Author Topic: Did you like the ending? *SPOILERS!!*  (Read 7241 times)

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
Re: Did you like the ending? *SPOILERS!!*
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 09:11:08 PM »
I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the ending.  But I will admit, it was more of a "WUT?!  No I need to know what happens!" hate than a "wow that was stupid." Hate.  I clung on to a lot of hope that the ending meant that there was going to be a sequel series.

Who knows, maybe the re-release will lead to a sequel?  At the very least it lead to a whole series of fanfics in my head.  XD

Offline yunyun

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Dreaming on :P
Re: Hallowe'en!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »
Whats WUT supposed to mean?

And the re release is only re releasing the old ones. Theyre not adding new books to animorphs
Starfire is my RAFcousin. :D
click?

Thanks Ouroborus! ^_^

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 09:46:12 PM »
I wish *daydreams*
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 10:26:32 PM »
"Wut" is just slang for "what."  =P   And its too bad she won't continue the series.  :(  Oh well.

Offline perseusjackson16

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 08:23:36 PM »
Imo opinion Animorphs is much better than the Remnants, so I don't understand how she could have just lost interest in it. I really disliked how the book ended. I just don't like cliffhangers. Give me a bad ending anyday, but at least it's closure. I also think there should def. be a sequel because the end was almost like introducing more antagonists and I thought as I read the book that there were definetly not enough pages for her to end the book well. Also sad that Rachel had to die, if there had to b a suicide mission someone shoulda gone with her. Considering by herself she wrecked the entire crew, What could 2 people have done o.O?

Offline Gumby

• Reginald, Lord of The Abyss.
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to where it all began
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 09:00:17 PM »
Did I like the ending?

Oh Gods, NO!

I can UNDERSTAND the reasoning behind it, but just NO. I did not like it and will NEVER like it. I WANT a happy ending, I wanted Tobias and Rachel to get married, and I wanted a damn happy ending! When I read a book I'm there for a thrilling journey and for entertainment, not to see all my hopes dashed by a cruel cliff-hanger.

GAAARGH! *Rants in anger*
"Now I can't speak for everyone; at least not until 'The Device' is completed."

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 11:41:12 PM »
Welcome to the club, Shion. It's a real slap in the face seeing a main character die right at the end for cheap drama, with the author knowing s/he doesn't have to deal with any consequences afterwards because it's the last book/episode.

Ani-Master 2014!

NateSean

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 10:39:24 AM »
It's not like Animorphs is the first series where 99% of the characters die.

Forever Knight comes to mind. Even though it's off screen, it's largely assumed that Lacroix killed Nick.

Besides, all we see at the very end of the book is "Ram the Bladeship" and a note from the author saying it ended on a big bang. She didn't say, "and the characters died in a fiery explosion, never to be heard from again. But that's okay because I have all of your money."

She left it open ended so that fanfiction writers could basically decide for themsleves what officially happened.

Offline Gumby

• Reginald, Lord of The Abyss.
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to where it all began
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 10:56:59 AM »
I don't like it where most of the main characters die though, and I really hate having US decide if they lived or died.
"Now I can't speak for everyone; at least not until 'The Device' is completed."

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

NateSean

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
At that point it's a matter of perspective. I personally hate being spoonfed. Growing up, whenever I read a story, I spent hours speculating about the characters and wondering what happened that the author didn't cover.

It's like fans of Doctor Who who wonder if he only has one more regeneration to go or if he's going to somehow get new ones and live on. Personally, I think the Doctor has lived for a lot longer than we see on screen which is how we get the dramas, the comics, and the books and such. So it's plausible that even though Colin Baker's doctor was only on screen for two years, that the Sixth Doctor has been in existence for much longer.

Similarly, maybe Jake, Marco and Tobias died along with Ax in a collision. Maybe the One decided to use the vastness of space to maybe not allow the Rachel to smash into it. Maybe the Kelbrid swoop in and ask what the eff is going on?

esplin

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 12:48:50 PM »
These are my counterpoints for the people arguing FOR the end of the series.  I want to make sure everyone is clear that I'm okay with everything about the ending except anything dealing with The One or the Kelbrids.  Im cool with a cliff hanger and people possibly dying and a general depressing ending:

1.  Is fan fiction really a good excuse to write in totally new and tacked on plot?  How many fans of the series consider it important to the original canon?  What is the importance of the The One and The Kelbrids to the rest of the series of a whole?  Why couldn't the renegade yeerks just stumbled on some old and powerful technology?  Why couldn't there just be no last mission?  That is way more real, sad, and true to real war. 

2. Is trying to have to story end with the theme 'war is bad mkay' (which was one of the main themes of the whole series.) Then show that with how shallow Marco became, how depressed Tobias and Jake, how distant Cassie became, and how dead Rachel became, perfect characterization. Only to go back on that message with "Wait! Theres more missions everything is okay ,write a fic about it!" :D 
Is Really a good consistent writing style/message?

3.  Ax is the only character to end up with what he wanted in the end of the series.  To punish him for being happy and betraying the animorphs, she makes him worse then dead.  I will admit she needed someone close to the animorphs to draw them into space and such but my first two counterpoints argue the whole thing is extra anyway so it just easily be that he went on to be okay kinda like Cassie.

Things I admit to liking:

1. Cassie's decision to stay behind on the last mission.  This really shows how she managed to separate herself from the war better then the others.  The fact that she was the Ellimist's wild card and his chosen one is really brought out here.  She did her job by keeping things mostly within her moral standard and getting over the war. 

2.  I like what happened to Jake and Rachel.  Its messed up but it felt real and its what should have happened.  The only fic I ever really felt moved by was one where the Ellimist kept Rachel alive as per her request and things didn't end up so great for her (the fic had nothing to do with The One or the Kelbrid except that maybe it was mentioned as a side thing only briefly).

3.  Everything before the mission into to kelbrid space.  I also just wrote a down a three and couldn't think of anything more specific.  I also wanna note that I can't really do anything about how it was written and that I think people who argue for the ending how it is might do it out of defense for the series in its originality.  This of course is a flawed idea because people always slam book 44 but maybe they embrace the ending as a way to cope with it and thus defend it.  Who knows...

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 12:58:56 PM »

There's two things I hated about the ending; the small scale of the so-called "open war"; I'd have expected to see cities being attacked, people being rounded up, like Visser Three boldly stated he'd do, and instead he just GAVE them time to arm up; also, the human military's response. WTF? I really wanted to see something like Independence Day, with the Anis sabotaging the Yeerk efforts in any way they could and prolonging the books by another four or five. This proves that Animorphs was always meant to be philosophical, not epic sci-fi like Star Wars.

I had no problems with Rachel dying; SOMEONE had to die, but the sheer randomness of it made me scratch my head in confusion. Why not kill two? Or three?

And the cliffhanger. Oooooooh, the ****ING cliffhanger. I've always hated that not because of how it's written - it is greatly written, to be honest - but because I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!!! I'm a sucker for details. As detailed as something is, the more I love. I wanted to know what The One was, who the Kelbrid were, and everything else related to that. The lack of details on that just astounded me. Also, the Kelbrid-Andalite War smack strongly of the Earth-Romulan War of Star Trek, which to me felt stupid - I mean, seriously, you fight your enemy without ever seeing him? Doesn't that go against all the established rules of warfare?

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 10:54:14 PM »
There were some things I liked and that I didn't like about the ending.

-As sad as it is, especially since she was my third favorite character, I liked how Rachel went out.  I like books that leave me heartbroken an leave me feeling for the characters, I think invoking an emotional response takes so much more skill than just giving a happy ending.

-I also liked the portrayal of Jake at the end.  It was realistic, I got the feeling that they were REAL people when I was reading.  If KAA wrote "And then Jake went on to live a life full of sunshine and flowers after GIVING THE ORDER TO KILL HIS COUSIN" I probably would have burned the book.  (lol)  He's going to be messed up, real messed up, and she touched on that.  I think this book alone made Jake my second favorite character.  I used to be sad that Jake and Cassie didn't get together, but in the end I'm kind of glad they broke up because he really deserves better.

-Now, I'm sure everyone one knows but now, I don't really like Cassie's character.  The way she ended up with someone else really just sealed the deal for the entire series and kind of confirmed the character for me.  (Now, this is my opinion) she didn't have what it took to sacrifice anything for anyone but herself and her morals.  She didn't care about anything but her own morals.  She just was not mentally capable of breaking outside of her own little box and seeing the world for what it was, or in the end helping her friends deal with the terrible reality that they protected her from.  When her friends were falling apart around her, she ran off and married someone that wasn't damaged by the war.  Basically it was my "AHA I KNEW you were slime" moment.  It made me feel really bad for Jake, he sacrificed basically his entire life and soul to save earth and all Cassie was worried about was making it out squeaky clean and with an intact conscience.

/end rant

-I guess summed up, up until the very end, it felt REAL.  No punches held, no fluffy good feelings, it was just realistic, and I think it did the series such a good service to do that.  It would have been a real cop-out to write a series that really explored the deep, dark corners of war and then had an ending where everything was glitter and happy.  I think its really especially important in these days, when there are people who are coming home from war damaged and hurt.

Now, for the things I HATED.

-To sum it up, the ending with Ax alone almost made me burn the book.  I'll admit Ax was my favorite character, but this was a total cop-out.  I'm cool with sad endings (see above) but there was NO closure for this.  He didn't get a heroic ending, he didn't even get an ending at all, he got a "omgwtfhappenedtoAX?"  Did they save him?  Did they not?  Did they live?  Did they get assimilated?  How the hell do you make a treaty without seeing the treaty writers?  All of the realism I got from reading about the humans just went out the window. Oh, and btw, WHAT HAPPENED TO AX?  He deserved such a better ending.  Hell, I would have rather seen him die when he blew up the Yeerk pool in "The Sacrifice."  At least then he would have had a heroic ending.  I mean, in the end the brother of Elfangor, who spent three years of his life on earth alone and sacrificed so much to help save it, got a two second quip about his getting a creepy smile and talking like a creep?

-The ending just ruined the closure for me.  At first I was ok with it, because I held out hope for a sequel and I was excited for it.  But a sequel never came.  It's like KAA took her kids, that everyone learned to love and grew up on, threw them out in the snow naked and went "SEE YA!"  It was the most disappointing ending I have ever read in a piece of literature.  This is just my opinion, but to have an ending like that, and have no intention of following up on it, was a huge slap in the face to her fans.  If she was going to do a sequel, it would have been the best ending ever, but she didn't, just left her fans out in the cold.

-Visser Three not dying was another huge deal breaker for me.  This dude ATE Ax's brother.  And Ax just sits there, holds him, and hands him over for a pansy war trial?  Dude...talk about cutting off a boy's tail, Elfangor deserved his revenge, and Ax deserved to not have to go home without avenging his brother.  And I didn't feel the whole "fate worse than death" thing.  It had no satisfaction factor for me.

-Oh, btw...a war crimes trial?  For aliens?  That tried to enslave us parasitically? And the rest of the universe?   Mmmmhmm.  Yep.  Sure.  I'm pretty sure the cacophony of simultaneous, sudden Andalite thought-speak laughter would have exploded all the brains of all the humans in the world three times over when Cassie tried to pitch that one to them.  And we would have deserved it.

-As for the fanfic thing...I don't really buy it.  I will admit, the ending has spawned a billion and a half plot bunnies of my own, but not everybody writes fanfic.  And not everyone values fanfic as a genuine art.  (Not saying I don't, I do.)  And even if you are a fanfic fan, all the fanfic fountain is going to do is give a billion possibilities, not offer closure to the fans.  At the end of the day, if you are a GOOD fanfic writer, Cannon is the bible, and in the end the bible said "HAHA SCREW YOU!"

So, overall, the beginning of the book was excellent, but the ending of the book was a deal breaker.  The book really was the ultimate disappointment to me, which is really huge considering how big of a fan I was.  Her fanbase deserved better.  Honestly, when I read the other books, I just pretend in my head that book never happened.  It's stored in the "DNE" imagination section of my brain.  (does not exist)

(Obviously, just my opinion.)

Offline Darth Zakryn

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 11:17:17 PM »

Soooooo true, Noelle. I really wanted Visser Three dead too, not for those he killed, but for those he killed in particularly gruesome ways and mutilated for life, like hacking off limbs.

Offline Noelle

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • *Insert random text*
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 11:20:39 PM »
Well, at the very least, I am glad Alloran got free, though I kind of wish that we got to see a reunion between him an Jahar.  But I mean, come on, at least let Ax stomp on the Yeerk or something.  Geez.