Author Topic: Best and Worst supplementary Animorphs book  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Yorick Brown

Best and Worst supplementary Animorphs book
« on: July 26, 2008, 06:19:42 PM »
Best:

-The Andalite Chronicles (Elfangor was such a great character and I loved his adventures)

Worst:

-The Ellimist Chronicles (Can you say 'convoluted mess' kids? Applegate should have scrapped this ludicrous origins story and made the Ellimist a member of an advanced and ancient alien civilization)

The Hork-Bajor Chronicles was good too but nowhere near as good as Andalite Chronicles. Beats Ellimist Chronicles any day of the week though.

I was never able to find a copy of Visser until earlier this year at a public library. I checked it out and read the prolouge but I was simply too mature to enjoy the book. (Not a diss on Applegate's writing. Just that whether you want to or not, you lose interest on the things you once loved as a kid because you've grown out of it.) Also, I read what happened on Wikipedia and it probably would have been too disturbing to ever read. (God I hate those Yeerks and their creepy, envy-motivated, merciless body controlling ways).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 06:29:19 PM by Yorick »
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
Re: Best and Worst Supplementary Animorphs book
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 06:22:18 PM »
what's a supplementary animorphs book? you mean the chronicles?

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 06:24:29 PM »
I actually really like the Ellimist Chronicles. But I'm an Ellimist fangirl, and a gamer, so the book was right down my alley. XD Yes, there was a lot of really confusing stuff in it, but to give credit where it's due, it made a lot more sense than some of my own stories.

Least favourite.... I don't know. I really liked all of the Chronicles, so it's hard to pick one I liked least.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 06:26:31 PM »
My favorite is HBC.  My least favorite would be the Ellimist Chronicles.  It wasn't bad, just not my thing, really.

esplin

Re: Best and Worst supplementary Animorphs book
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »
i liked them all and i think its really sad that you havent finished visser, its one of the most mature books in my oponion and a really great read at that

Offline WildAtHeart

• My Myspace
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 06:48:36 PM »
i'm not sure which is the best for me, cause i loved all the Chronicles.  i remember when the HBC came out, i re-read it so many times in a row lol

Offline Nomad Frog

• Wanderer
  • God
  • I Am Iron Frog
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 06:57:34 PM »
to be quite honest, the only one I read was TAC -- and I kept reading it, and kept reading it, and kept reading it XD  I really did like that whole story. 
Not all who wander are lost

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 09:37:31 PM »
Best is Hork-Bajir Chronicles for me. I think it's the English teacher in me, but K.A. just put so much epic writing and imagery into that book that I start bouncing up and down when I think of the rhetoric (yes, I am lame. Shut up).

Worst is probably Ellimist. Not because it was bad, it wasn't. I could relate to the gamer concept and I liked Toomin. I think it just felt a little more....distant...t han the other Chronicles. TAC dealt with betrayal and failure, HBC dealt with love and loss and fighting for a lost cause, Visser was about forbidden love and loyalty. Ellimist was focused on one individual with no broader theme beyond "this is how screwed up my life has gotten". I don't relate as well to stuff like that.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Kharina

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 03:15:13 PM »
My fave was Visser (a whole book from a Yeerk's POV :D), closely followed by HBC and AC...

Ellimist Chronicles was my least fave, really.  I was never a big Ellimist fan.

Offline Starsword

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 09:32:09 AM »
I really liked Visser and HBC, Andalite Chronicals were good, but I found Visser and HBC more interesting.
Until then we fight.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 10:55:51 AM »
I'm assuming we aren't counting the Alternamorphs books? Because they would definitely be the worst! They read like a bad fanfic!

The best by far was The Andalite Chronicles. In fact, I'd say that's one of my all time favourite books period (not just in the series). Elfangor was a fantastic narrator, the story was great and it answered a lot of questions. It had action, humour, drama, it had everything!

The worst? I'd be tempted to say The Ellimist Chronicles. There were parts of it that I loved, and it at least explained a few things about the Ellimist, but other parts were a little confusing and it still left a lot of unanswered questions.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »
Oddly, I recall having loved the Ellimist chronicles despite having hated the character (at the time).

Didn't really like the Hork-Bajir Chronicles as much.  It was entertaining (all the books were) but just not as enthralling (again, at the time) as some of the other background histories.

Of course take these comments with a grain of salt.  Especially considering I've read the Silmarillion a half dozen times.  Stuff like that is just right up my alley evidently.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 11:48:27 AM by wotw2112 »
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Hett

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 11:43:33 AM »
I really enjoyed all of the chronicles, but I'd have to say Ellimist was my favorite (Am I the voice of dissent or what?). I really liked the much broader, stranger setting of the book. It was a good change from the norm for the series.

HBC and TAC were both equally good, in my book. They're very different stories, so I prefer not to compare them.

The Alternamorphs were a horrible mistake.

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 02:19:10 PM »
 Yeah, I loved the Ellimist Chronicles! I loved reading about a completely different race, in a completely different setting with completely different powers. I also liked the broader setting, the evolution of the Ellimist and his race, the many alien races...it kinda was more like other science fiction books.

I actually wished it was longer!

I didn't get to finish Visser Chronicles...cuz I read it in the bookstore! Yep, that's right. I'm a dork.

And Hork-Bajir was alright, but I didn't really relate to the hork-bajir....i gotta go find them and reread them now!
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?

Offline filmstu2005

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 03:18:29 PM »
Best is Hork-Bajir Chronicles for me. I think it's the English teacher in me, but K.A. just put so much epic writing and imagery into that book that I start bouncing up and down when I think of the rhetoric (yes, I am lame. Shut up).

Worst is probably Ellimist. Not because it was bad, it wasn't. I could relate to the gamer concept and I liked Toomin. I think it just felt a little more....distant...t han the other Chronicles. TAC dealt with betrayal and failure, HBC dealt with love and loss and fighting for a lost cause, Visser was about forbidden love and loyalty. Ellimist was focused on one individual with no broader theme beyond "this is how screwed up my life has gotten". I don't relate as well to stuff like that.

Exactly why I loved the Hork-Bajir Chronicles. Seriously, what a great epic story. It described the origin of the Yeerk/Andalite War through the eyes of Seerow's daughter. It gave us Visser Three's backstory and introduced the concept of the Hork-Bajir "seer."

The Hork-Bajir world was this beautifully crafted planet shrouded in mystery. It had creativity, history, culture, a dark secret, and a depressing future. Plus the love story b/w Aldrean and Dak Hamee was an interesting read. The arrogant manipulative intelligence of Aldrea was a strong match for Dak's own increasingly insightful intellect. They clashed and yet he still loved her. He knew she was using him, and yet he still loved her. They fought side by side but still lost their world to the Yeerks. And yet, he still loved her.

Epic indeed. Those are the kind of stories that get me. I agree with what you said about the Ellimist. It was really just a simple biopic. There was no real adventure. No deep soul-searching. No major emotional challenges. It left me a bit confused. Its still a decent book. Just not my favorite.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:22:02 PM by filmstu2005 »