Author Topic: Hey everyone!  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
Re: Hey everyone!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 04:57:10 PM »
*Washing her hands with a hand sanitizer* OK, great ^^ Please read the main thread of the Ebook Project. You can work on the ebooks when you want, but you must tell me which ebook you are working on. There are few more rules, I let you read them quietly. But don't worry, you help when you have time for that ^^
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

HiImshort

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 12:27:31 PM »
Late as usual. Hi patric. Names, well for now, Darth Vader...but you can me shorty.

Offline Red

• raptor girl
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 11:10:55 AM »
Hullo! I'm new here too :) I hear you on those pesky undergrad degrees; so many shows, so many books cruelly wasted. What did you study?

Offline patric

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 05:28:48 PM »
Hey Red! i just posted on your newness, but i'll reply anyway!

I actually studied creative writing in my undergrad, and am studying for Library Science right now (though i promise i haven't given up the world of poetry!)
"And for years I believed
That what went unsaid between us became empty,
And pure, like starlight, & that it persisted.

I got it all wrong.
I wound up believing in words the way a scientist
Believes in carbon, after death. " --Excerpt from Winter Stars by Larry Levis

Offline Red

• raptor girl
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 08:12:35 AM »
Oh, awesome! We are quite the writerly community.  I hate being asked this question myself but.. What kind of stuff do you write/write about, poetry-wise? I wanted to do Library Sciences. Gutted I passed it up and now can't afford it. Are you having fun on the course?

Offline patric

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 11:07:40 AM »
Haha, yeah, thats a hard question to answer. umm.... i guess i write a lot of first person (usually non-autobiographical) narrative poems. A lot of my older stuff was very rural oriented, then i wrote a lot of stuff about Ireland, and now that i've moved to the big city i seem to be writing a lot about that. How about yourself?

I actually really enjoy my courses. I have one pesky online class that is sort of taking the wind out of my sails, but otherwise its pretty awesome. We went on a trip to the Detroit Public Library yesterday, and got to talk with the librarians about what they do. Its a nice mix of practical (i'm actually trained to do a job) and academic (information and ethical theory).

I don't know how it is over where you live, but if you ever really want to pursue it i'd advise coming overseas. its pricy, but the American Library Association is virtually throwing money at people who can prove their worth. I myself need to get some of it to make my life a bit easier.

I got it all wrong.

Offline Red

• raptor girl
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 02:12:05 PM »
Like, confessional poetry? I'm a prose writer myself (she said, sounding incredibly pretentious) but I do on occasion write 'girl poetry' :p So why the rural? Were you just inspired or did you live in Ireland for a while?

Actually having a practical skill is definitely a good thing right now. Your course sounds good! This money-throwing thing sounds even better. I've always wanted to live in America and I think this qualifies as a good excuse to run away! There are like, no jobs in England.

(Sorry about all the poetry-based questions! I have an hour to kill and my kitten does not respond well to the philosophical or literary debates I try to have with it.)

Offline patric

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 02:48:27 PM »
No worries, i understand! Besides, i love talking poetry!

My writing isn't really confessional, at least not in the traditional sense... at least not usually... i do have a few poems here or there. I mostly do "i" naratives, but almost all of my poetry is too fictionalized to be confessional.

I guess i don't really know what school I fit into. My stuff isn't really in the post-modern camp. My stuff is very concrete and image based, but i'm not really an Imigist or Concrete poet. Hmm... i guess i'll have to think about that.

I grew up in a very rural area. Lived in the middle of the woods, surrounded by nature. As far as the Irish stuff goes, i'm really interested in Ireland. English, Irish, and Swedish are my family background, so that was sort of the seed. I really began to be interested by the music, then the lit, then the history. Over the summer i read a lot of Irish stuff, and as a result  wrote a lot about it. I'm hoping to be able to save up some money and fly out there next semester.

My turn! what kinds of things do you write?

Yeah, there are tons of good schools over here too! The one I'm going to is in the top twenty library science schools, and its fairly easy to get into. I tried to get into the number one, but i was shot down fairly quickly. America is a pretty cool place, at least from my limited perspective. I mean, we have our problems, but so does everyone. While i don't have the authority to speak for everyne i'm going to anyway: you are welcome to come over!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 03:12:14 PM by patric »

I got it all wrong.