Author Topic: Rumor has it, that an Animorphs 2.0 might be in the works...with Scholastic!  (Read 20710 times)

Offline wolfev

it could be a good venue for the return of Jake's younger brother Joseph, who had Cassie's role. I know a lot of people hated Cassie's moralizing, but then again, she is K.A.'s character and she might have liked her, which suggests she might keep her instead of inserting Joseph.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
joseph?

Offline wolfev

In the original draft of Animorphs Jake was named Matt and had a little brother named Joseph who took Cassie's part in the group. It was call The Changelings
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Alaphlosiam

I would definitely love a rewrite of the series and/or a continuation. As stated above, if it were aimed at an older audience, that would be great. It would also make room for jokes involving morphing animals of a different sex.

Also, if they use the above-suggested bigger book idea, they could indeed make movies out of the series. Of course, I'd still personally back up the possibility of a cartoon series for Animorphs (we all know how bad the TV show was, due to the terrible lack of PROPER TECHNOLOGY and whatnot).
My IRC channel is #asiannegro on the Rizon server (irc.rizon.net).

Offline EscafilDevice

Hey, I'm not saying she has the best author integrity. I'm just saying that the one time she actually made a realistic statement and stood up for her work, we owe it to her to take her seriously.

You did read the ghostwritten books, right? Probably even knowing they were ghostwritten, you read them, neh?
Now, if you read them before buying them, but you bought them anyway, then you really aren't in any position to argue that point. If you never bought them or weren't aware of the ghostwriting, then maybe it's valid enough.

When you purchase a piece of art not-previously-viewed, you are doing it with the understood risk that you may not like it.
If you commission a piece of art, you're still expected to pay for it. The artist still did work on it. In these cases, it just wasn't the same artist every time.
*shrug*

Did you read anything that I wrote?

I stand by my statement that she has no right to talk about author integrity. The last book was a bad plot that was badly implemented. It's as simple as that.

And be honest with me, Escafil... as much as you appear to hate the last book, would you have ANY respect left for Applegate if she just said... OOPS! I REALLY meant it to say THIS....

Applegate has never admitted that she was wrong beyond a series of tiny "KASUs" that are mainly typographical errors. Remember her "letter to the fans" after people complained about the last book?

I would respect her if she gave the series an ending that it deserved.

*grinds teeth*

Don't let your dentist catch you doing that.

And don't be hashing JarJar! He served a purpose other than being a flippin' plotbunny! All things considered, he was well thought-out.

*cough*UnlikeGrievous....

Are you delusional?

Offline Chad32

• God
I would definitely love a rewrite of the series and/or a continuation. As stated above, if it were aimed at an older audience, that would be great. It would also make room for jokes involving morphing animals of a different sex.

Also, if they use the above-suggested bigger book idea, they could indeed make movies out of the series. Of course, I'd still personally back up the possibility of a cartoon series for Animorphs (we all know how bad the TV show was, due to the terrible lack of PROPER TECHNOLOGY and whatnot).
Oh, they had the technology. They just didn't want to use it.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Hylian Dan

Animorphs 2.0? The idea has me very interested, it'll be sweet if something comes from it.

But visiting this place again just to see more never-ending whining about ghostwriters, book 54 and KA is pretty grating...
Sorry, I can't help myself:

It was laziness. Pure and simple.
Why don't you go write a book every month for the next decade then come back here and talk about laziness.

KA was writing Everworld at that time for the sake of fans who felt they had outgrown Animorphs. The ghostwriters were a natural solution given that KA and Michael had ghostwritten entries of other series, so they would be familiar and comfortable with that idea. Everworld turned out to be relatively difficult to write, and as they worked with the ghostwriters KA and Michael discovered that management wasn't quite their forte. Some mistakes were made, some lessons were learned, and not all of the Animorphs books were of the highest quality. Oh well. That's life.

I stand by my statement that she has no right to talk about author integrity. The last book was a bad plot that was badly implemented. It's as simple as that.

The last book was an extended epilogue, not intended to provide the same sort of reading experience as regular entries. The plot is not the main point once the story jumps ahead several years. From there, the rest is about bringing closure to the characters and to the thematic content of the story.

Hackneyed writing wouldn't have the overwhelming emotional power that book 54 has. In terms of emotion, it seems to have achieved the intended effect - a sense of what life is like after returning from war. Which is the sort of ending the series deserved.

The characterization sheds light on the strengths and weaknesses of the various Animorphs' coping mechanisms throughout the war, showing what their outcomes are. Which is a part of the story that deserved to be written.

I don't have complaints about the introduction of the Kelbrid and The One. So these specific entities weren't explicitly set up beforehand - okay, so what? It's kind of a given that the Animorphs universe is overflowing with sentient alien species, with new ones constantly popping into the story at any time. That's how alien species have been handled throughout the series, so when that device is used at the end of the story it suddenly becomes sloppy and lazy? I don't feel that the Kelbrid and The One needed to be set up beforehand because as they stand, the two entities serve as fine symbols representing the ultimate evils of the Animorphs story in thematic terms. The power of those symbols might have been compromised if we'd known about their existence for the span of a dozen books.

Cliffhangers were a staple of the Animorphs writing style. Just about every chapter would lead to some big dramatic cliffhanger of some sort. So ending the series with the mother-of-all-cliffhangers isn't sloppy and thoughtless - more along the lines of the ending the series deserved, as opposed to the ending readers would want. The cliffhanger does an excellent job of summarizing who the Animorphs are, what they stand for, and what the story has been about from the start. But nobody seems to care, because whining about it is more gratifying than contemplating it.

And gee, how dare KA be excited about the new series she's about to begin? What sort of nerve she had, to be looking forward to her next big thing?

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
Animorphs 2.0? The idea has me very interested, it'll be sweet if something comes from it.

But visiting this place again just to see more never-ending whining about ghostwriters, book 54 and KA is pretty grating...
Sorry, I can't help myself:

It was laziness. Pure and simple.
Why don't you go write a book every month for the next decade then come back here and talk about laziness.

KA was writing Everworld at that time for the sake of fans who felt they had outgrown Animorphs. The ghostwriters were a natural solution given that KA and Michael had ghostwritten entries of other series, so they would be familiar and comfortable with that idea. Everworld turned out to be relatively difficult to write, and as they worked with the ghostwriters KA and Michael discovered that management wasn't quite their forte. Some mistakes were made, some lessons were learned, and not all of the Animorphs books were of the highest quality. Oh well. That's life.

The last book was an extended epilogue, not intended to provide the same sort of reading experience as regular entries. The plot is not the main point once the story jumps ahead several years. From there, the rest is about bringing closure to the characters and to the thematic content of the story.

Hackneyed writing wouldn't have the overwhelming emotional power that book 54 has. In terms of emotion, it seems to have achieved the intended effect - a sense of what life is like after returning from war. Which is the sort of ending the series deserved.

The characterization sheds light on the strengths and weaknesses of the various Animorphs' coping mechanisms throughout the war, showing what their outcomes are. Which is a part of the story that deserved to be written.

I don't have complaints about the introduction of the Kelbrid and The One. So these specific entities weren't explicitly set up beforehand - okay, so what? It's kind of a given that the Animorphs universe is overflowing with sentient alien species, with new ones constantly popping into the story at any time. That's how alien species have been handled throughout the series, so when that device is used at the end of the story it suddenly becomes sloppy and lazy? I don't feel that the Kelbrid and The One needed to be set up beforehand because as they stand, the two entities serve as fine symbols representing the ultimate evils of the Animorphs story in thematic terms. The power of those symbols might have been compromised if we'd known about their existence for the span of a dozen books.

Cliffhangers were a staple of the Animorphs writing style. Just about every chapter would lead to some big dramatic cliffhanger of some sort. So ending the series with the mother-of-all-cliffhangers isn't sloppy and thoughtless - more along the lines of the ending the series deserved, as opposed to the ending readers would want. The cliffhanger does an excellent job of summarizing who the Animorphs are, what they stand for, and what the story has been about from the start. But nobody seems to care, because whining about it is more gratifying than contemplating it.

And gee, how dare KA be excited about the new series she's about to begin? What sort of nerve she had, to be looking forward to her next big thing?

dude! +1 totally +1

you really need to post more often
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline Chad32

• God
She didn't have to start other books. Cliffhangers are fine in the middle of a series and bad at the end, because in the middle of the series things have a chance at being resolved. That serves the purpose of a cliffhanger. There is no purpose of a cliffhanger at the end, because cliffhangers are supposed to be used to keep readers reading.

I feel like I'm just repeating things over and over. Obviously some fans just think differently from others. some are fine with it and some aren't. Some cry fanboy, and others cry no true scotsman. My head hurts.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
i like when series end in cliffhangers, it leaves them open to interpretation and fanfics :p

though i really wish she had killed more main characters
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline Hylian Dan

The purpose of the ending cliffhanger is stylistic closure. Animorphs was badass from the start, and it received the ultimate badass ending.

Offline Alaphlosiam

i like when series end in cliffhangers, it leaves them open to interpretation and fanfics :p

though i really wish she had killed more main characters
Cliffhangers are normally okay, but I don't like this one. Most fanfics I've seen are pretty trashy, and this was one series I wanted a definite end to.

Also, I wish Cassie had died. I really just hated her.
My IRC channel is #asiannegro on the Rizon server (irc.rizon.net).

Offline wolfev

getting back to the topic at hand...

Offline Chad32

• God
Honestly, I may not want to see an Ani 2.0 unless I knew certain changed would be made. At least some changes that I've gone over before in other discussions.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
In regards to the end of the series...
Whether you love it or hate it, you have to admit that it had a powerful effect. After all, HOW many threads have existed (or have gotten sidetracked) just to praise/complain about it?

In regards to Animorphs 2.0...

First off, I find it difficult to believe that this project will come to fruition. If it does, then I anticipate a major overhaul. The entire series may not be re-released, a condensed version of the important bits may be. 2.0 may deal with completely different characters, time periods, etc. It may take place after the war with the Yeerks is over (in fact, that seems the most logical, since it is linear with the series).

I think the thing to keep in mind is, if there IS an Animorphs 2.0 about half of us will hate it, half of us will love it and there will be a million threads dedicated to tearing it apart or raising it up. :)

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013