Author Topic: Animorphs with an older audience.  (Read 9174 times)

esplin

Animorphs with an older audience.
« on: July 12, 2009, 09:15:26 AM »
What do you guys think the animorphs would be life if they were about 3 years older at the start of the war?

Think there would be more sex drugs or violence?

Basically discuss what you think the series would be like if it was intended for more mature readers.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:25:37 AM by Phoenix004 »

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Animorphs with an older auidence.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 09:30:56 AM »
They would probably be less naive, and there would likely be more open romance. Not sure about drugs. I don't see how things could get much more violent. KA had the violence part down pretty well, I think.

Having one or more members take up something light during the later years of the war wouldn't be too out of place, if they started out a bit older. Like Marco taking up smoking.

I don't think I'd mind if they were older, but since I know I'd tone things down if I was put in charge of a reimagining of the series, I'd likely stick to them starting out as they were.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline JFalcon

• I need to get out more . . .
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:55:54 PM »
Mm. Tobias strikes me as the sort who might have eventually ended up doing drugs if he hadn't become an Animorph, so if three years had gone by without friends in his life he may well have turned to drugs.
"I would be a ghost of this dynasty before I'd be a general of rebels and traitors!" ~ Pang De, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

"My brain! My brain! Me hurty to think!" ~ Zim, Invader Zim

"Fight it off? You must have me confused with someone who's brave." ~ Church, Red vs Blue

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 01:03:01 PM »
Heck, his life may have ended via suicide. Really, becomeing an Animorph was the best thing to ever happen to him. It gave him a purpose in life, and close friends. Though in the end Rachel dies, and he separates himself from everything else good in his life. His friendship with Jake is shattered, and he apparently doesn't feel like going with Ax or moving in with his mother.

If Tobias actually got his Human body back after book 13, instead of being a morph capable hawk, then I could definitely see him going to drugs. But the hawk thing gets in the way of that.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Sub Visser

• The SECOND Andalite Controller
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 01:08:23 PM »
I always felt that they were older than what they were, there personalities didn't seem to match there age.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 04:17:12 PM »
Tobias would have been gay
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 04:24:10 PM »
Then I guess Marco would be with Rachel. That would lose a lot of the drama with Rachel, though. "Do I want to stay with Tobias, or find someone who doesn't have a time limit when he's Human?"

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline anijen21

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 04:31:25 PM »
I know I'm like the only one, but to be totally honest I hated Rachel and Tobias.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 04:44:06 PM »
It would probably make more since that if one of the guys would be left out, that it would be Tobias.

Though I am not an anti Rachel/Tobias person.

Ani-Master 2014!

esplin

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 06:34:42 PM »
I never liked Tobias, Rachel could have done better.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 06:37:37 PM »
Think, also, how much better planned their missions would've been... and how much less free time they'd've had to carry out those same plans.  :o
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Sub Visser

• The SECOND Andalite Controller
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 06:39:25 PM »
I liked Rachel and Tobias more than Jake and Cassie.  There relationship was much more interesting and they openly talked about it more too.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 06:40:44 PM »
The Jake and Cassie one had much less drama, so not much was done with it. Besides the kiss in 26, Cassie leaving Jake at the end, and maybe some passing mention of other kissing in between those times.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 06:41:20 PM »
There is that, certainly.
As a tyke reading the books, I loved Rachel and Tobias as characters, but not as a relationship.
I treated the Cassie/Jake situation as nonexistant, due to its infrequent plot use.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 07:18:22 PM »
Their age never bothered me, but I definitely think that if they made an Animorphs movie (or new TV show) then they should make the characters 16 or over so that they could include more mature situations that might be considered inappropriate for 13 year olds (eg. graphic violence, drugs, mature romance, etc.)
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!