Author Topic: RAF Turning 10: Suggestions?  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
RAF Turning 10: Suggestions?
« on: March 21, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »
Howdy folks. So... RAF is turning 10 years old on May 23. And we think we should make it kind of a big deal, because that's a pretty awesome feat for a forum.

SO. That said. Staff is looking for suggestions for ways to celebrate! There's the usual RAF Party, of course, but this is the big 1-0. We need BIG THINGS. FUN THINGS. STUFF YOU GUYS WANT TO SEE!

So. Get to thinking. Click the reply button. And let us know!

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
Re: RAF Turning 10: Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 06:53:27 PM »
Woah 10 is a long time for a website about a series. We should have a special RAFparty, but I can't think kf anything to make it different.
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »
I think we should meet in some browser based online game, ans sort of take it over.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:54:07 PM »
I think we should meet in some browser based online game, ans sort of take it over.

Or make a RAF-based one? (Granted, I haven't the know-how to do it . . .)

A decade.  That's certainly a big milestone. . . .

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 01:50:51 AM »
I can't even believe it's been a couple years since I got here. 

I like that idea.  >:D

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 02:23:48 AM »
We have a notion, but we don't know how practicable it would be: a physical, traveling RAF 'guest book'.

One RAFian buys a notebook or journal and writes something in it for all of the RAFians, or for Richard, whatever. Then that RAFian boxes it and mails it to another RAFian who expresses a wish to write in it, and who states they are able to afford to mail it onward to the next person. Each time it stops someplace, the recipient cuts and pastes into it a piece of a map showing where they generally live, maybe adds some photographs of themselves and their life environment. Maybe puts their all-time favourite Animorphs quote into it, and takes pictures of themselves with their Animorphs and GONE and other KA/Grant book collections. Writes some things, signs it, and mails it on to the next person.

After everybody's had it who wants it, somebody scans all the pages and posts the image scans in a dedicated thread for it, so that those who had the book earlier can see what was added. Finally, the book is mailed to Richard, and after that possibly it goes to KA and Michael Grant, as a kinda' big thank-you gesture to the people whose original work brought the entire RAF community together centrally.

Alternatively, we have one RAFian be a central collector, and everybody else mails that person file envelopes containing their images, maps, etc., and the central collector turns it all into one big scrapbook, instead of the scrapbook itself doing the traveling.

Maybe this is a little too big to organize, but... what do you all think?
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:19:05 AM »
I like the idea, but what about the people who want to take apart, but don't accept mail?
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:31:56 AM »
They could participate through e-mail: take scans of anything, and type up anything text-only; another volunteer can print it off and add it to the book on their behalf. They'd still have to wait for the whole thing to be scanned and posted in order to see what other people added to it, of course.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »
Oh good, thanks for bringing up that option, since I really want to participate too but air mail here will be an issue. Plus our postmen are not really the most reliable in the world, which is why we moved on to courier services.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 10:39:25 PM »
That sounds awesome!  I would love to participate in something like that!

As for how to do it, I would vote to send the book from place to place, where possible.  Maybe even those of us with more disposable income paying overseas shipping for those who can't?  I would be okay with paying into something like that.  It just seems like it would be more, I dunno, meaningful, to have the book physically travel around the world.  Call me sappy, but it kinda gives me warm fuzzies to think about.  :kitty:

Although, ooh, Saffa brings up a good point about reliability.  Things getting 'lost in the mail' is kind of an issue everywhere, you know?  And for something to get mailed that many times, it seems almost inevitable that something would go wrong at some point.  And it would only take one missed connection to ruin the whole project.  So, maybe the central-collection-point/email idea is more feasible from a practicality standpoint.  :-\

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 02:59:22 AM »
Here's a thought:
The book travels, but everything that goes into it gets scanned and backed up first, by the individuals who made that content. If the book goes missing, then the content is still saved as files in the computers of the people who created the content. From that point, it can all be e-mailed to a central aggregator.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 06:27:19 PM »
Assuming we could manage to organise it, I really like that idea.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 01:16:58 PM »
^I concur

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 08:28:36 PM »
That'd be really cool. I agree to that. :)
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016