Author Topic: how is animorphs a childrens book!?  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
Re: how is animorphs a childrens book!?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 11:04:12 PM »
When I first read the series I couldn't imagine adults reading it... I still kinda can't (because all of them that do it are crazy) do that because the concept is put together for children.
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 09:54:50 AM »
*Imagines self, 30 years old in a standoff against the police, barricaded inside a small apartment filled with K.A. Applegate books*
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Unknown User

• RAF's Official Ellimist Expert
  • Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »
I'm pretty sure it has already been said, but that is the whole POINT of the series. To push the boundaries and to treat children like functioning humans, instead of little kiddies who can't think past what is for breakfast. I think Applegrant very carefully walked that line, very intentionally. I guess they just had some like-minded editors at scholastic.
Meh.

Offline Alan Fangor

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »
I think that Animorphs are considered childrend book 'cause the general idea is about aliens, superpowers, science fiction, animals, and the protagonists are teens.

The most childish thing IMHO is the representetion of the Yeerks as a race of brutal, ruthless, evil beings, which seem to hate one another - I don't understand how they can cooperate for an invasion, in these conditions - and Visser III, that is a very stereotyped villain, he seems to act as if he were playing the role of the Bad Guy, bad just to be bad.

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »
IDK, the yeerk's command structure was similar to the USSR.  Highly centralized, little room for lower level peons to take initiative, high fear of failure and punishment for it, they worked fairly well, except for the collapse after about 80 years and terrible living standards.  But I definetely agree about Visser 3, for someone resourceful enough to climb the ranks that far, he was pretty much an idiot.

Offline Valennia

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 06:03:07 PM »
When I was reading the Animorphs books as a kid I remember the most enjoyable aspect of it being that I would daydream that I was an Animorph and had the power to morph.. I just remember thinking it would be so cool to morph into any animal I wanted. I was really lonely as a kid and sometimes I'd just imagine that I was an extra member of the Animorphs and they were real and I was helping them save the world.  8)
And sure, there were definitely parts of the books I didn't understand, but I'd just skim past it as most kids do when they're reading something past their level.
I think this series is enjoyable at all ages as long as you have an open mind, and dreams of adventure, fantasy, and science fiction, stuff that's beyond reality... because let's face it, taking reality too seriously in itself is enough to drive you insane.  :o
And yeah Visser 3 was pure evil and a cliché super villain but why not? :)

Offline Adam

• British
  • Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Animorphs Fic Writer
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 08:05:28 PM »
I must admit, I was much more emotionally pulled by the series when i was about 19-20 than when I was about 9-10. Back when I was younger, it was more about the action and aliens, now it's much more about questioning what is the right thing to do in difficult situations.

I suppose that's what makes something good: It appeals in more ways than one to different demographics.
Check out my Animorphs fan-fiction on this site!
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=9858.0