Author Topic: The Galactic War: The Rebel Base  (Read 10919 times)

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: The Galactic War: The Rebel Base
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »
"Yo! Illim! Daniel!" Derrel said when he noticed his buddy. He waved from his table, and waited for a response. There was still a spot or two at his table free, though he hadn't specifically reserved a seat in case any of his friends had come by. He just sat at the usual close-to-the-door spot Xevec always liked to sit at. Xevec was too paranoid to really want to sit in the middle of the room in case something happened. Not that anything ever did.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 09:00:01 PM »
"I'm Edith Reyes," the girl responds promptly, giving Illim a little smile and sticking her tongue out at him briefly. "And I'm not all that much of a gossip, not really. But no, I'm not a pirate either. I've lived on base basically my entire life." She peers at Mal and Soren curiously. "So what do you guys do in the med bay, huh?"

As Edith speaks, Soren's comm link goes off. It is a private message from the leader of the pirates, Keslin. When you get a chance, could you please stop by the war room?

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 10:14:22 PM »
Startled by the comm link, Soren nearly spilled his coffee in a rush to silence its sharp buzzing. <Huh. Wonder what Keslin wants. Well, better make this short.>

"We fix the sick and the broken, if we're the only hands left available for the job. I'm really more a field medic than anything else, so it's nice to have real facilities to work with, instead of being limited to whatever supplies we can carry on us... but I'm hardly a neurosurgeon. Hate to cut this short, but we're wanted elsewhere. Nice meeting you, Edith, was it? See you around, hopefully not in med bay."

Mal gave Illim a curt nod and strode quickly out of the cafeteria, sipping coffee to keep it from overflowing as he walked.

He arrived a bit later minutes later at the war room, knocking lightly on the sidewall to announce his presence. "You asked for us. What's happening?"
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 06:06:08 AM »
Rythil raises his eyebrows and chuckles a little.  He'd noted this "Dom" in the hallways before, but hadn't gotten to talk to him.  He knew the man was somehow involved with Niko and Gene.  All things considered, he'd heard much more about Gene.  He'd honestly wanted to talk to this Dominic and get to know him.  It was eternally frustrating working with an individual who shared at least half of his own interests in a partner, but was also in a committed relationship.  But if Dominic also shared half of those interests...maybe getting to know him would open up some possibilities...tho ugh that was quite unlikely.  After all, Rythil feels alienated from his own species by his intellect, from the humans by his species, and from nearly the entire base by his sexuality.  He feels like a living, walking paradox...an outcast social butterfly.  Oh, there might be some Yeerks controlling hosts that would be interested in some sort of dalliance, but Rythil refuses to take advantage of another Hork-Bajir's (by-comparison) childlike intelligence.  Although lately he's really been tempted to push his own rules.  Firin didn't understand that certain activities could only do so much when performed alone.  But then, he wouldn't.

"Maybe I will talk to him, though the humans outnumber the Hork-Bajir here by rather a large margin.  It would probably be better to worry more about human morale...though I wouldn't mind eating something with a bit of flavor."  He grimaces on purpose this time as he takes another bite.  He can sense the human girl's unease at being in a social situation, though the only reason he knows the unease originates with the girl instead of the controller is because Esreth had told him so.  "Meeting nutritional needs can go only so far."  He smirks a bit as he takes another bite of the bark, and even though his features are Hork-Bajir, his unusual intelligence gives them a strangely human cast.

"Firin harbors delusions of developing some sort of matter conversion technology..."

<<They're not delusions...>>

<<Then build a prototype...>>

<<......>>

"...you know...pick up a handful of dirt and turn it into a piece of sap-soaked Skkyrgo bark.  Or a heap of meat or something in the case of humans.  Of course, he doesn't even have an idea of how to test his hypotheses...so...y eah."  Rythil chuckles again, taking another bite out of his bland bark.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:13:52 AM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 09:26:39 AM »
Edith watches Soren and Mal leave, looking a little disappointed. "He's not very talkative, is he?" she asks Illim.

Esreth raises her eyebrows in interest. "Matter conversion?" she asks, glancing at Niko. "Is that even theoretically possible? I'll be the first to admit I'm not much of a physicist, but that seems like a bit of a stretch." She pauses to take a sip of lukewarm, recycled water. "I'd love to hear your ideas on it, though. I'll try to keep up." She winks. "And, you know, I am on the Council. If it's something that's worth pursuing, I could always bring it up at our next meeting.

Keslin opens the door to the war room and gives Soren and Mal a small smile. "Come on in," he says, his voice betraying the faintest hints of a Canadian accent. He beckons for Mal to enter the meeting room. There is a long, surprisingly ordinary table situated in the center of the space, with a wide assortment of different chairs surrounding it. A few holoscreens cast greenish light over the room, which is otherwise empty.

Closing the door behind them, Keslin makes his way to the table, taking a seat for himself in one of the oversized office chairs. He gestures for Mal to take his choice of seats.

"I want to start by telling you how much of an honor it has been having you with us again," Keslin says quietly, his host's freckled expression serious. "Once you were separated from us, our standard of living went down quite significantly. We were lucky we found Reven before we all died of minor cuts and bruises." He huffs a short laugh.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 12:14:10 PM »
Mal pulled out one of the conference chairs and took a seat, sipping his coffee again before setting it on the broad table.
What do you think?
<I think we're being buttered up, but I don't know how he's planning to cook us, just yet.>
So... not good?
<Maybe.>

"I'm glad to be back and working again; when we got separated from the group for so long, we began to get really worried about everybody."
...Worried? We were a little too busy trying not to die with that phenomenal maniac, to worry.
<What? No rule against buttering up the other guy. And Jo's not so bad, Hags; take it easy.>
Pleeeease do not call me that.
<Okay. Fine. De-ruffle those feathers, and let's find out what Keslin actually wants.>

Mal leaned forward on his elbows on the table. "Good to see you, and good to be seen, but I can't help wondering what you need, that I can do for you." He gave a gentle wry smile, the same one he tended to give soldiers whose wounds were fatal but who didn't know it yet, and who insisted on asking.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:17:48 PM by Estelore »
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »
Keslin's smile becomes a little strained, and he looks down at the table briefly. "We were worried about you as well. Both of you. I would be lying if I did not say we had feared the worst," he says, quietly diplomatic.

<<If by "worst" you mean sucked into a black hole, captured for interrogation by the Empire, starving to death, running into-->>

<<Enough, Chris,>> Keslin says, cutting the human off and focusing his attention outward again. "Mal, Soren, I have...an opportunity for you. A project that I believe your particular research may benefit from. I trust Soren is still more than happy to investigate the various biological systems of non-human species?"

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 07:43:49 PM »
Rythil nods to Niko before looking over at Esreth again.  "In a purely theoretical realm, it should be possible.  If we could parse and control individual subatomic particles and force them to bond again in a specific way.  But the manner of being able to predict and control all of those particles...it doesn't exist.  It would take super-computers to be able to correctly monitor and control such an action."

<<But it is possible.  It's not just food, Rythil.  We could create any type of resource we might need...metals, minerals...anything .  No need for mining or searching...we could simply create what we needed to create.>>

<<Perhaps it's possible...but it's not feasible.  Not yet anyway.>>

<<That's why I should be thinking about it!>>

<<Then think about it...>>

"And it would likely take a lot of time and energy.  Controlling raw sub-atomic particles would take a lot of energy.  Of course, if we could harness the energy released from breaking the bonds of the original matter...but that in and of itself produces problems.  There are too many variables...I'm sure Firin will be obsessed with it for a while though.  I admit, if he manages an epiphany, it would be remarkable.  But it's all supposition and theory thus far."  Rythil chuckles again to himself.
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »
At the mention of alien biology, Soren perked up visibly. "I am still interested, yes. What's going on?"

<Man, you suck at playing it cool.>
Hush; this might be important.
<Oh, yes, now it's important. I'd roll our eyes if you weren't using them.>

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »
"Maybe not," Illim replies to Edith, "but I am. C'mon, you should come over here and meet Derrel. You know him?" He takes his tray towards his former host and sits down across from him. "How's it going? And Xevec?" His grin is broad.
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 02:03:38 PM »
"I'm doing fine. The food is as good as always." Derrel said.

"By that he means it's better than the stuff he dug out of trash cans back on Earth." Xevec said, smirking.

"I've been occupying my time in the kitchen, and helping Xevec get used to the different way things are run around here. He's making steady progress in learning about equality. We're still getting the cold shoulder from Steven. He believes Xevec came here just because he didn't want to die, instead joining because he agreed with the rebel's views."

"I can't say it's entirely untrue, but I am trying to change." Xevec said. "I've been sharing my information on explosives, and I hope that will help the cause. I know it's not exactly a peaceful expertise, but it is useful. I notice you're buddies with Terenia. How did that happen? She's not an easy woman to get close to."

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 02:23:03 PM »
Edith follows Illim, coffee held in both hands, warming her hands. When they reach Derrel she watches, her wide brown eyes intent on him. She tilts her head a little as the human and Yeerk switch control with considerable ease, covering a range of topics in just a few seconds.

"Illim," she says, giggling a little. "I think you found someone who talks more than I do."

Keslin takes a deep breath, letting it out in a slow, long exhale.

<<Come on, man, you can't procrastinate forever,>> Chris urges.

<<I can't help thinking this is not the right thing to do,>> he murmurs quietly.

<<If it helps you not become a maniac?>> Chris asks. <<It's the right thing. What's the worst that can happen, eh?>>

Keslin chooses not to entertain that possibility, instead putting a serious expression on his face. "Soren, I do not know how much you have heard of the events that unfolded here before you returned to us. One of the...rather unortunate situations we were forced to deal with was the...the execution of Terliss."

His blue eyes watch Soren curiously. All of the pirates had known Terliss, their cold, reserved turelek, housed in the head of Aya, a particularly brilliant young woman. "I want to make sure that you are able to distinguish the rumors of what happened from the actuality. And then I will need your help."

<<Good so far,>> Chris says encouragingly.

"Right, so...as you probably are well aware, Terliss was not exactly the friendliest member of our little brigade. He kept to himself, he did what I told him to, and he kept Aya in relative isolation. I helped to encourage this, because I did not want Terliss associating with the rest of you. Terliss never wanted to be a rebel. He never wanted to be loyal to us. I...he was useful, and I needed him so that we could make positive strides against the Empire." He bites his lip. "I am sure that you are well aware of the addictive qualities that a certain breakfast cereal has on us Yeerks?"

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 02:43:04 PM »
"Back in the Empire, I was quite popular. Center of attention. Everyone loved me. At least, I thought everyone loved me. Unfortunately some people I knew were willing to sell me out if it meant not being decapitated by Visser Three." Xevec said to Edith. Now here I am, trying out a new lifestyle, and triple checking the lock on my door before going to sleep."

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 03:00:42 PM »
Soren stared blankly for a moment.
What has oatmeal to do with-
<Son of a ****!> 

Mal's eyes narrowed, but he kept his voice level. "What is going on involving oatmeal, what does it have to do with Terliss, and why do you need us to help resolve it?"

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 03:21:26 PM »
Edith raises her eyebrows. "This isn't exactly something you 'try out', you know," she says, setting her mug down on the table and helping herself to a chair. "You're kind of stuck here. We don't just let people change their minds and wander off."

Keslin swallows back his emotion, keeping his voice steady. "When I first found Terliss, I realized I could use him, but I needed to convince him to be loyal to us. I...I tethered him to us, so to speak, by forcing an oatmeal addiction upon him. As long as he did as I asked, I would supply him with enough of the drug to avoid withdrawal. I was always careful not to give him too much. I did not want him going completely mad, or becoming permanently attached to Aya. But I--"

He cuts off, gritting his teeth.

<<Come on, you've gotten this far,>> Chris says.

<<I am so incredibly tired of admitting my failings as a leader to my own people,>> Keslin responds, weary and embarrassed.

<<Let me, then,>> Chris responds. Keslin flushes a little, not particularly fond of the idea that he is incapable of finishing the conversation himself, but then he sighs and nods, his shoulders slumping.

<<Okay,>> he whispers, sliding out of control.

Chris blinks up at Soren, his eyes regaining focus. "Hey, it's Chris," he says quietly, flexing his fingers a few times. The trembling they display when Keslin is in control has vanished. "Listen, Kes...he did what he thought was best for us. To keep us alive and to make progress against the Empire. He knew the oatmeal would work because...because Keslin's been addicted to the stuff for a long, long time." His lips lift in a small, sad smile. "We need your help to understand how...how the oatmeal biologically impacts the Yeerks who are addicted. We know it fundamentally changes them somehow, but we don't know how. And if we don't figure that out, we can't figure out if there is any way to reverse it."