Author Topic: First Flight  (Read 10026 times)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
Re: First Flight
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 06:57:40 PM »
That's really good. I like where this is going!!
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 10:12:29 PM »
Thanks, Abby!

And yes, Underseen, I know. ;)
[spoiler]It ain't over until the last ball is bowled, I always say.[/spoiler]

Can't post now, I'm doing this from my phone.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 05:42:28 AM »
Nice chapter. I like that you have a definite and unique writing style, Saffa.

And congratulations on getting to the second page!

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
Thanks, Cloaky! Coming from you that's awesome, since I'm the one who's been singing praises of Memoirs all this while. :)

New chapter! Bit of a parody on the opening of Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, really. :D And here's where my RAFsona really comes into play.

Chapter Four

Rose taught Austin how to use the shredder as they quietly made their way, unnoticed by the bopping, getting-totally-wasted crowd, to the back of the wedding hall. She also explained her other very handy power to him – altering her features, or her height, or her build, so she would look like someone else; a bit like the ingrained ability of the Morphamagi. She turned from a short, bespectacled brunette to a tall, willowy blonde as she talked.

“The only problem is that your clothes don’t adjust to your new fit. But hey, we were pretty weird to begin with,” she said.

“It doesn’t seem so weird, now that I see it happening,” Austin commented.

<Yeah, well, you’re pretty broadminded, which is good,> Saffa said from the air. <Ahh. There’s our lovely couple. Hawk eyes aren’t much use at night, but I can make them out from the kitchen lights.>

The back of the kitchen, and thus the trash area, opened out into the street behind the hall, a mostly residential one. Austin and Rose hid in the bushes of someone’s garden while Saffa ghosted over them, all of them watching the subjects with utmost attention.

“Okay, they look like they’re leaving. Time for me to spring into action,” Rose said. She slowly crept out from behind the bush, and walked calmly across the street, making it look like she had come from the house opposite.

She calmly stepped up to Mrs. Bennett, like Marco had done at Ocean World in #15: The Escape, flashing a big, toothy, airhead grin. “Hi. Do you know where I could find a phone booth around here? I’m new to the country, you see.”

Long Black Coat came up to her. “You shouldn’t really be walking around alone out here at this time of night.”

“Yeah, well, you see, that’s the thing, I’m lost,” Rose whined. “So I really, really need a phone…”

“Look here, young lady…” Mrs. Bennett began.

The silence of the night was suddenly pierced by the shriek of a raptor.

“Tseeeeer!”

Saffa glided out of the dark like a bat out of hell, and streaked across Long Black Coat at a speed she never knew she possessed.

“AAAAHH!” he yelled, clutching his face. He turned to Mrs. Bennett. “That’s her! GET THAT BIRD!”

Mrs. Bennett stared up at the sky. “I’m coming for you,” she said. “You think I can’t see you, do you, now…”

The three teenagers watched in horror as Mrs. Bennett’s long, dumpy dress began to stick to her skin and turn leathery. Her tortoiseshell specs froze to rings on her now-leathery face. She began to contort, elongate, and grow a thin tail with dozens of sharp spikes on the end.

“Okay. The lady always gave me the creeps. Now I know why,” Austin muttered to himself.

As if that wasn’t enough, two giant, pterodactyl-like wings unfurled from Mrs. Bennett’s back, half leather, half covered in thick feathers.

Saffa was right above the transforming Mrs. Bennett (couldn’t really call her that now), watching her new form grow and grow till she was the size of an advertisement hoarding. She had a rather ridiculous face, pointed like a bespectacled feline. <Whoever the noob is who dreamed this up, he’s been watching too many cat videos.>

The creature suddenly looked right up at her! The blood-red eyes could apparently see very well in the dark. It smiled a grotesque smile. “Gotcha.” Its voice was like someone choking on paper.

A long, vicious tongue shot out right in Saffa’s direction, who immediately banked left, taken completely by surprise. She angled her tail to soar behind the monster – but nearly got impaled by its tail.

“Watch it!” Rose yelled. And caught a movement in the distance. Long Black Coat was leaving… very slowly. Like he didn’t want to miss the entertainment. She’d take care of him later.

“Who’s there?” the paper voice shrieked. Its missile of a tongue shot out at thin air. “Show yourself!”

“Oh, yuck, that’s beyond gross,” Rose hissed. “Saffa! That tongue. It’s covered in extremely sticky gunk. Like Fevi-kwik sticky. And it burns, slowly.”

<What’ve you got there, a Pokedex?!>

“No! Got some on my hand – whoa!” Rose dived right and fell flat in the mud, narrowly missing the spiked tail.

The… thing… decided not to stay on the ground any longer, and flapped its giant wings and powered itself into the air, covering much more distance in a second than Saffa could in ten, even with only dead night air to work with.

Saffa realized that even though she was in bird mode, her hawk form would not be of much help then. She reverted to her human form – but controlled the demorph, keeping her wings. She had done this quite a few times before, keeping her bones hollow enough to enable the large wings to fly and get a fair bit of drift in the air. If Cassie could do it, why couldn’t she?

“Your puny human form is only going to hurt you!” the creature jeered. “Perhaps if you give me what I want, I can make your end less – AAAAAHH!” it shrieked as Saffa flung a diamond into its back.

Her best weapon, and certainly her strangest, on for show now. She fired another round of thick, pointed, needle-like stones which caught the thing in its right leg. Saffa was ready for another round – but a swipe of the thing’s tongue caught her in mid-flight.

“Oh, yuck!

“Good-girls-don’t-throw-rocks!” the creature chanted.

Saffa could feel the saliva sticking to her wings like superglue. She couldn’t flap them however hard she tried. So she did the only sensible thing she could think of: demorph.

“You’re gonna crash!” Rose cried. Aaargh – there must be something she could do!

Just before she crashed into it, Saffa grabbed a branch in a tree and held onto it for dear life, fully human now. The creature hovered close and flew toward her, swinging its tail.

“I have you, now.

Rose had run back to the trash area, looking for something useful. Trash, trash, more trash, broken plates…

She looked in the adjoining tool-shed and found garden tools, pipes, hoses, bottles of cleaning fluid plus two closed vats with taps attached, to pour the contents out or attach a tube. One was full of phenyl. The other contained a rather foul-smelling substance, with the words WARNING ACID FOR CLEANING USE ONLY printed on the front.

“This must be what they use to clean the floors and sinks and things with, I’ve seen Dad do it,” Rose mused. “Hm. I have an insane idea. Capable, maybe. But still insane.”

She began to push the acid vat outside the trash area – just as she saw Saffa shrinking in her tree.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 10:04:50 AM »
Nice work, and don't worry about things being a bit of a direct parody (I mean, I've been guilty of it more times than not).

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 10:16:31 AM »
Yeah, you are pretty much RAF's Parody Boss. :D

Will see if I can squeeze in another chapter... ah, why not. Short one for my standards. Probably be the last today, so that Abby and Underseen can catch up.

Chapter Five

Saffa felt the changes begin.

She began to shrink, ever so rapidly, as her body jointed into three sections: head, thorax and abdomen.

Legs sprouted in all directions, and two stick-like features protruded from her face – a proboscis.

Turning into a fly was gross. Turning into one covered in monster Fevicol spittle? It needed a new dictionary definition.

Saffa decided to concentrate on the fly instead. Her face bulged out to form two large compound eyes, and gossamer wings sprouted from her back. If Austin could see me now! She had to let go of the tree branch to be able to finish morphing, but by the time she hit the mud she was very small and three-quarters fly, so there wasn’t much impact.

Finally, the morph was complete. She was a half-inch-long fly – and it was the right morph, for her size meant the huge clumps of sticky saliva no longer clung to her.

<Waheyy! I’m free!>

“But how – WHERE ARE YOU?” the creature roared. “This is not a fair game, I tell you!”

Saffa ignored the whine and flew towards what she could make out as the faint light of the trash area. <Rose! Rose, I’m a fly right now. Where the heck are you?>

“Near the trash!” Rose called out softly. “I think the fly can get you there!”

A fly will be a fly, and its craving for sweet, wonderful trash got Saffa to Rose quick enough. She began to demorph. <Hawk or human?>

“Human. I need the wine thing you do, or this acid won’t fly.”

Saffa remembered a party trick she had done sometime back in RAF, holding a glass and filling it with sparkling white wine from Stellenbosch in South Africa. She didn’t see how it would hurt the creature – until Rose outlined her insane yet genius idea.

“The space up there is not exactly on rent, you know. I occupy it sometimes,” Rose said, pointing to her forehead.

Then – WHAP! A sudden swipe of the spiked tail!

“Aaargh!” Saffa looked at her left hand. It was gashed in several places – not too deep, but pretty bad. The girls ducked as the tail swung about them again.

“That tail!” Rose hissed. “If we could get it out the way, it’ll lose balance and possibly fall to the – “

TSEEEWW!!

“– ground?!”

Saffa looked up to see the thing’s tail on the ground, slashed clean off its body – and about twenty metres behind it was Austin, shredder positioned and ready to fire again.
The creature howled, a noise so loud and jarring it made all three of them buckle and cover their ears in pain. “You dare – ordinary mortal!” It turned straight on Austin.

“Austin! MOVE!” Saffa yelled.

WHAP! Out flicked the tongue.

TSEEEWW!!

He missed the tongue, but burned a hole in a wing. The creature crashed to the ground and bellowed again.

“I swear, more than its tongue or tail, it’s the vocal cords that do real damage,” Saffa grumbled.

In the meantime, Rose had attached a garden hose to the mouth of the tap affixed to the vat of acid. She handed it to Saffa. “I’m opening it on the count of three. One – “

Austin dived as the tongue swiped at him again – and this time it caught him on the right leg. “Aaaahh!”

“Oh, what the hell. THREE!” Rose yelled. She jerked open the tap and crossed her fingers. Saffa focused on green, sun-kissed vineyards instead.

WHOOOSH!

A torrent of wine, permeated by cleaning acid, exploded through the hose at such a force it threw Saffa backwards, but she got back up and aimed it at the creature.

“AAAAAHH!!” The caustic liquid was working! It began to eat into the leather skin. Austin seized the opportune moment to fire right into the creature’s face.

TSEEEWW!!

The creature howled its loudest howl, and then sank to the ground in a crumpled heap. The wine stopped. The three teenagers walked up to the mass that a long, long, time ago had been their office coordinator. Although seeing as she had just tried to kill them, they felt she had probably deserved it anyway. Besides, she wasn’t even really Mrs. Bennett.

“Is it…?” Rose whispered.

The creature stirred – but only briefly, as Saffa hurled a Kimberley special into its chest. It stopped, then dissolved, like water running down a sink. Like any other escaped manifestation from the virtual side. Unlike Saffa, who was flesh, blood and something more. She shrugged. “Gone.”

“What about the other guy?” Austin said.

“Oh, I know where he’s gone,” Rose said. “And I’m going after him. To get some answers. You two best be gone and pretend like nothing ever happened.”

“Well, okay, then. But watch yourself,” Saffa urged.

Rose took the shredder from Austin. “I will.”

She walked down the road, turned into a blind alley between two apartment buildings, and melted into the darkness.

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 12:51:52 PM »
This is amazing. I love it!! You don't have to wait for me to catch up. I will, no matter how man chapters you have.
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »
Haha I was worried about that, seeing as my writing just flows and I end up with pretty long chapters.
So here's the latest chapter. Rose in the spotlight here, showing off her awesomeness. ;)

Chapter Six

Rose streaked silently down the dark alleyway, thinking of epic horror-movie scenes involving said dark alleyway to take her mind off things. Yes, she was invisible, but she didn’t know if the man she was tailing possessed some weapon, or technology, of his own. A portable force-field? A concealed Dracon beam/shredder? Another monstrous thing waiting in the alley?

Who knew? With RAF in the equation, just about the weirdest things were possible.*

She decided to risk it, with a distance of about ten metres separating them. “I know you are here. Do not attempt to escape, instead tell me why you are here,” she said in a soft whisper. “Tell me and I will not harm you.”

Long Black Coat spun around. He looked around in several directions before smiling and saying, “I wonder how you can harm me as an insect in the dark, Andalite.”

Andalite?! Rose rubbed her hands in glee. Well, we’re off to a great start. Might as well keep the act up.

“That is immaterial. I could demorph and then you will be in trouble, human.” If he thinks this is thought-speak, well, he’s a total idiot. “I heard your conversation with the human female earlier.”

“Ah, yes. Alice was extremely helpful. I found her on RAF, you see – “

“How do you know of RAF?”

“Oh, be patient, Andalite, and hear my story to the end. Anyway, she is the one who zeroed in on Saffa, at the school. She enrolled in a vacant post at the school, just to make sure it was the right girl, and she did. Tell your friend not to leave hawk feathers lying around near her locker.”

Rose stiffened. “That still does not explain your association with RAF.”

“Oh, my connection to RAF goes back longer than this. But I will stick to the present. I know the Internet’s power. I know of the existence of sites on their own as domains in the universe – “

“You know a lot for a human.”

“You are not the only highly intelligent beings around, you know,” he said impatiently. “Anyway, where was I? Ah, yes. Domains. Well, I know all this, so naturally I heard of the RAF anomaly. A most curious thing.”

“Go on.”

“How could a bunch of innocuous users create a domain more prominent than even Facebook or Twitter? I needed to know. So I hacked the account of one of the newer users and entered the domain, thanks to the virtual teleport technology they possess. I was what they call a ‘lurker’. I did quite some wandering, oh yes. That’s how I found Alice. That’s how I learned a lot, including facts about your race and several others. But I still could not put my finger on the reason behind the forum’s prominence.”

“And why do you desperately seek this information?”

“You Andalites will never understand humans completely, will you? These days, they depend on the Internet as much as they do on food and water. Any little thing said on a major global platform, a tweet, say, is taken as God’s word – “

“What is a tweet?” Oh, yeah, I’m enjoying this!

The man grunted. “They bring news to humans, simply put. From major world issues to mundane celebrity gossip. But the way they are relied upon – now that, I can use to my advantage.”

“As in – “

“By creating a super-powerful domain of my own, I can override others, glitch to them with considerable ease like the RAFians. Create innocent posts and tweets, bits of news here and there, and no one will be able to stop me, I’ll have blocked them by then. Just think.” He paused, possibly for effect. “One little change and the world will be thrown upside down. I can play around with it – there isn’t much action in the world these days.”

“So. You want to be the virtual Ellimist. And what makes you think this idiotic plan will succeed? RAF will get you first, and they are more powerful than you think.”
“Oh, I know how powerful they are, all right,” he snarled. “Including your little birdie friend.”

“That brings me to the question: why have you come here, after Saffa? You can get what you want from any RAFian.”

“That is true. But Saffa makes an easier target, isolated in India, at least while she is away from RAF. And besides, as far as she is concerned, our work with her is not over. Aah, you can get me – us – once, but not all the time…”

That startled Rose. “You’ve met her before?”

He smiled. “Yes and no,” he said enigmatically. “If you know anything about her life history, well, good for you. I suggest you leave it alone, no need to dwell on the past.”
“Oh, I am focusing on the present. And the present is finishing you.”

“Excellent dialogue, Andalite. Right out of a Hollywood pulp thriller – and I hope you know what Hollywood is, because I’ve got one of my own.” He paused for effect again.
“You’ll have to find me first. And then…”

He laughed, a rather mediocre attempt at an evil laugh, Rose noted. Tch tch.

“And then you’ll have to try and stop me.”

With that, he turned on his heel and vanished into the darkness.

Rose fled from the alley. She had heard quite enough.

* - ;)

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 12:46:27 PM »
I love this. You hav such a unique writing style. ;)
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 04:55:29 PM »
These are so satisfying. With the quirky humor and all.
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »
Jeez, thanks! You can tell that to the girls in my old class who think I'm nice yet bloody boring!  ::) Ah well, school's over now. No need to waste time thinking about them. And you don't need to bother with my rant... because here's the next chapter!

Chapter Seven

Austin washed the sticky creature yuck off his pant leg while Saffa changed back into her formals from her morphing outfit in the ladies’ room. She sighed. It was one thing, living a life as a part-hawk-part-human RAFian in a bizarrely normal world, but as awesome as it was, it had its fair share of danger, and it wasn’t fair to drag a completely innocent person into it all.

Still, Austin had accepted it all pretty readily. But could he be trusted? As much as her heart ached to think of him that way, she had learned from experience that trust was a fragile thing unless you were completely sure – and for those like her, trust was a matter of survival.

The drinks had flowed freely during and after the dance session, like in any Anglo-Indian party, so no one had really noticed the absence of two of the guests, or that Saffa’s arm was bandaged with tissue paper. It also helped that Austin’s parents were not attending, still on duty with the Indian Army up in Kashmir.

“It’s almost too coincidental,” Austin said when Saffa pointed it out.

Saffa couldn’t help thinking of the Ellimist. “Yeah, well, either it all worked out well or someone is pulling strings.”

They left shortly after, and caught up with Rose, who decided to tell them everything the next day, just before lunch at the school’s church. They made it back to school without any major hassles, not even arousing the suspicions of the watchman.

“And you said you’d get bored,” Saffa told Austin as they headed back towards the dorm blocks.

“My hunch has been strengthened. Nothing is ever boring with you around,” Austin said, laughing. He bid the girls good-night as he went over the hillock to the boys’ building.

“Suuure. Your exciting is our normal, bro,” Rose said as she dragged Saffa up the stairs. It wasn’t going to be a very long night.

I pretty much look like I haven’t slept in weeks, Saffa thought, as she dragged herself to the dining hall with her Chemistry reference book and slumped in a random chair. She looked at her plate in disgust.

Idlis. Round, steamed rice dumplings. She detested them whether they were made right or wrong.

“These are so hard I could fight an alien army with them,” she muttered to herself.

“So go ahead and save the world, freak,” a malicious voice drawled. Saffa looked up. It was Ashley. “Why the hell are you sitting here, anyway?”

“The freak was so busy saving the world from aliens last night, she didn’t sleep and saw the wrong table,” Payal jeered. “Wow, I’m impressed. Those dark circles really complete the freaky look!” The girls at the table cackled and exchanged high-fives. Saffa opened her mouth to make a particularly witty comeback – as was her routine – but didn’t get there.

“Okay, okay, that’s enough,” Jason said from the far table. “Saffa, you take your rocks – “ he gestured at the idlis, “– and sit at our table. Payal, shut up. It’s not funny.”

The girls quietened down as Saffa changed seats. Trust Jason to cut the crap, he did it for her nearly every time, even if he was perfectly normal and had no idea what his cousin really was. He was what they considered the strong and silent type – when he spoke, people usually listened. Kinda like Jake.

“You know, I could’ve handled them myself,” she said, sitting down. “That’s usually the case when you guys aren’t around…”

“Yeah, well, it gets a bit annoying for us these days,” Jason said. “And to think I was actually considering Payal for a free Sunday…” He looked at his plate and made a face.
“Do I really have to eat this s***?”

“Skip it, man. I’ve got Oreos in my locker,” Abhay said.

Austin was at the far end of the table. He caught Saffa’s eye and gave her a knowing look. She smiled.

Everyone poked and prodded at their breakfasts until the bell rang and they all headed to English class. Saffa caught up with Austin on the stairs. “Thought you’d want this,” she said, handing him the Chemistry guide. It was bulging unnaturally.

Austin opened it to find a smaller book inside. Animorphs #1: The Invasion. “This is how it all began,” she said and hurried up the stairs.

“Ah, Saffa. There you are. Take your seat and turn to page 132,” Mr. Patil told her as she entered. “A most remarkable oration. Peter, you may begin.”

After Peter, famous around the school for his ridiculous height of six-foot-four, was done throwing his heart and soul into Mark Antony’s speech, Mr. Patil addressed the class.
“By the way, students, I have to inform you that Mrs. Bennett, the office coordinator? Well, she had a family emergency in America and had to return immediately, so her husband informs me. So I’ll be in charge until we find someone else.”

Peter, sitting in the back row next to Saffa, elbowed her. “Now you can break all the stuff you want in the Chem lab. He won’t know what to do!” Saffa grinned.

Austin was in front of her. He leaned backward to say, “Her husband?”

“Shush. But yeah, I’m thinking that’s our guy,” Saffa whispered. “I don’t recall seeing one at the PTA meeting last month.”

“No talking, now,” Mr. Patil warned.

The period before lunch was free, and the twelfth- and eleventh-graders were together in the twelfths’ common-room doing their own stuff. Austin waited patiently. He needed a distraction.

As if on cue, Saffa, head hidden by a notebook, inconspicuously dropped a tiny diamond in the middle of the room. Abhay saw it first. He launched his portly frame towards the chair it had rolled under. “Oh! Look over there!”

Once the girls saw it, it was a mad dash for the shiny rock, and in the mela that followed, Austin and Saffa slipped out of the room.

“I think it rolled outside!” someone yelled.

To satisfy the masses, Saffa flung a pea-sized diamond into the corridor, and they headed for the church, taking the back staircase to avoid stray teachers.

Rose was waiting for them when they arrived. “Ah, welcome, boys and girls,” she said. “Sit down. It’s storytelling time. And one helluva story it is…”

Rose watched as the expressions on her audience’s faces morphed from confusion to shock to outrage as she gave them the dirt. It was actually quite amusing. Man, I should be taping this.

“So. Let me get this straight,” Saffa said once Rose had finished. “You threatened him with your non-existent tail blade and got this whole mental plan out of him – but you didn’t get his name?!

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 11:50:57 AM »
Haha. That's awesome.
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 09:53:09 AM »
I know. Rose and I have awesomeness battles. ;) 8)

New chapter!

Chapter Eight

Rose grinned sheepishly. “It didn’t seem important at the time.”

“This is so sick,” Austin said. “I mean, we are risking our asses, and your secrets, ‘coz some psycho wants to play with the world like it’s his personal beach ball.”

“We get all the characters,” Saffa sighed. She turned to Rose. “Did he say whether he had a site yet?”

“Not really,” Rose admitted. “Though we could just Google it – “

“Ahem. We don’t have a name to Google,” Austin pointed out.

Rose looked guilty. “Okay, so maybe I got carried away and screwed up some,” she confessed. “But don’t hate on me yet. There’s got to be some other way. For a start, we know what he looks like.” She produced a folded piece of paper from her pocket – and unfolded it to reveal a highly accurate sketch of the man in the long black coat.

Saffa couldn’t help smiling. Rose’s drawing skills had always been exemplary, unlike her own – her most sophisticated work of art so far being a stick figure doing the Gangnam Style.

They studied the sketch. The man had short, close-cropped, straight hair with a slight tuft in front, and he was clean-shaven and thin-lipped, with two sharp gashes across his left cheek and nose – the handiwork of Saffa’s talons.

“Now that’s just great,” Austin groaned. “I know nearly fifteen guys at a time who look like that. Though maybe without the scars.”

“There are details beyond the sketch,” Rose said. “The man had a British accent. So you can rule out all the Indians, Americans, Australians and etceteras you know.”

“He told Mrs. Bennett that his colleague knew all about me,” Saffa pointed out. “So this is someone I know.”

“Yeah, but he kept saying ‘we’. So there are two people here who are after your little hawk butt.”

“So there must be someone in the background, maybe giving our guy instructions. I wonder why? He looks capable enough of being badass on his own,” Austin mused.

“Maybe he ate too much Indian food and he’s been getting gas,” Rose said, grinning. They all laughed.

“Okay, okay, focus, people,” Saffa said, clearing her throat. “For now let’s try and think of whom our coat guy, this ‘colleague’, could be, ‘coz at least we can reach him.”

“A RAFian?” Rose suggested.

“Bull,” Austin said. “Why would a RAFian want to know a RAF secret, which he obviously already knows?”

“Point taken. A banned user?”

“I’ve been on RAF a relatively short time, and there haven’t been any significant bans in that time. None caused by me, anyway,” Saffa said. “Heck, I can’t even do that.”

“Then it must be some outerworlder – that’s the term we use for people outside the Internet,” Rose concluded. “I can’t think of anything else. Obviously someone’s had access to this technology – “

“Lewis Miller?”

“Nah. We weeded him out, remember? And he doesn’t even have his computer anymore – of course, he could use someone else’s – “

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. Rewind,” Austin said. “Who’s Lewis Miller?”

“Lewis Miller was this nutjob sports fanatic from London who managed to get hold of the Internet teleporting technology while it was still running loose. It’s in our hands now and bloody well controlled, but it wasn’t back then,” Saffa explained. “His actual aim was just to get onto betting sites, fix matches and such, maybe get rich – “

“He even hacked a few email accounts. One of them belonged to Underseen, a friend of mine at RAF. And that’s how Lewis came upon RAF. Naturally, he was fascinated.”

“The potential for simple, harmless insanity to breed into psychopath levels,” Rose spat out. “He didn’t understand what made the forum so powerful. If he did, he could use that power for his own ridiculous gains. Naturally, this pissed everyone off, so the mods shooed him out with simple threats and such. But then he comes back all guns blazing – literally. He grabs a bunch of Dracons and starts terrorizing newbies.”

“How’d you stop him?”

“We – oh – I don’t know,” Saffa said suddenly. “I feel like I should remember something here…”

Rose looked at her warily, then went on, “Chased him off to Google, which is pretty much no man’s land. We lost track of him, but that was because he had logged off. That was a bit of a foolish move – the next day Underseen, with a bit of help from the Britain-based RAFians got him arrested by the London police for hacking into his email and stealing personal info.”

“I remember a pretty bad blackout, when I went after him,” Saffa said slowly. “But anyway, just because our guy is a Brit it does not make him Lewis Miller. I mean, Miller was one nerdy blond kid. That happened months ago – surely he couldn’t have aged that fast.”

“Anyway, we know what we need to know, we just need a name,” Austin said. He looked at Saffa. “And you still have loads more to tell me.”

“We have revision hour for that,” she said, smiling.

The bell for lunch went off in the distance. “Gotta run,” Rose said, getting up and fading. “Have to meet the Shawarma on some bloody assignment. Catch you later.”

Saffa and Austin made their way back to the common-room to come upon a crazy scene – someone had found the tiny diamond, and Peter was now ‘auctioning’ it to the class.
“Two hundred, going twice!”

“I should’ve just splattered Ashley with my cranberry juice or something,” Saffa sighed. Austin laughed, and went to the centre yelling, “Three hundred rupees!”

“Three hundred, going once!” Peter yelled.

Saffa shook her head and went back to her chair. That diamond is easily worth a few thousands no matter what the size is. She opened her Physics book, looked at lenses and mirrors for a few seconds, and shut it. She just couldn’t concentrate now – there was something about bringing up Lewis Miller again that made her head spin. Some nagging, important detail that had been forgotten.

The man had said he knew her. Had he actually known Miller? Was he out to finish what Miller had started? Or more?

She sighed. Thinking of questions never brought answers; it only brought more puzzling questions.

It was time to cross over to RAF again.

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 11:52:22 AM »
Maybe Google stunts your age.

Maybe because all I know about the middle east comes from Pakistan and that isn't truncated much of an great country, but isn't 300 Pakistan Rupees like a bit over 1 US dollar? It is probably different in India.
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 02:20:12 AM »
Yeah, it is. I think at the moment 1 dollar comes to 55 Indian rupees. Of course, the guys are only bidding so low 'coz that's all the pocket money they have at the moment. ;D