Author Topic: Why didn't Tobias try using the Escafil Device again?  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Re: Why didn't Tobias try using the Escafil Device again?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 11:46:22 PM »
Does anybody have an Andalite scientist hidden in their back pocket? Cause we could really use one right about now....

I would say there's definitely a link between the mass in Z-space and the morph body and somehow, after two hours that link is no longer maintained (save for the consciousness). But that's about all I've got....

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline filmstu2005

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 01:28:36 AM »
There's an additional complication as well. I can't remember exactly when they said it, but you can't acquire someone when they're in morph.

Funny you mentioned that. Because in Tobias' final book, The Diversion, KA broke her own rule and allowed Tobias' Mom Loren to acquire his DNA when he wasn't a true bird. What was up with that? Cause i know it was stated somewhere in the series that it was impossible to do, just like morphing str8 from one animal to another (only if you have a morph allergy like Rachel could that happen).

So i guess that's my question, why did she let Tobias' mom acquire him when there was a rule stating it impossible. Huge plot hole, and it seemed like the only way to get herself out of the corner she'd written herself into.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 01:31:05 AM »
actually, they mention quite a few times that the hawk is now tobias's original form.

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 03:46:35 AM »
actually, they mention quite a few times that the hawk is now tobias's original form.

And that's most probably down to the Ellimist rather than the technology.

There's one problem with the 'mass in Z space' theory. That only explains things if you go small, what happens when you morph something larger than yourself. Come to think of it, where does that extra mass come from in the first place?
You should never go in there without a mongoose. (James Bond, Live and Let Die)

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 04:18:30 AM »
good question. It couldn't come directly from z-space because ax said there's absolutely nothing in zero-space.

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 04:26:56 AM »
i think there exist a thing such as negative mass... hehehehehe.... hey, aliens, time travelers,  and mighty morphing kids exist in that world. Negative space sounds so normal.  ;D
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 08:41:19 AM »
this is probably a really stupid question, but once Tobias became a Nothlit, why didn't he try using the blue box again? i mean that would be the first thing i would try. sure he couldn't be himself again, but it might have given him back the morphing power

I'm sure somebody has already said this (don't have time to read the posts right now) but it has been said several times in the series that a nothlit cannot receive the morphing power (unless you happen to know an omnipotent being who owes you a favour).

Also, Tobias got his powers back from the Ellimist in book 13, but they didn't get the blue box back until book 20.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:47:13 AM by Phoenix004 »
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Venom

• Xtreme Member
  • We are Venom
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 10:11:08 AM »
yea both have been said
RAFDating Marie. Jealous?

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End

Basically I put everyone who looks like a good guy in Gryffindor and everyone who looks like a bad guy in Slytherin. The rest can go wherever the hell they want, I don't care.

Offline Starsword

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 07:33:36 PM »
If Tobias is a nothlit Hawk, and becomes himself as a nothlit, is he still a nothlit? or did he just make a big figurative circle.
Until then we fight.

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 07:59:54 PM »
he's still a nothlit, although because the ellimist is involved, no one is a hundred percent sure on that.

Offline Starsword

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 09:02:02 PM »
Lets ask him
Until then we fight.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 01:38:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure that would make him a nothlit, as he would be unable to morph or acquire the morphing power again (unless the Ellimist owed him another favour). The fact that he is a trapped in his original body doesn't mean he's not a nothlit.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 01:50:58 AM »
this is probably a really stupid question, but once Tobias became a Nothlit, why didn't he try using the blue box again? i mean that would be the first thing i would try. sure he couldn't be himself again, but it might have given him back the morphing power

The Morphing Cube was missing until David found it in book 20.  By that time, Tobias had already regained his morphing powers, so didn't NEED to use the morphing cube!

It is my understanding that the morphing cube won't work on nothlits.