Author Topic: Time Travel  (Read 6588 times)

Offline yrkd88

Re: Time Travel
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 01:24:16 AM »
Awesomeness...I'd love to see your movie one of these days, if possible :D

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 08:34:08 AM »
I totally agree with Yorick. I LOVE time travel as well (anyone read Timeline by Michael Crichton?) and I also agree with that over usage of Ellimist and Crayak. They should have kept that stuff VERY limited IMO. Not that it was awful or anything, but I dunno. Would be more realistic if events happened because of the actual character's themselves instead of being influenced by multi-dimensional omnipotent beings.

Also being the ginormous ancient history geek that I am, I really would have liked to see the animorphs and v3 get blasted back to the times of the roman empire but that's just me^^. And of course the Agincourt battle in 1415 was a pretty cool touch in MM3. That definitely reminded me of the book Timeline :D

I've not read the book, but I'll definitely look into it as I love time travel!  :)

Going back to the Roman Empire would've been cool, and would certainly have forced my sister to read the series (she's obsessed with the Roman Empire). There are definitely some other places I'd like them to have gone, but I guess if they went to too many places then there would have been a lot less detail in each place they visited (or we'd have had the biggest Animorphs book of all time!)
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline filmstu2005

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 08:05:13 PM »
I totally agree with Yorick. I LOVE time travel as well (anyone read Timeline by Michael Crichton?) and I also agree with that over usage of Ellimist and Crayak. They should have kept that stuff VERY limited IMO. Not that it was awful or anything, but I dunno. Would be more realistic if events happened because of the actual character's themselves instead of being influenced by multi-dimensional omnipotent beings.

Also being the ginormous ancient history geek that I am, I really would have liked to see the animorphs and v3 get blasted back to the times of the roman empire but that's just me^^. And of course the Agincourt battle in 1415 was a pretty cool touch in MM3. That definitely reminded me of the book Timeline :D

Well what ARE the odds of the Animorphs, being who they were and being as important as they were, running into each other that night and coincidently meeting Elfangor who gave them powers? That alone is no coincidence. If wasn't for the Ellimist they never would've met Elfangor.  Cassie the anomaly, Marco, son of Visser ones host, Ax and Tobias, relatives of Elfangor? The only connecting factor was Jake, and we all know Rachel wasnt part of the original plan, she just tagged along. The Ellimist did not create the Animorphs. He saw them across time and space and nudged them together to a certain point in their lives. Thats really all he did. Everything before and after that was by THEIR CHOICE. Well, except for the books The Change and The Stranger.

The Animorphs were just regular happenings all on their own that the Ellimist brought together because he saw the possiblities. He saw what they could accomplish as a team. He's not controlling them like puppets, because not even he knows the definite future, as stated in The Stranger

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 12:42:53 AM »
Well I did want the Ellimist to have 'seen the possibilities' and 'nudge' anyone together. And I think everyone here already knows how I hated Applegate's make Cassie 'sub-temporarily' grounded crap. And did Elfangor, while I loved the Chronicles, HAVE to be anyone's father?

It was annoying. I hated it.
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline filmstu2005

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 02:44:49 AM »
Because it makes for an exciting read and gave the characters a sense of origin, especially Tobias. And Cassie being the anomaly was just as creative because it explains why she was so peculiar.

Sounds like you were reading the wrong book series, bud. Is there anything that you do like?

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 03:32:46 AM »
Um...I guess he liked the original basic idea of the story (you know kids turning into animals and kicking alien butt?), cuz I don't see how you'd start reading a series if you didn't like the original basic story.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 08:48:51 AM »
I don't see how you'd start reading a series if you didn't like the original basic story.

I'm not accusing anyone on this board, but I've known of people (some anti-Potter people, for example) who read books with a razor's edge, deliberately looking for "evil" and "satanic" things, completely using lines from the book out of context, whether deliberately or unintentionally.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 09:14:11 AM »
ok...those people are either crazy or paranoid...or both.

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 10:10:05 AM »
I hated Applegate's make Cassie 'sub-temporarily' grounded crap.

Actually, I agree.  It was crap.

"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 11:48:52 AM »
I liked the original basic story. Ordinary kids getting extraordinary powers fighting an extraordinary menace. I just hated how everything was predestined and manipulated by an outside force rather than have made decisions on their own.

A sense of origin? What the hell does that even mean?
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 06:26:54 PM »
I hated Applegate's make Cassie 'sub-temporarily' grounded crap.

Actually, I agree.  It was crap.

I actually kind of liked that. Mainly because now, if ever I get my books published, I have a basis on how to cross it over with Animorphs in fanfics. XD Since I use alternate realities, and anomolies in time and space, and stuff like that. So... yeah. ^_^.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 07:11:47 PM »
I actually kind of liked that. Mainly because now, if ever I get my books published, I have a basis on how to cross it over with Animorphs in fanfics. XD Since I use alternate realities, and anomolies in time and space, and stuff like that. So... yeah. ^_^.

Same thing with my book/s, only different realms/dimensions (which I don't set up immediately).

Sometimes I wonder if you create an entire world (such as K.A. Applegate or J.K. Rowling) if it doesn't become some sort of alternate reality or realm.  Not that it's linked to our own or anything . . . it's something I've casually wondered/

(January 7, 2020)

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 08:35:51 PM »

Same thing with my book/s, only different realms/dimensions (which I don't set up immediately).

Sometimes I wonder if you create an entire world (such as K.A. Applegate or J.K. Rowling) if it doesn't become some sort of alternate reality or realm.  Not that it's linked to our own or anything . . . it's something I've casually wondered/

Oddly I've actually wondered the same thing.  Often.  Are we just the fulfillment of some greater (or other) being's story telling?  By writing a story of my own am I actually creating a world that I could never even know about somewhere in my brain? (The universe does seem oddly similar to the makeup of a cell in many ways if you think about it...)  This possibility bring up a variety of moral questions...but would explain why bad things happen to good people (god doesn't know the evil he/she writes is actually meaningful)

But I digress...and have decided that I need to think less...
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 09:04:57 PM »
 ;) I've always said God is the greatest writer . . .

But I digress...and have decided that I need to think less...

No, don't!  We need philosophers and thinkers in this day and age! :)

(January 7, 2020)

Offline filmstu2005

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 11:29:26 PM »
I liked the original basic story. Ordinary kids getting extraordinary powers fighting an extraordinary menace. I just hated how everything was predestined and manipulated by an outside force rather than have made decisions on their own.

A sense of origin? What the hell does that even mean?

Think about it.