Author Topic: How big are their ships?  (Read 728 times)

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
How big are their ships?
« on: November 16, 2011, 04:13:46 PM »

How big are the Animorphs' ships? I'm just curious because I was looking through Jeff Russell's Starship Dimensions site and I was curious as to where Animorphs ships would fit in on that list? As it is, in the series we've had a few times where the characters stated how big a ship is. Rachel said the Pemalite ship was 300 feet, which works out to about 90-something meters if I'm not mistaken, and it's also said that the Blade ship is "like" the world's biggest jumbo jet, and the Pool ship is as big as a city, though I think that is an exaggeration because something as big as a city would be kilometers long, similar to the alien spaceships in Independence Day. Also, the Yeerk truck ship was bigger than the Blade ship but smaller than the Pool ship... or did it not dock in the Pool ship? Fighters are described to be bigger than a minivan, about the size of real life fighter aircraft and/or semis or buses. So... anyone got any answers, theories? Ideas?

Offline Alan Fangor

Re: How big are their ships?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:22:58 PM »
That's interesting, I tought often about the size of the spaceships, while reading.

According to the books and the known informations, the probable dimension are, IMHO :

- 9-10 meters for the Bug Fighter (same lenght for Tail-fighter)
- 90-100 meters for the Blade ship
- 100 meters for Pemalite ship
- about 500 meters for the truck ship in #3 The Encounter
- 300-400 meters for Nova-Class Empire
- 1000 meters for Dome ship
- maybe about 2500 meters for Pool Ship from paw to paw 

It's more difficult to evaluate the weight. This ship must hover in the air apparently weightless; is unknown how powerful are the engines and how they works; is unknown what material are made of, or if they are for the most part full or empty to be as light as possible (but it seems they don't need to be sustained by air). We only have an idea of the internal of a bug fighter, and we can assume it is a single room with the instruments. I think it could weigh in a range of 5-10 tons, not more.

I'ts difficult to estimate other ships, but a Blade ship could be in order of 1,000 tons, a truck ship approximately 50,000 tons (empty, maybe twice full), a Pool ship about 800,000-1 milion tons. But these are mere hypotheses, totally random, relying on the fact that the ships should be quite light and mostly empty for maneuverability and speed.