Author Topic: First Flight  (Read 10094 times)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
Re: First Flight
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2013, 08:45:49 AM »
And me, as always. :D
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2013, 12:44:44 AM »
Peeps. Le new chapter is here.

Chapter Thirty-two

“As far as I’m concerned one of you is going to end up dead if you take that route…”

The Drode’s cackling, shrill voice echoed in Saffa’s mind as she walked down the corridor, Austin’s shredder in hand. Indeed, he could predict things… but, then again…

“She was always a strong woman; I looked up to her that way. Kinda like you, I guess.”

“The point is, you already told the Drode it’s wrong. And why is it wrong? Because that little git doesn’t know love, he doesn’t know friendship… just power.”

“And that’s why… you’ll live. You’ll win.”

Saffa tried to prevent a further wave of tears as she raced up the staircase. Austin had just done exactly what Lewis Miller had expected him to do – but hadn’t valued – sacrificed his own life to make sure Saffa kept hers. (Talk about a Harry Potter moment.) No wonder his mother did not hold her responsible if anything happened, as now it had. She had seen the noble streak in her son, as Saffa was seeing it now. He really would’ve made a fine soldier.

“My, my, you have changed… You were an innocent little newbie. And now look at you.”

The very thought of Lewis Miller brought back all the anger back into her brain like a tsunami wave. Saffa tried to force it down, to try and swallow it like it was one of the school’s indigestible lunches. She had to think rationally now, her adversary might be just around the corner – she couldn’t afford to let anger cloud her brain.

She came up to the Computer lab door and opened it a crack. There seemed to be no one inside. She went in very slowly, clutching the shredder. The smell of gunpowder was still in the air, and the last computer was still on. The RAF home page was still on the screen.

Saffa moved to the seat and was just about to log out – when she felt the cold barrel of a pistol against her forehead.

“Oh, no, you can’t do that,” Miller said smoothly. A shuffling sound next to him meant that Snow had showed up.

“Why ever not?” Saffa said in a cool tone, trying to keep her voice calm even though she felt like she was about to explode.

“Because I can’t afford to kill you here,” he said. “I’ve already made a mess in the grounds. Now hit Alt+L like a good girl, or I will make a mess in the lab.” He ran a hand through Saffa’s dark curly hair. “You know, you’re much better-looking as a girl than as a bird.”

“Don’t. Touch. Me,” Saffa said through gritted teeth.

“Ah, yes. That was your outerworlder friend’s job, wasn’t it? But too bad, he’s not here now. Now teleport, please.”

Saffa tried to contain her rage as she placed her shaking fingers on the keyboard. Please, please let Rose have reached soon enough…

She hit Alt+L, and the same sucking-pixelating routine began again.

When it was over, the three figures dropped through onto the green grass of the open field with the buildings of the forum seen in the distance. There didn’t seem to be a soul around, and the only sounds were the wind ruffling the grass and leaves, and the sloshing of the stream.

Saffa was a little unnerved at this – that is, until she saw a flicker of sunlight behind a cloud in the RAFsky. If Estelore was here, the others were bound to be around somewhere…

She turned slightly, and found the barrel of Miller’s gun back at her forehead. “Uh-uh-uh. You’re not going anywhere. Not until you lead me to Richard first.”

“And what if I don’t know where he is?” Saffa said ****ily. Stupid move.

“Then you die right here.” He put his finger on the trigger.

Saffa closed her eyes. Hey, Austin, wait up.

FWOOOOM!

A ball of fire flew hard and fast at Miller and right at his hand, scalding it and causing him to drop his pistol. “AAAAHHH!!”

Saffa ducked out of Miller’s way, then looked up to see Phoenix standing a few metres from her, cradling a fireball and looking pretty pleased with himself.

“Whoa! Unexpected but totally appreciated!” Saffa said, genuinely surprised.

Phoenix laughed. “We got your message – hey, look out, he’s coming back!”

Miller was reaching for the gun – but Saffa got there first, and, quick as lightning, kicked the weapon out of the way and into the air, and into the hands of a waiting, grinning Underseen.

“Thank you very much, sir,” he said cheekily.

At this point, Saffa noticed various RAFians popping up from various places. Parker – and Tyr – were leading a group of eager newbies, armed to the teeth, out from the Roleplaying Board. Seal emerged from the nearby stream, along with a soaking wet Bear. Gaz, Steph and Ash dropped out of the tree Saffa was standing next to. Dino and Noelle came storming in out of nowhere, along with Tony, Nate and a beaming Rose, while Blaze, Blue and Donut dropped down from the sky. But perhaps the most dramatic appearance was put forth by Cloak, his feline Realm Walker form rising up terrakinetically from underground (where he had probably made a little bunker).

Saffa grinned with glee. It was an ambush!

Miller grew pale. “How – how – “ he began.

Rose stepped forward, turning her invisibility off. “That ‘Andalite’ you met in the dark alley a month ago, Miller? That was no Andalite. It was me. As I have always been.”

“You – you – you’re dead, all of you!” Miller raged. He threw off his coat to reveal the Dracon beam concealed underneath. “It’s a good thing I kept this – and worked on it. Snow! After them!” he barked at the shadow-creature. And he fired right at Rose – or where he thought Rose was.

“What – argh!” He turned on Saffa. “You! At least I can have sweet revenge.”

TSEEEWW!!

Saffa wasted no time. She leaped out of the beam’s path, ran and broke away from the masses, and as she ran, she concentrated. Eventually, she had to stop, and let the talons grow out of her feet.

Meanwhile, the RAFians tackled Snow. It was a bit hard at first, what with one person after another discovering it was made of nothing penetrable.

“Now how do we… hey! Heyheyheyheyhey! PUT ME DOWN!” Nate yelled, as one tentacle grabbed his waist and hoisted him into the air.

The next tentacle went for Noelle, but she dodged it, with Andalite grace, leaving it to pick up poor Seal instead.

“Why me! All the time!” she yelled.

Saffa was fully hawk now. With her sharp eyesight she noticed Lewis Miller sprinting towards the Animorphs Board, for some reason.

She looked at his retreating figure. Then back at the battle that was taking place behind her.

Underseen saw the hawk standing uneasily on the ground. “Making the decision again, huh?”

<It didn’t work out quite so well last time when I chose Miller.>

“Yeah, but what if there are no reinforcements back next to the Animorphs Board? Someone has to go after him, right?”

Saffa looked at him with a fierce hawk glare. <So I’m good to go?>

“You’re good to go,” he said in his best airline-security-check-guy impression. “I’m giving you clearance on behalf of the rest of RAF. Besides, this is your fight. And lightning doesn’t strike twice in the same place. Which means you’re not at CSA, and you’ll finish him.”

Saffa hopped into the air and filled up her wings. She grinned inwardly. <He does not know who he’s decided to mess with. Here, take my shredder, I don’t really need it. Oh, and Underseen?>

“Yeah?”

<Water. Use water. Lots of water.>
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:08:54 AM by Saffa »

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2013, 12:50:50 AM »
Were. It's plural. :)
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2013, 01:09:17 AM »
The edit has been made.

EDIT: Okay, y'all, next chapter. We're hurtling towards the end.

Chapter Thirty-three

Saffa angled wing and took off, at top speed, generously aided by a plump thermal, towards the Animorphs Board. The door of the building had been very generously left open, and she bolted through it, to find herself in the meadow – the one that Tobias and Ax called home in the series.

She wondered why Miller had come here. This was the first time she was visiting the Board in person, and she had heard from the others it was basically composed of scenes from various moments in the series, with a different scene showing up each time you entered. That was hardly surprising; with 62 books in total, you could have an average of maybe two hundred scenes, maybe more, to choose from.

Right now, she was hovering further away from the meadow and over the suburbs. Saffa could make out a golden retriever running down a road after a speeding car. She knew instantly which book that had come from...

In the distance, she saw the mall, and then, suddenly, appearing from behind a water tank, a tall figure with a Dracon beam.

<All right, then. Time to launch the missile.>

The ‘missile’ sped towards the mall, towards the roof, hoping she wouldn’t end up having to do a Jake and falling through the skylight in tiger morph. Lewis Miller was indeed scanning the skies – but looking in the wrong direction.

Tseeeeer!” Saffa raked Miller’s head from behind. A crop of hair went flying.

“AAAAHH!”

He fired at the hawk. “So, you’re going to do this again, are you?”

TSEEEWW!! Missed!

<Yes. Yes, I am.>*

The talons brushed across Miller’s face again, right across his old scars, which opened up and caused him to start bleeding again. He was dripping with blood, and it made the Dracon rather slippery.

<Why are you here, Miller?>

“Here? You should know... is this not the heart and soul of your forum? The very foundation of it, a series that has been dead for years? Well, I’m blowing up this place, and then it will be dead for good. And so will all of you.”

<What are you, nuts?>

“This was always my plan. It was all the opening I needed – to get to you, to make you pay for what you did to me. Nothing less, nothing more. And I would finally live in peace.”

TSEEEWW!!

<Ahhh!> Saffa’s left foot was incinerated! She dropped to the ground, flailing and flapping to get some sort of altitude.

“Heh, heh, heh. Did you really think you could stop me in this puny bird form?” Miller cackled. “I’d have thought you’d learned your lesson, after what happened at CSA and all. Anyway, no matter, all the better for me...”

He aimed his Dracon at the helpless, footless hawk lying on the ground.

Then...

It dropped out of the sky like a stone! Dropped right at Miller, right across his aiming hand, and raked across the hand, sending the Dracon clattering to the ground and causing Miller to gasp at his right hand, on which he could now count only up to three.

<What in...>

The new red-tailed hawk – yes, red-tailed hawk – simply gave Saffa a thought-speak command.

<Demorph.>

Saffa gladly obliged. But even otherwise, she had a strange feeling about the hawk – and then, she realised.

<Tobias?!>

<The very same,> Tobias said in her head. <I thought you knew we existed here in the Animorphs Board…>

<No offence, but I kinda forgot.>

Tobias laughed. <That’s all right. But would you do me a favour? Get rid of this guy for me. He’s getting on all our nerves.>

<With pleasure.>

Lewis Miller unsteadily gripped the Dracon beam in his right hand, then switched to his left, which gave him no better a grip. “You infernal… I’ll make you pay for this…”

He began to get up, but was brought back down almost instantly when something struck the hollow of his knee, and sent a searing pain up his entire leg. He looked at his knee – to find a long, sharp diamond embedded in it.

“Holy… what is this?”

He turned around slowly, fear written all over his face, and gave a gasp.

Saffa had just a bit more of the demorph to finish – but she loved playing with this part, and the giant hawk wings were outstretched behind her as she towered over Miller, hair billowing in the wind, diamond in hand, like some terrifying angel. Great. Now all I need is a giant South African flag flying behind me, and the mural will be complete.

She flung the diamond at Miller. It caught him in the side. He fell to the ground, writhing.

“How… this is new!” he gasped.

“You were right. I have changed,” Saffa said indifferently, her wings slowly shrinking into her back. “But you try to mess with any country, Miller – and it will get back at you.”

Miller just stared. “Help me. Forgive me,” he breathed.

“And how am I going to guarantee it won’t happen again? For all you know, you can come after India next. It’s an opportune situation for you; there’s enough controversy flying around to start a war. And when you do – “ Saffa raised her hand, “ – maybe my sister will come after you with a barrage of stinging spices. Maybe even a strangling silk scarf. Either way, you won’t get off lightly.”

“You’re not real,” Miller said, choking and shaking his head. “You’re not real.”

“Oh, I am very real. And so are these diamonds. And they are the hardest substance on Earth, so they hurt.” She swung her hand in a sharp arc, sending an array of diamonds flying towards the ground. This one’s for you, Austin.

Silence. The silence that followed was terribly disturbing. Saffa turned away and closed her eyes. Death was a huge weight on her young head, and she had seen enough of it that night – even worse, she had just contributed to the toll.

What was happening to her? Did her emotions come in her way, her rage over the loss of Austin blind her and force her to do the unthinkable, even giving Miller a seemingly valid reason for her actions? Or was this how it was meant to be – was her destiny at RAF to be that of a calculative assassin, one whose duty is outlined in black and white?

She now understood Cloak’s reluctance to take a life, even his enemy’s. But as the earlier questions crowded back into her head… she just didn’t know what she was any more.

<It’s over,> Tobias said silently in her head, bringing her back to the present. <You can let go now.>

* - Got the reference, Abby? ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:28:02 AM by Saffa »

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2013, 06:42:03 PM »
I might... if I knew where the star was. ; P
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »
Please don't let this be the near end.
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2013, 01:42:24 AM »
Well, I've already done a lot of chapter planning, so I'm afraid that may be the case. Don't feel like a chapter now though... plus South Africa's playing India in the evening and I am throwing all patriotism out the window for this fixture. ;) Maybe tomorrow.

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2013, 02:34:38 AM »
Seriously, though. Where is that star?
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2013, 03:04:06 AM »
Uh... up there. Near the beginning. A thought-speak dialogue.

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2013, 03:56:55 AM »
Oh, there it is. I found it...

...Of COURSE I know where that came from. How many times have I ever said that since you've met me, Saffa? And for whoever doesn't know what the reference is, it's Phineas and Ferb (or at least that's where I got it from). That and the fact that I say it ALL the time. It's my favorite line. :D Like, ever.
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2013, 07:17:54 AM »
All righty then.

We lost. :facepalm: Nearly there, but... that's sport for you. Anyway. New chapter, like I promised. Lots of speeches in this one.

Chapter Thirty-four

Saffa returned to find the rest of RAF gathered in the Social Board. There were quite a few people recuperating from injuries and most of the group looked tired and worn out from the fight, but they were all laughing, chattering among themselves and generally having a good time. She smiled. It always felt good to be back.

She found Rose busy bandaging Aquilai’s leg, and went up to her. “Hey,” she said.

Rose looked up, then, dropped the roll of bandage and hugged her sister. “Is he gone? Did you do it?” she said.

Saffa shirked back – she was not really the hugging type – but returned the hug anyway. “Yeah,” she whispered. “Yeah, it’s over.”

Rose pulled away, then noticed the blank, cold stare in Saffa’s eyes. Not good. “Austin… he didn’t make it, did he? Because he’s not with you.”

Saffa took a breath. “No, he didn’t,” she said slowly. “But he died saving me. He did his duty.”

“Yeah, I guess he did.”

A solemn silence hung in the air, broken by a sudden spurt of guffaws from the group of chairs next to them. Blaze had either said something very funny or did something dumb, which was causing Steph, Parker and Blue to LOL.

Saffa shook her head and turned to Rose, who had resumed with her work on Aquilai’s leg. “So how did you guys deal with Snow?”

“Oh, it was totally crazy at first. We couldn’t get anything through it, and it just kept getting us. And it has an iron grip – “

“That’s what happened to my leg,” Aquilai put in.

“Anyway, that’s when Underseen comes running in like a lunatic yelling ‘Water! Water! Use water!’ And then I remembered your wine trick. Aquilai was epic. He was hanging in mid-air from a tentacle but managed a big lunge and whacked a pipeline – “

“Heck, even I didn’t know I could do that!”

“ – and Seal also did this cool thing where she summoned the water of the stream right onto Snow. Plus, final flourish, Cloaky opened up a geyser in the ground; so altogether, it didn’t really stand much chance after that. We don’t know if it’s totally gone or went back to the Bannedlands, but at least now we know how to get rid of it if it comes back. There, you’re done,” Rose told Aquilai.

“I can’t believe I’m actually saying this,” Saffa told Rose, “but I’m proud of you.”

Rose shrugged. “Hey, it was nothing. I actually listened to you, that’s a first, and it paid off.” She paused. “It won’t bring back Austin though.”

“I’m not expecting it to.”

Saffa went over to a table where Cloak, Gaz and Underseen were discussing the events of the day. There was another girl behind them, a teenage newbie she hadn’t seen before, looking at Saffa with interest. She smiled back.

“It’s over,” Saffa said simply, pulling a chair for herself. The others said nothing, just nodded their approval. Saffa turned to Cloak, and the look of understanding he gave her said enough: there would be time later to talk, to look at the decisions they made over their enemies… and to decide, for themselves, exactly where the line blurred.

“I heard Richard is supposed to make an appearance,” Gaz said, bringing them back to the conversation.

“Wonderful. He’s probably going to take the opportunity to make another Big Inspirational Richard Speech,” Saffa said dryly.

“Maybe this time he’ll start with ‘Friends, RAFians, Countrymen,” Underseen suggested. Then, he added, “I really hope not.”

“Of course, he’d leave out the countrymen bit,” Gaz pointed out.

It was all just pointless, general gabble – but it was so lightening after everything Saffa had just been through. The weight on her soul was reducing, slowly.

Then a tall figure stepped through the doorway and swept into the room, causing everyone to instinctively stand up out of respect – for respect was exactly what the Father of RAF commanded, especially on occasions such as these.

“Sit down, everyone,” Richard commanded in his clear, Caribbean-accented voice. “I don’t know why on Earth you all keep standing up, anyway.”

He looked at the crowd, who stared back at his expectantly. Richard surveyed the tired, battle-worn, yet happy faces of his forum, and could not but help feel proud of how far all of them had come; some more than others – and some finding their place at the right time, he thought, noticing Saffa in the back.

He cleared his throat. “Ahem. Friends, RAFians, everyone…” he began. Underseen began giving everyone around the table smug looks.

Richard continued speaking. "Another fight won... sure, it was relatively an easier trouble to weed than many others we've had in the past, but not entirely pointless. In fact, it's only reminded us even more how terrible this technology can be, if it falls into the wrong hands.

"I will not waste my breath and your time on elaborations. All of you know what you have gotten yourself into by becoming RAFians," he looked hard at the newbies in the front row as he said this, some of whom were giving him dubious looks, "a duty of guarding some of the universe's most powerful secrets, and keeping the rest of the normal world at peace by using them. The world outside isn't always full of nice, normal people who might believe you if you told them you've come into contact with aliens or you have special powers. There are many minds – like Lewis Miller – that will be thrilled to bits knowing what RAF holds, and will take it merely for personal gain."

"But what's wrong with personal gain?" a snarky voice piped up from the front. Saffa realized who it was and groaned. "I mean, hasn't RAF used a lot of alien technology for a lot of stuff? If the rest of the world can't know, then..." he was still saying.

"Shut up, Rotiart," Saffa said on impulse, loud and clear enough for all the newbies to turn around and stare at her. She suddenly felt like Meredith Grey. All these stares were annoying... The teenage girl behind her table wasn't staring, but she smiled at Saffa and gave her a thumbs-up. Fair enough. Let's get this over with.

"Look here, man," Saffa said, still addressing Rotiart though everyone else was listening, "didn't Richard already make it clear? We use technology we have access to, to keep the rest of the world at peace. And it's not like we stole it. The teleporting technology was ours on a compromise with the government, we made our intentions clear. Everything else, ask anybody. We procured it legitimately. And we're not using it to take control. So if you want to, well, the ideas are yours alone, so SHUT UP and keep them to yourself!"

The silence that followed was broken only by a few whimpering noises that came from Rotiart cowering in his chair under Saffa's glare. Then, Cloak stood up.

"She's right," he said. "Whatever else certain other organizations might say, we are not evil. And most of you have joined RAF because you know this, apart from the fact that you know of the existence of many other universes besides this one. If anything, the Miller problem has shown us that now's not the time to be bickering amongst ourselves. There's plenty more coming... and if we need to put a stop to it, we have to work together, newbies, mods, everyone."

"Exactly," Saffa said. "Look... would you all please stop staring? This day hasn't exactly been easy for me. My best friend got shot. I killed a man not knowing whether I did it off my own free will. And now this idiot in the front takes it upon himself to annoy me." She sighed. "It's a jungle out there, and we're all gonna lose something in the course of this battle. I'll move on from it all eventually. But right now, if you can help me heal, it would be very nice." She sat back down. Richard called off order, and everyone resumed what they were doing, though a few stares were thrown in Saffa's direction. She facepalmed.

"That was a nice speech," the teenage girl said. Saffa looked up at her and smiled.

"Thanks, er... ah..."

"Abby. Or Blaster. Call me whatever."

"Thanks, Abby," Saffa said. "And thank you for not staring."

"My pleasure. Heard about what happened... I'm sorry."

Saffa said nothing, but apparently Abby understood, because she turned to everyone at the table and said, "Drinks at the GESB? It's on my tab. Come for the company, Cloak."

"You're underage," Underseen said, grinning. In response, he received a friendly kick under the table. "Ow!"

"I could sure use one," Saffa declared, leaving with the other four. She'd come back to Rose later, and make plans... but right now, as she herself said, she needed time to heal. And friends like these were the best kind of Band-Aid.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:12:46 AM by Saffa »

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2013, 08:52:39 AM »
I had a feeling that that was me. :) You're awesome Saffa. ;D
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2013, 08:53:52 AM »
I know, I know. ;)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2013, 09:36:14 AM »
So. Is this gonna continue?
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2013, 01:11:39 AM »
Well, there's two more chapters left in this book, and I've already started on my next, which is rather X-Files inspired... okay! Not gonna say any more. ;) Depending on university schedules and how creative I get in the coming months, I'll decide whether I put my fics in a continuous thread like Cloak's or as standalones. The fact that I will soon be a first-year university engineering student may make me resort to doing the latter.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:24:18 AM by Saffa »