Author Topic: Animorphs:The Graphic Novel  (Read 34707 times)

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
Re: Amimorphs:The Graphic Novel
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2008, 08:25:55 PM »
Don't do Tobias as straight blond; what with the covers and the actor it just wouldn't fit :(
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline Gumby

• Reginald, Lord of The Abyss.
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to where it all began
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2008, 08:27:46 PM »
I agree. Tobias was dirty-blond. not straight blond.
"Now I can't speak for everyone; at least not until 'The Device' is completed."

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2008, 08:41:40 PM »
wolfev As soon as I can, I will post what I've done up to date.
My issue is that drawing the 'early-Tobias' resembles Jake too much. Their haircuts are too equal. However, the 'latter-Tobias' actually looks unrelated and the 5 kids look like they are 'visually' ID. Have to show you guys what I mean.
Though, I was just thinking, a cynical take on the big visual change of the cover models would be splendid touch for us Animorphs fans, don't you think?! Heheheh!
Rachel gave Marco a comment about him having his haircut. Why was there no comments for Tobias??!!

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2008, 01:13:25 AM »
I guess Tobias didn't look like he had a small monkey living on top of his head. xD

The clothing they were wearing in the cover could be helpful. But I always found them a bit plain and some even a bit dorky, to be honest. Also with some of them it's obvious they were chosen because of the animal they were morphing into.
I mean, would Rachel really wear something that the model wears here?

OH GOD THAT DRESS.  I literally cringe in horror every time I see that thing, I am not kidding.

Maybe to help with the fashion, get some old 90s teen magazines from the library?

Offline Gumby

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2008, 12:35:15 PM »
*Looks at dress, starts writhing on the floor in agony* Oh GOSH! That is an ugly dress. Draw rachel in something that makes her look good. Like everyone else agrees, Rachel always looks good

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2008, 01:05:42 PM »
That dress honestly reminds me of something my mother forced on me when I was like...ten...

Yeah...not attractive, lol. Actually, none of Rachels covers are all that great. The only time she looks remotely 'pretty' I think is in the inside of #54.

I think most of their clothing style should be pretty mid-90's casual. Jeans and a t-shirt for the boys. Probably lighter blue jeans. Darker washes didn't become stylish until the late 90's early 2000's.

The girls are a bit trickier. The mid-90's had all sorts of horrible fads. The most traumatizing of which I remember being vests. ::shudder::
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:07:26 PM by Terenia »

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2008, 03:15:26 PM »
Well, I always thought that what Cassie was wearing on the cover of #19 was her morphing outfit.
The other ones you posted are probably all appropriate for the time, even if it seems dorky now (yes, even that dress of Rachel's) But you don't have to go with those clothes exactly, it's just having a starting point to go from.
Ya think Tobias's Uncle(or aunt) would buy him a hoodie? Those can be expensive
Yes, they can. If you buy brand name ones. I'm wearing one right now that I got for like $12, and it's really good quality.

On cover of #19, Cassie wear what Rachel wear usually in the books. Rachel wear black outfits, but Cassie wear colored (and not very beautiful) morphing outfits... Re-read Animorphs if you wanna be sure ^_^

Gafrash, even if the hair cut are a little the same, if we put colors, it's ok (we don't see Tobias as human very often...). But the eyes of Tobias should be softer...
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Gumby

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2008, 09:54:38 AM »
I agree, when you make Tobias for the first book, he must have the eyes of someone who has been mistreated and bullied all the time.

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2008, 02:57:34 AM »
Hey crew,
Check out some new scans I've loaded up... http://s349.photobucket.com/albums/q369/Gafrash/
Look for the Album: Concepts for AniGraphicNovel
EVERYONE from here will be able to view them by entering the Hork-Bajir word for 'Andalite'!

ANYONE who is willing is welcome to grab any image and colour them on in. Would be cool to see how my drawings could look!

Cheers!

wolfev, check out the Tobias' pics and tell us what you think!

On cover of #19, Cassie wear what Rachel wear usually in the books. Rachel wear black outfits, but Cassie wear colored (and not very beautiful) morphing outfits... Re-read Animorphs if you wanna be sure ^_^
Gafrash, even if the hair cut are a little the same, if we put colors, it's ok (we don't see Tobias as human very often...). But the eyes of Tobias should be softer...

Hey, didn't think of that, you're right Dameg, we really don't see the human Tobias that often. It would be cool to see how my 'long-haired' version of Tobias would look like in dirty-blond colour. Depending on the final result, we should pick him.
I totally agree, Tobias needs to have that sort of mistreated but tender appearance. I am trying to do that with him in my sketches. But don't you agree my drawings of him as such are leaning towards manga?

If that's true, then here is a site with some pictures of the largest mall in Santa Barbara.
http://www.weddingmapper.com/g/ca/goleta/photos/wedding_vendor/44351

Really wish there were some bigger pictures for that mall.
But why did I always think that The Mall was a more enclosed area... what, with it meant to have an Abandoned Construction site right across the highway...

Terenia... I can only feel for you. hehehe. But I don't think you have anything to be ashamed of in that photo!
Vests???!!! I know! I, too, agree that none of the Rachel covers look that faithful to the description of the character in terms of her fashion taste. Or maybe it's just me, with my 21st C mind and what I think her taste should be like, dunno.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2008, 05:32:19 AM »
Hey, didn't think of that, you're right Dameg, we really don't see the human Tobias that often. It would be cool to see how my 'long-haired' version of Tobias would look like in dirty-blond colour. Depending on the final result, we should pick him.
I totally agree, Tobias needs to have that sort of mistreated but tender appearance. I am trying to do that with him in my sketches. But don't you agree my drawings of him as such are leaning towards manga?

Of course I'm right ;) I imagined Cassie with orange and green outfit... :droolfactor10:
About Tobias, I can't see your drawings anymore... I don't wanna register on this website >_< But I found a good example for Tobias. When I see this guy, I immediatly thought "wow! Tobias would be exactly like that if he lived longer as Human!". In Six Feet Under, season 2, episodes 7~8, a young guy, blond hair and soft face, cute and gentle... and, it's quite strange but... he's name in the TV show is... Toby!! lol I think Tobias would be like this guy, this Toby, but a little younger of course.

PS: If you wanna put your drawings on a webpage where only the people from RAF could go, I know how to do... Look: http://damegdl.free.fr/Bidule/eng/index.htm It's a part of my website, but you can't go without the password... ;)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 05:36:21 AM by Dameg »
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Gumby

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2008, 10:18:43 AM »
Gafrash, I love it. However, the picture of Visser three when he is ordering his minions to pursue the 'andalite bandits', he looks a bit to young, more like Aximili. Try making him look a bit older. but other then that, it looks great, especially the weapon design.

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2008, 10:49:42 AM »
This idea for a fan-made graphic novel sounds awesome! I can't write for comics (but I do like to write) and I certainly can't draw well enough for comics (I should make some Animorph fan art). But I would be happy to offer services for a beta reader or something.

With such dedicated fans I know the results will be awesome. I glanced at the graphic novel version of Artemis Fowl not long ago. My sister and me found it to be an abomination. Yes, from what I could tell, it stuck to the story. However the characters....for one thing Butler is supposed to be bald and he had hair. Yes, a small thing to nitpick, but the guy being bald is part of what MAKES that character. And his neck looked like he had a...tumor or something.

Anyway, back on topic of Animorphs. My point is, even the smallest details being off can ruin it for someone. Such as people like me who nitpick things to death.  :P
 EX: the earlier points of "Rachel would never wear that and Tobias wouldn't have that hair."  

I keep bringing this up, but as long as the Andalites don't look like their wearing blue angora sweaters, I'm good.

Offline wolfev

« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2008, 10:51:59 AM »
I can't get in.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2008, 12:58:36 PM »
I can't get into it either.

I can see guys that we all got lots of talent and potential here, and can make something big. But to this make work we all got to get organized. Now, I PMed Richard and he was intrigued, but he also wanted to know if and when we had a time plan for it-when we were starting, when we planned to finish, etc. Now to do that, we gotta get organized. Wolfev, I appreciate you trying to take charge and get some order earlier, but I did start this so I should probably be in charge. Gafrash, thanks and I admire your efforts. So we need to start getting organized- wolfev and Estelore can be the head writers and Dameg and Gafrash can be head artists.

Now, when should we start and when should our deadline be? :)
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2008, 05:56:28 PM »
About Visser 3, I can't see your drawing, but remember that his host is a strong Andalite, like 40 years old for a Human, not very tall, but strong. And even his host wasn't a "good and soft" guy ^_^'

[...]So we need to start getting organized- wolfev and Estelore can be the head writers and Dameg and Gafrash can be head artists.

I agree. Except for that ^
Didn't you read what I wrote? ^_^' I don't know how we can mix Gafrash's drawings and mine... it's too different... and I draw like in manga, but it's an American story that shouldn't be drawed like manga... ^_^'
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum