Author Topic: The many unresolved "loose ends" of Animorphs...  (Read 11459 times)

Offline Alexandra

• Loren and Elfangor
The many unresolved "loose ends" of Animorphs...
« on: November 17, 2009, 05:26:30 AM »
One of the things that's always really bugged me about Animorphs is the fact that it never really tied up properly. Now, I don't mean I wanted everything in a neat little bow, far from it! But, damnit, don't just leave us hanging! Especially not with the open ending we were left with, anyway!

There were so many loose ends left dangling it's ridculous.

Was KAA overworked and unenthusiastic? Did the ghostwriters not know how to follow an outline? Was it merely lazy writing? Was she making it up as she went along and got lost, like Chris Carter did with The X Files?

What gives?!

So what loose end annoyed you the most and why? Which unanswered questions would you love to see resolved? And, of course, what are your theories on these unresolved issues?

Personally, all the issues mentioned above (and a few others) bug me an awful lot. But my real pet hates on that list have to be the Ellimist's (re)productive stay on the Andalite Homeworld and what its signifigance was; what the hell happened to Loren after the war; what happened to Mertil after Gafinilan's death; Madra and her fate (being named after a Yeerk moon probably didn't help); and the eventual outcome of Crayak and Ellimist's game.

Offline anijen21

Re: The many unresolved "loose ends" of Animorphs...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 10:25:27 AM »
iawtp THE ABSOLUTE MOST FRUSTRATING THING ABOUT THE SERIES!!

but, fortunately for us, there are a lot of really talented fic authors who have taken it upon themselves to answer some of these questions, many of which exceed canon in a lot of ways. That's one reason I'm so obsessed with this series; it's the only thing I've ever read that inspires me to write so much. Not even just fic, even issues that never got addressed that would have been interesting to explore, a lot having to do with the morphing technology. A lot of good sci-fi that never went unearthed.

So much of the stuff I watch carries the caveat of not having enough story (Mad Men, LOST at this point...) but the great thing about Animorphs was that its curse was it carried too much
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 10:49:25 AM »
What happened to Mertil? Well, I would think he might have gotten Marco's help. The guy could well afford to make Mertil a nice area to live in, and buy him a prosthetic tail. If he wanted privacy, Marco could hire a few people to make sure no one got close to Mertil when he wanted to be alone.

What happened to Loren? How did she feel about having her son back? How did she feel when he left her after Rachel's death? Why didn't Tobias get the chapter right after Rachel's death, instead of three years later?

Why didn't Toby leave to try to save her homeworld and the rest of her people after the war? what happened to the Hork-Bajir resistance that was started in book 34?

Why would you make up the Kelbrid and the One in order to show that conflict never ends, when the anti-alien terrorist groups performed the same purpose without ending the series in a cliffhanger? Why didn't you have Rachel survive the war and fight terrorists instead of killing her off after having the others think she wouldn't be able to handle peacetime? Not that there really is a peacetime with anti-alien terrorists running around.

What happened to Madra, and the son, and did they find out about V1? What happened to Nora, and how did she take the news about eva? Is she still a friend of the family?

What did Tom think when he found out about Jake? What did Jake and Rachel's parents think of Jake after the war?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:50:16 AM by Chad28 »

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Fwahm

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 08:01:55 PM »
The unresolved plot point I'd like addressed most is the strange third omnipotent-ish entity at the end of book 41.

I mean, who the hell was that?

Offline anijen21

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 08:03:55 PM »
I always thought it was just this guy:

[img width= height=]http://thecia.com.au/star-trek/next-generation/4/10a14.jpg[/img]

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:06:36 PM »
Not sure who that was supposed to be, but some people like to give it closure by saying it was the One. I just think it was unimportant, but if it was unimportant why couldn't it just be a regular nightmare?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 10:57:53 PM »
too many choices! (i think we should get 2 picks each)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 11:01:57 PM »
The One was definitely the biggest unresolved plot point for me.  Him, and the Kelbrid race.  I think that book would have been so much more meaningful if its cliffhanger had been a face-off against some known enemy.  Bringing in new baddies right before the end just feels . . . anticlimactic.  You know?  KA could have at least given us more than simply the name "Kelbrid" and a brief look at the One.

I've never bought the idea that the One had anything to do with Ellimist and Crayak's game.  If he did, don't you think he would have had a stronger influence on them before this?  Besides just a (possible) mention in #41 (if that was even him)?

Lol, nice pic, anijen.

WHO were the Ellimist's Andalite descendants? Was this important?

To be honest, I've never even thought about the fruits of the Ellimist's stay on the Andalite homeworld.  But that is a very interesting question.  I'd be willing to put some money down that Elfangor, Ax, and Seerow were all part of the Ellimist's bloodline.  Which would explain why he had such an interest in Elfangor, Tobias, and Jara Hamee and his family (who is descended from Seerow, let's not forget).

Somebody needs to write a fanfic about this.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 11:06:14 PM »

There is a "more than one choice above" option. I clicked that because quite a few up there are good. About the only thing that bothered me that wan't listed was the Toby thing.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 11:17:24 PM »

There is a "more than one choice above" option. I clicked that because quite a few up there are good. About the only thing that bothered me that wan't listed was the Toby thing.

it's still more helpful in a poll to see the choices you'd choose.
want me to edit the poll to allow this?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 11:19:05 PM »
You could do that, yes.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 11:20:34 PM »
done, you can now change vote and vote on 4 of them.
if alex has a problem with it i shall change it back.

edit: how about, what happened to david?

Offline anijen21

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 11:27:46 PM »
he died

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 10:45:16 AM »
Rachel probably did kill him. He definitely wanted to die, and it's doubtful that Rachel could convince either one of them that his current existance was better than death.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Green armadillo ette

• If at first you don't  succeed, redefine success.
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 08:54:32 PM »
WHO were the Ellimist's Andalite descendants?
I would bet money that Ax, Elfangor, and Tobias where descendants. And Aldrea, Seerow (her son), Jara Hamee, and Toby. Arbon is a bonus descendant. But not Seerow the andalite. 
How was the Time Matrix created?
Maybe the Ellimist while making some species then gave it to the pemalites to keep safe. Then when they died, the chee put it in the top of a pyramid.
How did Tobias tell Ax and the others that Elfangor was his father?
This question is part of a thread I made. It's called " I just realized how nonexistent Ax's history is".
Who the HELL was The One?! Was he the "other power" the Ellimist spoke of?
May it's Father or the dude that ran Crayak out of his Galaxy. It would be funny if the One was a girl.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 11:32:28 PM by Green armadillo ette »
Last night, I laid back in my bed staring up at the stars, and I thought to myself ... I probably should fix that hole in my roof.