Author Topic: Planet Andalite must be one dangerous place...  (Read 4998 times)

Offline JFalcon

• I need to get out more . . .
Re: Planet Andalite must be one dangerous place...
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 10:56:09 PM »
Physically laughable? You bet. But that's because we're getting weaker and weaker, at some point we developed spears and everything went downhill, even our bite strength is decreasing, the time will come when mankind can no longer handle a steak. Look at our spearless cousins the chimps, they're a lot like us, they even go to war . . . with their bare hands, talk about hard core, they can rip monkeys apart and eat them raw, we shoot a deer and cook it.

Science and an almost total lack of natural selection has allowed us to become weak, so I wonder why the Andalites, with their superior science and utter lack of natural selection when not at war haven't gotten weaker, or, if they have, what kind of super race existed between the Ellimist Andalites and the Andalites of today.

While it might not be an indication of a dangerous planet, I think it very well could be if the Andalites, despite their science, are not weakening.

This will all probably make less sense to me when I fully wake up  :P
"I would be a ghost of this dynasty before I'd be a general of rebels and traitors!" ~ Pang De, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

"My brain! My brain! Me hurty to think!" ~ Zim, Invader Zim

"Fight it off? You must have me confused with someone who's brave." ~ Church, Red vs Blue

Offline ChimichangaChupacabra

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 11:16:21 PM »
Maybe we're just uniquely pussified within the galaxy?

To put the question crudely.
"WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!" - Bale.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 01:31:18 AM »
maybe the tail blade is for fighting with other andalites?
or showing off for mating or something?

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 01:00:48 PM »
Physically laughable? You bet. But that's because we're getting weaker and weaker, at some point we developed spears and everything went downhill, even our bite strength is decreasing, the time will come when mankind can no longer handle a steak. Look at our spearless cousins the chimps, they're a lot like us, they even go to war . . . with their bare hands, talk about hard core, they can rip monkeys apart and eat them raw, we shoot a deer and cook it.

Science and an almost total lack of natural selection has allowed us to become weak, so I wonder why the Andalites, with their superior science and utter lack of natural selection when not at war haven't gotten weaker, or, if they have, what kind of super race existed between the Ellimist Andalites and the Andalites of today.

While it might not be an indication of a dangerous planet, I think it very well could be if the Andalites, despite their science, are not weakening.

This will all probably make less sense to me when I fully wake up  :P

You make a very good point, but you forget that Andalites evolved from very different creatures than us. The first chance humans got, we built shelter for ourselves which eventually led to houses, other buildings, cities and easier and easier living as technology advanced.

The Andalites on the other hand, despite having vastly superior technology to us, still spend most of their time outdoors and only use shelter when it is needed. Therefore, they still need most of the traits for survival in the wild, unlike humans who adapt to their situation instead of evolving to meet their needs. Biologically this makes humans not very impressive, but it gives us the advantage of being highly adaptable to any changes that come our way. The only flaw in this is if a change is so big and happens so fast that we don't have a chance to adapt.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 04:58:46 AM »
what's the difference between evolve and adapt? isn't evolution adapting to one's surroundings or something?

Offline ChimichangaChupacabra

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 05:11:51 AM »
Over like a bazillion gazillion years with a few extra "illions".  Adapting is, like, "hey, Antarctica is cold - I'm gonna kill something and wrap its skin around me for giggles".
"WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!" - Bale.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 10:55:20 AM »
Chimi's right. Adaptation is much faster than evolution. One single person can adapt to different environments and lifestyles if they have to. Evolution is much slower.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 12:23:30 PM »
Adaption is faster yes, but it also heavily relies on what you can accomplish with your surroundings. For example, living in a very cold climate it would make sense to steal animal fur to keep warm, but what if there is no animal fur available? You're going to be wishing you had your own fur then.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 04:09:09 PM »
What about the time-keeping sense? I understand the tail blade, the ability to sense polarity/magnetic fields, the extra eyes. Those all make sense when you're talking about adaptations. But where along the lines is an adaptation for keeping time useful? Obviously it has something to do with the rotation and revolution of the planet and its sun(s), but why? Does it have something to do with tracking the seasons or something?

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline estrid

• God
  • LOL
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 05:21:23 PM »
the andalites could have evolved those traits for defense, and with the help of those traits become the dominant species and wiped out what used to prey on them. it is possible, as humans have done similar things back in our evolutionary history

and while we are on the topic of planet andalite, y in 60 books, as she never able to actually NAME the place. i just feel like always saying andalite homeworld is kinda simple, especially for such a sentient race
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 05:25:09 PM by estrid »
" 'What do you care if he drains a few vegetables?' I asked. 'He's a vampire!' Chester snarled. 'Today vegetables....tomor row, the world!' " Bunnicula-a Rabbit Tale of Mystery

Jess is my RAFbest friend cuz she is way awesome!
Cody-my gayBFF for eva!
Coolest Member of the Year 2009

Offline CDJV

• Sadist :)
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »
I'm guessing it would be something along the lines of 'Andal' or similar.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 06:22:57 PM »
Yeah, I had always thought "Andal", since they are "Andalites". Like...Michiganites or something. But maybe I just think that b/c one of the fics I've been reading uses Andal as the name of their homeworld. :)

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 07:47:21 PM »
The timekeeping thing was just a story mechanic, so it wouldn't be so hectic trying to figure out what time it was. That may be part of the reason why she decided to make one of the main characters an Andalite, instead of just six Humans. Or five Humans.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 08:04:31 PM »
the timekeeping might not be natural. they could've installed in their heads for military use or something...

I don't think it's called Andal. We don't exactly call our planet Hum or something like that...

Offline ThinkAgain

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • What to say?
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 09:47:52 PM »
Well I'm new here, but I think I'll get to the point.

As far as Andalites not growing weaker, and if anything, stronger, I think this is caused not by natural selection, but by selective breeding.

Ax originally feels extreme hate towards vecols and other invalids or disabled people, not because of his character, but by what his society has taught/told him. Most likely, these people are shunned in an organized fashion to prevent the mingling of 'bad' DNA with 'good' DNA. I remember from one of the chronicles books, I think it was the Andalite Chronicles, but it may have been Hork-Bajir; the respective Andalite of the book performs the wish-flower ritual and says something along the lines of, "With the war going on, they may start letting some families have children." It was either Aldrea referring to her younger brother or Elfangor to Ax.

Either way, this demonstrates that the Andalite government has at least some form of when kids could be had, and possibly to who. It's also well known that the Andalites have pushed something of a strong sense of what could be compared to nationalism to their people. Initially, Ax is extremely steadfast in the beliefs of his people and is for a while is disbelieving they could do wrong. This is likely caused by propaganda, probably put into effect behind the scenes. I remember in the book where Ax meets the other Andalites for the first time (with Estrid... I think it's 38), the 'Apex Level Intelligence' or something like that, basically controlled the Andalite council. If it's anything like this at all - War and corruption while the people see nothing - the Andalites could be made to try to form the "Aryan Master Race" of sorts. In other words, "Your tail blade is small. You will not have Children." The propaganda fed and nationalistic Andalites would happily comply. This, coupled with very likely behind the scenes bio-work, could easily make them stronger with extra senses (Time, etc) than what would naturally occur.

As for humans, put simply, we're opportunists. If there's an easier way to do something, we do it. Why work fields when you can ride a tractor? As for adaption, we've had no choice. A small population in a temperate region with tail blades for keep predators at bay wouldn't have trouble. A relatively small mammal with no natural weapons, low strength, and low speed needs to be able to exploit every possible opportunity to survive.

What does it mean to be free?