Author Topic: Donator satus changes  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Gold Donor
  • Cloud Surfer
Donator satus changes
« on: August 24, 2010, 01:34:36 PM »
It's great that people donate to RAF. We're a highly specialized forum, with many dedicated members. You can tell this, as the majority of frequent posters donated to the forum. Some donate large amounts, some donate smaller amounts frequently. This is wonderful. This place has become so much more than just a forum to many of our members, and it's important that we continue to get donations so the site continues to thrive.

Many of the people who donate smaller amounts, are working their way up to becoming a gold member (or should I say gold donor), as they are not able to make large contributions at one time. This is VERY obvious to those with access to the D-Lounge, as several people have flat-out stated this. However, with the changes made as of today, I fear that the donations that these members have intended to keep making will no longer be coming through, as they will no longer accumulate to help them achieve gold donor status.

Let's face it, with the changes made to donor statuses over the past year, much of the incentive people have to donate, particularly if it's under fifty dollars, have been taken away (in particular, they're now subjected to ads on the forum, and their status will no longer last a year.) Another deterrent to donating that I've noticed lately, is the fact that we're being inundated on the blog, as well as on twitter with posts requesting donations. I realize that in order for RAF to survive, donations are necessary, but when the requests are constant, and come off as begging, the site begins to lose appeal, and in turn, donations.

In the end, this site belongs to Richard. It's his choice on how the member groups are created, and what privileges they include, but I think it's very important that we as members voice our opinions on this matter. Let's face it, RAF wouldn't exist without it's dedicated members.

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• The anarchist formerly known as Prince
  • Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
Re: Donator satus changes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 01:49:12 PM »
Excellent post, Jess. +1.

I'm one of the members that donate little by little, and to be honest, I will never be able to afford to donate 50+ at one time. So this change really sucks eggs for me.
The thing that bothers me most is that this seems not to screw over just the members of the forum, but the most dedicated of the members. The people willing to help support the site monetarily. And believe you me, not all of the donors can afford  to donate.
But, the site is getting donations not just from the most active of members, but I've noticed an increase in people who don't even post having donated. And first-time members donating.

It seems to me that as it stands, the donations RAF is getting are exceeding, or at the VERY least meeting, the costs of the forum. And don't get me wrong, I'm sure no one here has a problem with RAF having a surplus at the end of the month, it helps with next months bills, but the fact of the matter is, we donated to help this site, and now it feels very much like you gave  good ol' New York wave to use donors that can't afford anything else.

I was planning on donating again at the end of this month, provided finances go my way, but until this is fixed, RAF won't ever see another donation out of me.

Also, it was posted one time to see where the donations go, maybe it's time for another quick peak at the books to see what brought on this drastic, and as of yet seemingly unfair change.

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

Updated phone: 423 401 8527

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline Horsefan1023 (Seal)

• RAF's Resident Tumbleweed Hater
  • God
  • TO THE BATMOBILE!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 02:19:08 PM »
Well, being 13, rounding up, I can't donate.  I don't think my mom would like it if I used whatever to donate to an online forum.  But I want to!  But, again, being 13, it probably wouldn't be large quantities at a time.  And there are other things I want to save for too.  The change that I wouldn't be able to accumulate money to get to gold status should I donate...well, sucks.

I plan on being on this site for a long while, so, who knows?  Maybe someday I'll be able to donate myself.  But those who are unable to donate 50 bucks at a time, but are able to donate little by little...the appeal of donating will go away.  I have always wanted that gold status.   :)

The constant requests to donate haven't bothered me that much.  Just gets a little annoying.  *shrugs* I'd be fine if you didn't take away constant requests.  I would donate...but I can't.
Most Insane Member/RAFian Writer 2010!

Thanks to Bear!
Blue is my WonderTwin, Myth, Blocky, Jess, Kayla, Demos, Tony are my siblings, Shorty is my cousin, Bear is my RAFsupercodetective! (Yeah awesome!)
RAFdating Ghostie! :D
:raftrophy: RAFian Writer and Most Insane Member 2011!

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 02:49:58 PM »
Just to clarify Horsie's statement about donating "50 bucks at a time", You obtain stauts changes with accrued donations. So if you donate 5 dollar a month, in two months, you'd attain Silver Donor status; and in ten months, you'd become a Gold Donor. You don't have to fork over $50 at once to obtain Gold, regardless of your previous donations.

Also, regarding the Donation requests, if you look through the RAFblog entries and Twitter tweets, the only time he blatantly asks for donations was on June 5th. The only mentions of donating after were to give recognition to other donators, the account statement, and the donor changes. So "inundated" may be a bit of an exaggeration.

That said, I do agree with the advertisement change being unfair. Getting rid of advertisements was the original reason I ever thought of donating any money at all. The reason I became a Gold donor is because I came to truly love this site and wanted it to thrive.

Now it seems as though the only real incentive to donate is so you can have more room in your PM inbox for an amount of time. It seems to me that expanding new incentives, rather than limiting old ones would be more effective. Instead of demoting the original "Donor" rank to less time, why not promote the Silver to more time. Have the “Donor” keep its status for a year, and give “Silver Donors” two years.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • Richard's Animorphs Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 02:56:32 PM »
A couple things:

1. Requests for donations blog posts are in no way frequent. The last one was in June, the one before that; January.
1b. The last twitter post was April, and I couldn't quickly find any before that.

2. From what I gather the main problem you guys are having with the changes stem from donations will not add up; allowing you to jump from rank to rank with small donations. Oddly, this was not prompted by the need for more money, or to even force members to donate in larger amounts. It was prompted by the fact that I am no longer wholly responsible for doing the member upgrade / blog posts when each person donates. The other staff members now will now announce and upgrade members when someone donates. This presents a challenge when one member donates more than once.

But I hear you guys; I will just have to come up with a better way of tracking member donations so that all our staff have full access to the donor list, so one can be bumped up the donor ranks when a threshold is passed.

Effective today your donations will add up.

3. Lowering the life of statuses of donations below $50 is a necessary evil. This is also tied in with advertisements.
We are a small community with only 12% of our member base can be considered active. If all 12% donated $5 and their rank along with their perks lasted forever they will not be motivated to donate further; stifling our main source of income.

The same for advertisements; if half of our active members (approximately 150) only donated the minimum $5 that only nets RAF $750 in the user's lifetime on RAF (which by the way, cannot sustain us for two years) and cuts off 40% of our income: advertisements. So that means in two years RAF will be out of money.

So that's why I have to try to strike that balance between donating small amounts and the lifetime of the perk of not seeing advertisements. Though donations are grateful, donating $5 and not seeing an advertisement on our forum for a year on RAF results in a loss. In other words, better for RAF if you never donated.

4. The changes made yesterday are in no way gospel. I review all the time when I get input like these.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:59:57 PM by Richard »

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 04:57:04 PM »
Personally, I've got no problems with the adverts, it did bug me a little when they were added back to us "silver donors", but, even when I first donated and didn't have the adverts, I posted that I had no problem getting them back if they got you money. Lol. I want to help the forum out in any way I can, I was just a little... Well, more than a little, peeved about the donations not adding up. I felt jipped, y'know? If there's anything I can do to help the forum gain money without actually coming outta my checking account, I'm all for it.  Unfortunatly, I can't afford to donate cash all the time, thus my... *ahem* displeasure at the new rule. Thanks for axing it, dude.

I understand that the forum has to have money to run, and it relies not only on donations but also adverts, so maybe I'll click some ads for you. :P

There's a school that posted a youtube video, and got a sponsor to give them like a nickel everytime the video was clicked, maybe RAF could get a  schweet deal like that? :P

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 06:18:47 PM »
does RAF get any additional money from ad-clicks or just views?
wasn't sure.

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 06:50:38 PM »
I believe it's clicks, unless something changed since the creation of the D-Lounge.

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 06:18:55 AM »
Both views and clicks. Mostly clicks.

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 09:39:10 PM »
is this change being made retroactively or will I have my donor status until my year is up

if not then i should probably lose my status now (i donated in december)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:41:11 PM by Shanker »
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 12:30:05 AM »
not meaning to speak for richard, but i think those that donated (previously) under the knowledge that they'd get 1 year should still get their money's worth.
up to him though.

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 08:25:20 AM »
those that donated (previously) under the knowledge that they'd get 1 year should still get their money's worth.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 01:38:12 AM »
I had a dream that Richard 'yelled' at everyone here for answering back to him..I had to double check now just to make sure he didn't. haha!

I don't think there's really been many donation campaigns..more members have been donating lately and that's why we've been seeing it mentioned on the blog. Anyway, I hope I can keep donating to raf for as long as it lives!
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 12:20:11 AM »
True that! I'd love to contribute more, I just need to eat and be sheltered first. ;D
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Touquie

• ShamWOW!
  • God
  • Just Dancing in the Dark
    • Touquie's YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 08:48:07 PM »
I noticed that since I donated my name is now blue.  Is it possible to go back to black?  How it was as God status?

Thank-you :D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:35:15 AM by Touquie »
I'm RAFmarried to my Pookie, Charlie ;D