Author Topic: "Our Summer Vacation" OOC thread  (Read 38699 times)

Offline Unknown User

• RAF's Official Ellimist Expert
  • Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
Re: "Our Summer Vacation" OOC thread
« Reply #1200 on: April 02, 2011, 12:57:20 PM »
How many ways do I have to Explain the situation to the Andalite?! Didn't my previous posts make it abundantly clear as to why the mission is needed?
Meh.

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #1201 on: April 02, 2011, 01:37:10 PM »
He knows why you say the mission is needed.  It just doesn't make sense.  There are plenty of yeerks that know that they are morph capable.  If even one of them isn't part of the peace movement, then they don't accomplish anything by destroying the files.  So first, he has to trust Kildor to be honest.  Second, he has to trust that Kildor is correct to think that all of the yeerks that know that they are morphers are part of the peace movement.  That's not likely considering that they organized a search for ONE person.  Nobody knows why?

Kildor is asking them to walk into the most dangerous place on Earth.  All access points are controlled by the yeerks.  There are a few thousand controllers there.  They are supposed to attack the most elite forces the yeerks have, who outnumber the morphers.  And then they are supposed to just walk out like nothing happened.  Oh, and they have about 12 hours to rest, plan the mission, and then conduct it, without knowing anything about the yeerk pool.

How is it confusing that he thinks this is incredibly stupid?

Offline Unknown User

• Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #1202 on: April 02, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »
It may have it's flaws. If the mission doesn't seem worth it to you guys, then don't go. No one said you HAD to accept, it's cool either way. I'm just offering a mission, because we haven't really gone on one yet. Not to mention that the visser knowing that your human would realistically spell doom for Jake and the gang, as I pointed out.

Your the leader, what you say goes. ;)
Meh.

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #1203 on: April 02, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »
The Visser could find out that they are humans without the computer files from the yeerks who know that they are human.  I'm saying that they don't gain anything from the mission.  Even if they did, they don't serve any purpose by all dieing in the attempt.

I don't see a way to justify this without completely ignoring everything that's happened so far and every military maxim ever written.

Here's a quick summary to make it easier:
They don't gain anything by winning.
They won't win.
They are attacking a larger, better armed, better trained, and more experienced force.
They are walking into an area that is completely controlled by the yeerks.
There are limited access points in and out, all of which are guarded.
There are literally thousands of controllers there.
They have zero combat experience.
They don't know anything about where they are going.

Post Merged: April 02, 2011, 02:22:00 PM
WTH???
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:22:00 PM by donut »

Offline Unknown User

• Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #1204 on: April 02, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »
Why should that stop them from trying? Also, what do you mean by saying they WOn'T win, your character can't know that ahead of time...

As far as saying they gain nothing from victory, that makes no sense at all?! How does killing the leader of the enemy army gain you nothing? How is it not a victory?

You have the backing of the rebel yeerks, It's not as if I'm sending you to certain doom.
Meh.

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #1205 on: April 02, 2011, 02:54:56 PM »
It's literally a thousand to one.  Thermopylae this ain't.

Are they there to kill the visser, or there to delete the computer files?

The rebels are willing to expose themselves to join us in battle?  How many of them are there?  Because if it's less than a hundred, we're still fairly screwed by attacking.  Even with more than that, we still won't win.  We'd just be able to do a lot of damage.

There are 5 morphers.  Lose one, and they lose 20% of there combat strength.  There's a good chance that they'd all die.  That's a really good reason to not go.  There has to be a flippin' good reason to attempt something that will likely get every one of them killed.  Like, winning the entire war.  Killing Visser 3 won't accomplish that.

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #1206 on: April 02, 2011, 05:13:03 PM »
Um.... and we can't kill Visser Three. It isn't allowed. :P

I'll post more once I'm caught up with the RP....

Offline Unknown User

• Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #1207 on: April 02, 2011, 10:02:58 PM »

It's literally a thousand to one.  Thermopylae this ain't.

Are they there to kill the visser, or there to delete the computer files?

The rebels are willing to expose themselves to join us in battle?  How many of them are there?  Because if it's less than a hundred, we're still fairly screwed by attacking.  Even with more than that, we still won't win.  We'd just be able to do a lot of damage.

There are 5 morphers.  Lose one, and they lose 20% of there combat strength.  There's a good chance that they'd all die.  That's a really good reason to not go.  There has to be a flippin' good reason to attempt something that will likely get every one of them killed.  Like, winning the entire war.  Killing Visser 3 won't accomplish that.

The Rebels will be fighting the Vissers men, and no one said you had to kill every yeerk in the complex. Make it a surprise attack and then withdraw if it becomes to much. I'm not asking it to be like a civil war battle were you stand in groups and exchange volleys. The Ani's snuck in to the complex and fought tooth and  claw with the yeerks every other book.

Your being to cautious. Your picturing this huge battle, I'm picturing and assassination attempt.
Meh.

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #1208 on: April 02, 2011, 11:25:02 PM »

I'm picturing it start to finish.  They have to infiltrate the pool, then they have to locate Visser 3, then they need a way to kill him without getting close to him because he has his personal gaurd around-that means they need to get dracon beams or explosives, which requires breaking into the yeerk pool's armory-then they need to get back to the Visser, shoot him, get away from his POed cronies, escape the 1,000+ controllers who are in the yeerk pool, then make it out one of the yeerk pool entrances that are sure to be guarded because the yeerks know those are the only ways in and out.

They have to do all of this without knowing the layout of the yeerk pool, without setting off any alarms before they shoot the visser, and without ever having been in a real battle before.

All the rebels will die.  The morphers will almost certainely die. If they do succeed, Visser 3 is dead.  The yeerks aren't defeated, they just put the next person in charge, but then there's no one left to fight them, so the yeerks win.

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #1209 on: April 02, 2011, 11:46:54 PM »
No, like, really. We cannot kill Visser Three. Our RP has to leave the series timeline/canon intact.

Offline Unknown User

• Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #1210 on: April 03, 2011, 12:12:22 AM »
I think your underestimating the morphing power donut.

It's fine you guys, if you don't like the mission then refuse! It doesn't matter to me, I'll just go in a different direction with the yeerks and Kildor. It's all good. you CAN say no.

This is all just cover for the fact that I called a meeting with the morphers for no logical reason anyway.
Meh.

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #1211 on: April 03, 2011, 10:48:19 AM »
No, like, really. We cannot kill Visser Three. Our RP has to leave the series timeline/canon intact.

Yeah, but that's not a reason that they can't TRY.  They don't know they aren't allowed to kill Visser 3.   ::)  It's the same reason that I can't say we shouldn't go because Visser 3 still won't think the animorphs are human.

Dracon beams don't bounce off their skin, Tony.  They're still screwed if they take a straight fight with an armed group of controllers.  The advantage of morphing is their ability to infiltrate, not fight.  They can gather intel, sabotage, and yes, assasinate.  But they can't do that to a well guarded target in the middle of a couple battalions' worth of the enemy.  They also have to consider risk vs. reward.  They risk getting everyone killed, which means the yeerks win, they only gain Visser 3's death. That's not a small thing, but he is replacable, and then the yeerks don't have anyone resisting them.

As far as what we should do next in the RP, I think we've reached the limits of what can logical come of this.  So, it's more or less about what is the least illogical.  It's a group decision since we've kinda set up a plot hole in the RP, but I think they shouldn't go.  Tarry doesn't want to send them on a suicide mission, and Kildor will kill all of the yeerks and hosts that know the morphers are human, which Jo doesn't want since that includes her family.

Offline Unknown User

• Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #1212 on: April 03, 2011, 10:51:07 AM »
Then it is a decision for our glorious game master... I leave it to you bear.

Post Merged: April 04, 2011, 02:10:23 PM
SOMEONE UPDATE OSV?!?!?!?!

seriously, I want to know what happens to Lisa.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:10:23 PM by Unknown User »
Meh.

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #1213 on: April 04, 2011, 02:14:24 PM »
*looks at Donut/Tarry*

Offline Unknown User

• Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #1214 on: April 08, 2011, 11:44:27 AM »