Author Topic: How did you get hooked on Animorphs?  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
Re: How did you get hooked on Animorphs?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 06:59:54 PM »
First saw them in those Scholastic Book Fair things things they sent out every month. XD Didn't read the books till after I watched the TV show. I liked it, till I'd read the books. :P It's most endearing quality was that it came on once a week, and I was suffering under the month-long waits.

::) I was so spoiled. Now a year wait seems like nothing. :P

Offline Bito

• My DeviantART
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 02:31:26 PM »
My mom bought #3 for a christmas game, where the players win the presents that are brought.
I can't remember who actually won the book (it wasn't me), but somehow I ended up trading the present I won to get the book instead. I guess I fell in love with the cover at first sight, because I've always loved birds of prey, and what's more cool than a boy who turns into such an awesome animal? :D
I was hooked right away!

Offline Alex Oiknine

• Gold Donor
  • I'm moving on, I'm moving on...
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~alexoiknine
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 03:04:59 AM »
I was in a bookstore with my grandma, able to get any book I wanted. The book I choose was The Message and after that I went with my mom, caught up on the books, and then stayed with them every month.

I loved them in elementary school and they got me through middle school, too.
http://www.fanfiction.net/~alexoiknine
http://alexoiknine.com
http://aximili.dreamwidth.org

The One (Completed)
The Rescue (Completed)
The Rendezvous (In Progress)

Offline Gyt Kaliba

• I"s - Reaching for a Dream
    • I"s - Reaching for a Dream
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 03:18:30 PM »
Back when I was in elementary school, the bus I rode had assigned seats, and my assigned seat was with a guy who was in like middle school. I was a hyper little kid, but I loved to read, so he chucked some Animorphs books at me to keep me quiet. ;D

From there though, I got into it enough to follow them at the library, and to read the ones that my teacher had in the classroom (I specifically recall the Andalite Chronicles in three books), and then when I was in middle school the series was working it's way to it's end, and I ordered the latest volumes as they came out through the book order forms.
What is I"s? (click below)

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 03:34:06 PM »
I watced the show when I was in Kindergarten and my next door neighbor had like 3 books. Once I was old enough to read the books, she gave hers to me and the rest was history
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Aldrea Hammee

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 08:47:56 PM »
I got the Scholastic catalogs, so when the series began in '96 I got in on it from the start. I was 10, and kept with the series month by month until sometime in the summer of 2000. I remember the last book I read was #38. I went ten years without reading the rest of the series, then caught up with it this summer. I've actually still got #53 and #54 to go!
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Offline AnyaSciarra

• "Computers don't care if they're yelled at."
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 10:58:18 AM »
It's funny, really. When I was younger, I was obsessed with dinosaurs. The library I went to had a bunch of Animorph books (Which were above my reading level at the time) and I think that I may have seen MM2. I didn't really think about Animorphs for quite a while (I was too obsessed with Kung Fu, Sherlock Holmes and Russian Lit). Later I decided to read some of the Animorphs from our library. My mom can be quite picky about stuff, so often when I start a new series I'm kind of secretive about it. i read about half of the first book at the library. From the moment I read "My name is Jake." I was HOOKED. That was about three years ago.
"The saddest day of my life was that day when I learned that Sherlock Holmes was not real. Boy was I wrong."--- Norah Yasgur

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Dreaming on :P
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 01:53:18 PM »
I got hooked in grade three,my teacher kept  bin for the animorphs books and one day i saw book 19 and i liked the cover since it looked so cool and  pretty and not freaky like some do so i read it(i LOVE to read)and i liked the book. i also read the 2nd book.I didn't see the books again till grade 5.I aw the books and wanted to read it but i like to fit in with other people so i didn't until i saw my friend read it and i was so hooked i read a book a day and read all in my class and in the school library
Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^

Offline patric

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 11:16:07 AM »
Ok, so this story is (and statement) is probably a bit over dramatic, but it really feels like the Animorphs got me started on who i am.

i got into it around second grade. my friend wanted me to start reading the series and i was adamantly against it. I hated reading and figured i would be bored to tears. He lent me The Andalite Chronicles and it just sort of laid on my floor for a few months. After my grandfather died i picked it up, the whole escapist thing, and was hooked. I helplessly devoured every book i could get a hold of and waited impatiently for the next.

a few years later i was reading Tolkien and T. H. White and a little later i started writing sci-fi.

after i moved and a number of setbacks occurred, i stopped reading them. I picked them up again last Christmas and just finished the last one last night. Epic.

"And for years I believed
That what went unsaid between us became empty,
And pure, like starlight, & that it persisted.

I got it all wrong.
I wound up believing in words the way a scientist
Believes in carbon, after death. " --Excerpt from Winter Stars by Larry Levis

Offline NorwegianMorpher

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2010, 11:25:27 AM »
A friend showed it to me some years ago

I read the first two books and thought they were pretty awesome, even though the Norwegian version of the books kinda sucks. I was only eight at the time. They only had book #1-16 at the library, so after book 16, I just forgot about the them.

One year later, I saw some of the books in a bookstore, and bought two of them (#15 and #32)
That's when I got hooked. I found out that they had gotten almost every book at the library, so off course, I read them.

Now, at age twelve (very soon thirteen), I'm reading them in Norwegian again, and after I have finished all of them, I'm planning on reading them in English :P

Offline Galladerotom

• Analysist, Paranoid, Trekie, and Psychic
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 10:39:21 AM »
It all started with my oldr sister. The few that she did manage to buy were on a shelf, I used to  read the summary and get the jitters from the whole Yeerks thing. Anyways one night when I was in high school and I had read every other book in the house I finally decided to read the first book, after that I was hooked. I managed to get several from a used book store, my sister hadn't bought them all. Finally I heard about this site and began reading the ebooks.
We must extract the truth from this unbeliever on pain of torture! Get...THE COMFY CHAIR!

Offline Red

• raptor girl
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 07:39:28 AM »
I got Book #1 from the library when I was eight or nine and went from there, getting them from the library,  bookshops and even the American-cover imports from Borders when I was super desperate. Growing up on Goosebumps I always wanted something exciting to happen to me and at nine, I used to pretend the Yeerk Invasion was real. I didn't trust any of my teachers.

Embarrassingly true; I'm twenty-two now and just re-read the series. I was at a restaurant last Sunday; I looked at my watch and absent-mindedly thought; 'I should demorph soon'. Clearly Animorphs has affected me profoundly..

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 08:01:32 AM »
^I'm twenty and when I cut myself in the shower recently, my first thought was "demorph!".