Author Topic: Did anyone dislike Jake's orders? (regarding Rachel)  (Read 11922 times)

Offline Tiana

Did anyone dislike Jake's orders? (regarding Rachel)
« on: July 28, 2008, 07:07:53 PM »
Sorry if this has been brought up (I skimmed several pages and didn't see the topic).

***spoilers for those who didn't read #53 and #54***

Anyways, does anyone really dislike Jake's decision to have Rachel kill Tom? I know Rachel tried to explain it in #54, when she says that she's not technologically smart or valuable in that way as Ax, who Jake can't risk. But that also leaves Marco(who sees from point A to Z), Cassie(who sees the bigger picture), Tobias or one of the Auxilaries. Is it because Jake doesn't want to lose his best friend or his love?

I just thought it was harsh for him to ask Rachel to kill her own relative. Even if she's braver than the rest, having to kill your cousin is just.....wrong. Why not pick someone who's not related to Tom?

What are your thoughts :) Thanks!

Offline ThermalRider

• Workin' Them Angels
Re: Did anyone dislike Jake's orders? (regarding Rachel)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:00:44 PM »
I don't think that Cassie could have done it. She would have had too much internal struggle and moralizing to kill Jake's brother.

Marco is a possibility though.

I think that Jake probably wanted the most destructive person there though, since they would be alone against a fair number of morph-capable Yeerks. And no one fits that better that Rachel.

Offline Nomad Frog

• Wanderer
  • God
  • I Am Iron Frog
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:27:27 PM »
what about Tobias?  I think he could've done it, easily...but that's me.

Anywho...of course I don't like the order he gave to Rachel, or the effect it had, rather.  If he'd played the hand a little differently, though, we wouldn't have so much to discuss about the series.  XD
Not all who wander are lost

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:20:09 PM »
Cassie definitely wouldn't have been able to do it. Marco? Maybe. But when it came down to it, down to killing Tom, I think he would have hesitated. And even a moment's hesitation is enough to get you killed. That's why Jake made that decision. Rachel was best for the job.

Of course, I still didn't like the result.  :'(
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 09:46:47 PM »
I didn't like the idea of Rachel killing Tom, or Rachel dying, especially since it really didn't have to end that way. I do understand that there had to be a backup plan incase Tom's Yeerk backstabbed them. Which he did.

Also I think part of Rachel being there was to prevent the Yeerks from escaping with the blade ship and escafil device. They got away anyway, though, mainly because of Eric.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Tiana

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:09:25 PM »
I don't think that Cassie could have done it. She would have had too much internal struggle and moralizing to kill Jake's brother.

Marco is a possibility though.

I think that Jake probably wanted the most destructive person there though, since they would be alone against a fair number of morph-capable Yeerks. And no one fits that better that Rachel.

I agree with what you said about Cassie.

However, despite Rachel being all gungho etc, I think she (and any person) would have just as much trouble killing Tom because he's related to her.

You'd think Jake would want the best fighter there, so even though Rachel's fighting is very violent, at times she can get out of control and her style is not the "smartest". Wouldn't he want someone more strategic in that sense? Or I suppose that doesn't matter because Jake, Rachel and we all know it's a suicide mission.

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
Nobody likes it, but that's the way it is. :P
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 10:13:13 PM »
I liked it. there's my thoughts. three words. yeah I don't have a very big thought.

Offline Tiana

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 10:14:41 PM »
Nobody likes it, but that's the way it is. :P

lol very true. I just felt like Rachel got the short end of the stick. (and a part of me deep down thinks Jake was being selfish, but that's just me ;) )

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 01:53:44 AM »
Well Rachel was known for her bravery..it wouldnt have really fit to have someone else do it with her standing there and watching on screen.
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 01:58:13 AM »
Well Rachel was known for her bravery..it wouldnt have really fit to have someone else do it with her standing there and watching on screen.

Agreed.  If she found out Jake had asked someone else to do it, she would probably have done it herself anyway.

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 01:34:40 PM »
Two concerns:

1. Why was she sent alone (especially considering all the auxilaries)?  Maybe there is a legit reason for this...it's been a while.

2. After all the ridiculous situations they get themselves out of why does one of the main characters suddenly have to die because it's the end of the series?  It just kinda cheapened the ending (like a cheesy tv series that kills off a character at the end of a season to get people to watch the season opener)
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 02:10:17 PM »
You know? I never really thought of it that way. Sure, death is a natural part of life, and people die every day, and people die in wars, but it is kind of strange that she died at the end, after all the crazy things they'd already done. Perhaps in was only a matter of time...
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 02:18:35 PM »
Haha!  I made a good point!  ;D  I don't suck!

...next time I just have to be more dignified about it...
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 02:28:48 PM »
Two concerns:

1. Why was she sent alone (especially considering all the auxilaries)?  Maybe there is a legit reason for this...it's been a while.

2. After all the ridiculous situations they get themselves out of why does one of the main characters suddenly have to die because it's the end of the series?  It just kinda cheapened the ending (like a cheesy tv series that kills off a character at the end of a season to get people to watch the season opener)
I think sending a few with Rachel would have been safer than sending them all to die with the other troops.

It does suck that she died, especially since she didn't even have to. KA forced her to die unnecessarily to make the ending more tragic than it had to be.

Ani-Master 2014!