Author Topic: Paragon Prince -- Ossanlin's Story  (Read 13138 times)

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
Paragon Prince -- Ossanlin's Story
« on: July 17, 2013, 02:49:31 PM »
Okay, so.  Most of you guys probably don't know me that well as I stick almost exclusively to the Animorph's RPG thread where I administrate the Rogue Element role-playing thread, and help mod the GESB role-playing thread.  But I have decided to make a serious attempt at writing out the "pre-roleplaying" portion of my primary character's history.

My primary character, the one I've been playing as since Kimmeree's Anichat (over ten years of role-playing history).  He's very well-developed and as much a part of my identity as my own sense of self.  Not that I get confused about who I am...  XD  I just mean that he's as organic as a character can get now.  He lives and grows through experiences and nearly writes himself into the RP's in which I participate.  Scottluminator has inspired me with his remarkable story-telling involving his character's history, so I figure it's time I take the time to actually write and flesh out the parts of Ossanlin's life that haven't been role-played.

Please be a little forgiving involving canon.  I haven't read the Animorphs series for over ten years, and I sometimes write without doing a lot of research.  I will be inventing a lot of details regarding the Andalites and some of their settlements, facilities, culture (what hasn't already been laid out by K.A.), military, government, etc.  I have already invented some new pieces of Andalite technology as well as the Mark III "Dreadnought-Class" Dome ship (the type that Lumy included in his chapter 8 ), new Andalite military ranks and belt-badge insignia for each rank, and bridge officer classifications/stations.  Descriptions of the new technology and links to the other things I've "invented" (including poorly-done drawings of the Mark III Dome Ship and Andalite belt-badge rank insignia) can be found here, if anyone is interested in looking.

I will probably include a little table of contents with this post (like Lumy did), when/if it becomes necessary.  I hope someone will find this interesting, but even if no one does, it helps me to develop the Andalite world into a larger reality in my own mind.  Thanks for looking/reading.   :)
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
Re: Paragon Prince -- Ossanlin's Story
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 03:02:15 PM »
[spoiler=Chapter One:  Validation]Ossanlin looked out over the impressive landscape of Cendorus, thoughts flitting through his head.  The Reflection Room had been built for the purposes of quiet contemplation, built up on top of the Academy, removed from the din below.  This room had always made Ossanlin feel a tad queasy merely for the height.  Of course, that was simply Andalite nature…heights and confined spaces…this room had both, though the architects had done their best to make it feel vast and open.  Ossanlin had gotten used to the unsettling feeling of this room.  His thoughts, however, were anything but serene.

Prince Raigar-Markovan-Erethul stood quietly behind him.  Decorated veteran, War-Prince, and an Academy Patron…and he’d just said something that no Andalite would dare say.  ‘Ossanlin…you do know that Yeerks aren’t all evil, don’t you?’

Of course that was true.  To demonize an entire species over the actions of a few was highly illogical.  It stood to reason that the Yeerks were just as diverse of thought as any other species.  The propaganda…the hatred…it was a tool the Electorate used to control the People.  Ossanlin had realized that long ago, even before he’d joined the Academy.  His father and mother had taught him the basis of that attitude, but to voice it was nearly suicidal.  And here was Prince Raigar whispering his opinion at the top of the Academy.  Was it a test?  Was Raigar merely stressing Ossanlin’s loyalties?  Or was he being genuine?  Suddenly Ossanlin was glad that they were alone in the Reflection Room.  What should he answer?  The wrong answer could end his career right then, before it even started.

<<I…am unsure of how to respond, Prince.>>  Ossanlin bowed his stalk eyes before speaking again.  <<I have…thought about this subject.  It is my opinion that it is entirely illogical to demonize an entire species because of the actions of a few.>>  Ossanlin nearly held his breath.  To utter such words, especially when it was contextually clear that they were spoken of Yeerks, was near blasphemy.

Raigar remained quiet for an interminable amount of time before speaking again.  <<Good, cadet.  I’m glad that you see through the propaganda.  So many of our people allow it to blind them, even to the point of illogic.  Please know that I have come to the same conclusion.>>

Ossanlin let out his breath and relaxed a bit.  So…that had been the right answer.  Or perhaps there hadn’t been a wrong answer, but Ossanlin was suddenly glad that he’d been honest.  His parents had taught him that an Andalite without honesty was an Andalite without honor.  He felt a twinge of regret as he realized that a small part of him had wanted to report the War-Prince as a Yeerk sympathizer.  He quashed that thought ruthlessly, allowing nothing of it to remain, and turned to face Raigar.  <<Why are you telling me this, Prince?>>

<<Because, Ossanlin…I believe it to be important.  You are skilled…very skilled.  I have little doubt that you will graduate from the Academy early and with honors.  I think you will be a very influential Andalite someday, and I’d hate to think that you’ve been blinded by the Electorate’s hate-mongering sermons.>>  Raigar trotted up to Ossanlin and laid a hand on the young cadet’s shoulder.  <<There are others out there, Ossanlin.  Others who have the strength and intelligence to see through the propaganda, despite the Electorate’s efforts to prevent that very realization.  You’re not alone.>>  Raigar nodded solemnly and then smiled before removing his hand.

Ossanlin nodded and bowed his upper half.  <<Thank you, Prince.  It is…comforting to hear that I am not the only one to think these thoughts.>>

Raigar nodded and stepped up to the force-shields looking out over the wide, mostly-flat landscape.  <<The important thing to remember, cadet, is that every person, whether that person is an Andalite, a Yeerk, or some other species, is an individual with his or her own thoughts, dreams, values, ethics, and ambitions.  There are some very bad Andalites out there, and I have no doubt that, conversely, there are some very good Yeerks as well.>>  Raigar turned from the windows to regard Ossanlin with his main eyes again.  <<Do not judge someone based upon what they are, but instead upon their actions.  Do not carry preconceptions.  Merely remember that you do not know a person until you have run a kilometer in his hoof-prints.>>

Ossanlin nodded.  <<Yes, Prince.  Thank you…I will think carefully upon your words.>>

Raigar nodded once and started trotting toward the elevator leading down from the Reflection Room and then pausing.  <<Cadet…I believe it goes without saying, but I feel that I should make it clear…you must keep these thoughts and opinions to yourself, at least for now.  Just as there are others who share our thoughts, there are yet others who would destroy us for them.>>

<<Yes, my Prince.>>  Ossanlin bowed again as Raigar descended on the lift.  He turned back toward the force-shields, looking out over the tightly-packed scoops of Cendorus.

Cendorus, the largest singular population center on the Homeworld.  Of course Andalites tended to keep to their open spaces, and indeed most commuted to reach this locus, but some things had demanded the relative discomfort of a crowded life.  The residential scoops were all flat on the ground, but spaced much more closely than nearly anywhere else on the planet.  Artificially-created strips of grass and streams cross-hatched the settlement, creating a traversable network that could also be used to feed.  Of course, the artificial grass didn’t ‘taste’ nearly so good as the fresh, natural grasses of the plains, and the water tasted recycled, but one had to make certain sacrifices to live in such a manner.  A few open parks broke up the grid.  They made it more bearable, but only by a little.

Off in the distance, Ossanlin could see the tall outlines of the Cyrenk shipyard.  The whole place was devoted to building Dome Ship pieces.  The mass accelerator drew a long, perfectly-straight line next to the shipyard, arcing up toward the sky at the end…it was the preferred method for moving Dome Ship parts into orbit, where they could then be further assembled in the Sky Garden.  The MAG rings drew a hovering, upward-arcing line into the sky, ready to supply powerful magnetic boosts to the space-bound equipment and personnel shuttles launched from the facility. 

There were other shipyards on the Homeworld, but most of them were devoted to building transport and fighter craft.  Cyrenk was a brand-new, state-of-the-art facility that had been designed specifically to build Dome Ships.  No one commented on the fact that a low-g planet or planetoid would’ve made a much better candidate for a shipyard, because one would then be forced to admit to the only logical reason for building the shipyard here on the Homeworld…the military wasn’t sure it would be able to effectively defend an off-planet shipyard.

By day, the Sky Garden was hidden by the diffraction of light in the atmosphere, but at night, the massive space-station and shipyard complex was visible from the ground to the naked eye…hovering in geosynchronous orbit.  Four wide plates branching out from a central sphere-shaped hub marked the Sky Garden’s four assembly yards, all connected to the worker living complex.  Bright bluish-white lights lined the entire station, making it clearly visible at night.

Several tall, curved, spire-like structures dotted the land of Cendorus as well, pointing straight up into the sky…orbit-defense Shredders.  The Yeerks shouldn’t be able to get anywhere near the Homeworld with the Alpha Line holding strong, not to mention the automated space defense grid built around the Homeworld System, but the towers seemed to give the People a sort of reassurance.  A sense of security.

Ossanlin made out the curved, graceful lines of Electorate Hall…seat of government for the entirety of the Andalite species.  The large, rounded, crystalline dome was tall, perhaps in defiance of Andalite nature.  Five diamond-shaped spires rose up around the dome, equally spaced.  Ossanlin couldn’t help but to sneer a bit at the sight of the building.  The Electorate…a pack of war-mongering, power-hungry, control-seeking bureaucrats.  The thought came much more easily to him now that Raigar had validated his opinion.

And the unremarkable buildings of Marin Lab…the very place where Escafil had developed the morphing technology years ago.  Ossanlin had no doubts that the unassuming structure held many more secrets in-potentia.  His father, Aran, worked at Marin Lab in one of the low-security sections, even so, he still never talked about his work.

His mother, Lyrian, was an Academy instructor.  Being estreen, she taught the first-year cadets the different facets of morphing technique, and how to control and use the natural instincts of morphs to advantage.

His parents both took shuttles to and from work every day from the Scirit plains.   Neither had been possessed of the desire to actually move into Cendorus-proper, but the lush, wide, grass-filled plains situated around the population center had been proximal enough.  Unfortunately, initiates of the Academy had no choice.  Ossanlin had been forced to live on the premises of the Academy in the heart of Cendorus since he’d first signed on.

Ossanlin shook his head…he needed to get away from himself for awhile.  He moved to the lift and descended back into the Academy proper.  Thought-speech voices echoed around him as Andalites of varying age discussed every topic under the suns from the most-recent tail-fighting tournament to the state of the war with the Yeerks.  He took one of the wide, central concourses out to the secondary exercise yard, noting the figure of his one and only friend, Siruvan, waiting near the doorway.

<Ossanlin, over here!>  Siruvan waved a hand and walked toward Ossanlin.

Ossanlin eye-smiled and nodded, walking up to his friend.  <Siruvan, well met!  Care for a sparring session?>

Siruvan grinned back in Andalite fashion.  <Most certainly!>

Siruvan was a good male.  Reasonably intelligent, and a talented engineer.  But his passion was tail-fighting, and unfortunately for him, he wasn’t terribly skilled at it.  Most of the students at the Academy tended to shy away from Ossanlin, most resenting his resounding successes.  Siruvan had actually sought Ossanlin out for personal tail-fighting lessons.  At the time, Ossanlin had read the desperation in Siruvan’s eyes and agreed.  Through the lessons, the two had become fast friends, and they often engaged in activities with each other now.

As they walked out into the yard, Siruvan spoke up.  <Ossanlin, are you alright?  You look unsettled.>

Ossanlin quickly mastered his features…he’d have to work on that.  A face could speak a thousand silent words that you didn’t want uttered.  He smiles and nods again.  <I am well, Siruvan…I was merely lost in thought.>

Siruvan’s expression said that he wasn’t convinced, but he didn’t press Ossanlin on the matter.  <Well, I’ve been working on some new techniques.  Many of the analysts say that Iskilion holds the most promise for the future of tail-fighting, so I’ve been practicing it.>

Ossanlin stopped and regarded his friend with a serious expression.  <Siruvan…Iskilion is a highly-advanced set of techniques.  Yes, it is difficult to overcome in a duel, but it is also incredibly difficult to master.  Iskilion can cause serious injuries to the wielder if he or she has not reached a suitable level of skill.>

Siruvan looked somewhat crestfallen and just a bit angry as he spoke.  <You use Iskilion.>

<Only because I’ve been training nearly since my birth.  Siruvan, I’m not comfortable with you attempting Iskilion right now.  Please, trust me in this.  Stick to Harket for the time being.  Once you have mastered every nuance of it, you might be ready to attempt the most basic forms of Iskilion.>

Siruvan lowered his stalk-eyes and nodded.  <Alright.  I’ll trust you.  I just…I don’t feel like I’m improving, and it’s frustrating.>

Ossanlin nodded.  <You are improving, Siruvan.  I can see the development in your form and technique.  I can no longer anticipate your moves so easily…you’re beginning to adapt and improvise.  You’re getting quicker, as well.  Do not feel discouraged, Siruvan.>  Ossanlin smiled once more before nodding and stepping into one of the unoccupied sparring rings laid out on the ground.

Siruvan gave Ossanlin a grateful look before stepping into the ring himself.[/spoiler]

RAF Silverblade

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 09:59:41 PM »
[spoiler=Chapter 2:  Lessons From the Past and Revelations of the Future]Ossanlin glanced around the shared barrack-style Cadet quarters before heading back out.  The suns had set over the Scirit plains and the population center of Cendorus, and most of the other Cadets were heading into the quarters for the evening relaxation period, but Ossanlin had other things to do.

Ossanlin admired the well-lit buildings and scoops as he slowly made his way back toward the center of the Academy.  The place was actually quite pretty at night.  Ossanlin’s main eyes wandered up into the sky to rest upon the large, hanging form of the Sky Garden.  Lit up in blue and white hues, it almost resembled a lobed moon, glowing dimly amongst the stars.

Kirun had asked Ossanlin to return to the practice yard tonight.  It would likely be empty.  He’d said he had a surprise for Ossanlin that he wanted to try out.  In spite of the secrecy and nebulousness, Ossanlin found himself somewhat excited.  The last time Kirun had had a “surprise” for Ossanlin, it had been three of the top tail-fighters on the Homeworld.  Ossanlin had fought and beaten each one separately, and they’d had to team up to beat him.  After that, Kirun’s lessons had all included multiple opponents for Ossanlin to fight at the same time.  Ossanlin had won the eventual all-at-once rematch with the three.

He found himself running through the possibilities in his mind.  What else could Kirun find to throw at him?  If there was one thing to be said about Kirun, it was that he was a dedicated teacher.  Ossanlin had mastered all of his lessons so far, but that didn’t stop Kirun from finding more ways to test Ossanlin’s limits.

Ossanlin passed only a few other students as he made his way through one of the wide, open concourses toward the practice yards.  As he arrived at the entry onto the practice yard, he saw Kirun in one of the rings, mock-fighting an imaginary opponent with near-flawless Iskilion.  Overcoming that had been a challenge, but Kirun hadn’t displayed even the slightest amount of shock the first time Ossanlin had beaten him in an even duel.

Ossanlin watched in silence for a few moments before trotting out into the well-lit yard.  All facilities at the Academy were available at all hours of the day, but almost no-one was out this late.  Recently, however, this had become one of the most active times of Ossanlin’s days.  He attended special lessons with nearly all of his instructors at least once per week, and then there were his meetings with Academy Patron Prince Raigar.

Kirun had spotted Ossanlin long before he’d moved out onto the field, of course.  Kirun had great situational awareness…that came of being a practiced tail-fighter.  <Ah, Ossanlin.  Good, I’m glad you made it out tonight.  I have something special in store for you.>

Kirun smiled almost deviously as Ossanlin approached.  Kirun was big…large for a male Andalite.  He intimidated most of his students, and rightfully so.  Kirun was a Dorun, Master Class, and though he was not considered the most-skilled tail-fighter on the Homeworld, he was certainly not to be scoffed at.  Ossanlin hadn’t believed the male’s speed the first time he’d seen it.  That something so large could move so quickly seemed completely counter-intuitive.  Ossanlin himself was not small…in fact his current growth pattern suggested that he might become just as large as Kirun was once he reached adulthood.

Ossanlin bowed his stalk-eyes and performed the ritualistic tail-fighting salute, right arm crossed over his chest, tail arching forward so the tip of the tail-blade rested just above his head, before speaking.  <Master Kirun, it is good to see you in such fine form.>

Kirun smiled and chuckled.  <And it is fine to see my best student so dedicated to the Art.>  He trotted over to a cloth lying on the ground and casually swiped it aside with his tail.  <This is the surprise.>  The Master smirked.

Ossanlin glanced at the ground and moved closer for a better look.  Laying there were two narrow, handled metallic rods approximately one meter in length each.  Upon closer inspection, Ossanlin noticed that the instruments were not rods precisely…they were wider than they were thick, and one side looked to be thinner than the other, like an un-sharpened edge.  Ossanlin looked up at Kirun questioningly.

Kirun gestured at the things lying on the ground.  <Go ahead, pick them up.  See how they feel in your hands.>

Ossanlin did as instructed, bending down to retrieve the two metal rods.  The grips were fine akstek leather, and the blades appeared to be semi-pored litanium.  Ossanlin held one in each hand, confusion still present in his eyes.

<Ossanlin, you’ve mastered nearly every tail-fighting technique I know of, but there is one that I have read about in ancient electronic texts that has always seemed facetious to me.  Seeing your skill, I can finally believe that the technique actually existed.  It is called Ken’Kara.  The Art of Three Blades.>

Ossanlin’s main eyes widened as he looked down at the metallic rods in his hands.  Both were swept back slightly in a graceful curve.  Yes, that thinner part on the belly of the shallow curve could be sharpened into an actual blade.  The grips, made to fit the hands and not to twist, and the metallic crescent-like discs between the blades and their handles, to guard the hands.  These were meant to be swords!

<Think of it, Ossanlin…not one blade, but three.  The possibilities seem endless.  This is the pinnacle of martial blade form.>

Ossanlin attempted to swing one of the blades and immediately felt its weight carry through.  <Master, these blades are heavy…I can’t help but feel that my arms would tire almost immediately with trying to swing their weight.>

Kirun nodded knowingly.  <Yes.  The thought had occurred to me as well.  You will need to begin an arm-strength training regimen to develop power and stamina in your upper limbs.>

Ossanlin glanced down at the blades again.  <Master, if I may ask…if one is to wield weapons with hands while tail-fighting, why would one not simply use Shredd?>

<Ah, a good question, and another one I’ve thought long upon.  But think, Ossanlin…is a Shredder dangerous in more than one direction?  Is it dangerous for more than a moment while the trigger is pulled?  Can a Shredder defend against an incoming blow, or block an attack?  The blade is dangerous over a wide range of directions, and it can always cut.  The blade can also deflect and block attacks, allowing the tail to be free for striking or vice versa.>  Kirun nodded at Ossanlin and started moving toward one of the small, open lecture scoops at the edge of the exercise yard.

Ossanlin nodded and followed, unsharpened blades in hand.  <I suppose I can see some value in the blades, Master…but why have you decided that this Ken’Kara is more than a mere myth as you first suspected?>

Kirun stopped as he reached the lecture scoop, and powered the holo-projector up.  <For two reasons, Ossanlin.  I already mentioned you…your rate of learning and natural martial talent...that is one reason.  The other reason, is this.>  Kirun gestured at the analog holo-recording.

The data feed looked old and somewhat corrupted, but very soft thought-speech suddenly presented itself within Ossanlin’s mind.  What followed left Ossanlin speechless.  Instructions, text, visualizations…this was a very old recording about tail-fighting form, specifically the form of Ken’Kara.

<This data disc has been passed down through my family for generations, Ossanlin.  All that we knew from our ancestors was that it contained the knowledge of ancient tail-fighters.  The technology to restore the disc to full functionality and decrypt the ancient files wasn’t developed until a few years ago.  I have pored over this disc’s contents many times since then.  Ossanlin, the tri-blades actually existed.>  Kirun paused for a moment, watching a portion of the data-file, before continuing.  <I might be able to learn the form, but it would take years of study and effort for me to unlearn my techniques and then relearn them whilst incorporating the swords.>

Kirun nodded to Ossanlin.  <But you, Ossanlin…you have the skill and the dedication, and you lack the predispositions of extensive experience.  Undertaking this…learning this ancient form will be the most difficult and arduous tail-fighting effort you’ve ever undertaken, but if there is anyone who can do it, Ossanlin…I believe that you have the potential to become the first Ken’Kara Master in over five thousand years.>

Ossanlin remained silent, aware of Kirun’s words, but completely enveloped in the old data-files.  He drank in the wealth of knowledge…these voices of the past.  It was as if the ancient and honored ancestors were communing with him through this nearly-corrupted data-file, passing their knowledge through the thick, impenetrable veils of time.  Ossanlin had originally thought that fighting with the hand-blades would be a ridiculous waste of time, but now, hearing the ancestors and watching them…seeing the mythical and all but forgotten tri-blades himself, how could he possibly refuse the challenge?  It would be like scuffing a hoof on the ancestors’ graves or scoffing in their faces.  Ossanlin knew that his new tail-fighting passion lay in the blades still gripped in his hands.  He would learn…he would absorb the information and drink in the wisdom.  He would devote himself to learning Ken’Kara, and whether he succeeded or not, he would do proper honor to his ancestors.

When the data feed finally ended, Ossanlin stood silent…respectful, his mind playing scenes from the data-file over and over again.  He hadn’t comprehended everything, but he’d understood a fair bit.  Long before the Andalites had developed space-flight, or even ranged weapons, this tail-fighting form had been the penultimate Warrior’s mark…the pinnacle of tail-fighting prowess.  Ossanlin had the potential to be such once again.

<Ossanlin, I am giving you this data-disc.  I pray that you study it, use it, learn from it.  Master this technique, and then pass it on.  Do not let the wisdom of the ancient masters die.>

Ossanlin turned to see all four of Kirun’s eyes on him.  Ossanlin’s own eyes widened.  <Master Kirun, I can’t accept this!  It is a family heirloom, a priceless artifact that was entrusted to your family.>

<The disc will be put to much better use by one who would learn from it and absorb the knowledge of the ancient masters, than by one who would see it encased in trans-fiber and displayed on a shelf.>  Kirun smiled a bit, carefully ensconcing the ancient data disc in a padded, armored carry case which he slung carefully over Ossanlin’s shoulder.  <Take the disc and the hand-blades with you and learn when you can.  I will expect you to fight with those dull blades at our next private lesson.>

Ossanlin stood shocked for a moment before bowing his upper torso low.  <Thank you, Master.  I will study and learn…you won’t be disappointed.>

Kirun nodded.  <I expect that I won’t be.  Now, your lesson time has elapsed.  Attend to your other duties.>

Ossanlin bowed again and exited the small lecture scoop, heading back into the central concourse.  His mind still reeled from the knowledge and wisdom imparted to him through the ancient data disc.

As he passed out into the large, enclosed central common, a claxon sounded through the entire settlement of Cendorus before a broad-range thought-speech voice announced, <Warning, Cyrenk facility launch will occur in one standard minute.  Clear all Cyrenk-priority air-space, thank you.>

Ossanlin glanced up through the small, rounded dome at the night sky before stepping onto the lift leading to the Reflection Room.  He rode the lift up absorbed in his thoughts.  Prince Raigar would be waiting for him.

Ossanlin ascended into the Reflection Room and glanced around, noting the solid form of Prince Raigar staring out the force-shield window at the Cyrenk facility.  Another warning issued through Cendorus…thirty standard seconds ‘til launch.  Ossanlin remained silent as he stepped up next to Raigar, staring out over the tightly-packed scoops of Cendorus.

The Cyrenk facility was aglow with light and activity.  The MAG rings were filled with an intense blue glow, charged and ready to help propel the facility’s projectile into space.  Fifteen seconds…lights along the mass accelerator rolled smoothly forward.  Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one…Launch.

The enclosed shuttle that contained half of one of the Apix matter coil assemblies launched forward along the mass accelerator, picking up massive amounts of speed in mere seconds.  It ascended the upward arc and then flew free of the mass accelerator, passing through the first MAG ring.  It discharged and the Dome Ship part accelerated past the speed of sound before it hit the next MAG ring and accelerated even more.  A sonic boom suddenly washed over Cendorus, shaking the ground a bit.  The projectile quickly became lost to sight as it ascended, pushing past escape velocity.

<Remarkable, isn’t it?  Such a simple way of moving huge parts from the surface of a planet…and completely unnecessary if only the Empire didn’t threaten us from every angle.>  Raigar finally turned his main eyes on Ossanlin.  <And yet, we persevere.>

Ossanlin broke his own main eyes away from the Cyrenk facility and met Raigar’s.  <We do what we must to protect the People.>

Raigar nodded and went to stand next to the large, under-lit fountain.  It sparkled in the low light of the night-time Reflection Room.  <Yes.  Yes we do.>  Raigar glanced at the blades clutched in Ossanlin’s left hand and nodded.  <One of Master Kirun’s new efforts to challenge you?>

Ossanlin trotted toward the fountain as well.  <Yes, Prince.  It is an ancient form known as Ken’Kara.>

Raigar smiled.  <Tell me, Ossanlin, who do you think “The People” are?>

Ossanlin gave Raigar a suddenly-confused look before answering by rote. <The People are my duty.  The People are my responsibility.  The People are my honor.  My life is lived for the People, and should they require its sacrifice, they shall have it.>

Raigar chuckled and clapped Ossanlin on the shoulder.  <That is the response we drilled into you.  But who exactly are “The People?”>

Ossanlin ****ed his head in further confusion.  <Well, the Andalite People.>

Raigar nodded a bit before turning back toward the windows.  <Do you really think that The People are no more than the Andalites?  Is our scope truly so limited?>  Raigar turned back toward Ossanlin.  <If The People are just the Andalites, then why do we struggle so strongly against the Empire?  They cannot threaten us as yet…and if we use this time to fortify our own defenses…if we build a fortress around our home system, and perhaps some of our near satellite systems, the Empire will never get in.  We could forge the Alpha line into an impenetrable wall.>  Raigar trotted back toward Ossanlin.  <Why, then, Cadet, do we fight so fiercely and expend our resources in trying to stop the spread of the Empire?>

Ossanlin furrowed his brow.  He nearly spoke, but stopped himself, thinking further.  The Andalites bore direct responsibility for unleashing the Yeerk plague upon the Galaxy.  The war was meant as a restitution…the rectification of a grievous error.  But Raigar’s words rang true…if everything in life was for The People, and The People were the Andalites, then why would the Andalites not simply fortify and protect themselves?

<Then…The People…it must mean the free Peoples…of the Galaxy.>  Ossanlin’s eyes widened as his outlook on the entire conflict changed.  Suddenly his life was not a shield for the Homeworld, but a shield for the entire Galaxy.  He felt the weight of that absolute responsibility settle upon his shoulders.  His duty…so much heavier than it ever had been before.

Raigar smiled and clasped Ossanlin’s forearms, nodding as he saw the realization dawn on his pupil.  <Yes…we are defenders of the Galaxy, Ossanlin.  We have taken that mantle upon ourselves by claiming responsibility for the Empire.  I think that “The People” contains anyone who cannot fight for himself.  Anyone.>  Raigar nodded meaningfully.

<Anyone…wait…you mean…you mean Yeerks?!>  Ossanlin’s tone rose a bit at that.  He’d been working on controlling his physical and “vocal” reactions, but some things still caught him off-guard.

<Yes, Ossanlin…Yeerks.  There are Yeerks whom do not agree with the Empire.  They cannot fight for themselves.  They are denied hosts, and in some cases I’m certain, executed by the Empire for vocalizing dissent.  We fight for The People, Ossanlin, and “The People” include Yeerks.>

Ossanlin turned away from Raigar, feeling the bile dropping into his legs.  Yeerks weren’t inherently evil, that was pure logic, but the thought of devoting his life to the protection of Yeerks, any Yeerks, soured Ossanlin’s thoughts.

<Ossanlin…I would not have guided you to this realization if I hadn’t thought you were ready for it.  It is a truth you must face and overcome.>  Raigar walked over to Ossanlin and merely stood next to him, leaving Ossanlin to his own thoughts.

After several minutes of silence, Ossanlin looked up at his friend and mentor.  <Prince…I must…I must think.>  He turned and headed back toward the lift.

<Of course, Ossanlin.  Don’t hesitate to contact me when you need to talk.>

Ossanlin remained silent as he boarded the lift and rode it down.  His hands felt numb, still clasping the leather grips of the unsharpened swords, the padded carry-case for the ancient data disc still slung over a shoulder.  He remained silent all the way back to the barracks and to his sleeping cube.

His life…for Yeerks?![/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:48:12 PM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »

RAF Silverblade

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 04:09:33 AM »
[spoiler=Chapter 3:  Shorm]<To understand quantum variations, one must first understand the nature of Z-Space.>  Instructor Kerian-Mendel-Sufur did her best to sound enthusiastic about teaching as she performed a demonstration lecture for a group of Andalite younglings whom were deciding whether or not they would be attending the Academy.

Ossanlin listened to the lecture avidly, absorbing every word.  Of course it was basic fundamentals, but this was merely to give the youngsters a taste of what it would be like to attend lecture at the Academy.  He kept his main eyes on the instructor, but his stalk eyes gazed up longingly at the blue streaks dancing around far overhead.  The Tail-Fighter demonstration.  If only Ossanlin had been asked to take part in that.  But it was being performed by the instructors…no real surprises there.

<We may think of Z-Space as we would an ocean.  It possesses waves and energy.  When we travel through Z-Space, our ships are forced to ride those waves no matter how “high” they reach, or how “low” they dip.  These waves in flux are the basis of quantum variation.  They are also the reason for the differences in transit time between the same two spots at different points in time.>  Instructor Kerian activated the holo-display in the middle of the large, uncovered lecture-scoop.  It showed a visible representation of Z-Space with n-dimensional distortions.  <The larger the distortions, or “waves,” the longer the trip.>

<Point of entry determines Z-Space’s “surface” for the ship in question.  Our ships use their energy shields to generate what we call a Varad field.  Without the Varad field, Z-Space would tear our ships apart.  Even with the Varad field, a ship can be destroyed in what we call an Active Shift.  Z-Space is little more than volatile entropy, and an Active Shift occurs when something in one of the n-dimensions forces a ship onto a different plane or “surface” of Z-Space from within.  The stresses on the ship’s physical reality are monumental in these situations.  It takes a deft TO to successfully navigate an Active Shift…only 15% of ships experiencing an Active Shift survive, but thankfully, Active Shifts are markedly rare.>

Instructor Kerian caused the visual representation to display a hologram of the Z-Time theory.  <Travel through Z-Space requires both physical and temporal travel, as do all other known forms of travel.  Time and distance.  Because of the nature of Z-Space travel, “velocity” is constant.  In our traditional dimensional existence, constant velocity would demonstrate a direct and constant relationship between distance and time.  This is not the case in Z-Space.  Traveling the same distance at a constant velocity at different points in time often results in radically different overall transit times.  N-dimensional variations in Z-Space are to blame.  And though we do not completely understand the inter-dimensional relationships involved with Z-Space, this variation brings to light some very interesting possibilities, not the least of which is travel through time.>

Kerian paused for dramatic effect.  Many of these younglings would’ve heard of Z-Time theory already, but teaching was, at its heart, a form of performance art.  Besides which, Ossanlin noticed some rather awestruck faces in the crowd.

<If there is not a constant relationship between distance and time at constant speed, it stands to reason that one can travel anywhere in the Universe with no time elapsing.  It also stands to reason that one can travel from one spot, to the exact same spot, over time.  Travel is occurring, yet the ship is remaining in the exact same physical location.  This means that despite traversing distance, the ship’s three-dimensional coordinates are remaining identical.  Most physicists agree that in this hypothetical scenario, the only coordinate that may be changing for the ship is its fourth-dimensional coordinate…in other words, its place in time.  Thus, time-travel.>

Kerian smiled before shutting down the scoop’s holo-projector.  <Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, the mathematics demonstrate that the amount of energy required to produce this effect would be astronomical, so we won’t be treading the fourth dimension any time soon.>

<Thank you all for listening so attentively.  This concludes today’s Z-Theory lecture.  Please remain orderly as you exit the scoop, and your guides will bring you to your next activity.>  Kerian nodded and the younglings clasped their hands in front of themselves and bowed their upper torsos in respect.  Ossanlin followed suit, before trotting up to the aging female instructor.

The instructor was engaged in conversation with a few of the younglings.  Most if not all of those who took the time to converse with Kerian would end up joining the Academy.  Out of the entire demonstration class, better than seventy percent would likely end up enrolled by the end of the cycle.

<Ah, cadet.  Thank you for assisting with the class.>  Kerian smiled somewhat warmly at Ossanlin.  She was one to appreciate curious and agile minds, and Ossanlin had fit her bill right from the start.

<The pleasure was mine, Instructor.  Well-done.  You always manage to engage your students in your lectures.>  Ossanlin bowed his eye-stalks in respect.  Not all of his instructors would allow him to get away with such an equal gesture of respect, but Kerian allowed him many things.

<It is important to keep the younglings interested in thought and knowledge.  So many enroll with thoughts only for glory and battle, they do not realize that a keen mind is one of the best weapons they may possess.>  Kerian eye-smiled at Ossanlin for a moment before speaking again.  <I’m so glad you understand that much, Ossanlin.  I see the greatness in your future.  You should go feed and rest.  You’ll need your energy for tomorrow.>

Ossanlin bowed his eye-stalks again and turned to leave.

<Please remember, Ossanlin…use your head before your tail.>

<Yes, Instructor.  I shall.>  Ossanlin glanced back at Kerian and nodded before turning back to leave.

As Ossanlin trotted toward the feeding grounds, he was caught up by Siruvan.  Ossanlin favored his friend with a glance of his main eyes before continuing on.

<Ossanlin…is it true?  Are you being deployed immediately?>  Siruvan’s tone was measured and even.

<Yes, Siruvan.  I depart the day after tomorrow.  I am to be an aristh aboard the Galaxy Tree.>  Ossanlin suppressed his excitement at the thought.  Graduating at 16 years UGTS was a feat that very few academy initiates had ever accomplished.  True, he was mere standard weeks away from his seventeenth birthday, but still!

<I…see.>  Siruvan cast his main eyes down at the ground.  Ossanlin noticed the elongated bag hanging from Siruvan’s right shoulder for the first time, but gave it little thought.  <I’d hoped that that information had been exaggerated.>

<I can sense disappointment, Siruvan.  Why?>  Ossanlin turned his main eyes on his friend again, concern painting his features.

<Because, Ossanlin…you are my only friend.  I…don’t know what I will do without you here.  You’ve made my time at the Academy tolerable.  I can’t even begin to thank you for the tail-fighting lessons.  I just don’t want to see you go.  I suppose that’s selfish of me, I should be happy for you.>

Ossanlin stopped and smiled, placing a hand on Siruvan’s cheek.  Siruvan widened his eyes at the intimate gesture, but didn’t pull away.  <Siruvan, did it ever occur to you that you have been just as precious if not moreso to me?  You are my only friend, and if there were a way to bring you with me, I would do it in a hearts-beat.  But I have my duty, and I must follow it though it be painful.>  Ossanlin nodded to Siruvan and placed his other hand on Siruvan’s other cheek.  A gesture that was reserved for lovers or, in very special circumstances, the closest of friends.  <I would call you shorm, my friend.>

Siruvan widened his eyes even further, before placing his own hands on Ossanlin’s cheeks, bringing his tail-blade forward and holding it to Ossanlin’s neck.  Ossanlin did the same with his tail.  <Siruvan-Mefir-Lorinian, my life is yours to take.>  Ossanlin continued to smile.

<And my life is yours to take, Ossanlin-Rethin-Sephirel.>  Siruvan gave a trepidatious smile in return.  The two held their blades poised at each-others’ necks for ten seconds, before withdrawing hands and tails.

<I want to give you something, Siruvan.  Since I will be leaving, I must entrust its care to another.  Where I’m going, my opportunities to teach tail-fighting will be limited, and the form must not die if something happens to me.>  Ossanlin reached into the utilities belt at his waist and withdrew a small, armored case.  He handed it to Siruvan.

Siruvan furrowed his eyebrows and accepted the case, opening it.  He took in a sharp breath and closed it again, shoving it back at Ossanlin.  <I cannot accept this, Ossanlin!  It is much too precious to be placed in my hands!>

<Nonsense, Siruvan.  You are now the most-skilled student of tail-fighting at the Academy.  You have mastered the arts taught here, and now it’s time for a new challenge.>  Ossanlin laid a hand atop the case still clutched in Siruvan’s hands and pushed it back toward his friend.  <I am the only Andalite who has studied Ken’Kara in a thousand years or more.  This is the only remnant left of it, Siruvan.  The Art of Three Blades cannot die.  It is time for you to study it and learn the ways of the ancient Triblades.  Then pass it on.  More-so than a gift, it is responsibility that I am bestowing upon you.  I entrust this knowledge to you.  Please learn it and keep it alive.>

Siruvan clutched the case possessively, nodding and looking up at Ossanlin.  <I can’t thank you enough, my shorm.  I’m afraid my gift now pales in comparison, but I thought it might be useful to you out in the field.>  Siruvan smiled tentatively as he took the bag from his shoulder and handed it to Ossanlin.

Ossanlin took note of the bag once again and accepted it from the other Andalite.  He reached a hand into the bag and drew out one of the two items contained within.  His eyebrows raised at the item now grasped in his hand.  It was a sheathed blade, one of two that had been contained in the bag.  Ossanlin slung the bag over his shoulder and used both hands to examine Siruvan’s gift.

The black-laquered sheath had restrained silver tooling worked all along its length.  The hand-guard was a silver-tooled crescent moon, the grip fine synthite leather.  It would never grow less supple, nor would it need oiling.  He drew the sword from its sheath and nearly gasped as the almost-iridescent silver of the blade caught his eye.  If he wasn’t mistaken, that was…

<Tri-bonded neutrite composite.  Semi-porous to decrease weight.>  Siruvan smiled a bit.  <The edges have been precision-formed to a thickness of precisely one neutrite molecule.>

The same material as hull-plating.  The stuff was enormously difficult to come by, and not cheap.  How Siruvan had managed to come across enough of it to make two swords, Ossanlin could not fathom.  The swords were incredibly light, they would add unthinkable speed to his strikes.  That wasn’t to mention their energy-syncing capabilities.  The properties of these blades would allow them to absorb energy-weapons fire and disperse it harmlessly as background heat, given that it wasn’t so intense as to break the tri-bonds of the neutrite itself.  And a thickness of one neutrite molecule would allow the swords to cut through almost anything, and neutrite would hold that edge indefinitely.

<Siruvan…how…these are incredible!>  Ossanlin smiled up at his friend before returning to his admiration of the blade.

<How isn’t important, and they don’t come close to repaying you for everything that you’ve done for me, Ossanlin.  I just hope that they’ll provide a modicum of safety for you out there.>  Siruvan smiled again before tucking the case containing the ancientKen’Kara data disc into his own utilities belt.

Ossanlin nodded, sheathing the sword and placing it back into the bag with its twin.  <Thank you, my shorm.  There is little more I can say…only that you’ve done as much for me.  It will be comforting to know that I have your blades at my side, Siruvan, even though you won’t be with me in body.>

<And I will think of you every time I practice the Art of Three Blades, my shorm.  It will be your training which guides me.>

Ossanlin nodded, still smiling as they ran toward the feeding ground for one last run together.  It would be their first as shorm, but perhaps their last for years.  Ossanlin felt bittersweet about that.  Losing his friendship with Siruvan…one that had endured for years, would be painful.  But Ossanlin was moving on to a new chapter of his life.  Regardless, Ossanlin knew in his hearts that his deep bond with Siruvan would remain for the rest of his life.  Perhaps after his tour in the military, he and Siruvan could pick up where they left off now.  Reminisce about days of old and spar in the form of Ken’Kara.  Perhaps.[/spoiler]

~I decided after the fact to post this portion as its own chapter...I have a bunch more written, but I felt it was getting too long and this had a good stopping point written in already.  Thus, new chapter is posted.  The next will likely be fairly quick in coming, though I make no promises.  (It's mostly-written already, but you never know with me).

RAF Silverblade

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 12:28:41 PM »
Woo! New chapter and the potential for more soon! I'm loving finding out about Ossanlin's past. This is awesome ^_^

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 01:50:24 AM »
Well thanks, Scott...glad you like it.  Of course it was, once again, your outpouring of quality fiction that spurred me to continue with this effort, so you deserve some of the credit.   :)

RAF Silverblade

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »
[spoiler=Chapter 4:  Doubts and Departures]The next day, Ossanlin woke up earlier than usual, donning his formal silver dress belt and formal white neck-collar.  It would be a few hours before the graduation ceremony, but Ossanlin wanted time to think.

Dressed in his formals, he trotted out of the barracks and galloped to the observation spire, riding the lift up.  The sun hadn’t crested the horizon yet when he reached the Reflection Room at the top.  He stepped right up to the windows, ignoring the room’s height as he watched the colors shift on the eastern horizon.

One of the nice things about the Reflection Room was its relative seclusion.  Despite being near the heart of the Academy, few Andalites had any desire to brave the Reflection Room’s heights.  As such, it was usually fairly private, especially at this time of day.  In the relative silence, the soft trickle of the fountain behind him seemed ridiculously loud to his ears. 

The room sparked thoughts and memories of multiple conversations with Prince Raigar.  Indeed, Ossanlin often became “reflective” in this room.  The irony seemed somewhat absurd.  Silver vehicles flashed through his vision, flitting over the airspace of Cendorus.  Everyone was trying to beat the lockdown.  Cyrenk was launching several large parts today, and airspace over the settlement would be heavily restricted.  Ossanlin had glimpsed some of the parts scheduled for launch.  They didn’t seem correct for a normal Mark II Dome Ship, nor were they parts for Interceptor or Destroyer-class ships.  There was all sorts of conjecture about what sort of ship the parts were meant for.  Everything from a new class of starship to a new Mark of Dome Ship of all things.  Whatever the parts were for, the Electorate was keeping the information close.

<Like minds, eh?>  Ossanlin wasn’t particularly startled when he heard a deep thought-speech voice resonate behind him.  He’d heard the lift in that absolute quiet, though he’d deliberately kept his stalk eyes scanning the view before him.

<Prince, I suppose it’s only appropriate that you should come here.>  Ossanlin kept his eyes toward the brightly-hued horizon.  <It’s hardly a moment I’ve spent in this room without your company.>

<Ossanlin…you’ve grown.  Matured.  I can sense deep thoughts in you now.  Would you care to share them?>  Raigar walked up next to Ossanlin, directing all four of his eyes at the soon-to-be-rising sun as well.

<I do not know that it would be wise, Prince.>

<Ossanlin, you can share anything with me, I hope you know that.  It is why I am here.  You need not fear reprimand or reproval from me.>  Raigar smiled a bit, Ossanlin could see the angle of his eyes with his own peripheral vision.

Suddenly, the first beams of sunlight lanced over the horizon, streaming across the silvery, crystalline structures of Cendorus.  The light hit the Reflection Room first, being the highest point in the settlement.  It was bright…almost blinding, but Ossanlin didn’t wince or squint.  He stared at the first sun as if it would provide him with answers.

<Prince, I cannot give my life for Yeerks.  I have thought it over time and again.  I know they are not inherently evil, I know it, but the Empire is composed entirely of Yeerks.  They have killed so many of ours…I do not think I can find it in my hearts to forgive even one of them.>  Ossanlin finally looked away from the blinding light of the sunrise, deflecting his gaze downward at the floor.  Raigar never got angry or upset, but Ossanlin found that the Prince’s disappointment was far more painful than any reprimand he’d ever received.

<Ah, that.  Ossanlin, there is a certain amount of give and take in anything.  Your thoughts are already far more progressive than those of your brethren.  Of course there will be anger, I did not say you should suppress it.  The Empire has taken thousands of lives, and destroyed the freedom of hundreds of thousands more.  You have always been a passionate Andalite, Ossanlin.  Headstrong and willful, but also compassionate.  Anger is an expression of passion.> 

<As long as you can control it, keep it from affecting your decisions and behavior, then I believe that emotion is good.  It helps you to keep perspective.  I did not say that you should not feel, Ossanlin…I said that you needed to keep your feelings from controlling you.>  Raigar continued to smile, looking over at Ossanlin.  <I can feel it somewhere, Ossanlin, deep inside…there will come a time when a Yeerk shows you compassion.  And I know that once that happens, you’ll see that there are Yeerks whom are worth dying for as well.>

Ossanlin looked up and met Raigar’s gaze, the warmth of the first sun bathing him.  The whole thing felt surreal, and Ossanlin found himself doubting reality a moment…but only a moment.  He looked away again.  A Yeerk show compassion?  About as likely as a kafit growing as large as a moon and stomping Cendorus flat, but Ossanlin trusted Raigar in most everything.  <Alright, Prince…if a Yeerk shows me compassion, he will be my friend for life.>

Raigar smiled and chuckled, muttering <I know.>  He paused, glancing downward before looking back up to meet Ossanlin’s gaze once again.  <<Ossanlin…I have something I’ve wanted to speak with you about for awhile.  I don’t know if you’re ready to hear this, but you need to…we’re out of time.  Ossanlin, there is a group within the Andalite government known as Sector Seven.>>

Ossanlin furrowed his brow questioningly, noting Raigar’s shift to private thought-speech.  <<The intelligence-gathering and analysis branch?>>

Raigar chuckled ruefully.  <<That is what they’d have you and everyone else believe.  Ossanlin, Sector Seven is much more than a simple intelligence entity.  Sector Seven has ties to every facet of Andalite government.  There are members of Sector Seven in the Electorate, in the Executive Military, on Dome Ships, in outposts, in Cyrenk, in Marin Lab, in the Academy…everywhere.  Ossanlin, they can influence events however they see fit.>>

Ossanlin furrowed his brow further.  <<What are you telling me, Prince?>>

<<Ossanlin, Sector Seven is the real power behind the Andalite people.  The anti-Yeerk propaganda campaign was their idea.  They exist above the government, Ossanlin…they do things that no one should do, all for their own vaunted ideals of what is “good and right” for the People.  They have technologies unknown to the rest of the Andalite populous, they have weapons more-advanced than the Moonstrike Brigade…there’s no check on their power, Ossanlin.  They control the People, and with them, they control the government, the military…everything.>>

Ossanlin turned his gaze back out the windows to look over Cendorus.  He was actually quite proud of himself for not displaying even a hint of the aghast surprise or growing dread that filled him.  Government had checks and balances for a reason…if this shadow agency actually influenced all the goings-on of the Electorate and Andalite life…  <<Prince, I’ve not heard any of this from anyone before.  It couldn’t possibly be common knowledge.  If what you say is true, how could you possibly know all of this?>>

Raigar was silent for a long time before nodding to himself.  <<Because, Ossanlin…I am a member of Sector Seven.>>

Ossanlin felt as if he’d been knocked on the head by a flat-side tailblade.  He kept his composure, but just barely, allowing the information to sink in.

<<Before you say anything, Ossanlin…there are those of us within Sector Seven who are members in name only.  We work from the inside to try and influence Sector Seven beneficially…we keep the façade of loyal members, but secretly work to counter the more nefarious goals of Sector Seven.  I am one of those members.>>

<<A…double agent?>>  Ossanlin shook his head, perplexed by the shock and convolution of everything involved in the discussion.

<<I suppose you could say that.  Ossanlin, Sector Seven seeks out bright, high-achieving members for its ranks, and I must warn you that they are very interested in you.  It is all but certain that they will make contact with you.  When they do, Ossanlin, I would ask that you accept their offer.  I would tell you to refuse, but Sector Seven will do everything they can to destroy your career if you do.  They are very effective, and a young Warrior fresh off of his aristh bar is not difficult to crush under-hoof…especially with the resources that Sector Seven have at their disposal.>>  Raigar placed a hand on Ossanlin’s shoulder, holding his eye-contact.  <<I have faith in you, Ossanlin.  If you do join, and prove yourself to them, they will do everything they can to help your career.  If you endure long enough, you’ll reach a position from which you can act with some autonomy.  If you make it that far, Ossanlin…you will make a tremendous difference for all of the People.  You could become one of us.>>  Raigar smiled a bit sadly, and Ossanlin could sense remorse and a touch of sadness in Raigar’s tone.  <<Would that you could escape their grasp entirely, but as things stand now, that’s not possible.>>

<<I…would become one of you.  A double-agent…there are others?>>  Ossanlin controlled his features and tone of thought masterfully for one so young.

<<Yes, Ossanlin.  There are several of us.  I know a few myself, but of necessity, there are several of which I do not know.  I am acquainted with one Andalite in particular…he’s not so different from yourself.  I will not reveal to you when he graduated, again of necessity, but you remind me somewhat of him.  He once told me jokingly that he’d create his own branch of Sector Seven called Sector Nine.>>  Raigar smiled and chuckled.  <<Quite the wry sense of humor in that one.  He made good on his promise, too.  Perhaps I should ask him if I could join.>>  Raigar chuckled again.

Ossanlin merely nodded, forcing a small smile for the Prince’s benefit.  Ossanlin had come to the Reflection Room for a clear mind…instead his thoughts had been scattered even further by Raigar’s revelations.  The information was almost too much, and it was certainly too much to filter through now.  Ossanlin used a trick he’d learned in command training…in order to prioritize, one had to take non-time-sensitive information and file it away in one’s memory if necessary.  It could be withdrawn later much like a computer file for a full perusal.

Ossanlin took a deep breath before clasping his hands and bowing in front of Prince Raigar.  <Thank you Prince, for all of the assistance you have rendered to me over the entirety of my time here.  There is no way I can repay you.>

<Nonsense, Ossanlin.  You were an excellent student, and I expect I’ll be calling you “Prince” in a few years instead of “cadet.”  Now you’d best make your way to the graduation ceremony.  They’ll want you there before the proceedings begin.>  Raigar smiled genuinely this time and nodded.

Ossanlin nodded in return and headed to the lift, taking it down to the Academy proper.  The place was beginning to fill up as Andalites woke and tended to their morning ablutions and duties.  Ossanlin could feel an almost palpable sense of excitement in the air.  Graduation days always had that sort of effect.  Ossanlin found himself regarding every Andalite he passed in the halls and out on the grounds with suspicion and doubt.  Instead of the safe haven of freedom and enlightenment that Ossanlin had always seen before, the Homeworld now felt like a foreign place full of unknown dangers and precipitous pitfalls.  If Sector Seven’s grasp was really so tight as Raigar believed, at least some of these Andalites would belong to the organization.

Of course, nothing but what Ossanlin already knew of Raigar said that he was right.  Perhaps the Prince had exaggerated Sector Seven’s influence, or wasn’t completely familiar with the organization’s true power.  But Raigar had never been prone to misrepresentation before, and this was certainly no time for him to break his mode of operation.  It would be safest to assume that Raigar had told the unadulterated truth until Ossanlin had enough information to formulate his own opinion of the situation.

For now, Ossanlin merely filed the information away.  He was able to cultivate a middle-ground in his mind’s eye.  Not everyone belonged to Sector Seven after all.  And the Homeworld was still a haven, if not quite so safe as Ossanlin had once thought.  The smiles and nods, the congratulations and well-wishes…all became friendly again.  But Ossanlin knew he’d never see the Homeworld the same way as he had before.

The Grand Green was really little more than a large, round field bordered by evenly-spaced fluted, cloudy-crystal columns twenty feet high.  There was a raised plinth at one end with a wide podium facing the open portion of the Green.  Ossanlin joined the semi-organized group of graduating students gathered to the side of the Green, and raised his chin as one of the graduation attendants pinned the honors double-crescent on the front-left of his formal dress-collar.  Normally the honors recipient would give a speech at the ceremony, but this was a special circumstance.  There were two honors recipients with this graduating class.  Since Ossanlin was graduating early, a second honors recipient was named from the actual class that was graduating today.  He would be the one giving the speech, and Ossanlin was perfectly fine with that.

Things went fairly quickly after the ceremony finally started.  Of course there was an address by the Academy’s Patriarch, Metran, and then by Prince Raigar.  Prince Alar, Second-Commander of the Andalite military also gave an address, followed by the honors recipient from the graduating class.  Ossanlin listened and watched as each person spoke.  Which ones belonged to Sector Seven?  Which ones did not?  Did it matter at this point?  Ossanlin put on an expression of restrained pride as he walked up to the Academy Patriarch.  He lifted his chin and smiled as the Metran pinned the aristh bar to the front right of his formal collar.  Raigar beamed as he handed Ossanlin the padded box that contained his insignia belt-clasp…his badge of office.  He returned Prince Alar’s tail-salute and returned to his spot for the conclusion of the ceremony.

He endured the congratulations and well-wishes of his former instructors, and the other Andalites present before finally managing to extricate himself.  Ossanlin returned to his barracks for the last time, most of his personal effects had already been moved out.  He’d prepared a small bag the day before to carry with him on the shuttle.  He took the time only to change from his formal belt to his utilities belt.  He donned the silver aristh belt badge and the new swords that Siruvan had given him.  He also removed his formal collar with the pins still attached, and carefully packed it away with his dress belt.

He made his way across the Academy grounds for what could possibly be the final time, mentally bidding everything and everyone farewell.  The absence of air-traffic overhead was actually somewhat off-putting.  With the multiple Cyrenk launches and the shuttle departures today, it made perfect sense, but the lack of blue and silver flashes overhead was still odd.  The Sky Garden was hidden by the daylight, of course, but Ossanlin looked in its direction anyway.  His final night on the Homeworld would actually be spent above it, aboard the massive space-station.

The planet-side Academy hangar was a bustle of activity when Ossanlin arrived.  No surprises there…there were multiple shuttles being readied for orbital transport.  With the war-effort in full swing and a shortage of able bodies, fresh-minted arisths weren’t given even a moment’s rest.  Academy graduates shipped to the Sky Garden the very same day they were awarded their bar.

Ossanlin followed the appropriate glowing blue lines on the floor to lead him to his assigned shuttle.  Not surprisingly, Siruvan was waiting near its entrance.  Ossanlin smiled a bit to himself and approached his shorm.  The two grasped forearms and struck their tailblades together in friendly greeting before pulling back.  <I thought I should come see you off.  I guess I wasn’t the only one with that idea.>  Siruvan smiled again and glanced over further with his stalk-eyes.

For the first time, Ossanlin noticed his mother standing near the shuttle as well.  <Mother!>  Ossanlin moved toward her and gave her a firm embrace.  <I thought you would be too busy!>

<Too busy to see my only son off into the Galaxy?  Ossanlin, I thought you knew me better than that.>  His mother smiled gently and placed her right hand on Ossanlin’s left cheek.  He returned the gesture.  <Look at you, so strong already.  The military suits you, firi.>

Ossanlin felt a blush rising beneath his fur...his mother hadn’t used that endearment on him in years.  <Mother…>  He paused, changing what he was going to say.  <Thank you, mother.  For your love and for everything else.>  He smiled and embraced her again.  Such public displays of affection were not common, and he’d likely catch some flak for it later, he knew, but he’d decided it was a small price to pay.

<Of course.  You’re an adult in your own right, but you’ll always be my firi.  Mothers have special priveleges.>  She smiled again before continuing.  <Your father…>

<I know, mother.  He has a busy schedule, I understand.>  Ossanlin smiled and nodded.  <It’s alright, I’m glad I got to see you once more at least.>

His mother fell silent, smiling secretively.  <Indeed, he is a busy Andalite.  But I’m sure you’ll see him again.  And you’d better make sure to see me again too.  I’m not about to lose my only son to an Imperial lackey.>

<Of course, mother.>  Ossanlin smiled.

<Good.  I’m glad that’s settled.  Just remember who you are out there.  Never lose who you are.>  Ossanlin’s mother smiled back and gave him one last embrace before stepping back.

Siruvan had been standing back to give Ossanlin the moment with his mother, but he stepped forward now.  <Ossanlin, your friendship has meant the world to me.  I’ll carry on Ken’Kara, but I’ll make sure that everyone who learns it knows who the form’s true master is.  You’d better come back and visit me too.>

<Of course, Siruvan.  I’ll carry your blades with me every waking moment, my shorm.  And you will be the first person I visit when I come back, aside from my parents of course.>  Ossanlin smiled and embraced his friend.

<Good.  Life will be difficult without you here, but I’ll find you in Ken’Kara.  Now go make the People proud.>  Siruvan smiled and pushed Ossanlin gently toward his shuttle.

Ossanlin nodded, and with a final glance at Siruvan and his mother, he boarded the craft.  The ship seemed cramped after the wide open hangar, but Ossanlin tried not to think about it.  Aboard the Dome Ship, his quarters would be abysmally tiny.  Best to imagine the wide-open spaces.

Ossanlin entered one of the restraint stalls.  These shuttles were built for capacity, not comfort.  He felt the gentle pressure of the inertial field settle over him, and glanced out the window.  Of course the ship’s computer checked the identities of every individual who boarded.  Ossanlin noted that he appeared to be the last arrival.  The lights around the shuttle’s landing pad turned red before it lifted off and started to glide smoothly toward the hangar’s exit.  Thankfully the shuttles were fully-equipped with inertial dampers despite being built for economy, but Ossanlin could still feel the motion of the ship somewhat.  Only a portion of the inertia was actually cancelled out.

After the shuttle left the hangar, he felt the EV thrusters kick in and the ship began to rocket into the sky.  Ossanlin hadn’t been in orbit for a few months, and he’d only been to the Sky Garden once before, but he could feel both excitement and trepidation creeping into his mind.  He did his best to keep them under control, but there was good cause for both.

Cendorus looked so much smaller from ten kilometers up, and it only continued to dwindle.  Suddenly space seemed a massive, endless ocean too large even to comprehend.  Ossanlin found himself wondering if he’d ever return from this black abyss to his beautiful home.  Of course…he’d come back, and he’d do all the things he’d said he’d do.  Of course he would.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:44:04 AM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »

RAF Silverblade

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 03:37:36 PM »
Gah! I am sorry it took me so long to read this. Loving it, as always ^_^ The 'Sector Nine' reference had me grinning ;D

Salem's Story

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 09:53:14 PM »
No worries, Scott.  Thanks for taking the time to read it.  ^^  Honestly your post highlighted something I wasn't aware of...I thought I'd posted the next chapter, but I hadn't.  So I went ahead and put a few finishing touches/edits on it, and here it is.  XD  Now you need to continue Salem's story.  You are OBLIGATED.  :p  Also, please post in Rogue Element when you have the chance...there's a post up from Shen, and Ossanlin will likely be speaking with Aetheas soon about that...thing.  ^^

[spoiler=Chapter 5:  Exodus]The reddish glow of the Homeworld’s atmosphere faded as the shuttle gained more and more altitude.  The warm, comforting hue slowly shifted to black specked by the clearly visible stars.  Ossanlin felt the unnatural shift from true gravity to artificial gravity.  For most, artificial gravity was indiscernible from the true gravity generated by a large quantity of mass in space, but for a few, artificial gravity felt…unsettling.  Even the most-gifted physical theorists and biologists on the Homeworld couldn’t unravel the mystery of how anyone could perceive a difference.  The artificial gravity produced the same perceived physical forces on the body as natural gravity, yet it felt to Ossanlin like something was just…off.  He couldn’t explain it himself, but he’d learned to deal with it during ship and fighter training, and he’d learn to do so again.

The Sky Garden hung in front of the shuttle, suspended in its geosynchronous orbit, massive and growing larger as the fighter approached.  The giant space-station and ship-yard facility looked a bit like a three-dimensional model of an atom with the electrons frozen in their orbits around the nucleus.  There were four massive shipyard/assembly “petals” around the central axis, all on the same lateral plane.  There were three smaller “petals” extending at angles from both the top and the bottom of the central sphere.  The primary shipyard petals all existed on the same plane for a reason…they were built to rotate around the central axis.  All the Dome Ships that emerged from the Sky Garden shipyards went through different stages of construction that required different parts, tools, and supplies.  Instead of moving each incomplete ship to the next station, it was easier to move the next station to each incomplete ship for the next stage of construction.

The other six, smaller petals were for docking, maintenance, and refits of existing ships.  Ossanlin strained to catch a glimpse of the Dome Ship he’d be joining at one of the auxiliary petals, but the yard he could see into from the shuttle’s approach angle was empty.

Ossanlin watched as the shuttle passed by one of the branches leading to the Auxiliary petal and made its way toward a set of smaller hangars built directly onto the central sphere.  He felt the craft decelerate as it approached the wide, shielded portal.  The hangar looked small in comparison to the rest of the massive space station, but inside, one could see that it was nearly as large as the Academy hangar in Cendorus, and there were three others just like this one located around the nucleus.

Ossanlin subconsciously braced himself as the shuttle touched down on its designated landing pad.  The shock was actually less than he’d expected from this old workhorse of a transport.  <Welcome to the Sky Garden, arisths.  Please disembark in an orderly fashion.>  The older male pilot opened the main doors, and Ossanlin felt the restraint field lift from his body.  He procured his bag and was the first to exit, having been the last to arrive.

Thought-speech voices flooded around him.  Other shuttles were still touching down, while a few were actually taking off.  Voices echoed over the thought-speech relays, various announcements that applied to other groups.  <All arriving arisths, please proceed to orientation at speech annex 1, follow the light-green lines.  All arriving arisths, please proceed to orientation at speech annex 1, follow the light-green lines, thank you.>

Other announcements continued, but Ossanlin ignored them as he proceeded down the walkways, following the light green glowing lines on the floor.  The mobile walkways helped, but the Sky Garden was a very large place.  It took Ossanlin better than fifteen minutes to reach his destination. 

The speech annex was a large, three-dimensional bowl with a slightly-domed ceiling.  It was bright with lines of light-blue and silver lights tracing around the entirety of the space.  Some arisths had already arrived and were chatting amongst themselves, but others were still filing in.  Ossanlin found a place near the inner third of the room and stood by himself, allowing some of his filed-away thoughts to percolate through his brain, his attention wandering somewhat.

<Hey, you’re that prodigy youngling aren’t you?  Ossanlin, wasn’t it?>  Ossanlin’s eyes widened as he turned to see his father standing near him.  <You know I could’ve taken your head off if I’d wanted.>  Aran smirked.

<Father!>  Ossanlin embraced his father’s arms firmly, bowing his tail in respect.  <What on the Homeworld are you doing up here?!>

<Oh, I just thought I’d take a vacation…you know.>  Aran smirked again.  <<I’m up here for the Labs of course.  Working on artificial and non-gravitational experiments for a new collider series.>>  He winked.

<Ah, well the Sky Garden seems a strange place to take your leisure, but who am I to judge?>  Ossanlin winked back and grinned.  <I’m rather pleased to see you, father.>

Aran raised his eyebrows and chuckled.  <Lyrian told me you’d matured…I must say I wasn’t quite sure what she meant until just now.  Your age says you’re still a youngling, but your eyes say otherwise.>  He nodded approvingly.  <I’m pleased to see you as well, son.  An aristh…honor-bound and ready to serve the People.  You do make that belt-bar look good, son.>

Ossanlin grinned again.  <Thank you, father.  I’ll try to put it to good use.>

Aran nodded.  <I’m sure you will, son.  As long as you don’t forget who you are, and as long as you fight for what you believe in, and not some vaunted, standardized ideal…you will.>

Ossanlin smiled and nodded back.  <I’ll never forget who I am or where I came from, father.>  He paused for a moment before speaking up again.  <Perhaps we could have a quick sparring session before I leave.>  He smirked.

Aran chuckled.  <I’d love to, son, even knowing how badly I’d lose, but I must admit…I more or less snuck away to come see you.  We’re actually in a critical phase of…vacation…and I doubt I’ll have the opportunity to get away again.  Besides, they’re going to be keeping you even busier than me.>  He nodded and smiled.

<Arisths, your attention.  The sooner you’re quiet, the sooner we can move on.>  A loud, male thought-speech voice permeated the room.  Ossanlin hadn’t noticed how much the room had filled since he’d arrived.  There wasn’t much room left in the annex as thousands of young andalites flooded the space.

<That’s my cue.  Good luck, Ossanlin.  Know that your mother and I will always love you…just never forget who you are.>

<I promise, father.  You and mother will always have my love as well.>

Aran nodded and turned toward the nearest exit, half-walking, half-jogging.  Ossanlin couldn’t help but chuckle to himself.  His father had always been remarkably…relaxed…for an Andalite.

Ossanlin turned to regard the male speaking from the raised platform.  <Thank you.  Welcome to the Sky Garden and your first day as an initiate of the honor-bound Andalite military.  You have all demonstrated your worth by completing your studies at the Academy, but as of today, that means precisely nothing.  The Academy was a nursery school compared to what’s waiting for you amongst the stars.  Your learning begins now, and it’ll never be done…>

Ossanlin listened as the male spoke.  He went on about honor and respect.  About safety and following the chain of command.  About giving everything to the People and your fellow soldier.  It wasn’t flowery, but then it wasn’t meant to be.  The speech was supposed to be realist, Ossanlin could tell.  It was designed to evoke a certain response from those listening.  For the most part, it seemed to fulfill its purpose.  Finally the arisths were dismissed to receive their official placement orders.  All of the arisths had already known for weeks if not months where they were to be stationed, but the official orders couldn’t be given to cadets.

Ossanlin waited for the majority of the arisths to file out before making his own way out of the annex.  Across the hall from the annex was an administrative office where the official orders were being doled out.  There were several desk-stalls built into the walls with lines of arisths awaiting their official assignments trailing from each.

Despite the large number of Andalites in line, those manning the desks were highly efficient and Ossanlin’s wait wasn’t all that long.  He was soon standing in front of one of the desk-stalls, a young male on the other side tapping the panels of a small computer.  <Aristh Ossanlin-Rethin-Sephirel reporting for duty.>

<Ossanlin-Rethin-Sephirel…duty assignment as follows.>  The young male read from his small computer display.  <Dome-Ship Galaxy Tree.  Tail-Fighter pilot, call-sign ‘Slaedreth.’  UCO War-Prince Caseel-Ekran-Kelir, Captain.>  The young male pulled a small data-card off of the stack sitting next to him and passed it over the computer.  He handed the data-card to Ossanlin.  <There was a note in your file.  Prince Caseel wishes to speak with you immediately after equipment issuance.  You’ve been given Quartermaster priority status.  Proceed immediately to the armory along the orange guide-light and present this.>  Ossanlin took the red slip of poly-film that the young male proffered.  <Once you’re equipped, proceed to Auxiliary pad four to meet with the War-Prince.  Thank-you.>

Slightly bemused, Ossanlin passed through the throng of waiting arisths and proceeded out into the hallway, following the bright orange line along the corridor.  When a Prince requested an aristh’s attendance, said aristh did not keep his Prince waiting.

Ossanlin boarded one of the moving walkways, but it still took him almost ten minutes to reach the armory.  Of course the lines here were just as long as they had been in the administrative room, but one flash of the poly-film pass and the guards directed him to a very short line along the left side of the room.

The primary armory aboard the Sky Garden was nothing short of impressive.  A virtual army of andalites worked behind a 50-meter-long tran-steel counter that spanned the entire width of the room.  Behind the counter, tall tran-steel stacks rose fifteen feet high stocking an organized plethora of field-gear from ARC units to Shredders.  From transponders to assault weapons.  Everything needed to outfit newly-deployed andalites.  Several andalites were packing bundles and placing them in bins.  Those actually manning the counter were continually removing bundles from the bins next to them and handing them to the andalites being outfitted.  Still others were moving bins around…taking empty bins from the andalites manning the counter and replacing them with full bins…it was a choreographed dance of chaos.

Ossanlin barely had enough time to take it all in before he was at the counter himself.  He handed the poly-film pass over to the female manning his counter.  She smiled at him before speaking up.  <Aristh Ossanlin-Rethin-Sephirel?>

<Yes.>  He smiled back.

<Just a moment.>  She reached into a small stacker sitting beside her and selected a particular bundle, drawing it out and placing it on the counter in front of Ossanlin.  <One standard issue field-survival kit with a few additions.  You’ve been issued one hand-held Shredder, one independent transponder, one field medical kit, one two-day emergency ration pack, one Apix Realtime Computing unit, one ARC holo-emitter, and one flight-patch pin.>

Ossanlin raised his eyebrows.  <I’ve been issued an ARC?>

The female nodded and smiled again.  <You must be special.>

Ossanlin blushed a bit under his fur and chuckled nervously.  <I don’t know about that…thank you.>

<You’re very welcome.>  The female winked.

Ossanlin blushed a bit harder and moved out of the armory somewhat hastily.  His Prince was waiting for him after all.

Aboard one of the moving walkways again, Ossanlin set about removing each of the items from his bundle and clipping them into place on his uniform belt.  The holstered Shredder, the ARC in its protective carry-case, the transponder, his med-kit, and his emergency ration pack…managing to fit it all onto his belt without disturbing his swords or crowding his rank insignia.  He attached the flight-patch pin to his belt next to the aristh insignia.  The embossed, metallic pin read “Slaedreth” in raised, silver letters around an angled silver tail-fighter with artistic engine contrails behind it.  Most aristh Tail Fighter pilots had to wait weeks if not months for their flight-patch pins.

Finally he hooked the ARC holo-emitter over his right ear and commanded the unit to activate.  ARCs were fairly new additions to the Andalite arsenal, and were generally only issued to officers due to their semi-rarity.  They were supremely handy tools though, and Ossanlin was grateful to get one, even knowing the likely source of his preferential treatment.

By the time the ARC had finished its calibration sequence, Ossanlin had boarded the moving walkway inside the branch that headed out to Auxiliary petal four.  He felt fluttering in his mid-section in spite of himself.  He was about to meet the Captain of the ship that he’d be stationed on for (arguably) the next few years.  He hadn’t felt these kinds of nerves in a very long time.

As the walkway conveyed him into the petal structure, Ossanlin took in a deep breath.  Before him, the Galaxy Tree revealed itself in all of its glory.  The massive Dome ship’s contours reflected the light artistically, despite the ship’s age.  The Tree was a first-generation Mark I Dome Ship.  It had undergone retrofitting of course, but it still showed its age, in its size if nothing else.  Mark I’s were much smaller than their newer, more powerful Mark II brothers

As Ossanlin looked around inside the bay, a pair of Andalites standing near the edge of the gravitational field caught his eyes.  He noted the older male’s belt rank insignia…a War-Prince…and next to the badge, the Captain crescent.  So that was Prince Caseel.  The younger male engaged in conversation with him wore a Prince Lieutenant insignia, and he was gesturing somewhat angrily with one hand.

<My Prince…I must protest.  Swiftblade will suffer!>  The younger male continued to gesture with his hands, his tail held somewhat arched.

<It has already been decided, Prince Lieutenant.  He will be taking the spot left vacant by Coirus.>

<Please, Prince…give me one of Sylvan’s pilots…he can fill in there.>

<I would never break up a complete squadron, Kirion.  That is the end of this discussion…he will be under your command.>  Caseel directed a sharp look at the younger male.

Kirion looked frustrated, as though he wished to say more, but remained silent.  His stalk eyes caught Ossanlin and he directed his main eyes at him, scowling before turning and stalking off in an apparently foul mood.

Caseel sighed to himself before turning his main eyes on Ossanlin.  <Ah, you must be the reputed Ossanlin-Rethin-Sephirel.>

Ossanlin tail-saluted smartly.  <Yes, my Prince.>

<Be at ease, aristh…you aren’t in the Academy anymore.  I merely wanted to meet you.  I have been told that you are a highly-gifted fighter pilot amongst other things.>

Ossanlin relaxed a bit.  <Some people say that, my Prince.  In my own eyes, I am passable.>

Caseel arched his eyes.  <A modest Tail Fighter pilot?  I’m getting too old for unexpected surprises.>  He chuckled a bit.  <The way everyone talks about you, I assumed you’d be ready to conquer the Empire by yourself overnight with your Shredder-hand tied behind your back.>

Ossanlin surprised himself as he spoke.  <Well…not overnight.  I thought perhaps four days...five at most.>  He fell silent, slightly aghast.  One did not make off-hand jokes with his Prince, especially if that one is an aristh.

Instead of reprimand, Caseel laughed deeply.  <I think it might take you a week…maybe more.>  He smiled and Ossanlin’s anxiety dropped another notch.  <Prince Raigar told me to expect…great…things from you.>

Ossanlin stopped dead in his tracks, Caseel coming to a stop next to him as if nothing abrupt or impromptu had happened.  He looked up at his new Prince, whose eyes had turned quite serious.

<<Indeed, Ossanlin.  Your stationing aboard the Tree was no mistake.  Raigar has informed me that you have been apprised of the…situation.  No doubt you have ascertained the truth regarding your recent preferential status.  I am your ally, aristh.>>

Ossanlin nodded before moving forward again.  <<Very well, my Prince.>>

<You have been assigned to Swiftblade squadron as a replacement for Coirus who accepted a promotion to another ship.  They’re a close-knit group, so it might take some time for them to warm up to you, but they’re one of the best current squadrons in the fleet.>

Ossanlin chuckled ruefully.  So…that little conversation had been about him.

Caseel glanced at Ossanlin, but didn’t comment upon his reaction.  <Your ICO will be Prince-Lieutenant Kirian-Mevilir-Harak.  He’s got years under his belt in a Tail Fighter.  He would’ve been promoted long ago if it wasn’t for his desire to stay in the ****pit.  He’s Swiftblade’s Squadron Commander.>

<Yes, my Prince.>

Caseel stopped again, Ossanlin following suit.  <It was good to meet you, aristh.  Now, I have some matters to attend to.  I suggest you board the Tree and get settled in.  Kirian will likely be in the primary docking bay.  It might do some good for you to seek him out.  He’s not in the most sanguine of moods at the moment, but a little outreach on your part might help mitigate his first impressions of you.>

Ossanlin tail-saluted sharply.  <Yes, my Prince.  Thank you.>

Caseel returned the tail-salute in a much more relaxed manner before turning toward the administrative portion of the auxiliary bay.  Ossanlin, in turn, made his way toward one of the ship-ways.  This ship and crew would be his home and family now, and likely for years to come.
[/spoiler]

RAF Silverblade

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 09:35:28 AM »
Alright, Oss's career's takin' off ^_^ And I dunno about OBLIGATED... but I have been writing again. Getting to the point here where there'll be some overlap between Salem's story and Ossanlin's, at least as far as characters and settings are concerned. Ought to be fun.

Salem's Story

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 08:32:55 PM »
Indeed!  ^^  I'm all for overlap!  Could do a miniature sort of "dueling-stories" (y'know...like dueling banjos), showing the same events from both points of view.  Fun, indeed.  ^^

I look forward to hearing more from you!  It's been far too long...   >:(     :P    :D    ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:07:45 PM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »

RAF Silverblade

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 08:46:44 AM »
Ohh, dueling stories sounds fun. Figuring out how events line up will be interesting, since the portion of Salem's story that takes place at the academy is set several years after Ossanlin's graduation.

And yes, I'm working on being less absent from RAF. I've been bad about that lately.

Salem's Story

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »
Ah...well, I guess I'll have to get a bit farther in my stories then.  :p  Just to clear this up, though...how much age difference is between Aetheas and his brother?  The way I made the reference to Sector 9, it would have to be more than ten years between the brothers, because Ossanlin is about ten years older than Aetheas, and Aetheas's brother would've had to have graduated before Ossanlin for that reference to work.  Let me know if I need to change it...I assumed that his brother was just slightly older than Ossanlin...like a year or two.  Let me know!  :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:57:12 PM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »

RAF Silverblade

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Social Staff
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 03:20:21 PM »
Could have sworn I replied to this. Anyway, I've got kind of an ambiguous age difference going between the two at the moment (originally, Aetheas was supposed to be an only child playing both roles, but eventually I realized that there was absolutely no way to make that work time-wise, so Emelen was born). Ten-fourteen years sounds entirely reasonable, I think, since the "Sector Nine" scene already in Salem's story would have taken place around the time of Ossanlin's graduation, or within a few years after, and I figure Emelen is probably at least a few years out of the Academy by then if he's got that kind of autonomy within Sector Seven.

Salem's Story

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 07:34:21 PM »
Been awhile since I posted a chapter, but my attention has been demanded by other things of late.  However, the creative juices have been flowing once again, so here it is.  This chapter is going to be a decently-long one, so I've split it up into two parts.  Beware of CLIFFHANGARS!

[spoiler=Chapter 6:  Death of Innocence - Part I]<..I, Ossanlin-Rethin-Sephirel, Andalite Warrior, offer my life.>  Ossanlin held his tail-blade to his own throat.  He didn’t consider himself an overly-religious andalite, not anymore, but the morning ritual still held some meaning after all.  He would give his life for the People if necessary, that much was certainly true.  He slowly relaxed his posture.

Ossanlin donned his uniform belt and swords as he’d done every morning for the last several years.  He couldn’t help but admire the wide crescent crossing the aristh bar on his belt badge.  Two months…two months an aristh and then the promotion to Warrior.  This would be his first day fulfilling the new rank.  His new quarters seemed like a mansion compared to the aristh dormitories.  He could actually walk around a few steps in his Warrior’s cabin.  And he’d been able to keep the door closed during the morning ritual, instead of performing it with his back end sticking out into the hallway.

He took a deep breath and headed out into the hallway.  A few other Warriors were exiting their quarters, and a few who’d been on-duty during the night-cycle were returning.  Ossanlin’s on-duty shift actually didn’t start for another hour and a half, but he wanted time to perform his exercises and feed in the dome.  He marveled that he might actually be able to complete a few of the exercises within his quarters if he wanted to…but the fresh air would feel much better, even though it wasn’t technically any fresher than that which filled the rest of the ship.

He walked briskly to the dome and navigated the spiral curve of the dome ingress.  The technological engineering was nothing short of impressive to incrementally change the artificial gravity as such, but it still felt odd to Ossanlin.  All artificial gravity did.  The dome was smaller than that of a Mark II Dome Ship, but it was still a sanctuary of trees, grass, and open space.  The white blankness of z-space showed beyond the poly-mesh tran-steel fiber of the dome.  The Mark II’s had holographic systems built into the dome to simulate both day and night cycles of the homeworld sky, but the Tree had been built before that particular innovation.  At least the grass and air were good.

Ossanlin began with stretching exercises as he always did, loosening up the muscles in his legs, arms, tail, and neck.  He began with a basic Tail-Fighter kata in the style Harket, the moves very basic, but very solid.  After several minutes, he flowed into the advanced Iskilion kata, the moves flowing freely and intricately.  Iskilion was by far the most-popular form of Tail Fighting at present…difficult to overcome, even more difficult to master.  Ossanlin’s hearts beat time to his moves as he felt himself loosen.  Finally he drew his blades and began his Ken’kara kata.  His body flowed smoothly and effortlessly, as if dancing to an unheard serenade.  His body and mind were in lock-step, a perfect synchronization that Ossanlin had never felt with any other form of Tail Fighting.  His tail and swords arced gracefully through the air in a deadly whirlwind, his mind focused but relaxed.  This was the purest form of Tail Fighting…Ossanlin had come to that realization.  Even if one were to remove the swords, the moves would be the epitome of deadly grace.  The most-beautiful swan-song an enemy could hope for.

By the time Ossanlin finished, he was breathing hard, but felt good.  Yes, Ken’kara always left his mind sharper and at the same time, more-relaxed…it was almost meditative.  He’d also drawn a few spectators as was usually the case.  Most andalites aboard the Tree found Ossanlin’s Tail Fighting style to be odd at best, but most too agreed that it was also beautiful and deadly.  A few nodded, a couple others bowed, but what shocked Ossanlin was the tail-salute.  No one had ever initiated a tail-salute to him before…but of course…he was a Warrior now, and the salute had come from one of the arisths he’d graduated with.  Ossanlin quickly returned the salute and eye-smiled.  At least a few of his peers didn’t hate him…

The on-lookers broke up afterward and Ossanlin began the more-utilitarian portion of his exercises, using his blades as hand-weights to perform repetitive strength-training moves.  He kept at it for a good half-hour before finally sheathing his blades again.  He trotted to the water well for a quick drink before starting his feeding gallop around the dome.  Fifteen minutes elapsed quickly and Ossanlin returned again to the watering well to drink deeply.  He felt refreshed, full, and charged with energy.  Perhaps the new rank would finally be enough to break through the impenetrable wall that Kirian had erected between Ossanlin and the rest of Swiftblade.

Ossanlin made his way through the central dome ingress and back into the ship proper.  A few arisths saluted him along the way, something he still found disconcerting, until he reached the hangar bays toward the aft section of the ship.  He arrived a few minutes early in front of his fighter’s bay, awaiting Kirian.  The rest of the squadron was already there.  Cool, logic-minded Deknil.  Firy, impulsive Irania.  The ever-friendly Arkani…the only member of Swiftblade to actually treat Ossanlin like a part of the team.  And cavalier, ****y Kirtik, Kirian’s Second.

<I thought you might not show up, Warrior…that tiny sleeping cube is still a lot more comfortable than the aristh cubes.>  Kirtik smiled smugly.  Irania chuckled a little at his joke.

<<Don’t let him get to you, Warrior.  You and I are the same rank now, so we can stand up to him.>>  Arkani’s voice filled Ossanlin’s head with a private thought.  She didn’t betray what she’d said with a smile, but Ossanlin did catch the hint of a wink in one of her stalk eyes.  Arkani was the only other member of Swiftblade to hold Warrior rank.  Deknil, Irania, and Kirtik were all Command Warriors, and Kirian himself was, of course, a Prince Lieutenant.

Females were becoming a more-common sight in the military, though few were seen outside the tail-fighter hangars.  No one could deny the results achieved by one Enorryma-Almoress-Ingrell, not even the Electorate.  Female tail-fighter pilots were becoming much more common, though two in the same squadron was still quite rare.

Ossanlin assumed that the only reason Arkani hadn’t been recommended for a promotion was that she didn’t worship the ground Kirian walked on, like the others did.  Just as on-duty hit, Kirian strolled out of the access-way to stand in front of Ossanlin and the others, all lined up in front of their ships.  Each member rolled off his or her ready-call before it finally fell to Ossanlin.  <Warrior Ossanlin-Rethin-Sephirel reporting for duty, Commander.>

<Ah…so odd to hear your name without the rank of aristh attached to it…Warrior.>  Kirian smiled before running through the morning training routine.  Ossanlin kept himself from bristling…his ICO hurled verbal barbs at him like Tail Blade strikes against which he was allowed neither to defend nor retaliate.  He had hoped the resentment would end once he left the Academy…that no matter what, the person who stood next to you was your brother or sister out here in the black and the white.  But Ossanlin had felt nothing but jabs and belittlements from his ICO.

<We’ll be practicing the five-ship Markel formation today.  Get your fighters prepped and ready.  We launch in thirty standard minutes.>  Kirian eye-smiled at Ossanlin before turning toward his own fighter bay.

Ossanlin took deep, calming breaths.  Five-ship exercises…those designed for when a squadron had lost a ship, or wanted to hold one in reserve.  Five-ship exercises that Swiftblade had not practiced more than a few times before Ossanlin’s arrival two months ago.  Five-ship exercises that currently constituted the entirety of Swiftblade’s practice regimen since Ossanlin’s arrival.  And there was no doubt about who the “reserve” ship would be.

<Prince-Lieutenant, I volunteer to hold the reserve position today.>  All four of Ossanlin’s eyes widened as Arkani spoke up unexpectedly.

Kirian halted for a moment, losing his swagger, almost sputtering mentally before speaking up again.  <Nonsense, Warrior…I need you on the left flank.  No one performs better there than you.>

<Perhaps so, Prince-Lieutenant, but that only means that I do not require the practice, sir.>  Arkani eye-smiled openly.

<Warrior, you will hold the left flank.>  Kirian’s tone sounded annoyed.  <The aristh…Ossanlin…will hold the reserve position.  He’s the prodigy after all…who better to swoop in and save us all?>  Kirian chuckled to himself and resumed his trot toward his own fighter bay.  Arkani frowned at his back and glanced at Ossanlin apologetically.  Ossanlin smiled sadly at her in silent thanks.

The yaolin-spawn didn’t even correct himself and use the proper rank to identify him.  Ossanlin once again took deep, calming breaths.  This was merely another trial to push through.  And he would not allow his resolve to be broken, that was obviously Kirian’s most-fervent desire.  Instead he retreated to his own fighter bay, tending to his ship.  That was one thing Kirian couldn’t take from him.  Ossanlin’s fighter was always pristine and ready to go, even though it barely saw use beyond launch and landing.  Ossanlin meticulously combed through the pre-flight checklist, testing each component of his fighter inside and out.  Five minutes prior to launch, he entered the ****pit and started the engine warm-up sequence, activating the fighter’s restraint field.

The Tree had exited Z-Space some time ago, when Ossanlin had been walking from the dome to the hangars.  The bay doors opened on the starboard side of the hangar, showing white-flecked black outside the blue-tinted shield in front of Ossanlin’s fighter.  The space outside would be the Omega line…the imaginary boundary between Yeerk and Andalite space.  The Omega line was never constant, and was better-defined as a territory or zone rather than a single line.  Yeerk and Andalite craft both patrolled the area, and most fighting occurred within this hotspot.  The Tree, however, was holding close to the Andalite-side of the zone within visual range of the nearby Ghostwall station…no Yeerks should be so close without at least some warning from the Andalite sensor relay network cast throughout the Omega line.

Ossanlin’s squad-comm crackled to life.  <Swiftblade, deployment in one minute standard.  Prep your shields for magnetic catapult.>  Ossanlin did as instructed, his fighter ready for hot-launch.  Just as the launch window approached, a klaxon rang out in the hangar bay, Ossanlin’s ARC popping up a prompt in front of his right eye.  A moment later, a full-ship communication rang through his head.  <All personnel, battle-ready.  I repeat, all personnel, battle-ready.>

Ossanlin glanced at his readouts, but they were unnecessary as multiple flashes of light near Ghostwall announced the arrival of several ships…Yeerk ships.

<Swiftblade, deploy, deploy, deploy!>  Kirian shouted over squad-comm.  Ossanlin punched the magnetic catapult and his fighter’s engines lit up as the Tree propelled him hard out into space.  Ossanlin began to dial up a burn on his engines when he heard Kirian over squad-comm.

<Hold at the Tree, Ossanlin.  This is real and we can’t afford to young-watch today.  Swiftblade, Keskirn formation maximum burn.>  Ossanlin dialed his engines back and watched impotently as the engines of his squad-mates’ fighters burned a bright blue and shot off toward Ghostwall and the incoming Yeerk ships.  Ossanlin too was forced to watch other squadrons of Tail Fighters launch out of their bays, falling into six-ship formations before rocketing toward battle.  Very soon, Ossanlin felt alone…the lone fighter holding at the Tree.  That was silly of course, there was still a squad of Tail Fighters being held in reserve for home-ship defense, but that did nothing to help the worthless feeling welling up inside Ossanlin.

Ossanlin’s ARC and fighter issued a brief warning before the locking-clamps on the Tree began to disengage.  Soon, the dome jetted free of the Tree and the whole ship began to turn and move toward Ghostwall Station.  Ossanlin moved in lockstep with the Tree…the fighters had nearly reached engagement distance with the Yeerk ships.  Ossanlin furrowed his brow.  There were a lot of Yeerk ships here…enough to destroy Ghostwall without worry.  How had so many slipped past the Omega Line early warning system?  Any unauthorized ships would’ve lit up the entire grid.  One or two ships might be able to get this far with a good dose of luck, but certainly not this many.  Any at all was already stretching the limits of probability.

<I don’t like this…something doesn’t make sense.>  Ossanlin speaks to himself without activating his comm.  What were the possible explanations?  Had the Yeerks found a technology to thwart Andalite detection?  But if that were the case, why ruin their element of surprise with Ghostwall?  There were so many other more-profitable targets the Yeerks could hit in such a situation.  Was some of the Ghostwall network dark?  That was unlikely…after all, Ghostwall had not reported any issues.  The graviton generators spread throughout the Andalite sector of the Omega Line effectively prevented ships from bypassing the line via Z-Space.  So what then?  Those ships had come out of Z-Space.  That shouldn’t be possible here unless…unless the Yeerks had obtained the secure graviton beacon codes!  There was a different set of codes for the beacons around each defended system…one set would not help with any other location.  If the Yeerks had obtained the Omega Line codes, this was the highest-priority target they could strike using that advantage.

Ossanlin’s fighter canopy polarized itself as the Tree discharged its massive primary weapon.  The hyper-energized beam punched through the shields and hull of one destroyer-class vessel and carried enough energy to punch through neighboring frigate’s shields as well before dissipating.  Then things went crazy.  The Tree launched her personal defense fighter squadron as several of the Yeerk vessels turned to make their way toward her.  There were so many ships…so many fighters.

<Deknil stay on me!>  <That would be easier if you weren’t so erratic, Irania.>  <Kirtik, on my six!>  <I’m here, Prince.>  Ossanlin’s squad-comm echoed with battle commands.  Swiftblade’s formation had been broken…Deknil and Irania were working together, and Kirtik and Kirian.  But Arkani…

<I…I can’t…shake them!  I can’t shake them!>  Ossanlin sent a command to his ARC to highlight Arkani’s fighter.  It glowed bright yellow in the maelstrom.  She was all alone with two bugs on her!  Ossanlin furrowed is brow before shaking his head once and punching up a maximum burn.

Ossanlin’s fighter rocketed forward from the Tree’s position.  Three swarms of bugs were between him and Arkani, but their goal was the Tree.  Still…

Ossanlin dodged and performed a swift barrel-roll as two bugs fired at him head-on.  He discharged his own Shredders and blasted one of them square in the central viewer, the bug exploding in a reddish haze.  Ossanlin punched his fighter straight through the middle of the debris cloud, still set for maximum burn.

<Arkani, we can’t get to you.>  That had been Deknil’s voice.  <Yaolin, Kirtik, don’t leave my tail open!>  Kirian…so, Kirtik had wanted to break away to try and help Arkani…what little respect Ossanlin had for “Prince” Kirian evaporated like a dingy mud-hole on the Ortak plains during the drought season.  The squad-commander of Swiftblade cared more for his own back-end than he did for the life of one of his squad-members.

Ossanlin’s push through the debris cloud of the decimated bug fighter bought him the distraction he needed and his maximum burn carried him beyond range of the rest of the bug fighters before they knew he was gone.  As he’d suspected, none of the bugs pursued him...he wasn’t their objective.  It barely even crossed his mind that he was blooded now…he’d actually killed a Yeerk and downed a fighter.  Usually this was hailed as a rite of passage for young pilots, but Ossanlin had no time for celebrations.

Arkani was dodging and weaving for all she was worth.  It was an impressive display of skill, but she wouldn’t be able to outmaneuver two bug fighters so intent upon a lone Tail Fighter.  It would be over soon unless Ossanlin could get there.  He willed his fighter to go faster, to push everything into thrust capacity.  Whether the fighter sped up or not, he couldn’t say…maximum burn was called “maximum” for a reason, but his desperation was growing.

<Yaolin!>  One of the bugs landed a glancing blow on Arkani’s fighter.  She’d be done soon.  Suddenly Ossanlin’s computer indicated effective distance with a green light on the cannon controls.  He discharged his primary Shredder, the intense blue beam lancing forward to impact the port nacelle of the bug fighter nearest to him.  The fighter sputtered a couple of times and then exploded, ripping apart in space.

<What?!>  Arkani’s tone was both surprised and relieved.  Ossanlin rocketed past her, the other bug veering off-target with the unexpected explosion of its wingman.

<Got your tail Arkani.>  Ossanlin finally spoke over squad-comm.

Kirian’s voice exploded over squad-comm.  <What in yaolin are you doing aristh?!  Get back to the Tree immediately!>

Ossanlin rolled around and got the second bug in his sites.  He discharged again, the blue beams punching into the ****pit of the Yeerk fighter.  It didn’t explode, but its occupant was surely deceased from either burns or ****pit evacuation.

<I’m swooping in and saving you, Prince.  And I’d appreciate it if you used my appropriate rank when addressing me.>  Ossanlin just barely managed to keep the sneer out of his tone.  Calmness…coolness.  These were most-effective in nearly all situations.  This one was no different.

<Thank you, Ossanlin.  I owe you my life.>  Arkani spoke firmly over squad-comm.

<We’re a team.  That means we look out for each other.>  Ossanlin said in general.

<Well-said.>  That had been Deknil.

<I guess I underestimated you, Warrior.>  That had been Kirtik of all people.

<I respect someone who can fry Yeerks like that.  Welcome to the team, Ossanlin.>  That had been Irania.

The silence from Kirian was almost palpable.  Ossanlin could only imagine the Prince seething in his ****pit.  Just like that, Ossanlin felt the kinship with the rest of the squad that he’d been missing this whole time.  Well, the rest of the squad except his commander of course.

Ossanlin smiled to himself as he tried to form up as Arkani’s wingman, but his fellow Warrior dropped back a bit, forming up on his wing.  <You already saved my tail, now it’s my turn to watch yours.  Let’s go fry those yaolin-spawn.>

Ossanlin raised his eyebrows, but didn’t protest.  He made for one of the destroyers and began to knock down its energy shielding, Arkani following suit.  Deknil and Irania joined them.  But something still bothered Ossanlin about the situation.  Something just felt wrong to him, as if he was missing something important.  Then he realized…none of the Yeerk ships had fired on Ghostwall.  If their objective was to destroy the station, why were they holding back?  Unless…

Honornet!  The Yeerks weren’t trying to destroy Ghostwall, they were trying to capture it!  If they’d gotten their slimy palps on Honornet codes, they could hack the encrypted Andalite communication network if they took the station.  Armada placements, battle-plans, the entire Andalite military campaign!  They’d be able to get it all…including real-time communications and defense codes for the Alpha line.

But just as quickly as Ossanlin had developed his hypothesis, it was shattered as the remaining Yeerk Armada that hadn’t broken off after the Tree opened fire on Ghostwall.  But why had they waited so long?  Ghostwall’s defense systems automatically responded as Shredder-fire lanced out from the station.

Ossanlin’s, Arkani’s, Deknil’s, and Irania’s joint efforts withered the destroyer’s shields and Ossanlin began to pick the ship apart, destroying its Dracon cannon and engines before the ship began to explode from the inside out.  Its core hadn’t nova’d but nonetheless the ship was blowing itself apart.  Ossanlin furrowed his brow.  That shouldn’t have happened.  He still had the nagging sensation that he was missing something at the back of his mind.

Ossanlin’s fighter beeped a warning as it picked up Selyron radiation emanating from the destroyer’s wreckage.  That was abnormal…Selyron radiation could permeate energy shielding, but it wasn’t dangerous to biological life.  Its only useful property was its transponder-enhancing qualities…Ossanlin’s eyes shot wide open.  He trained his fighter’s sensors at Ghostwall, scanning for Selyron radiation.  The station’s shields were all but inundated by a haze of the stuff!  Ossanlin watched closely as a dracon impacted the station’s shields…a small burst of Selyron radiation splashed outward from the point of contact!  The dracon blasts were concealing small Selyron-bearing projectiles!  They were after Honornet!  But they weren’t going to board the station…they were going to hack it remotely!

Ossanlin’s mind raced at light-speed.  How could they pull it off?  How far had they gotten?  Was it too late?  What could Ossanin do to stop it?  What would the Yeerks need?  The Selyron wouldn’t be enough…they would need some sort of transponder array.  It was the only way they’d be able to project a signal of sufficient strength.  Such an array wouldn’t be small…it would have to be the size of a ship by itself.  Ossanlin scanned the Yeerk fleet, but saw no sign of an unidentified craft.  But then, the array wouldn’t have to be as close as the ships.  In fact…

Ossanlin turned his ship toward the very nearby Orrin field…the unique planetoid field that filled most of the Omega line.

<Ossanlin…>  Arkani spoke over squad-comm.

<Running away, Warrior?  I knew you were never cut out to be a Swiftblade.>  Kirian injected his tone with as much derision and disdain as he could.  It had been quite some time since the Princ-Lieutenant had spoken up over squad-comm.

<Trust me, Arkani…scan for any abnormal ships or craft as well as rich-band transponder signals…the Yeerks are trying to hack Ghostwall and access Honornet.>  Ossanlin punched up a maximum burn and began an extensive sensor sweep of the planetoid field.  He also hailed the Tree on priority frequency.

His personal transponder crackled to life.  <Warrior, this had better be an emergency…we’re in the middle of a battle...>  Prince Caseel’s voice echoed through Ossanlin’s head.

<Sir, the Dracon blasts directed toward Ghostwall are concealing projectiles which are inundating the station’s shields with Selyron radiation.  I believe that the Yeerks are in possession of current Honornet codes and they mean to hack into Ghostwall station remotely in order to gain access.  Arkani and I are scanning the Orrin field for the transponder array.>

There was silence from Caseel for a few moments before a muted ejection of surprise.  <Our scans do show the Selyron buildup.  Ossanlin…how did you…?>

<While the others were fighting, I had some time to ponder, my Prince.  It was the only explanation I could come up with that seemed to make sense.>  Ossanlin rounded one of the planetoids but still nothing showed on his sensors.

<Warrior, the Tree is picking up a rich-band transponder signal of respectable strength.  Its projected origin is 323.8 by 287.5 by 56.1.  I’m dispatching two squadrons, but everyone else is much further away than you, not to mention currently engaged.  If you’re right, Warrior…there’s no telling how far they’ve gotten, or how long it will be.  If they gain access to Honornet…>  Caseel let the implications hang in open air.

<I know, my Prince.  You can count on us.>  Ossanlin kept the communication with the Tree open.  Caseel would want confirmation.  He turned his fighter on a heading that would take him to the coordinates that the Prince had specified.

As Ossanlin rounded the next planetoid, his transponder scans went off the charts…and there it was.  A large Yeerkish freighter.  Not only that, there were two squadrons of bug fighters patrolling.  No doubt, they already knew that Ossanlin and Arkani were there.  <Prince…confirmed target at coordinates 323.9 by 287.5 by 55.9.  Yeerkish freighter and two squads of bug fi…>  Ossanlin fell silent as a Blade Ship disengaged its camouflage device, and he felt his hearts drop into his hooves.

<Ossanlin?  Ossanlin, report!>  Caseel’s voice echoed over Ossanlin’s personal communicator.

<Two squadrons of bug fighters…and a Blade Ship, my Prince.>[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:13:57 PM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »

RAF Silverblade