Author Topic: Group Re-read: Week 9, #8, The Alien  (Read 4096 times)

Offline TheSoulEater

Re: Group Re-read: Week 9, #8, The Alien
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 03:32:20 PM »
But he shoulda seen the writing on the wall when he gave blind and death aliens the knowledge to spacefare;
That was the point, though. Once they received his gift, they wouldn't be some backwater race of senseless slugs. They could travel the stars with the Andalites, as equals.

Of course, Seerow should have realized that eventually, the Yeerks would want bigger and better hosts. But I still don't think he could have predicted that they'd take those hosts by force. After all, the Yeerks had never once shown a tendency towards violence or ill will. They'd been nothing but friendly to the Andalites.

Not to mention that he had people like Alloran telling him of the risks.
Alloran was an insufferable, arrogant jerk. Not to mention a lower-ranking officer, at the time. I wouldn't have trusted him, either.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 05:56:37 PM »
Not to mention that he had people like Alloran telling him of the risks.
Alloran was an insufferable, arrogant jerk. Not to mention a lower-ranking officer, at the time. I wouldn't have trusted him, either.
Well I would trust Alloran some of the time, but for that situation, I'd go with my gut and do what Seerow did.

Offline V2113

• Recently Returned Raffian, RRR
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 01:58:01 AM »
Questions and Answers

1) I already mentioned that Ax had a small role in MM1, which was his first role as narrator in the series. This is his first extended narration. What do you think about seeing the war through his eyes? How do you think KAA did portraying an alien for the first time?

I think he's a little bit too distrusting. I think KAA did a very good job. This is the home of the world famous Discovering Chocolate part, after all.

2) What did you think about the prologue?

I think it was very sad. The way that Ax and Elfangor left eachother. Elfangor saying that one day their fighters will fly side by side. When ever I read that I just think, no Aximili, they never will. Maybe someday in that big fighter in the sky but never in life. Not ever.

3) In this book KA delves into the idea of honor and revenge in the Andalite culture. She also goes into the highly ritualistic culture that they have (morning rituals, death rituals, etc). Why do you think KA chose this sort of a culture for the Andalites?

To show that Andalites are very strict and by the rules type beings.

4) This book begins the exploration of Yeerk emotions. Specifically, with Eslin and Derane and their love for one another. What are your opinions on Yeerk love? Especially since they require three Yeerks to reproduce, does that change the concept of love?

Not really. It just shows that love can penetrate even the coldest and most evil of beings and that maybe there is more to yeerks than there seems to be.

5) What did you think about the Diary entries? Do you with KA had continued with them?

I think that they were... interesting.

6) We finally learn about the law of Seerow's Kindness and the origin of the Yeerk threat in this book. What was your reaction? How does this change your view of the Andalites? Does this change the Animorphs view of the Andalites, or do they still view them as the 'wonderful heroes'? Should they (given the little they know)?

1) nothing really. That's pretty much what i expected, some really bad thing. 2) It relieves me to know that even they aren't perfect. 3) no, it didn't but it probably did the same to them as to me. 4) They shouldn't,  just look at the finale!
[/quote]
I used to be V, before that I was Tobiasfan21. Then I disappeared for several months after being kidnapped by the Twilight series. Don't make me talk about it, it was horrible. Now, I'm V2113.

I am currently a Heroes fan who enjoys writing more than anything in the world.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 11:30:30 AM »
no Aximili, they never will. Maybe someday in that big fighter in the sky but never in life. Not ever.

That made me so sad, tobias, and it made me laugh so hard at the same time. Now I feel conflicted.  :-\

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 12:44:45 AM »
1) I already mentioned that Ax had a small role in MM1, which was his first role as narrator in the series. This is his first extended narration. What do you think about seeing the war through his eyes? How do you think KAA did portraying an alien for the first time?

I thought she did MUCH better then in Megamorphs, and seeing the War through his POV really brought a whole new understanding about it to the table.

2) What did you think about the prologue?

Loved it.

3) In this book KA delves into the idea of honor and revenge in the Andalite culture. She also goes into the highly ritualistic culture that they have (morning rituals, death rituals, etc). Why do you think KA chose this sort of a culture for the Andalites?

Just to give children knowledge about other cultures that are different then their own. IMO, the Andalite culture is VERY similar to the Muslim culture.

4) This book begins the exploration of Yeerk emotions. Specifically, with Eslin and Derane and their love for one another. What are your opinions on Yeerk love? Especially since they require three Yeerks to reproduce, does that change the concept of love?

I felt 'meh' about it. I mean, it was nice to see KA show us another side to the Yeerks then what we're used to seeing, but at the same time, it didn't really get me excited either. I have no feelings one way or the other about it.

5) What did you think about the Diary entries? Do you with KA had continued with them?

Yeah, they were pretty interested and it would have been great to see them continued.

6) We finally learn about the law of Seerow's Kindness and the origin of the Yeerk threat in this book. What was your reaction? How does this change your view of the Andalites? Does this change the Animorphs view of the Andalites, or do they still view them as the 'wonderful heroes'? Should they (given the little they know)?

This is our first glimpse that the Andalites aren't the all-mighty goody goody saviors they're cracked out to be, and I think it was a harsh reality that the Animorphs needed to realize. There is no black and white, only various shades of gray.

It was the Yeerks that should be hated more because they used that kindness against the Andalites. No one should be condemned for doing the right thing, even if it didn't work out for the best.

I actually really loved how that all turned out, becuase it showed that the Andalites are also not perfect, despite what they like to think. They blame the wrong people for things, and condemn everyone else because of it.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 08:01:03 PM »

Just to give children knowledge about other cultures that are different then their own. IMO, the Andalite culture is VERY similar to the Muslim culture.

Really? It reminds me of the the whole old Japanese notion of honor and whatnot.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 11:36:12 PM »
Yeah, I can see that too. Maybe it was a mix of both cultures. The honor from Japanese culture and the various rituals from Muslim culture.