Author Topic: What happens to the voluntary human controllers after the war post #54?  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Re: What happens to the voluntary human controllers after the war post #54?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 02:56:54 PM »
I still think it would be incredibly difficult to round up all the involuntaries. And even then, it would be difficult to distinguish who was truly betraying humanity.

I mean, what if you became voluntary because otherwise a Controller would kill your family? Or, what if you're a five year old kid who agrees because you don't know any better? What if you're a person with terminal cancer and the Yeerks offer a cure?

I think that the idea of voluntary infestation goes much deeper than your typical traitorous acts.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »
Yeah, which is why I didn't really like how the Anis labeled all voluntaries scum. Blanket statements and generalizations rarely hold for long.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »
Yeah, which is why I didn't really like how the Anis labeled all voluntaries scum. Blanket statements and generalizations rarely hold for long.

Agreed. I, for one, think that were the Aniverse real there is a great possibility that I would be a voluntary controller. It isn't because I want to betray humanity, and I certainly would not consider myself a traitor. More of an opportunist. I certainly wouldn't do it out of hatred for the human race, or a desire for them to be ruled by an evil empire.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 03:38:22 AM »
Despite the fact that becoming a voluntary controller is absolute treason (the equivalent in many ways to being a Kapo) i doubt there would be much penalty: look at David Hicks and John Walker Lindh: both men are absolute traitors but the media treats them as victims... whilst the penalty for treason used to be burning alive for women, and hanging drawing and quartering for men todays society is pretty soft of traitors.

Offline roguebluejay

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 01:46:31 AM »
Not a bad idea russianspy, not a bad idea at all. It may seem unethical, but hey, governments have crossed the lines into the shady gray area for the greater good.

The ends justifies the means. Having human CIA agents or the FBI being morph-capable and morphing into a yeerk and go into the suspects head for a couple of minutes until they learn the truth is a fool proof way and could prove once and for all if that person is 100% innocent or 100% guilty. They could use it for other crimes too. Law enforcement would have a great deal of uses for the yeerks abilities. People have been suggesting it for use in psychology and psychiatry anyway. Why not law enforcement too? It would bring 'beyond reasonable doubt' to a whole new literal level.

Ahhh the 'thought police' eh? I don't see how that could create a dystopian society. Nope.

In all honesty I think that it should be something you have to volunteer for. Like if there was all this evidence against you and it was the ONLY way you could prove your innocence.

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 11:51:28 AM »
Not a bad idea russianspy, not a bad idea at all. It may seem unethical, but hey, governments have crossed the lines into the shady gray area for the greater good.

The ends justifies the means. Having human CIA agents or the FBI being morph-capable and morphing into a yeerk and go into the suspects head for a couple of minutes until they learn the truth is a fool proof way and could prove once and for all if that person is 100% innocent or 100% guilty. They could use it for other crimes too. Law enforcement would have a great deal of uses for the yeerks abilities. People have been suggesting it for use in psychology and psychiatry anyway. Why not law enforcement too? It would bring 'beyond reasonable doubt' to a whole new literal level.

I didn't bring it up as a good idea, I brought it up as  bad idea and being the only way to tell.  It doesn't bring beyond reasonable doubt to a new level because there is still that issue of police lying.  There is the issue that not all Yeerks were soldiers, sure it seems most were, but a lot were probably just scientists, or maybe just looking for a way to see and hear, and really, aside from the war, a symbiotic relationship where you share experienes and inteligence could work out.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 11:08:21 AM »
I agree with Terenia and the other RAFians who said that you can't really know why they became voluntary... And I'm totally against CIA guys morphing Yeerks to read minds... If they really want to read minds, I'd prefer they morph Leerans!

Looking for the treaters, you can make a lot of mistakes. How many women, after the WW2, were shaved because they were "treaters"?! Because they had German boyfriends?! But all the Germans weren't real Nazis, and sometimes the women went out with Nazis to have informations for the resistance, and love makes you blind: you can fall in love with a monster, but forget he's a monster... So many situations, so many stories... Hunting them would be kind of stupid. They would have enough Yeerks to hunt to not care about the few real Human treaters... I think.
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline roguebluejay

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 09:22:03 AM »

I think we can forgive alot of what the Anis do, because (at the start at least) they were children. Children who saw things in extremes, black white, good and evil.

I'm mostly okay with the ghostwriters but I felt this was something that fell by the wayside. I wish they had developed in a more rational way as opposed to jerking forward and then being wrenched back into innocence.

Offline Gafrash

Whoa! This is a question I never pondered about until this thread. Indeed, this would be a real test to humanity as civilization.
This war wasn't like the past wars fought on Earth. The enemy was as sneaky as it was powerful. Visser One had learned quite a bit about humans by the time the Yeerks made their move to conquer Earth.
So by the end of the war, there was still a significant number of voluntary controllers. And, conversely, some of those were betrayers of the Yeerks concurrently. Whatever happened to them post-war?!
Personally, I don't think those w
Some of those human KNEW what they were doing, yes, but I still see the voluntary controllers as people who were tricked or emotionally 'led' into becoming who they are. Regardless, if someone like, say, Mr.Tidwell, went to them voluntarily, the Yeerks still 'placed their 'hooks'' through their Sharing marketting and all these people gravitated to them.

My thoughts echo anijen21's here.
I'd kind of hope after an ordeal like that, we'd just offer amnesty. Move forward, not back you know?
Even if they thought they were allying themselves, they were being sadly tricked. And the Justice system should give latitude to that. A kid that went to the Yeerks' cause, because his life was crappy and he felt he could make it worth something, is not really different to some of the Anis we love and cared. Is it?!
So I think these people deserve some sort of amnesty, too.

Offline Tim Bruening

So the cops would hire lots of Yeerks after the war?