Author Topic: Was the Council wrong in "Visser"?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Azguard

• God
Re: Was the Council wrong in "Visser"?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 02:21:17 PM »
yeah, we need an Animorph's EU.

Anyway, yeah, natural resources may be good. we never really know how many Andalites there really are (I'm thinking it would be low because it usually is when you look at geographical graphs of high tech or advanced populations) and how many conflicts they were fighting. They might have been fighting several.

Aside from natural resources, maybe the Anati had some special abilities that made them useful to the Yeerks (sorta like the psychic ability for the Leerans). Maybe it was hardened armored carapaces, or natural camo/cloak skins.
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?

Offline Gumby

• Reginald, Lord of The Abyss.
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to where it all began
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 01:19:48 AM »
I think the Council, or the Emperor at least, was like Hitler. He didn't care how good his commanders were, he sacked and hired them at will, or even took charge himself. That's just an idea though..
"Now I can't speak for everyone; at least not until 'The Device' is completed."

- Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw

Offline JFalcon

• I need to get out more . . .
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 09:13:30 AM »
Perhaps, especially if he/she/it were commanding a failing empire (they collapsed shortly after Anati and Earth) fighting a losing war (they got their butts kicked at Earth and Anati) the stress and worry could have made him less stable.
"I would be a ghost of this dynasty before I'd be a general of rebels and traitors!" ~ Pang De, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

"My brain! My brain! Me hurty to think!" ~ Zim, Invader Zim

"Fight it off? You must have me confused with someone who's brave." ~ Church, Red vs Blue

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 03:35:13 PM »
well it's been awhile since I read it (over 10 years) but I think that one guy on the council liked visser 1 and knew or suspected that she had some sort of conflict of interest at earth.  He knew hat if she were to remaine there it would possibly undermine their efforts.

As far as tactics go, the OIC isn't really that involved in the tactics, that's operations' job, there's just too much for the commander to do to plan everything on her own.  she could have been an amazing leader but a lack luster tactician, like Washington, or she could be an amazing tactician and we just might not have known about it.

As far as Visser 3's invasion of earth goes (I have to admit, I never read past somewhere in the upper 30s in the series, stumbled on this place and started rereading them as ebooks), we, or I, don't really know how well it was actually going at this point.  The animorphs had hurt them, but without actually knowing how strong they were overall we don't know if it was that significant.  we know they devoted a lot of resources to fighting the animorphs, but they were the only resistance around.  Maybe despite the setbacks, they were still making good progress.

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 05:39:08 PM »
Well, if V1 doesn't have any great tactical skill that we don't know about, then the OP's argument that V3 should have handled the Anati invasion and V1 the Earth infestation is a very good one. Explanations like that she did display some high space-battle tactical skills throughout her career but not narrated in Visser is also possible.

In any case, I would say 'mistake' or not, that she was successful with in preparing the battle in the Anati system but betrayed by the counsel. The  sentence of to both her and V3 of "Death by Kandrana, but you can earn a pardon by performing well" allows them to still be useful to the counsel, but allows the counsel to dispose of them anytime they are no longer useful (or more potentially dangerous than useful). V1 wondered whether Garoff (her mentor) acting as the speaker for the counsel would be good or bad for her, possibly because Garoff knew her level of ambition well; so stringing her along just as long as she was useful then using the criminal excuse to get rid of her as a threat.

So the scenario in my mind:

The counsel passed its judgment at the end of Visser. This got V1 into the Anati system, where she devised the attack on the Anati homeworld which involved laying a brilliant hidden trap of Dracon cannons amid the asteroid fields, so that should the Andalites come to the Anati aid, they would be wiped out in an ambush (maybe it wasn't that brilliant of a plan and anyone else leading the battle could have done it just as easily, in which cause V1 was sent there just to provide more authority and get her considerable personal troops and ships into the area).

Then, someone among the counsel (Garoff? The Emperor?) or the counsel as a whole betrayed her, deciding to carry out the Kandrana starvation even though she had set up a good battle plan and clever ambush. A further sign that this was a personal, malicious act is that rather than having the starvation carried out in the Anati system where V1 already was, or bringing her before the counsel to execute her before her superiors, they bring her before not only someone inferior to her rank but her personal enemy to make the execution personally humiliating.

We know that it wasn't an actual failure in the Anati system on V1's part (which is what Taylor seemed to believe in #42, The Test) that caused her to be executed, because in #46, The Deception, when the Animorphs contact the Andalite fleet they have information from Marco's mom that V1 had set up the ambush and that the Andalites would be wiped out if they got caught in the trap.

The irony is that if V1 set up a battle plan and ambush that would have been successful, then was removed from power and sentenced to execution by the counsel, then the counsel inadvertently provided the Animorphs with the info from Marco's mom to save the Andalites from the ambush.
If your attack is going well, you have walked into an ambush.