Author Topic: Memoirs of a RAFian  (Read 593551 times)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
Re: Memoirs of a RAFian
« Reply #3540 on: August 06, 2014, 08:22:26 AM »
Perhaps, Saffa. Perhaps.

New chapter.

CHAPTER TWELVE:
Well, THAT'S New

"Wait -- what are those lights on their foreheads?" Sakura said, noticing the Mech Corrupturas.

"I dunno, but I'm gonna make sure that they don't get this card!" Lee said, quickly releasing Sakki from her card prison.

"How dare you." one of the brutish thugs said. The way he said it sounded almost robotic.

"Return it back into a card." the second one said. His tone and inflection was the same robotic tone.

"Do it now." the last one said, tone and inflection was the same as the other two, as if emotion had been bleached and leeched out of there voices.

"Wha . . . what happened?" Sakki was saying woozily. "Where . . . am I?"

"Lee, you just complicated things!" Taylor admonished the boy. "Ugh! Boys! You never think these things through!"

"Do you have a better idea then, Hawking?" Lee argued.

Before their bickering could reach critical mass, Sakura said, "Give it a rest, you two! We have more important things to focus on here!"

"Give us your cards. Resistance is futile."

They were sounding slightly Borg-ish right now. Especially since Harry, Benji, and Paul did not know what "futile" meant. Seriously.

"Hello, I'd like some answers please." Sakki said, with all of her VOCAROID charm. After a few beats of her being ignored, she said, "I'm not going to be all nice and cordial for very much longer."

"Give us your cards."

"And, by the way, that's getting somewhat annoying." the lone RAFian said to the mind controlled Harry, Benji, and Paul. There appeared to be a pseudo-roboticization process going on in them.

Lee saw them inadvertently show the two cards that they have collected, with an almost mechanical twist of their bodies. Lee, being the recklessly tween that he was, took this moment to release Underseen and Ash from their cards. This could have caused them serious injury had they not been shapeshifters.

Sakki stared at the three cardcaptors, easily piecing two and two together. Then she happened to glance over at Harry, Benji and Paul and her eyes widened with horror. She saw the unmistakable signs of roboticization. There was nothing "pseudo" about it. But what really disturbed her was the process seemed slow and agonizing. The roboticization from her time was over with fast, but this . . . this seemed designed to torture. Designed to heighten the pain of going from organic flesh to mechanics and steel plating. With the Corrupturas becoming like some sort of credt, like the thing on Magneto's helmet.

Who could ha e designed such at thing?

"What's happening to them?" Taylor said, aghast, noticing the roboticization for the first time.

"Something we can't help," Sakki said, taking charge. "We need to get away and regroup. Did you release any more RAFians from those card things? Assuming there were more, of course."

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3541 on: August 06, 2014, 10:36:25 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:
Repercussions of Renewed Roboticization

"You're sure?" Shadow asked urgently.

"I was there," Sakki said. "But you weren't the first time. How do you even know about roboticization?"

"I've read my uncle's memoirs," Shadow said, quickly adding, "besides you don't honestly think that roboticization is localized and unique to this realm, do you? No, Malice lifted the tech from another realm and used it here.

"Excuse me for interrupting," Sakura said, respectfully, "but what is roboticization?"

Shadow explained wearily, "Roboticization is the process by which an organic creature is converted into a robotic being. This is usually accomplished by a Roboticizer, though other species such as the Bem, are able to roboticize through other means. They typically lose their free will, becoming almost mindless automatons."

"So those things on their foreheads," Lee said. "They were Roboticizers?"

"They must be advanced forms," Underseen said thoughtfully. "The Roboticizers Malice used in our time was significantly larger. Like cyrogenic capsule tubes."

Shadow sighed heavily, "And I never thought to save the Deroboticizer schematics. The forum is now mere ruins that is really nothing more than a tourist trap more than anything else."

"Well, Goom, Yarin and I -- before were, ah, carded, were thinking how unreliable just having a Deroboticizer was." Aquilai explained, with movements akin to the Tenth Doctor. "A Deroboticizer will only work after the subject is Roboticized and stripped of their free will, therefore all the more harder to Deroboticize. Especially when one also considers the utter devotion and sheer mindless loyalty they give to the one who Roboticizes them."

"Cut the preamble, Aquilai," Faerie said, "get to the point."

"A Neuro-Overrider," Goom said. "A device that allows a victim of Roboticization to keep their minds, their wills, their loyalties, in tact. A small computer chip would do."

"Not if it fell off," Lee interjected. "Unless you're talking about an implant."

"What if they use that software they had on the news? About the subliminal message scandal in the goggle games?" Sakura asked.

"Brain Burn Thru or something?" Taylor shrugged.

"Hmmmm . . . interesting," Aquilai said. But it was as if he was considering a tangent that the others weren't privy to. "In any case, I think Goom and I can work around that. Just give use a couple of hours."

"We don't have the luxury of hours." Sakki said.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3542 on: August 06, 2014, 11:21:29 AM »
"I've read my uncle's memoirs"

;)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3543 on: August 06, 2014, 08:11:01 PM »
Yes, ;), and I'm going fairly "off-script" again for this book.

New chapter.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
A House of Cards Divided

Malice was furious that her new slaves failed to bring home even one card. But then she appraised how the roboticization process was coming along, appraising it. These three were her test subjects, as there were currently only three Mech Corrupturas in existence. Malice had decided long ago that that's were all her previous schemes weaknesses laid. She just did not test them thoroughly enough.

It was also evident in her taking this inferior human body. She was rash, and thought it.would serve her purposes. And it had, for the most part. But, assuming she was now bound to this body, it meant she was now bound to this realm. She was inside a human, after all, and not a Realm Walker (which was impossible, as far as she knew). She tried not to dwell on that fact, as it was an unpleasant reminder of her impetuousness. She didn't seem aware of the possibilies that this could have present to her, and it was good that she remain ignorant.

She continued to appraise the Roboticization process, as she still groused about the cards. "Yes. Yes, you three are coming along quite nicely. I probably should look into crafting more, once I procure enough parts again."

She finished her overly-thorough test, and dismissed the three as they painfully continued to translate their flesh and skin into circuitry and metal casing. Malice was as indifferent as ever to their pain, as it was only pain that was incurred upon her that she took any concern of.

Then she stepped up to an overly elaborate computer console -- one might think that she was over-compensating for something -- and watched as little black beads shivered and shook in a semi-transparent bucket that was plugged into the machine. On the machine seemed to be what appeared to be a slot akin to the slot you slide dollar bills into on a vending machine.

She reached into her pocket and pulled out the cards. Estelore, Phoenix AniDragon, Kelly, and . . . Cloak. She smiled a bit at a thought, a temptation, rolled through her sinister mind, but she evidently decided against it, pocketing Cloak's card once more.

The others weren't as lucky. Malice fawned and gushed over the cards a bit. "Kelly, their white mage. Phoenix, Richard's spiritual second. AniDragon, their power-binder. And Estelore, the star. Their main powerhouse. And this other five. All in my hands now."

She let out the obligatory evil villainess laugh before continuing, caressing the tub of those bug-like pixel things. "That fool Tabuu did not use these to their full potential. They'll make my new Roboticized slaves look like nothing. Good thing that I still had some in stock, and that I can think in my feet!"

She began to slide card after card into the machine, which processed them.

"They aren't the only ones that can revive RAFians!"
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:19:00 PM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3544 on: August 06, 2014, 10:47:55 PM »
Wait, WHAT?

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3545 on: August 07, 2014, 06:55:48 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER FIFTEEN:
True Moods, False Hoods

"This time," Shadow said, as a couple more cards revealed themselves, "I go with you myself."

"But . . . you're so old." Lee said bluntly.

"Little boy, you have not yet seen the true scope of my power." Shadow said reproachfully. "I do not have the power to revive and save the RAFians from their card form, or else this wouldn't even be an issue right now, but I do have other skills."

"You can mechbend." Aquilai said shrewdly.

Shadow hesitated, but then replied. "Yes."

"What is mechbend?" Sakura asked politely.

"It's the mechanical version of bloodbending," Shadow said, quickly, with a wince. She did not think any higher of the ability than her uncle.

"What's --"

"The hydrokinetic ability to manipulate the water within a living organism," Shadow said, anticipating the question. "Let's get going."

Malice appraised these new False RAFians. They looked, physiologically and fashion-wise, identical to the nine RAFians that Malice had fed their cards into the machine.

These False RAFians had a shadowy, purplish-black haze around them with disconcerting glowing yellow eyes that was, in some aspects, similar to Anti-Sora. As their names suggest, these were not the real, the true RAFians. They were just composed of the Shadow Bugs, which were just small, glowing violet orbs that behaved in a rather insectoid way. They actually behaved rather like the Nesk, only without any sentience or will of their own.

Well . . . maybe except for one anomaly. But Malice would make sure absolute loyalty and devotion from these creatures of an unknown primordial substance, like Mauler. Who she discarded immediately after his usefulness to her had ended.

"My enforcers are ready!" Malice said, in a manner irresistibly reminiscent of Zira. "Stooges! In here, now!"

The three bullies entered, the Robotization process almost complete. Malice actually took pleasure in seeing out painful it was for them. She delighted in this depravity of hers, in her sadomasochism, or whatever the proper term is.

"This time you three shan't fail me again." Malice said, dressing them down. But the three no longer had any minds of their own, other than the part that still felt pain. "These nine False RAFians will be your protection. Bring me more cards. NOW!!"

(January 7, 2020)

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3546 on: August 07, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »
This book is full of foreshadowing.

New chapter.

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:
What's All This, Now?

"Got it!" Lee said, holding an Asmo card. The other two had successfully nabbed a Demos card and a Donut card.

"Excellent," Shadow said. "You know what to do now."

The three were released from their card prisons, dazed and disoriented. Demos was the one that recovered first, as Shadow explained to the three of them what had happened, and before any of the three could reply, the neay-Roboticized trio interceded and interrupted.

"Give us your cards." they said in unison. Their voices were now robotic fully.

"Glad we didn't hesitate," Taylor commented.

"Give us your cards."

"These guys are like a broken record," Lee commented in a bored way.

"And I have had enough of it," Shadow said. She used what may have looked like a Force Push to the uninitiated, and the three toppled down from the ridge on which they stood.

"Looks an easy victory for the side of good!" Lee beamed.

Shadow scowled and wondered idly if she had ever been so woefully naive ar his age. When Malice was concerned, there was no such thing as an easy victory. Something else was at play here, and she scrutinized the area for it.

Then she saw them. The False RAFians. They were obviously not the real ones, what with those auras and those glowing eyes. Shadow remembered seeing something similar, but could not place it just yet. It was something she did with her uncle, all those many years ago.

The False RAFians did not speak, nor could pass for those whose forms they've taken. They do have access to their powers and abilities, which could make them dangerous, but not their memories, which made them useless as impostors and spies. Hence the use to which Malice used them.

One of them moved, and Shadow managed to catch a glimpse of a single detached Shadow Bug. Her eyes widened a bit with sudden recognition, as she whirled toward the False Esty. She plunged a hand formed of her own energy into the false star, and pulled out a card instead of a plum. With no template to give them form, the Shadow Bugs fell into a gelatinous mess. But soon started to form three Primids.

This was a much easier foe to deal with. But it was best not risking the Estelore card being taken again. She shouted for Lee to revive the card, aerokinetically throwing it to him. He obliged easily. This created quite a spectacle as Esty had to resume her capsulated, human form. Though it was in her "Warrior Esty" form.

The False RAFians did not seem deterred at this, and Shadow allowed herself a small smile. Malice's arrogance and lack of foresight have hurt her again. Her plan had backfired, and she didn't even realize it.

But, unfortunately, there was no False RAFian of her uncle.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3547 on: August 08, 2014, 12:53:09 AM »
So that's how they work.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3548 on: August 08, 2014, 07:06:44 AM »
Yep. New chapter.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:
Let's . . . Get . . . Dangerous!

Shadow cracked her knuckles, and addressed the False RAFians, "Okay, how do you guys wanna play this?"

"Uh, Shadow," Sakura said, hesitant and uncertain, "are you sure about this?"

"Just be ready to revive the RAFians immediately after you get the cards." she said, easily eliminating the Primids. "I'll try to make this quick."

From that point, Shadow stepped into action with speed, agility and strength of a simian Realm Walker a quarter her age. She formed a ball of wind between her hands, while eluding and evading the False RAFians attacks, and compressed it into a highly dense disc of air, then sent it out and it sliced through the False Guy and AniDragon, and Shadow drew the undamaged cards toward herself aerokinetically. Then she sent them to the cardcaptors without so much as a second glance, trusting them to go ahead and revive them, which they did.

False Horse launched a volley of water whips which Shadow not only deflected, but with a rather elegant technique, redirected them back at the False RAFian. This distracted it enough that Shadow easily came and ripped the card out of it and easily eradicated the Primids that spawned from the previous False RAFian. She threw the Horse card to Sakura, who released Horse.

False Dino charged, but Shadow blocked that attack with a wall of earth, and then caused False Dino's legs to sink into the ground, making its mobility effectively nil. Shadow was somewhat disappointed as she wrenched the Dino card from within the False Dino, and gave it to Lee to release her. Then she easily crushed the forming Giant Primid terrakinetically.

False Phoenix attempted to fire Shadow, but she wasn't having any of that. She shot her own preemptive pyrokinetic attack, having none of the weariness that her uncle did with the element. Also, unlike her uncle,  Shadow did not really favor one element over another. Anyway, the False Phoenix was distracted, but not injured as it could mimic Phoenix resistance to fire. But the distraction was enough. She plucked the card from it, and sent it Taylor's way. Phoenix was released shortly thereafter.

Shadow stamped her foot and a wooden spire ripped through False Gaz, causing her undamaged card to flutter harmlessly and aimlessly to the ground. But Taylor got to it first, and Gaz was released.

Then Shadow dropped a rather expensive looking car upon the noggins of False Saffa and False Kelly, easily procuring their cards, which led to their inevitable release. Shadow got any stragglers that she missed, and did away with all the Primids.

The task was done, though far easier than she had anticipated. She wondered if they weren't deliberately downgraded so that they couldn't overpower Malice. It was as if the False RAFians had only a mere tenth of the power the true RAFians held. And, despite herself, Shadow could not help but feel a.little gypped at this.

"Let's go back to the lair," Shadow said to the group assembled.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3549 on: August 08, 2014, 10:45:53 AM »
Dayum, Shadow is a badass. :D

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3550 on: August 09, 2014, 03:34:55 PM »
Yep. I'll probably finish this book sometime next week, as there are at least another two chapters to go (not counting this current one). Heck, I might finish it by tomorrow. But don't hold me to that.

New chapter.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
An Irate Call

They had returned and the newly released RAFians were being briefed about what happened. Shadow had her mind elsewhere, however. The False RAFians concerned her. Yes, they had gotten them back in the end, but who knows how many more cards Malice might procure? How many more False RAFians she would make?

Shadow hoped that she wouldn't have to resort to the deadlier forms of the elements. Bloodbending, breathbending, and such. She didn't even know if she could utilize them, and did not even want to try. She just knew that she could nullify them, when used on others from a third party.

"Well, what now?" Aquilai asked.

"Getting the rest of the cards back seem to be a priority," Phoenix said, uncomfortable with being seemingly thrusted back into a.leadership position. Shadow did not mind the assumption. Those that desire the burden of leadership, who are under the impression that it is simply just bossing people around, are either naive and childish, foolish, tyrants, or some combination of the aforementioned. "We cannot let them fall into Malice's hands. She may decide to destroy them instead of turning them into False RAFians."

"No, she won't," Shadow said. "If she destroyed them she would lose all leverage over us. If she kept them in tact, we would have to adjust our taftics accordingly."

The thread of the conversation was lost as the videophone picked up a call. Shadow did not need caller ID to know who it was.

"Whaddoyu want, Malice?" Shadow said, dryly, putting it on speakerphone.

"How. Dare. You." Malice was seething. "How dare you steal those cards from me!"

"I didn't steal anything, Malice." Shadow said, curtly. She seemed to be underreacting to this, which irritated Malice for some reason. "They were never yours to take in the first place."

"They were my property!"

"Property?" Saffa rankled. She wasn't the only one, but Shadow kept her cool.

"They weren't and they aren't," Shadow said. "Just stay out of our way, Malice. Don't.try to stop us from righting what you made go wrong."

"What makes you think you have the right to do this?! To speak to me in such a way?!"

"You want to speak of rights?" Shadow intoned. "What right did you have to turn the RAFians into cards in the first place? What right did you have bringing the Technarchy to Earth? What right did you have to sic dementors on RAF? What right did you have Roboticizing innocent Realm Dwellers? What right did you have bringing the Hate Plague and the Black Mercy here? What right did you have fusing people together with the Concoction? What right -- you know what, I could spend all day throwing counterarguments to that. And I shall speak to you in any way I please. You do not deserve, nor have earned my respect."

"But you've earned mine," Saffa said, quietly. Shadow could not surpress a smile, as she heard that.

"You forget, you impudent little Hatchling," Malice said, gnashing her host's teeth, hostilities well opened now. "I have leverage. I have your uncle's card."

Shadow said nothing, but attempted to calculate scenarios, plans, and schemes to wrest that card from her. But the truth of the matter was that Shadow was really growing weary of this whole back and forth.

"Fine. Then let's settle this on the field of battle." Shadow said. "You and me. No one else."

"No powers. None."

Shadow struggled to hide a smile. Malice misinterpreted this as an inner struggle with the decision. Malice could be painfully dimwitted at times.

"Deal. Back at the site of the last battle?"

"Agreed."

The call ended, and the other RAFians shouts overlapped each other. Shadow raised her hands in a nonverbal plea to calm down and let her speak.

"Phoenix, I need you to coordinate the other RAFians to collect the other cards." she said. Phoenix nodded, acknowledging this. Then he open his mouth to protest her fight with Malice. Shadow silenced him with a gentle raised hand. "I know your protests. But I can beat Malice in a fair fight without any elements, or my energy."

"Fair?!" Sakki shot. "Since when has Malice ever fought fair?!"

"May I continue with my thought, Sakki?" Shadow asked, pleasantly.

Sakki felt churlish and embarrassed, but nodded. Shadow continued, "I know she doesn't play fair. I'm well aware of it. But Malice has a habit of never thinking these things through. And she's seriously overlooked something important."

"What?" Gaz asked.

"All in due time, Gaz." Shadow said. "All in due time."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:38:30 PM by CloakedFigure »

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3551 on: August 10, 2014, 12:14:12 AM »
Whoa, I didn't even realize the book was nearing the end, it's been moving that fast.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3552 on: August 10, 2014, 05:55:17 AM »
New chapter.

CHAPTER NINETEEN:
The Strategy and the Cheater

At the battlefield, mist began to curl in around the site. Shadow stood in it, unperturbed. They sky was giving rather intimidating threats of a rainstorm coming soon. All on all, it was the perfect atmosphere for such a battle.

Shadow stood and waited. She had not only expected Malice to cheat on the agreement of no powers, she anticipated it. She had her strategy, the things that Malice tends to overlook and forget. Shadow could hear the first few plops of fat raindrops nearby. But they were of no consequence to her.

She heard a distinctive clanking, but "saw" through the seismic sense and feeling the minute air currents, that Malice was coming. And Shadow was right, she did not follow the spirit of the deal. She could also understand why Malice was so keen to get her to promise no power use.

As she appeared, Malice was wearing a suit of armor that looked rather less comfortable than Parker's, more stiff and immobile than RoboCop's, less agile than Iron Man's. It was all metal, full of cumbersome technology that would put Parker, Aquolai, Goom, and Yarin into a laughing fit for days on end.

"I didn't say anything about armor," Malice said, with all the satisfaction of a playground bully. As if this was a surprise, and like Shadow could "see" her from a long way off. Even the way she walked was rather like a duck waddle. Shadow almost shook her head in disbelief. Malice's mind must have gone through some fragmentation process or something. Even the most naive of children could see that this would really be no battle at all. "You lose."

Shadow said nothing, but easily saw that this armor was not mere body covering, but decked out with a full armaments. She was actually a bit disappointed that Malice could be this naive, she basically allowed Shadow to learn that Malice could not use any of hier Realm Walker energy, or was unwilling to. It was sadly pathetic.

"Die," she said. Shadow nimbly and easily dodged each blast. The weaponry was pitifully archaic, like the weapons that would be used during the first world war. And yet, Malice still overlooked the key limitation. Shadow maneuvered to the back of Malice without her notice. "Where are you? No powers remember!"

Really, why should Shadow have to live up to the rules when Malice could just break them? Well, bend them into contorting into ways they were not meant to be. But Shadow was confident her knowledge of Malice's fallacy.

Shadow launched herself --without any elemental or energy assistance, mind you -- at Malice and forced her to the ground, rolling her until she was face-up on the ground. Shadow began to walk away.

"Come back here! If you want your uncle's card, come back here and fight!"

"Oh, you mean this?" Shadow said, showing that she now had the card. "You have no leverage. Not anymore."

Instead of asking how, Malice became apoplectic with rage, yet unable to get up due to the clunkiness and weight of the armor. "Come back here! Come back here and DIIIIIIIIIIIIE!"

"Tempting, but no." Shadow said. "Besides, even without my mastery over the elements, you can't."

"You insolent -- !"

"You are a Realm Walker in mind, but not in body, Malice." Shadow said. "Only a Realm Walker can kill a Realm Walker."

Shadow walked away, as Malice fell silent with shock.

(January 7, 2020)

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #3553 on: August 10, 2014, 01:16:12 PM »
That is some scene. :D

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #3554 on: August 10, 2014, 04:26:31 PM »
 Yep. Last chapter of this book comin' up.

CHAPTER TWENTY:
Arise, Son of the Elements

"Taylor, it's up to you," Shadow said.

"Why me? Why me specifically?" she asked.

Shadow looked taken aback a little. The elderly Realm Walker had made an assumption that these three brave young people already knew.

"Why? Forgive me, but I thought it was obvious." Shadow said, modestly. "I thouht your weapons gave it away."

"Please, Ms. Shadow," Sakura said, politely, "please, explain."

"Lee, your sword resonates with the more, uh, "hands-on" RAFians, which means you would be the one to release them. Sakura, your staff resonantes with the ranged fighters, the "hands-off" RAFians. Taylor, your shield resonates with the more defensively-minded, pacifist RAFians."

"But if your uncle taught you," Sakura interjected, "wouldn't I be the one to --"

"It's a common mistake." Shadow said. "But I know him better. He has this much power, granted it took me about 176 more years than he to reach my current level of refinement. But my dear old uncle feared the extent of this power. He never used more than he had to. He was deathly afraid of losing control."

"Losing control?" Lee asked, arms folded in surly teenager sort of way.

"Powers such as ours are directly linked to our emotional state," Shadow explained. "If we lose control of our emotions we may very well lose control over our abilities. They may either consume us, or the planet. My uncle has plenty of fears, I see that now."

Shadow looked at Taylor, and the venerability of this old Realm Walker was softened into that of the eleven-year-old girl who just wanted to set things right all those years ago. "Taylor . . . please."

Taylor obliged, and Cloak was revived. He did not look as confused and disoriented as the others did. He looked at Shadow, unsure at first, but coukd see his beloved niece there, beneath the aged, wizen face.

"I always knew you'd do it, Shadow. I knew you'd find the way to make it all right in the end." he said, voice gentle and warm.

"How?" Shadow said, nonplussed at the praise she did not feel that she so rightly deserved. "How did you know? How could you have so muc faith me?"

"Simple, Shadow," Cloak said, with a smile and a shrug, "you were always a resourceful, if not mischievous, child. And I am most pleased to see that the years did not smother your inner light."

Shadow beamed, as the RAFians came in to report about 26% of the missing cards had been collected.

It took about five months to find all the cards and revive them all. Malice's plan had ultimately failed, and RAF was restored and the world once again knew them for what they were. Malice was never heard from again, though there were rumors that she still mucked around here and there. Her three stooges' Roboticization somehow was resistant to ordinary Derobotization methods, and they were interred in a hospital/autoshop until a cure could be found. No guardians could be located to be notified.

And while all this was happening, a card sat beneath a bush shaped like an elephant as it was pulled at by the wind and cold. It was the Rotiart card, and it was overlooked. Whether intentional or not was unclear. But he was never found and never revived. . . .

(January 7, 2020)