Author Topic: Animorphs are just “kids books” ?  (Read 7461 times)

Offline ViciousVisser

Animorphs are just “kids books” ?
« on: June 22, 2018, 05:04:04 PM »
Hey all,

I’m starting my summer tradition of re-reading as much of the books in the series as I can. I’ve noticed something, though, after all these years. And that’s this:

There are certain people out there who believe that it is pejorative for people that aren’t kids reading the series.

I want to know what your opinion is on this matter.
Marco: Oh, it's just a trash can. Chill out.
BAM! BAM! BAM!
Marco: Okay, so it's four trash cans.
Jake: Get off the sidewalk, you lunatic!
Marco: (yanks wheel right, bumps the sidewalk, grazes a parked car)
BAM! BAM! BAM!
Jake: Do you hate trash cans? Is that your problem? Do you just HATE TRASH CANS?!!

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Gold Donor
  • be excellent to each other and party on dudes
Re: Animorphs are just “kids books” ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 01:08:08 AM »
Those 'certain people' are a sack of potatoes if they think books have age restrictions. Out of interest, do you actually know anyone who's said that they think its weird, or are you playing devils advocate? I barely know anyone who's heard of the series IRL
Well, I'm the boss... Head Honcho. El Numero Uno. Mr. Big. The Godfather. Lord of the Rings. The Bourne... Identity. Er... Taxi Driver. Jaws. I forgot the question quite a while back. Who are you, again?

Offline ViciousVisser

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 09:23:19 AM »
I’m just playing devil’s advocate for the most part, but I do know that some people online that talk pejoratively about it being just a “kids” series.
Marco: Oh, it's just a trash can. Chill out.
BAM! BAM! BAM!
Marco: Okay, so it's four trash cans.
Jake: Get off the sidewalk, you lunatic!
Marco: (yanks wheel right, bumps the sidewalk, grazes a parked car)
BAM! BAM! BAM!
Jake: Do you hate trash cans? Is that your problem? Do you just HATE TRASH CANS?!!

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 03:10:25 AM »
The middle-school crowd was pretty obviously the target market, like 10-13 or so.

They were just pretty hardcore & controversial kids' books, didn't talk down to us at the time.  Which is why they work for older readers.  But they're definitely kid's books.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 11:57:29 AM »
I don't think it's an argument that they are kids book, course they are. They are about kids, they are written for the reading skills of kids, they were heavily marketed toward kids. Because of that, there are people who've never dealt with them that look down on adults reading it, say as anything that is developed for kids

However, they present a number of mature themes and concepts in mature ways, which as NFS says, is why they hold up when you grow up. If you'd never read them before, maybe you'd like them maybe you wouldn't, hard to say, but they clearly never appealed heavily to an adult demo during their release, and there are probably other books that do similar things better (wouldn't know myself: don't read).

In the end, if some one hates on you for enjoying something that you're not in the target audience for, they have too much time on their hands. If you still like 'em to hell with the rest, and if you realize that you've grown out of them, that's fine too.

Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Michaelmycle

Animorphs are just “kids books”
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 09:42:08 AM »
I think Ti Lung should be in on this list. I know he is better known for his swordplay. But his shapes are very good and easy overlooked. IMO.