alloran and the quantum virus, various Andalite betrayals, etc.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 05:46:45 PM »
Agreed, any such riding to the rescue would have changed the very nature of the andalites and the way we view them.
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »
 They would have come riding to the rescue....eliminati ng the Humans in the process! The Andalites only see Humans as an asset to the Yeerks. If it would weaken the Yeerks they would gladly kill us. I mean, if they've been fighting the war for this long (and who knows how many other ones at the same time) it would wear down generations of people! I guess since they didn't come to Earth we weren't a pressing objective...or the Yeerks just weren't too much of a bother in this area. I mean, if the Yeerks could get hold of a Class 5 species, wouldn't that have made it a high priority on the Andalite military list? Or maybe...they were having trouble at home. I'm sure the public would know about the Yeerk threat...maybe just not the extent.

If you don't have feelings for the enemy...or the collateral (us), then it's easier to deal with. Once you start developing feelings that's when things get complicated...
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 02:30:25 PM »
They would have come riding to the rescue....eliminati ng the Humans in the process! The Andalites only see Humans as an asset to the Yeerks. If it would weaken the Yeerks they would gladly kill us. I mean, if they've been fighting the war for this long (and who knows how many other ones at the same time) it would wear down generations of people! I guess since they didn't come to Earth we weren't a pressing objective...or the Yeerks just weren't too much of a bother in this area. I mean, if the Yeerks could get hold of a Class 5 species, wouldn't that have made it a high priority on the Andalite military list? Or maybe...they were having trouble at home. I'm sure the public would know about the Yeerk threat...maybe just not the extent.

If you don't have feelings for the enemy...or the collateral (us), then it's easier to deal with. Once you start developing feelings that's when things get complicated...
What I kind of meant when I posed the questions, is if the Andalites really were the good guys, and wouldn't have wiped out the Humans to get rid of the Yeerks. If they really were much like Elfangor: Heroes of the Galaxy.

She did something diffeent, though, and had some Andalites be willing to do unethical things. Most people seem to be fine with that, as I think every post in this thread was a resounding "no".

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »
 It would have been interesting to if they did. You know, all high and mighty...killing off ALL the Yeerks...then treating us as pets...then a Human rebellion to Andalite surveillence...haha .
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?