Author Topic: The Knight  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
The Knight
« on: November 17, 2011, 10:04:46 AM »
My names is Jake. But I guess you already know that. I'm famous everywhere. I saved the world, probably more than a dozen times over. And I'm going insane. After the war I got a house. All I could do was sit inside with the lights off and the blinds drawn, thinking. What could I have done to let my cousin and brother live? I guess I had a crazy hope that if I could find the perfect plan the Ellimist would give me a second chance.

I started to play chess. It got to the point where their were a dozen boards all over the house. Their were two strategies. The white was solely dedicated to defeating the enemy without losing a single man. The black was willing to lose any piece to win. The black always won. No matter what the white couldn't go without sacrifice. I played by myself for the most part, but sometimes I would make a call to a plumber or pizza hut just to have someone to play with. At one point I realized that my team was nothing like the organized army represented on the board. We were knights.

The knight is an useful piece. It can move in a way to dodge an attack from nearly any direction. It can jump over obstacles. I set up boards with six white knights and a traditional black army. After a few games I was able to win. Every pool boy, maid, and delivery boy I called fell to the knights. And I didn't lose any. The feeling of triumph didn't last very long. If I could win on the boad why not in reality.

*to be continued*
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline The Spectre

• I am vengeance, I am god´s wrath, I am The Spectre
Re: The Knight
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »
Awesome man! Cant wait for update! Do you think you could return the favor and give a read to my fanfic "Project Tailblade"?

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:27:52 PM »
Ill try it a little later. Glad you like it
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 07:05:10 PM »
Thank you.

NateSean

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 11:54:24 AM »
I do have to wonder who these people he called were that they didn't mind taking time out of their schedule to play chess with a lunatic. Even if he was famous, I'd be a little worried.

Still, great opening bit though. As a chess player, however, I really need to see proof that you can win with the knights. Sorry, purist for the game.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 01:30:27 PM »
Good point. Have to incorporate that in.

I think it would be possible to win if you simply had a bunch of mnights, they can dodge nearly any attack and caqn be used to corner lots of other pieces

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »
This is really interesting, I really like the symbolism and look into his mind.  :)

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 05:13:27 PM »
Yeah I can't really see this continuing for too long though.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 11:34:15 PM »
If anything, it was getting worse. Every night I would have a horrible nightmare. The most common theme was a chessboard. A massive expanse of black and white covering two city blocks. Most of the time I could see the two master, controlling the army. An ancient man guided the knights flawlessly across the board, slowly chipping away at the black army. His opponent was a twenty something guy wearing a sharp black suit. Nothing about the black master seemed particularly bad until you saw his eye.

He was a cyclops. An absolutely massive eye dominated his forward bloodshot and cold with a pure black pupil, always studying but never anticipating. After a little bit, an illegal piece would appear. He was half black and half white. A simple bystander that stood right behind enemy lines. To the black he was a pawn. A simple piece that could easilly be sacrificed if it came to it. But he was more than that to the knights.

His white half was a king. If we lost him it would be all over. The game would end with our troops in confusion. Every night I jumped across that board at the whim of the old man. Never losing, never winning. Every piece that I took was replaced by another, the enemy could replace lost men. I couldn't we dodged and attacked, never losing anyone, but never winning anything. The game never ended.

The cops came a couple times. The people I made play were worried about my mental health. Every time they showed up I acted as sane as possible and they let it slide, The one tiem they were actually going to arrest me I handed them the bail right there. I didn't have time to go to the slammer. The mail man had put me in a tight corner and I was working out a strategy to get out.

NateSean

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 11:34:47 AM »
Good follow up. I agree that this wouldn't make much of a story, unless Jake really had been taken to a hospital for an evaluation. However, depending on the laws of California, (and they wouldn't change much Yeerks or likewise) the hospital stay would be for 72 hours max, unless Jake proved to be a danger to himself.

Even if the hospital had conclusive proof of his mental instability, they wouldn't forcibly commit him unless they were legally obligated to keep him from self harm.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »
At some point I realized that I really did have a problem. I think it happened when I woke up a headache and a rook stuck to my cheek. I checked myself into a private mental institution. The gave me room, some cheap food, and a flatscreen. In  the morning I would have my first session with Dr. Bixpy.

NateSean

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 10:17:24 AM »
I actually had to read that twice before I realized this was part of your story and not you updating the rest of us on your mental status.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »
-_-

Offline XtheoniongirlX

• Queen of Smut
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »
I actually had to read that twice before I realized this was part of your story and not you updating the rest of us on your mental status.

Ahaha xD
The store was closed, but the salesman said he could wait if we hurry.
But we were delayed en route when a stingray in front of us killed a pedestrian.

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 08:21:11 PM »
(I'm not going to lie so did I  :-X)

But it's looking really interesting, I can't wait to hear about his session.  :)