Author Topic: The Next Generation of Fans  (Read 6726 times)

Offline Gaz

• RAF's Resident Coffee Addicted Pirate
  • God
  • Forsooth!
    • Rachel Recaps
Re: The Next Generation of Fans
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2008, 05:20:22 PM »
I have the entire collection in a box at home. Last summer I got my 15 year old sister hooked and she's most of the way through now. It's great, one time on a walk somewhere we had that in depth discussion on Andalite anatomy.  ;D

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2008, 05:49:07 PM »
I'll be mean to my kids and make them wait a month in between books to have the "real" experience. :) :)

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2008, 06:43:57 PM »
I think I'll just directly take them to RAF. I don't have all the books anyway. And they can develop computer skills early ;D

Offline AniFan

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2008, 04:26:22 AM »
Well, I think there should be something to encourage the Next Generation to take interest in Animorphs again. But the fact is, times are changing. I have two younger cousins who are still too young to read at this time. But I would have loved for them to become as much loyal fans as we all are, but the fact is they are so taken by their PS and cartoons that they barely finish their studies and run back to that. What makes it worse is that kids are getting more and more able to enforce their opinion and desires, so if they don't want to do what you're telling them to, they simply won't and you deal with it. So it might be easier to be able to let our kids and maybe siblings become fans of Animorphs, but it's going to take more than just the 'power of persuasion' to make all other kids such fans.
That is why a re-release with modernized cool attributes might be a big help.

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2008, 04:40:11 AM »
Then I simply won't buy them a PS. I lived fine without one, they can too.

Offline AniFan

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 05:00:28 AM »
That's what I meant. We can control that with our kids. But I'm talking about all the kids today who have already been sucked into the vortex of computer/PS games and TV that they don't even bother to look at anything else. I'm saying that most of today's generation is almost irrepairable at this point.

Maybe we can change that in future generations, like you said by controling how they spend their free time and what to do for fun. Future generations can be salvaged  ;)

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2008, 05:45:23 AM »
it was just a joke...one that I might actually do, but a joke...

well if they like tv, we could start with the animorphs tv show. if they like the show (which is possible if you haven't read the books yet), then show them the books.

Offline AniFan

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 05:54:10 AM »
No, that's the thing, it shouldn't be. I mean, I'm even suffering from that. I'm so addicted to the media (internet, TV, games) that I barely have time for anything else. Maybe not as extreme as not buying it at all, but to be able to teach them, since they are young, how to balance everything, get them to read books for the same amount of time as they do all that other stuff.

Just my opinion ...

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2008, 06:01:00 AM »
really? weird. I used to be addicted to media, too. I watched TV from morning to night. I still managed to find an interest in books. Whenever I saw a book about a tv show, I read it, even though I was a bit confused.

Offline AniFan

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2008, 06:12:52 AM »
Well, I meant it as an exageration, also to show how the kids today might be. I'm old enough to know that I shouldn't be so addicted to the media and am able to find the time to read books and do other stuff. Kids want to have fun, if they think games and internet are fun, they won't want to do anything else/ I've seen that in kids at school or in my family or my friends'.

I still reads books alot. I'm even re-reading the whole series of Animorphs and reading the ebook version of the ones I couldn't buy. I'm still buying books and planning to read them. I finished more than a dozen books, animorphs and other ones, over the last month or so. But when I do sit to use my laptop and such, I sometimes lose track of the time and end up not doing so many other things. That's all I meant by saying that.

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2008, 06:37:39 AM »
well I was only about 8 or 9 in the above statement...and I'm only 14 right now. But my idea of fun is a lot different from other people, so that might be why...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 06:39:56 AM by aquwaigher »

Offline Champion

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2008, 08:35:27 PM »
okay, ive herd alot about brainwashing, which i like.  :D, but maybe we could do stuff at our schools too? or at our old schools. One librarian at my town was a fan, and she had the books on the counter, and recomined it to everyone she saw. Maybe stuff like that?

Offline Starsword

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2008, 11:09:04 AM »
Alright. I like classic rock partly because its awesome, partly because I was exposed to it as a kid. So what does this mean? Kids today know Nightmare Before Christmas not because its a great movie but because its continually marketed well. I think the best way to get kids into it is through toys and bed sheets for parents to buy, and general merchandizing. You can force kids to read the book but you can't get them to like it. Product brings back nostalgia "yea, my parents forced me to wear that t shirt." A movie would generate interest, but only on the short term.
Until then we fight.

Offline Bladeh Mercury

• Xtreme Member
  • Beware of my love of cats!
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2008, 02:45:10 PM »
I'm worried if they put it on tv or something, it;s just going to a fad, something's that's not going to last long. There must be something else to persuade them to get interested.

Offline amy_animorph

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2008, 11:41:42 PM »
I'm 13, and my 10-year old brother and I got hooked on them after stumbling across a copy of the conspiracy at goodwill. you just don't hear about them anymore.