Author Topic: The secret life of the American superhero  (Read 5171 times)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
Re: The secret life of the American superhero
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 12:51:57 PM »
Lol, you do a great job, if Yatzee/Adams is what you're going for.  I can almost automatically hear your chapters being read in Yatzee's voice, that's how close the humor style is.  Had me laughing out (very) loud a couple times at that last chapter.  All the motivation and courage of an obese squirrel, yep, I know the feeling, lol.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 12:00:39 AM »
 Great Oak High is almost stereotypical in just how pretentious everyone is. It follows the perfect Hollywood design. You have popular kids, known for either a trophy they earned or the wild parties they throw. There are the mid level normals who keep their heads down and hand in pockets for fear of actually being noticed. The bottom of the chain is where freaks geeks and outcasts lie. The least organized, most fun social clique you can be in. Say what you will about nerds and social outcasts, but band camp is where one truly becomes a man.

In the great pyramid that is high school I am the speaking voice of the marching band. The kind of guy who can get an entire brass section into one spot with a single group text. The power is tempting, but I try to control myself when I can. My best friend is a Mr. Mark Lincoln, the man single handedly responsible for the yearly Shakespeare in the Park play. The boy who has been by my side every second of awkward that is my life. The only person on this planet who knows about my powers.

"So" snicker "Tell me this again" He said in a laughing fit. "You tried to stop a robbery?" I was really getting pissed at him. Especially since he was still in Macbeth costume. Tights are irritating. I sighed. "Yep. I tried to use my mother****ing superhuman powers  to do a little bit of good, and was outdone by an overweight cashier. Are we going to move past this now?" He was still laughing when he said "Not until I get that scene tattooed across my eyelids so that I will remember this every time I wake up." So I punched him in the arm. "Let's go for a burger. Rare Beef sounds good."
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 08:24:46 PM »
Wow. Sounds like something my bff's IRL would do.
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 12:13:33 AM »
 Rare Beef is the closest we have to a teen hangout. It's a food truck that serves hamburgers a block away from central park. Good burgers to, the best imitation angus beef you can get, cooked to perfection and smothered in what the owner calls "nasty sauce." Get a Rare Burger with a side of onion rings and their locally famous shakes, and you have yourself a delicious lunch and a clogged artery. The perfect thing for when your metabolism converts grease to pimples instead of fat.

Mark and I chose our usual spot, a park bench with a great view of the skate park and the girls cross country practice. We started with the usual pointless chatter of local gossip, video games, and exchanged insults before the conversation took it's usual turn to the subject of my powers. "So," He said before filling his mouth beyond maximum capacity, yet still pronouncing every word like a practiced linguistic professor. "What are your plans?" I knew what he was talking about. "Plans for what Mark?" Barely a question. "I mean what do you want to do with the fact that you have abilities most people can barely dream of." Well that was a statement that took some thought. "I honestly don't know. I mean, for a while I've been hoping the plan wouldn't change. Work through high school, get a Masters in engineering, go into IT at a starting salary of fifty thousand a year, meet a women, get married, have three beautiful blonde children, and have my brain transferred into a robot body."

He gave me a look. "We really need to update your life plan. When did you come up with that?" I swallowed a bite of onion ring. "Fourth grade, one of my more insightful periods I think." All he could do was shake his head. "Man, you lack vision. You could do something really big. Something that would get you remembered." "Or killed." I muttered. "Every hero has to take a risk. What if I'm the one that doesn't make it. The cautionary tales for flying babies and toddlers that spit fire. 'Don't step in front of death lasers Ryan Shang, nothing left of him but a pile of ash." My response actually seemed to be getting him angry. "Can't you think about anything but your own butt? There are people that need help. Superpowered criminals tend to skew the murder rate pretty well Ryan. I mean it's not like you need to start big. Do some local heroism. Build your name up."

Just then a bus full of schoolchildren careened past me towards a populated part of the park.   
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 01:31:55 AM »
This is great. Thanks for the update!