Author Topic: Look...  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Panic

Look...
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:01:28 AM »
Has anyone noticed Applegate's insane overuse of the word look?

As in: "Look, guys, I'm going to this..."

Not entirely annoying, just weird once I noticed it...
Lets hear a round of applause for the word yeah!

YEAH!

Offline filmstu2005

Re: Look...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:52:26 AM »
Lol, yea i noticed. It was overy used. Like, every single Animorph said the word 'look' before starting a sentence. Marco and Rachel were the worst.

But since we're on that subject, I found it odd how Marco was this guy who clearly didnt care for reading, especially long books, and yet there he was in his narrative referencing Tolkien and Lord of the Rings. And many times i might add.

And i know it was only because KA was a big Tolkien lover, but still, bad characterization for Marco. Contradicts his behavior. It would be easy to see he didnt want people to think he actualyl read books, but come on., all the animorphs referenced similar things...

Offline nothlitlifestyles

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 01:00:51 AM »
But since we're on that subject, I found it odd how Marco was this guy who clearly didnt care for reading, especially long books, and yet there he was in his narrative referencing Tolkien and Lord of the Rings. And many times i might add.

Would I be able to ask which marco book has the reference? I'd like to go back and see that. I never noticed it, of course I was never a huge lotr fan so I probably would have just read it without thinking twice, only read the lotr series once.

Offline filmstu2005

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 01:14:24 AM »
dont remember. But there were several i believe. And in one he compared Rachel to a fenale Tolkien elf. Beautiful but deadly.

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 05:51:59 AM »
Yeah, in the Look thing, it was made in the point of view and of speaking of kids. Look, maybe everyday people just use "look" a lot.  ;D
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 07:46:53 PM »
I haven't notice..but now i'm gonna..ahh
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline Panic

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 09:32:21 PM »
Once you notice something, it's pretty hard to stop noticing, lol.
Lets hear a round of applause for the word yeah!

YEAH!

Offline ANItiger13

• ....Yay....
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to the basics
    • Ken/UMP's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 09:49:24 PM »
Yeah, they do say a lot of things repetitively. "Look" was definitely one of them and I just thought of one I can no longer remember.
There's a method to my madness, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 09:53:27 PM »
lol, i started recording my lines for tobias, and like my third line is "look", my fourth is "just look"
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline Kagebutterfly

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 10:18:53 PM »
Rachel made a Lord of the Rings elf reference about Chapman's daughter in book two, and Marco failed to read one of the Lord of the Rings books for a book report in book five

hope that helps

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 09:24:46 AM »
I think things like this happen with pretty much any writer. No matter what you're writing, parts of your writing (or speaking) style show through your work. I sometimes notice similar things when I read through my own writing.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 08:17:41 PM »
I think things like this happen with pretty much any writer. No matter what you're writing, parts of your writing (or speaking) style show through your work. I sometimes notice similar things when I read through my own writing.
like what?
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 09:16:47 PM »
like what?

Just little things really, like repeated use of certain words, or the way I describe things. You know how you can go weeks without using a word and then one day you end up saying it loads?
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 09:18:19 PM »
yea, if you look through my writings, i say "he/she smiled" alot. i try to catch it and say different things, but i often dont
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 09:25:10 PM »
like what?

Just little things really, like repeated use of certain words, or the way I describe things. You know how you can go weeks without using a word and then one day you end up saying it loads?
oh yeah :)