Author Topic: Animorphs:The Graphic Novel  (Read 34710 times)

Offline Gafrash

Re: Animorphs:The Graphic Novel
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2008, 08:00:47 PM »
I checked out all your drawings on photobucket, they were amazing.

Love the freaky half morphed Tobias, lol.

My only nitpick, sorry, is that, don't Andalites have 7 fingers? not 6?

Thanks, Goobly Idiot, lady.
I have been told this by others on the forum here before. WHY do I have it in my head that they have 6 fingers in total??!! WHERE IS IT SAID THEY HAVE 7?? Somebody please point it out to me. Heheheh.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2008, 04:55:40 PM »
i don't exactly remember, but i'm sure it wasn't six.
they always said they had 'a few too many fingers', i think it might have been mentioned somewhere.
seven sounds about right, but your image looked fine with six.

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2008, 10:20:21 PM »
Ok, apparently nobody's read this on the cast topic, but I'm putting Gafrash in charge of the effort. He's earned it, and he knows what needs to be done.
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline Nateosaurus

• Superhero
  • God
  • Now madness takes you, forever
    • My youtube :)
« Reply #183 on: November 24, 2008, 06:14:47 AM »
I checked out all your drawings on photobucket, they were amazing.

Love the freaky half morphed Tobias, lol.

My only nitpick, sorry, is that, don't Andalites have 7 fingers? not 6?

Thanks, Goobly Idiot, lady.
I have been told this by others on the forum here before. WHY do I have it in my head that they have 6 fingers in total??!! WHERE IS IT SAID THEY HAVE 7?? Somebody please point it out to me. Heheheh.

Call me Claire.

Now, I just looked at the cover art for book 8. Ax definately has 7 fingers. :)
Most likely to have a superhero identity 2012
Best superhero duo 2012 (Team Phate)
Most likely to survive the zombie apocalypse 2013

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #184 on: November 24, 2008, 11:27:44 AM »
I stand corrected! It looks like 7 fingers from this end, too.
Thank you, Claire!  ;D

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #185 on: November 24, 2008, 11:49:31 PM »
I'm not sure but I think there is somewhere in the last books a little sentence who suppose/say that Andalites have 7 fingers...
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2008, 12:19:00 AM »

Hey guys, here's the latest in my deviations. An attempt at rendering the skin on the Animorphs.
There's quite a bit for me to learn about colouring. REALLY need some colourist aid.

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2008, 02:22:05 AM »
Very nice job!  The coloring looks good to me, though I'm no expert.  I think Cassie came out really nicely.

Rachel looks a bit too old, maybe...I like how Marco looks kind of Beavis-and-Butthead-ish though. x3

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2008, 03:26:29 AM »
I agree. Cassie looks very good! Marco is cool too.
About Tobias, his nose is a little too pointed... and Rachel seems a little too old.
And coloring is quite good, but if you feel you need some help... Who said "I can do coloring"??
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2008, 07:53:41 AM »
Thanks for the comps, gals. Now that you’ve mentioned it, Rachel doesn’t really look finished does she?! Nor do Marco's Jeans. I did base Rachel on a model, but the face should still be my version of her (I try to include a bit of ‘fierceness’ by making her eyes narrower than the others'. This may be the reason why I think she looks more ‘serious’ and, thus, ‘old’.
I have a MAJOR problem making them ‘look’ young and average!!! Nghaaaarrrrgh!

Yeah, Dameg, I think ALL their noses look pointy to me, hehehe!
And all the lines from my drawing were darkened, and look really bold. I set out to exercise my colouring in this pic. This is the first drawing I have coloured the Animorphs themselves in!
PS: By the way, did ya get my e-mail?! Hope it was helpful!

...I like how Marco looks kind of Beavis-and-Butthead-ish though. x3
Hehehehe! That’s so kewl how you see that!
If I can do that kind of depiction on every Marco-drawing, it would be an achievement!!!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 09:17:17 AM by Gafrash »

Offline wolfev

« Reply #190 on: December 02, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
That is awesome!!!!!!
And a while back I did a kinda rough draft script. If you want to dry to do a test chapter, try that, a lot of people seemed to like it.

I did chapter 1 of the encounter.

The Encounter
Overall Notes: Rachel should be depicted as better looking than any of the other Animorphs since Tobias has a crush on her.
Chapter 1
Chapter Notes
 Artist Instructions: This only requires shots of Tobias flying and images of his past. As a coloring note past images should be framed darker and colored using a darker palette. Do not show Tobias’ face clearly since The Encounter is seen through Tobias’ eyes this is to show that Tobias can not remember what he looked like.

My Name is Tobias…
… A Freak of Nature

I once was a human boy, but that’s over now
I’ll never be human again, not that it was any better than my life now.
As a boy I used to get picked on, thrown into lockers, head shoved into toilets on a regular basis.
Now I can’t even remember exactly what I looked like back then. It’s amazing how much you can forget in a few weeks. Ever since I got my permanent pilots license my old life, what little of it there was worth remembering, has been slipping away.

I doubt I’ll be missed. I used to live with my drunk of an uncle who will probably take his
sweet time reporting that he is receiving welfare checks for someone who is long gone.
Still I had Jake send him a note saying I was living with my Aunt on the other side of the Country.

Thinks to Himself “<Like that’ll work>” (try to give bird eye roll)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 10:06:32 AM by wolfev »
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2008, 08:33:03 PM »
Yeah, they're all pointed lol but Tobias's is particularly pointed ^^' It's strange...
And if you wanna make them less old... maybe try to draw their head softer, rounder. The square chin made them older... If you look at your Marco and Cassie, they seem younger... and they have rounder face! ^^ try that...
If you wanna keep Jake looking serious, make his eyes a little smaller than usually (or more closed if you prefer). I think it must work.
Except that, bodies are perfect. Only their face make them too old

PS: Sorry, I wanted to answer about your email, but I had no time to try ^^ Thank you anyway. I'll read and try soon! ^^
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline rossabo

• For great justice!
« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2008, 12:43:53 AM »

Hey guys, here's the latest in my deviations. An attempt at rendering the skin on the Animorphs.
There's quite a bit for me to learn about colouring. REALLY need some colourist aid.
That sketch is really, really good!

Regarding coloring, I would not do it at all. It looks good, but the series is too long to be worrying about coloring. Ideally, to keep readers' attentions (if this is a webcomic), at least a page or two would be necessary per week. I would imagine that coloring would take a lot of time to do, and would burn you out very quickly. Come to think of it, I haven't really seen any long-lasting webcomic use coloring. To be honest, it's not really necessary, although it would be nice to color a few things like a single-panel page occasionally to keep reference of the colors.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:46:24 AM by rossabo »

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2008, 01:20:03 AM »
That sketch is really, really good!

Regarding coloring, I would not do it at all. It looks good, but the series is too long to be worrying about coloring. Ideally, to keep readers' attentions (if this is a webcomic), at least a page or two would be necessary per week. I would imagine that coloring would take a lot of time to do, and would burn you out very quickly. Come to think of it, I haven't really seen any long-lasting webcomic use coloring. To be honest, it's not really necessary, although it would be nice to color a few things like a single-panel page occasionally to keep reference of the colors.

Thanks rossabo.
PS: If you're new, WELCOME aboard and thank you for your compliment.
Your comments are valid! A webcomic would be what this Project would be aimed at, though I didn't actually think about that. I was thinking more like, you know, pages on links that we could set up.
Anyone have any links where I could check out some actual webcomics?!

The idea that an Animorphs comic doesn't need to be in colour has been brought up in this thread before. I've been arguing that it does need, for when panels that won't be done in colour can also have some sort of a meaning. HOWEVER, having done these few colour renders, I can tell I would grow bold before a single comic gets complete. Hehehehe!
So you may well be right.

On that note, below, I am posting a pic of a b/w render I did for one of the layouts I previously sketched.

I had this dialogue scene between Rachel and Cassie in mind for an intro to the characters.
I welcome anyone who can give us a hand with some sort of a dialogue. Whatever you guys make out of the storytelling there, it goes!
Then we'll pick what speech-balloons I can put on top.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 01:49:02 AM by Gafrash »

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #194 on: December 03, 2008, 01:39:17 AM »
wolfev, it would be kewl to create that scene.
A few things need to be established when writing a comic script. Like what type of shot will be shown in the panel, who and what goes in the panel and what are they doing... The type you've included there should be divided into panels for ease on the artist.
Should the panel be filled with too much type (even if the panel is the whole page) it could hinder the story-telling.

... Artist Instructions: This only requires shots of Tobias flying and images of his past. As a coloring note past images should be framed darker and colored using a darker palette. Do not show Tobias’ face clearly since The Encounter is seen through Tobias’ eyes this is to show that Tobias can not remember what he looked like.
I liked this idea for Tobias' 'memory recall' scene. His head without a face would be quite striking to visually give the message.
It's interesting the way you put it, because for such 'memory' scenes, I was actually thinking they would need to be done in pale soft mono-colours to give that impression of past, you know. In it, a tone of red to the black and white inks would add a 'bad' feeling. A 'blue' = a good happy one and so on...

...PS: Sorry, I wanted to answer about your email, but I had no time to try ^^ Thank you anyway. I'll read and try soon! ^^

Dameg, no butter about the reply, my friend. I just didn't know if I sent it to you correctly and if it wasn't too complicated.  ;D

Yeah, they're all pointed lol but Tobias's is particularly pointed ^^' It's strange...
And if you wanna make them less old... maybe try to draw their head softer, rounder. The square chin made them older... If you look at your Marco and Cassie, they seem younger... and they have rounder face!...

Thank you for your advice above, and I will try doing that from now on. Though I should really be getting on to drawing more animals.  ::)