Author Topic: Trials of a Mad Guitar Player  (Read 13278 times)

guitarhero01234

Re: Trials of a Mad Guitar Player
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 01:06:07 PM »
Jesus Christ, it's been forever since I updated this. Sorry, I've just had zero motivation to do . . . well, much of anything, honestly. I'm trying to take care of myself right now (and considering I went almost 3 days without eating last week, you can guess how well that's going), but I'll write another chapter if and when I feel up to it

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 05:17:15 PM »
Don't feel obligated. You're well-being is more important.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

guitarhero01234

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 01:00:21 AM »
Friggin' FINALLY, I post a new chapter.

Chapter 7

As gh entered the next room, he found it was very similar to the previous; barren, save for a portable CD player in the center. As expected, there was a door on the far side of the room with a number “3” etched into it.

After his first trial, gh was expecting something sadistic for the second. What exactly was going to happen if he pressed the play button? Were the sounds of Hell itself going to come from the CD player? Or even worse, Eiffel 65?

While gh was asking himself these questions, he couldn't help but wonder how the door unlocked after he completed his first test. Maybe Dimitri was watching from a hidden camera and unlocked the door remotely? But if that were the case, gh surely should have noticed a camera in his brief inspection of the room.

Putting all these questions aside, gh sat down on the floor next to the CD player. Whatever this is, it's gonna suck, he thought as his finger hovered over the “play” button.

To his surprise, what began to play wasn't some horrible abomination that offended his every sensibility as a musician and a human being. In fact, it started out quite . . . pleasant. Some soft piano chords and vocals, building into a grandiose crescendo, complete with cymbal swells and well-articulated keyboard arpeggios, all in the span of a couple minutes. gh even found himself nodding along to the beat of the song.

“Wow, this is actually pretty good-” gh started to say to himself before being cut off by an off-kilter transition into a section with obnoxiously screamed vocals.

“Oh . . . dear god, no,” gh said as he realized just what he was listening to. An album that he had listened to as a teenager and repressed all memories of, for fear of this band ever disappointing him ever again.

Colors.

As the album progressed into its second of eight tracks, gh found himself laying on the cold floor, practically immobilized by the album that he was listening to. How did Dimitri know about this album and the suffering that gh would experience while listening to it?

gh laid on the floor, paralyzed by the onslaught of bad metalcore, overly-technical musicianship with no soul, bad metalcore, poorly-executed segues into random genres that made no sense in context, and of course, bad metalcore. True, the album showed some promise in very brief sections, but gh knew not to get his hopes up for something good.

As the conclusive track, “White Walls,” neared the end of its fourteen-minute runtime, gh slowly picked himself up off the floor and walked toward the door. He wanted to escape the presence of that wretched album as fast as possible. But if this trial was so impossibly gut-wrenching, what fresh hell awaited him on the other side of the door?

No matter. As soon as the song’s final notes rang out, gh immediately turned the doorknob. As he started to swing the door open, a thought dawned on him that he hadn't even considered during his trial.

“Why didn't I just turn the volume all the way down!?”

Yeah, this chapter was just one big opportunity to talk **** about that album. I originally planned to pick on a Shinedown album in reference to Origin, but I decided to gonwith something that I'm actually remotely familiar with.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 06:55:33 AM »
Somehow, I can easily imagine you doing this. ;)

(January 7, 2020)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 12:21:24 PM »
Whoa, I just found out about this series (you can thank Cloak for referencing it in Memoirs), read the first three books in one sitting (and would have kept going had the moral of the third book not been "get some goddamn sleep you idiot"), and then immediately went to read this one this morning.  Awesome job, is what I'm saying.  :D  Can't wait to see what happens next.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:23:27 PM by DinosaurNothlit »

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »
Unfortunately -- and GH, sorry if I'm spoiling it for you to say yourself -- GH told me in a PM that he has lost motivation in this story. (I'll let him spell out the specifics.) So, this may be all we get.

As for the third one, where I assume the Armadillo Anderson persona appears, that will, I assure you, receive more development in Memoirs, which I'm actually considering not ending at #1,236.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:53:38 PM by Cloak »

(January 7, 2020)

guitarhero01234

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »
Thanks, Dino :) I appreciate the praise

And thanks to you too, Cloaky. I'm not gonna go into the specifics as to why this is on indefinite hiatus, but just know that the past couple weeks (well, the past month, really) have consisted of a series of bad luck, hard decisions, and intoxication to deal with the stress of said bad luck and hard decisions. Depending on how things pan out in Memoirs, I may pick this up again, but the ending may require a serious rewrite, depending on how Cloaky chooses to do things in Memoirs.

If anyone is really curious as to the main reason I put this on hold, check my sig and see if you can spot any difference. I'm sure you can figure it out.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »
Don't worry, we can always collaborate, like on the first few, whenever you feel up to it.

(January 7, 2020)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »
Sorry, I hope my comment didn't put pressure on you to write more.  Take care of yourself first, your well-being always comes before any other project.  I hope your fortune improves.  As for me, I am patient and have a good imagination.  Meaning that I can wait however long the next chapter may take, even if it's years from now, or, if you do decide to drop the story completely, I can try and figure out the rest.

And I completely understand about not having the motivation to write.  *looks at her own unfinished RAFfic that has been languishing for years now*

guitarhero01234

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 12:07:50 AM »
So, if anyone's still wondering why this is on indefinite hiatus (the main reason, at least), check the link below.

http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10444.msg930124#msg930124