Author Topic: End of RAF  (Read 34290 times)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
Re: End of RAF
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2013, 09:56:54 PM »
Sorta, Abby.  (I was initially even tempted to tell you to put that comment in a spoiler, but then again I suppose I did title my fic "End of RAF"  :P)

Chapter Twenty-one

Terenia suddenly felt a jarring shift in her backpack.  It was lighter than it had been, just moments before.  She gasped sharply, and her eyes glazed over with sudden and overwhelming terror.

Desperately fearing what she already knew to be true, she frantically ripped off the backpack and yanked open the zipper.

"My Kandrona," she cried, a howl of anguish.  "Where is it?  Where is it?!"

Comprehension suddenly dawned on Myitt's face, and she quickly flung off her own backpack.  She rifled through it, but it was immediately obvious that her own Kandrona had vanished, too.

"Oh god oh god oh god," Terenia nearly sobbed.  "This is how it happens.  This is why."

"Calm down, please calm down," Dino reassured, with a subtle, twisted smile.  "The future is filled with Yeerks, right?  Where there are Yeerks, there is Kandrona.  You'll be okay."

Terenia nodded, but she still didn't look hopeful.  She choked down the lump in her throat, and said, "Yeah, I'll be okay."

"Okay, well, maybe we can still do something, about this," Aquilai was saying.  "If we can find out exactly when and where Katherine and Michael vanished, maybe there's still something we can do."

"Didn't you say that your TARDIS-" Seal began.

"Yes, yes, I know, I can't alter the past!" Aquilai interrupted harshly.  "But there might still be something.  We don't know how it happens.  So maybe there's still, I don't know, something we can still help to accomplish.  Some wiggle room, between the lines."

He punched the white button on his communicator.  "Hey, Goom, we need your help.  We need you to look up a news item for us.  We need to know a time and place."

There was no answer.  Only static.

"Goom?" Aquilai said, a little more insistently.  "Goom, come in."

"Now, Goom said our communicators would work between the real world and RAF, right?" Bear wondered worriedly.

"I know they do," Lumy said darkly.  "Goom called me while we were at the Cinnabon.  He asked how we were doing."

"Estrid?" Aquilai tried, still speaking into the Mark on his wrist.  But Estrid didn't answer, either.  The RAFians held their breath, waiting, but the silence hung heavy over everyone in the TARDIS.

"Blaze!  Tyler!  Blue!" Jess called out on her own communicator, her voice rising in pitch to a panicked cry.  "Somebody!  Anybody!"

"They're gone," Shock said simply.  "RAF is gone.  Without Animorphs, RAF does not exist."

"And without RAF, our Kandronas don't, either," Terenia whispered.  She turned to Aquilai.  "Can't you, I don't know, go back in time and do something to protect them before they disappear?"

Aquilai looked concerned, as the truth dawned on him.  "I think that's exactly what I was trying to do.  The future me, that we saw before.  It didn't work."

"Well, you've still gotta try, don't you?" Lumy wondered.  "After all, that's what you already did, isn't it?"

Aquilai hesitantly shook his head.  "That doesn't make sense, though.  I'm not an idiot.  I'm not going to risk crossing my own time stream to fix something that I already know can't be fixed."

"Guys!" Seal said.  "Let's focus on Katherine and Michael, right now, and maybe that will help Terenia and Myitt too.  Somehow.  Queen's kidnapped them.  We have to save them."

Aquilai nodded, and turned his attention to the pillar at the center of the TARDIS.  He pulled up something on the computer screen that was built into the control panel.  The screen's display was greyish white with black lettering, like a newspaper.  He breathed a heavy sigh, as he scanned through the articles, one by one.

While he was looking for the mention of Katherine and Michael's disappearance, Tony was rubbing his arms worriedly.  "The others, the other RAFians, the ones who were innerworlders . . . are they, what, dead?"

"No, they wouldn't be," Phoenix said.  "Without RAF, they would still have existed, right?  Just, without memory of the books.  Without memory of RAF itself.  They would be strangers to us."  His face twisted with worry, discomforted by the thought that their once-friends would no longer remember them at all.

"Why didn't their Marks protect them?" Bear said quietly, as if to himself.

"It was too much," Aquilai answered, not looking away from the screen.  He was no longer scrolling through articles, seeming to have found what he was looking for.  He finished reading, and turned his attention back to the other RAFians.  "The Marks only protect our own timelines.  They don't, they can't, really, protect from the deletion of an entire alternate universe.  They were overloaded, I suppose you could say.  Like why a word document won't stay saved, if your computer explodes."

"Wait," Terenia suddenly wondered.  "Why was your TARDIS protected, if our Kandronas weren't?"

"Part of my RAFsona," Aquilai said simply.  "It was protected because of my own Mark, because it counts as part of who I am as a RAFian.  Where'd you get the Kandronas?"

"From the Animorphs Board," Myitt said dejectedly.  Suddenly sorry that they had never taken the time to write their own.  Now, of course, it was too late.

Russell and Dino looked at each other, nodding, knowing that Aquilai's theory had to be right.  Russell still had his escafil device, after all.  And Dino still had her Sario Ripper.  Both objects were connected to their RAFsonas, like Aquilai's TARDIS was to him.

"So," Bear said, reading the article over Aquilai's shoulder.  "We gonna go rescue K.A. Applegate and Michael Grant, or what?"
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:13:51 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2013, 10:21:21 PM »
Do you still want me to put it in a spoiler? I can if you want.
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »
This is awesome.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2013, 10:38:08 PM »
Do you still want me to put it in a spoiler? I can if you want.

Nah, it's cool.  Like I said, it's the title of the fic that's the real spoiler there.  But, well, it's like Terenia's Kandrona situation, some things are scarier when you know what's coming.  *cackles gleefully*

Gah.  I'm getting to that point where I'm so sleep-deprived I'm getting twitchy.  Apparently my muse absolutely thrives on sleep deprivation?  Didn't know that until now.  Which is why you've been seeing three and four chapters a day from me, sometimes.  That has almost never happened to me before.  Don't know how Cloaky survives this much inspiration.

Good to know, muse!  But I need SLEEEEEP.

Muse: You sleep, and I am leaving!
Me: :(

Anyway, if my writing starts to get weirder ( . . . how?) now you'll at least know why that's happening.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2013, 11:28:24 PM »
It's a known fact our brains work like this:

Nighttime - What is my mission on Earth? What would happen in case of an apocalypse? How do I know where my future lies? What is the meaning of life?

Daytime - ... uh... how do you spell "house"?

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2013, 09:18:12 PM »
Too true, Saffa.  Which is why I have to keep a notebook next to my bed (and have gotten rather good at writing without being able to write in the dark).

Chapter Twenty-two

Queen smiled, a triumphant grin.  She didn't even seem to care, that she had lost her one captive RAFian.

She had done it.  She had, at last, figured out how the RAFians had crossed over from RAF.  She had put the pieces together, and she had realized that if she aimed for that moment when all the innerworlders had been drawn into their computers in the first place, then the Time Matrix would finally take her into RAF itself.

Which was why she could now stand atop a rocky hill, a bit of barren land that was surrounded by the dreary concrete walls of her own little fortress, and look down upon her own minions, here in the real world.  The Banned.  The Reverse RAFians.  They were training, now.  Fighting one another.  Preparing themselves, body and mind, to exact the full force of all their fury upon the RAFians who had once scorned them.

Arctix was about midway up the hill, idly watching his own cold blue flames play up and down his feathered arm while he took a break from the fighting.  Queen glared threateningly at the ice phoenix, and he sighed, slinking wearily back towards the mock battleground.  He was an arrogant one, Arctix.  He was of the opinion that they were already strong enough to defeat the RAFians.  He didn't see the point, of any further training.

However, like all the Reverse RAFians, he owed his life to Queen.  So he was at least grudgingly respectful to her wishes.

Yorick was standing atop the hill with Queen, to her right, one of only two that Queen allowed to remain idle.  Even Queen was forced to admit, Yorick was a handsome man.  Charming, even.  In the same way that a snake in human form would be charming.  He was a person who could get almost whatever he wanted, by choosing his words in just the right way.  Twisting and poisoning the minds of those he manipulated.  Telling just enough of the truth, to make them believe the lies.

Queen liked that.  Which was why it was Yorick, and not the hot-headed Chimi or militaristic Aloth, who enjoyed the rank of second-in-command.

The other person watching from above the battlefield, sitting just to Queen's left, was a boy, just barely a teenager.  He wore a grey-and-maroon hoodie, the hood up over his head to cover his pointed, black-tipped ears.  Hints of yellow fur streaked the backs of his hands.  His fingertips crackled with red-tinted electricity.

"I'm getting better at controlling it," he said, almost proudly, as he raptly watched the jagged lines of crimson static run up and down his hands.  "I think I'll be able to fire it, soon."

"That's wonderful, my dear," Queen said distractedly, but warmly.  Despite herself, she had developed earnest feelings for the boy, over the past year, as she had raised him.  He'd continued to grow at his strangely accelerated rate, already a 'teenager,' though technically only a year old.

He'd kept that wonderful instinct he'd had for chaos.  But now, with age, his wild nature had been tempered, channeled, controlled.  With age had come a sense of purpose.  No longer was it just meaningless chaos.  It was anger, beautiful and focused and pure.  Focused towards the RAFians who had abandoned him.  Twice.

He clenched his fists, as though sensing what Queen had been thinking about him.  A tiny bolt of red lightning suddenly burst from his knuckles, arcing to the ground.

"Hah!" he cried.  "That's it!  I just have to get angry."

Queen smiled, and gently mocked, "Then, what's been taking you so long?"

The boy glared at Queen.  Absolutely anybody else, would have been cruelly punished for so much as daring to look at her like that.  But Queen merely returned the hostility, reflecting the boy's expression back at him.  After a moment, however, her look softened, fading back into a warm smile.  Or, what passed for 'warm,' from Queen.

Yes, she was quite fond of the boy, who she could hardly help but to think of as her own son.  And he provided yet another reason to like Yorick.  For Yorick had been the one to coax this lovely child to Queen's side.

Technically, of course, there was also a third entity who was abstaining from battle.  But that one was not Queen's choice.  It was only because Loraest was far too powerful to actually engage any of the others.  No other Reverse RAFian was even close to being a match for them, so they simply watched the ongoing practice from a corner of the field.

Bored, Loraest idly practiced their own powers.  From their hands they generated pure darkness, a darkness so profound that it seemed to drain the light from the air around them.  A few windblown leaves were briefly drawn towards the black 'glow,' like cloth curving towards a vacuum, before swirling away again.

Queen turned her own attention back towards the ongoing 'battle.'  Tess seemed to have her hands full, with her duty of healing the other combatants, rushing back and forth from one skirmish to another.  Spino, in particular, did not seem to understand that the battles were fake.  The Ankylospinus, locked in battle with Cloud, all-too-eagerly ripped into the dragon's serpentine body with her oversized claws, making him cry out in pain.

"Not fair," Shock's Reverse complained as he drifted higher into the air, out of Spino's reach.  "Why do I always have to fight the dinosaur?"  He wove back and forth like a banner twisting in the wind, somehow staying aloft even without the aid of wings.

"Because you're the only other giant lizard," Queen called out dismissively, to which Cloud made a disgusted sound, unhappy at being called a 'lizard.'

Spino snapped angrily upward at Cloud, and Queen half-heartedly decided to favor the dragon a little.  "Bad girl!" she snapped at Spino.  "Bad!"  To her credit, Spino paused for a moment, seeming to almost understand the dire import of Queen's disfavor.

But then the Ankylospinus quickly shook her head, and looked at the dragon with hunger in her eyes.  In a low, almost animalistic thought-speak voice, she muttered, <Kill.>  That seemed to be the only word her fractured mind had managed to hold onto.  The only word she had ever spoken since her Reversal.

"Yes, yes, 'kill,'" Cloud said, exasperated.  "But not yet.  And not me.  Do you understand?"

There were nineteen of them.  Nineteen Reverse RAFians.  Taken from RAF immediately before Queen had destroyed the forum itself.  All the other Reverses, of course, had been destroyed along with the memories of the RAFians who had spawned them.

The funny thing was, it had turned out to be utter child's play to get the Reverse RAFians to remember what they really were.  To remember their time spent in the void, the 'infinite nothing' as Claw kept calling it.  See, they'd all had those memories, from the very start.  The knowledge had only been buried, hidden, under layers upon layers of memories overwritten by the RAFians as they had upgraded their own backup copies.

All of that forgotten time was still waiting, just under the surface.  Waiting to be revealed, their true selves exposed.

And all it had taken, in the end, was an abrupt shock to the psyche.  A sudden change.  Didn't even seem to matter what the change was.  All that mattered was that something in their minds was different, and that difference would set off a chain reaction that brought the much bigger differences bubbling back to the surface.

Ironic, that all they'd needed, was the very thing Queen had been going to do to them anyway.

They had all reacted differently, to that sudden knowledge of their own twisted selves.  Some went silent, some went insane.  Some tried to become something completely different, desperate to prove themselves as their own individuals.  A few stayed more-or-less the same as they had once been.  But they all now carried a hardened edge to their minds, a darkness that had never been there before.

Dalkorai had initially reacted to the sudden memories by exploding with rage and hatred.  As time went on, of course, he had learned control.  It turned out, somewhat to Queen's surprise, he was every bit as brilliant as his Time Lord counterpart.  But he had the added advantage of cold brutality, which focused his brilliance to a razor point.

He would find the Time Lord.  He would chase him across time and space.  And he would kill him.  And if the Time Lord regenerated, then Dalkorai would keep killing him.  Until it finally took.

Lumos, on the other hand, who had initially reacted by falling silent, was now considerably more vocal about his convictions.  "Repent thy foul ways, evil creature!" he shouted with unexpectedly real hatred, as his claws glowed brilliant white, slashing at 195.  He wasn't much better than Spino, it seemed, at differentiating between real battle and mock fights.  But 195 was a lot less inclined to complain about it than Cloud was.

Myitt's and Terenia's Reverses had opted to go by the last names of their own characters.  Myitt 195, and Terenia Rerin.  Something in both of their minds had been twisted until it broke, until they'd decided that they were actually the true Myitt and Terenia, the characters created by their RAFian counterparts.  Myitt, the Yeerk fighting as a rebel against the Empire, and Terenia, the once-human Andalite trapped as a Yeerk.

Rerin, of course, had no Mark to hold her own human form.  So she had taken a host.  A girl with long reddish hair, who looked at least vaguely similar to her own human form.  She fired a dracon shot at Lumos, on low power, just enough to remind him not to hurt her friend, 195.

Queen sighed, bored.  She turned away from the battle, giving the boy a pat on the head as she left.

She had more changes to make.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:20:10 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2013, 10:20:01 PM »
Chapter Twenty-three

The TARDIS landed outside an apartment building, in an alleyway between the apartment and the florist shop next door.  The place wasn't high-class, but it managed not to look run-down, either.  Just an ordinary apartment building, on an ordinary city block.

Weird, to think, that two such important people were living there.

Of course, the RAFians reminded themselves, Michael and Katherine were not important yet.  But, somehow, that fact just made the whole situation seem even weirder.

Switching to their human guises as they left the TARDIS, the RAFians quickly filed into the apartment building.  The lobby was a small, modest space, just a few chairs and a desk, no bigger than it needed to be.  "Hello," Lumy said to the man at the desk.  "We're looking for a Michael Grant and a Katherine Applegate.  They live here, right?"

The man typed at his keyboard.  "Room 4B," he said casually.  The RAFians smiled and nodded, doing their best to at least act calm, as they left the lobby into the apartment complex itself.

Rachel followed at a distance behind the others, as they filed up the stairs.  She was breathing hard, trying to fight down the unprovoked anger that was inexplicably simmering in the back of her thoughts.

She didn't even fully understand why she was angry.  At the thought that she had been created?  At being a fictional character in a book that had never even been written?  It didn't really make sense.  But she had already made up her mind that she would not allow herself to be pushed around by her supposed 'creators.'  No.  She didn't owe either of them anything.

She crossed her arms to hide her anxiousness, as the crowd of RAFians approached the door to 4B.

Phoenix knocked.

"Yes, who is it?" came the curious reply.  A male voice.  There was only one person that could be.

There was some excited murmuring.  Nobody seemed able to calm down enough to give Michael a straight answer to his question.  They were far too preoccupied with the way their minds were spinning, all the reasons why they were here, and what it all meant.

After a moment, a perplexed face appeared in the door.  His eyes widened as he saw the size of the crowd.  "Who are you people?" Michael Grant wondered, looking around at the RAFians.  He raised an eyebrow.  "My birthday's about four months away, and I don't know who told you otherwise."

"No, no, that's not why we're here at all," Phoenix finally said.  He, unlike most of the others, had actually met Michael Grant before.  "Look, I'm going to just cut right to the chase, here.  Please, don't be afraid."

He pressed the blue button on his Mark.  Reddish orange feathers appeared on his arms.  He pressed the button again, and the feathers disappeared.  "We aren't exactly human, you might say.  But, we're the good guys.  And I'm afraid you're in terrible danger."

Michael stared worriedly at Phoenix, part of his mind afraid, and another part wondering if this was all some kind of trick.  "Why are you here?  What danger am I in?"

A woman had appeared in the door next to Michael, to see what all the fuss was about.  A few RAFians let out little noises of delight to see her.  K.A. Applegate, in the flesh.  The writer of the series that had started it all.

"We don't really have a lot of time to explain," Bear quickly commented.  Doing his best to remind himself that this was a serious situation, deadly serious, and so he should really stop grinning like an idiot.  But, come on, this was K.A. Applegate.  "You're going to write a book series.  You haven't yet, of course.  But we're all really big fans."  Bear paused for a moment, feeling like he was forgetting to mention something.  "Oh, from the future.  That's probably an important detail."

"You're from the future?" Katherine wondered softly.  She seemed intimidated by the sudden appearance of so many people on her doorstep.  "What's going to happen?"

"Nothing good," Terenia commented darkly.  "You've got to come with-"

She was cut off, by a sudden crash just a few yards away.  Something heavy, or perhaps more than one something, had just landed somewhere, out of sight, around the corner.

Within seconds, the first Hork-bajir appeared, followed by another, and another, several more quickly rounding the corner after the first.

"Nevermind, you have to hide!" Terenia screeched, shoving Michael and Katherine back into their own apartment.  It was a dead end, but there was no choice, it was the only way that wasn't cut off.

The other RAFians immediately shifted into their RAFsonas, ready to defend their heroes.  Dino had thankfully had the foresight to shrink into her smaller form back when she was still in the TARDIS, so that when she changed from human to dinosaur, she could still fit into the hallway.

They split up, some RAFians following Katherine and Michael inside, to help them find a safe hiding place, while others charged towards the onrushing Hork-bajir, hoping to slow them down.

Amidst the sudden chaos, however, Tony spotted something.  Just the barest outline, a rounded sliver of white peeking from around the corner.

The Time Matrix!  It was here!

If Tony could just get to it, this could all be over, right now.

He took off, barreling forward, skidding dangerously close to the group of charging Hork-bajir as he passed by them.  Fortunately, they didn't expect anyone, let alone a human, to be running directly at them, so they were momentarily too confused to react.  And by the time they'd realized what had just happened, Tony was already where he wanted to be.

He could see her now.  Her.  There was nobody else it could be.  A black woman, with that unmistakable broken visage of a fictional program.  Her layered images made all the more surreal by the cracked pattern in her face.  And her disjointed eyes, one green, and one silver.

Tony barely had time to take it all in, however, because he was now running full-tilt towards the woman.  "Aaaaahhhh!" he yelled, a cry of equal parts terror and disbelief.

"Tony!" Seal cried out, having seen what he was doing.  "GO!  GO!  GO!"

Tony tackled Queen, at precisely the same instant that she triggered the Time Matrix.  In the blink of an eye, both of them had vanished.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »
Loving the action in these chapters! :D

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2013, 11:51:03 PM »
Chapter Twenty-four

The battle was furious.  The slashing and slicing Hork-bajir forcefully beat their way past the first defensive force of RAFians, the ones that had stationed themselves in the outer hallway.  No matter how the RAFians tried to hold them back, there were too many, and some would slip through.

Phoenix, Dino, Terenia and Lumy, meanwhile, had ushered Katherine into a closet, and Michael into a nearby bathroom.  In hopes that splitting them up would confuse the attackers looking for them.  A poor, pathetic plan, but it was all they had.

With the two authors as safe as they could hope to be, the battle raged.  As the Hork-bajir pressed ever inward, the battle spilled from the hallway outside, into the apartment itself.  One man, wearing a bath robe, heard the noise and peeked from an adjacent apartment, just before the battle disappeared completely through Michael and Katherine's doorway.  The man's eyes widened, and he very quickly decided to pretend he hadn't seen anything at all.

Rachel had gone grizzly, roaring and swinging her paws at the Hork-bajir.  Leaving deep gouges in the walls where she missed.  Lumy, fighting by her side, was teleporting back and forth, as rapidly as he knew how, spinning around confused Hork-bajir, as he kicked and punched.  The confined space made his work easier for him, as the Hork-bajir had less room to turn around every time he teleported.

Seal had retreated to the kitchen, flinging spears of ice that drew blue-green blood with every successful strike, desperately trying to round off the few Hork-bajir who had already made it that far into the apartment.  She suddenly leapt up to turn the sink on, the running water making her stronger, enabling her to create bigger and bigger frozen spears.  She winced, though, as one missed, and smashed a giant hole in Michael and Katherine's refrigerator.

But the RAFians were still being forced inexorably backward.  It wasn't the numbers, so much as the determination.  These Hork-bajir knew what they wanted, and they didn't even seem to care how many of their own had to die before they got there.

Gaz, Shock, and Noelle were 'guarding' the living room.  Trying to make it seem as though the RAFians were concealing the authors there.  The ruse was working.  The Hork-bajir were drawn in, sensing that they were close to their prey.

Shock roared, cramped in the confined space, his tail painfully pressed against his body by the walls around him, unable to spread his wings.  His hollow bones allowed him to take his dragon form without collapsing the floor beneath him, but only just.  As he edged towards an encroaching Hork-bajir, his hind foot crushed a chair, reducing it to splinters under his talon-like claws.

The other RAFians quickly caught onto what the three of them were trying to do, and others drew inwards toward the living room, to join the quickly escalating conflict.  Saffa struggled for maneuverability in the dead air, barely avoiding the slicing blades as she swooped and dived.  Phoenix gave her some cover, distracting the Hork-bajir while she circled back around for another pass.  Russell came galloping, leaping gracefully over the remains of the chair that Shock had destroyed, circling around to face the onrushing Hork-bajir.

Dino, from her vantage point at the edge of the living room, at the corner where it connected with the apartment's inner hallway, noticed a Hork-bajir silently peeling away from the battle.

He walked resolutely, with definite purpose.  Like a shark smelling blood.  He was headed for the closet where Katherine had hid.

Nobody else had noticed.  Nobody else could stop him.  Nobody except Dino.

Yet, for some reason, she simply stood there, as though in shock at what was happening.  She wanted to move, but she could not command her muscles to obey.  Adrenaline was causing the scene to play out in slow motion, as though taunting her with her own hesitation.

It probably wasn't as long as it felt, she would later tell herself.  She hadn't had nearly as much time, as it would feel like.  Because it would feel like hours, when she recalled this moment in her memories.  Yet, rationally, she knew, it couldn't have been more than seconds.

There'd been no time to react, after all.  There was nothing she could have done.

Was there?

Once the Hork-bajir reached the closet, it was all over.  He used his blades like battering rams, almost instantly reducing the door to splinters.  The wood caved in on itself, violently fragmenting into pointed shards.  There was a scream, but it was cut short, as blood seeped through the cracks in the door.

The Hork-bajir pulled away the shattered boards, a piece at a time.  Revealing Katherine, slumped against the back wall of the closet.  Her eyes were open, but lifeless.  Shards of wood sticking out of her body like knives.

There was no question.  She was dead.

Michael suddenly raced out into the hallway, having heard his wife's scream.  But too late.  He looked back and forth from the Hork-bajir to the body of his wife, and howled a savage cry of anguish.  Blinded by sudden overwhelming rage, all reason gone, he barreled headlong towards the bladed monster.

It was Rachel who next appeared onto the scene, reaching out with a paw to hold Michael back.  <Stop,> she said simply, almost angrily.  <You aren't doing anyone any favors by getting yourself killed too.>

Rachel turned around, roared, and ran at the now retreating Hork-bajir, ramming him against a wall.  The life drained away from his eyes, just as Katherine's had.

But then Rachel glanced at Dino, who was still standing right where she'd been, the whole time.  Her grizzly features didn't convey much emotion, but, inside, she was furious.  Why had Dino done nothing to stop this?

Dino, finally returning to her senses, choked back an anguished sob, as she raced in panic from the hallway.  Gratefully returning to the chaos and violent fury of the battle.  She would take anything, anything at all, to distract her from that horrible image.  The image that would forever be seared into her mind.

<It's my fault,> she cried, wracked with guilt and pain.  <It's all my fault.>

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2013, 12:56:25 AM »
Bloody hell, you killed our Queen! How dare you! :P

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2013, 01:05:51 AM »
Hey, well, creative license!  Or something like that.

Chapter Twenty-five

Rose was surfing the internet on her day off.  Not really doing much of anything.  Just killing time.  Putting off her schoolwork.  Pretty much, a typical day off.  'A day like any other day,' that was always how adventure novels began, wasn't it?

She was just turning around, as she got up from the computer.  She was going to get herself a drink, that was all.

But, as it turned out, it was pure luck that she had looked at the spot she did, exactly when she did.  Otherwise she would not have seen the utterly impossible sight that she saw.

One second, nothing.  The next second, there was a man, soaking wet, hurtling sideways as though he'd been thrown, having simply appeared out of thin air.  He almost immediately lost his balance and rolled, crashing into the cabinet next to Rose's bed with a loud thud.

There'd been no sound, no flash of light.  Just, suddenly person.

Rose blinked, clearing the odd afterimage of a white circle from her eyes.  It was weird, but for just a split fraction of an instant, at the very moment the man had appeared, she thought she had seen that circle flash through her field of vision.

The man, who unlike the white circle was still there, right there in front of her disbelieving eyes, stood up unsteadily but abruptly.  His jerky movements unintentionally flung droplets of water on Rose, who was still sitting, frozen, in shocked silence at the bizarre spectacle before her.  He coughed violently several times, a wet cough, like he'd just inhaled water.

"ARGH!" the man suddenly cried out in frustration, as soon as he could finally form words through the coughing.  "I had her!  Damn it all, I had her!"  He swayed a little, obviously still disoriented.  "Oh, man.  Where am I?  When am I?"

He punched a button on a strange contraption on his wrist.  "Aquilai?  Hey, Aquilai, are you there?  I could use a ride."  He waited for a moment, and when he didn't get an answer, he sighed.  "Dang it, the Marks are synched up, so that means he's still in the battle."

" . . . Wait, what do you mean, 'when' are you?" Rose slowly asked, finally coming back to her senses.  "And what the heck just happened?  You weren't there, and then you were.  How is that even possible?"

The man laughed, a self-mocking laugh, as he held his forehead in his palm.  "Geez, I've completely forgotten how strange my life actually is.  I guess I must be immune to it by now.  Well, turns out, that's what happens when you fall off of a time machine!"

Rose nearly choked on her own spit.  "Time machine!?" she said incredulously.

"Yeah," he said, and for a moment he sounded almost like he was bragging.  "I was hanging onto a time machine.  Well, more accurately, I was hanging onto somebody else, who was hanging onto a time machine."  His features fell.  "If I could have just grabbed onto the time machine itself, I could have steered it.  But, no, I couldn't quite reach it."  He looked frustrated again, and added, "I had her, man.  I had her."

He closed his eyes and shook his head, still reeling and dizzy from whatever he had just gone through.  "She was really trying to throw me off, too.  I must've been through about a hundred different places and times in the past five seconds.  So forgive me if I'm a little . . . " he pantomimed his own disoriented wobbling.  "You know."

"No problem," Rose said.  She slowly got up to go fetch the stranger a towel, moving like she was in a dream.  When she returned, she tilted her head at him.  "Why are you soaking wet, anyway?"

"Oh, she just decided to drive her time machine into the ocean, that's all," the man said dismissively as he grabbed the towel and began to dry himself off.  "That was right before I lost my grip.  Suddenly being underwater without warning, will tend to do that to you."

"Uh huh," Rose said.  She shook her head dubiously, closing her eyes as she tried to organize her thoughts.  "This is all just way too weird, you know that, right?"

The man laughed again.  "Just another day in the life of a RAFian.  Oh, my name's Tony, by the way."

"Rose," Rose answered.  "Nice to meet you?"  Somehow, it seemed weird to be exchanging little formalities like that.  Seeing as this was hardly a normal meeting.

Oh, yeah, Rose thought sarcastically to herself.  That's the part that was weird.  People appearing out of nowhere, that was normal, but being polite to them?  Totally bizarre.

"Nice to meet you, too," Tony said, unfazed.  Then he seemed to remember something.  "Hey, my previous question still stands.  When and where am I?  A country and a year, at least, would be great."

"You're in India," Rose said, deciding there was no harm in humoring him.  She pointed at the calendar on her cabinet, which showed the date.

"Ah.  Present day.  Or at least close enough.  Hmm."  He looked at Rose, as though actually seeing her for the first time.  The wheels in his head were turning.  "You know, I know somebody, goes by Saffa.  She's from India.  And she has a sister named Rose."

Rose gasped.  She grabbed for Tony's arm.  "You know where Saffa is!?  She's been missing for months!"

But Tony shook her hand off, ignoring her outburst.  He seemed suddenly lost in his own thoughts.  "If I'm here, then that means Queen was here.  That's not coincidence.  That cannot possibly be coincidence.  That's a message."  His features slowly contorted with a look of fear, as a terrible truth seemed to dawn on him.  "Oh man.  She knows.  Oh my god, she knows."

"What message?" Rose asked worriedly.  "What does she know?"

"She knows where our families are," Tony said, his voice strangled with fear.  He looked at Rose with wide eyes.  It was as though he was looking at someone marked for death.  "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, but I believe you may be in terrible danger."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:07:58 AM by DinosaurNothlit »

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2013, 01:16:25 AM »
I only just realized:

Rose the idiot sister = Rose Tyler

And I hadn't even planned it that way, it was just close to her real name.

Mind=blown :P

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2013, 01:20:13 AM »
Haha. Dang. That's really bad that she knows where their families are... *shudders*
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2013, 11:20:17 AM »
Lol, Saffa.  Suuuuure you didn't do that on purpose.  ;)

Chapter Twenty-six

The battle was mostly over.  There were a few Hork-bajir still fighting, against those RAFians who were enraged enough over Katherine's death to drive them on.  Spurred into bloodlust by grief and anger.  But most of the attacking force had either died, or, having accomplished their goal, surrendered.

Because, it didn't matter that Michael was still alive.  Without Katherine, the books could never be written.  Queen had won.

Jess was moving steadily from RAFian to RAFian, healing the wounded.

"Come on, guys," Phoenix said mournfully, urging the remaining fighters to move on.  "They're done.  There's nothing more we can do here.  Nothing we can do right now can bring her back.  Come on, the police will probably show up soon."

Despondently, the RAFians left the ruined apartment.  They grouped together around Michael as they moved, a protective herd, just in case one of the surviving Hork-bajir decided to try something.

Michael had his head in his hands, still in shock.  He couldn't even begin to process it all.  An army of aliens wanted them both dead, over a stupid book series?  A book series that they hadn't even written, at that?

That's what his wife had died for?

It was stupid.  It was ridiculous.  It was completely unbelievable.  It couldn't be real.  No, no, it had to be a dream.  He would wake up and it would all be fine.

His feet took him outside the building, following along with the RAFians surrounding him, before he'd hardly even realized where he was going.  He barely blinked as he walked inside a police box which, impossibly, turned out to be bigger on the inside.

Dino shifted back to her larger size before returning to her human form.  Not knowing if the Mark would protect her from the two-hour time limit that she had to obey even with her limited morphing power.  But, not wanting to take chances.

Aquilai suddenly looked like he remembered something.  "Tony?  You okay?" he said into his communicator.

"It's about freaking time!" came the instantaneous reply.  Tony had obviously been waiting for the call.

"We've been a little busy," Aquilai said harshly.

"Well this is freaking important!" Tony shot back impatiently.  "It's bad, guys.  Queen knows.  She knows where our families are."

"What?" Seal said fearfully.  "How do you know?  And how much does she know?"

"She found Saffa's sister," Tony said.  Saffa choked back a gasp.  "And Saffa is even one of our newer members.  So, if she could hunt down the sister of some newbie, no offense, then chances are she's found others, too.  I think the only thing keeping them all safe, right now, is the fact that Queen doesn't know exactly where I fell off the Time Matrix."

There was a beat of silence as the RAFians took in the new development.  As if things weren't bad enough, now their families were in danger, too?

"We brought along a few extra Marks," Aquilai mentioned, as he began the process of pinpointing Tony's location from his TARDIS.  "But, not enough.  Not nearly enough to protect everybody."

"Can't we just, I don't know, load them all up into the TARDIS and take them with us?" Bear wondered nervously.  Not liking the prospect of abandoning his family to die.

Aquilai shook his head.  "Queen could still delete them from history, anyway.  All she'd have to do would be to go back to before we rescued them, or even interfere with their parents.  We'd have to rescue our entire bloodline."

Seal wobbled where she stood.  The adrenaline of battle was wearing off, and for some reason she felt sleepy.  It suddenly occurred to her that they'd been awake, on life or death missions, for a long time.  Hard to tell exactly how long, as they'd been skipping back and forth all over time itself.  But it was long enough that none of them should have still been awake.

It was weird.  The first time they'd actually needed to sleep in months.  And it couldn't have possibly come at a worse time.

Dino actually fell over when the TARDIS started moving, her foggy hearing nearly tuning out the characteristic sound it made, as it flew its way to India.  Once on the floor, she didn't really want to get up again, either.

They landed, and Aquilai quickly appeared with a blanket that he draped over Dino.  Tony and Rose stepped inside the TARDIS, where Aquilai met her and handed her a Mark.  He had two of them in his hands, and he gave the other to Michael, who didn't even seem aware of what he was doing as his hands fastened the Mark around his wrist.

Rose took hers distractedly and put it on, gaping up in wonder at the strange scene all around her.  "This is amazing," Rose said, but Tony glanced at Dino and then shushed his companion.

Tony let out a yawn, the sight of the sleeping Dino making him sleepy too.  He knew that they had an important mission ahead of them, life-or-death important.  But it was difficult to hold the importance of it in his mind.  He was just as tired as the others were.  Yeah, it could wait.  It could wait until tomorrow, couldn't it?

Michael and Rose, on the other hand, being from different, in this case quite literal 'time zones,' weren't sleepy at all.  They stood watch, one apathetic to it all, one marveling in wonder, as one by one the others found blankets and sleeping bags and drifted off here and there across the TARDIS.

Terenia and Myitt hesitated, not wanting to sleep, even though both were as tired as any of them.  They knew what this meant.  The first day was passing, slipping through their fingers.  They could almost hear the countdown ticking.  Just over two days left, to live.

Myitt didn't know what would happen, if her Yeerk self died.  Would the human die, too?  Or would it only be some kind of strange half-death?  Would parts of her memories be gone forever?  Would she become only half of herself?  It was impossible to know.

Either way, though, she knew it had to be better, than what Terenia was facing.  The irony was, if either of them could escape it, it was Myitt who could save herself.  Myitt could acquire the morphing technology and become a nothlit.  But, Terenia was already a nothlit.  She could not regain the morphing power, there was no such escape for her.  And Myitt was not about to save herself, and leave Terenia to die.

In a sleeping bag at the other end of the TARDIS, Rachel was feeling strangely restless, too.  Alarm bells were going off at the back of her mind.  There was something wrong.  Something very wrong.  But she wasn't quite sure, yet, what it was.  Just a feeling that she'd missed something important.  Something that just didn't quite add up.

She tried to shove it out of her mind, telling herself that she needed to rest.  She knew, tomorrow was going to be a rough day.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2013, 11:34:24 AM »
She's going to d-- ! ... okay, I'll shut up. ;D