Author Topic: Animorphs Twenty-Ten  (Read 2198 times)

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
Animorphs Twenty-Ten
« on: February 07, 2011, 08:32:07 PM »
     I was just wondering right now; would the Animorphs have won the war in twenty-first century? Yea, I've read some fanfiction that put the Animorphs in the Year 2010, but I really wonder if all the progress made in technology would hinder, rather than aid the Animorphs in their ventures?

The kafit-seagull fight mentioned in the Decision (also mentioned by me in another topic) would have been much more of a threat to both sides--Yeerk and Animorphs-- because everyone who saw it would have had a black berry, iphone or other type of camera phone. That would have been on every website that allowed you to watch videos. I mean, the Yeerks can't possibly hide EVERYTHING; that would mean infesting everyone and anyone who witnessed one of their many screw ups.

Someone could have seen them morphing. I mean, it's California, so you'd think they'd be found out within a few weeks.

Personally, I'm on the fence. There are a lot of good arguments that say the Animorphs could have defeated the Yeerks a lot sooner. Others point to Yeerk victory. Honestly, I haven't thought about it long enough to form an actual opinion. Any thoughts on your part?
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline FATELUVR95

Re: Animorphs Twenty-Ten
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:03:43 PM »
Also, with all of the deforestation, Ax's hiding place might've been discovered.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:09:08 PM »
     Although, texting would pretty much eliminate the need for them to thought speak, with the exception of Ax and Tobias. Also, they wouldn't have to worry about the phone lines being bugged or traced...Unless, of course, their cellphone providers turn out to be Controllers...But could they figure out ways to trace Text Messages? Probably.

Also, given that teens today tend to get sucked into trends, expensive clothing and reality TV, would these new Animorphs be reliable? I mean, would we be able to depend on a person like Rachel (an excessive shopoholic in the nineties) or a guy like Marco (who's taste for video games will only worsen with the invention of Call of Duty and the PS3)...Man, earth's screwed...

Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:11:22 PM »
and this is why I await the reprints: If they don't update them, well that's just tacky, but if they set it in the now-well we'll see what they do
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline sublime88stang

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »
I think that they would have had a similar time in the war, they would have just had to have been even more careful, now that everyone has a cell phone with a video camera on it. In fact now that i think of it, sometimes the only reason they survived was due to human disbelief.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »
     Also, there were times when I was reading the books, and there would be these characters--be they human or human-controller, or any other type of Controller--who would pass by the Animorphs, or stumble upon the Animorphs after or when they were doing something and write it off as "just a noise", or a "trick of the light" or, "something cool". The sheer stupidity of some of these no-named characters is amazing. I mean, really! You would think that humans, being curious by nature, would investigate.
Tony's pet Goose.
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)

Offline Nar Klawip

• Raf's Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed Howler
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 01:04:11 AM »
          The kafit-seagull fight mentioned in the Decision (also mentioned by me in another topic) would have been much more of a threat to both sides--Yeerk and Animorphs-- because everyone who saw it would have had a black berry, iphone or other type of camera phone. That would have been on every website that allowed you to watch videos. I mean, the Yeerks can't possibly hide EVERYTHING; that would mean infesting everyone and anyone who witnessed one of their many screw ups.

Someone could have seen them morphing. I mean, it's California, so you'd think they'd be found out within a few weeks.

I always kinda assumed that's how they got found out. Lots of fans think it was David , but I always thought it was that kid in #42 The Journey who took a picture of them demorphing, as far as I know they never got that camera back.
"When life gives you lemons you make lemonade. When a dying Andalite Prince gives you the morphing power? Well then you make miracles." ~Me

“Screams of a billion murdered stars give lie to the night's peace, while we cling desperately to the few fragile spinning stones we call worlds." ~Hasturi the Mad Perseid, Andromeda

“Well, remember what you said, because in a day or two, I'll have a witty and blistering retort! You'll be devastated THEN!” ~ Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 05:54:23 PM »
If it was set now I can imagine the Animorphs constantly buying cheap used phones or ipods, as people tend to take their phones everywhere and they would lose them when they morphed. Obviously they wouldn't take them on missions, but there were several times when they morphed spur of the moment.

Nice theory Gumrad, but I believe Marco grabbed the camera at the end of #42.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

NateSean

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 10:17:44 AM »
And in this day and age of cheap digital cameras, memory cards, and just about everyone owning a laptop and/or mobile storage device the camera would have been the tip of the iceberg that sank the Animorphs.

Then you have the threat of global warming. The constant threat of diseases like SARS, Bird flu, Swine flu and every other form of flu that's been cranked out. I have a feeling the Yeerks would get wise and start transplanting humans to an offworld colony

On the otherhand, the coverup of a "vaccination" would be the perfect recruitment tool for the Yeerks. Get a yeerk in your head, never get a disease again.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 11:01:31 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the tactics used by The Sharing. The odds are the Yeerks can cure certain diseases, and if so it'd be pretty easy to convince someone with a terminal disease to choose enslavement over death. Obviously not all of them would, but if they're desperate enough...

For the most part though, Yeerks won't care about human diseases and other problems affecting our planet. They want our bodies and our resources, but if worst comes to worst they won't really care about the planet itself.

I'm glad this topic has been brought up though, as it has reminded me of a problem in my fanfic. I altered the timeline to coincide with modern day, but I'm thinking of changing it back to avoid certain issues like mobile phones and such.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 11:15:27 PM »
I'm actually wondering what happened ti the kid who took that picture. His bull dog had rabies so maybe the dog ripped apart the camera or ripped the kid apart. Frankly if the animorphs get discovered then in that same sense the yeerks would get found out then every guerrilla fighter, soldier, and crazy person would take up arms against them and nuke the pool ship.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

NateSean

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 01:18:37 PM »
I'm fairly certain Marco got a hold of the camera. Or he grabbed it on the way out of the house, after he morphed back from roach and was thus cured of the rabies.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 02:09:50 PM »
but THE DOG still had rabies. Even if he didn't get it they might have needed to evacuate because of the dog.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 02:45:57 PM »
but THE DOG still had rabies. Even if he didn't get it they might have needed to evacuate because of the dog.

Why would a sick dog blow the Animorphs' cover?