Author Topic: Group Re-Read 2.0 #54 The Beginning  (Read 3929 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-Read 2.0 #54 The Beginning
« on: February 02, 2013, 01:08:07 PM »
Synopsis
It began with six. It will end with five...
It all comes down to this. The long war against the Yeerks is rushing towards an end. Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie, Marco, and Ax have endured everything for this moment, but now victory and defeat seem hand in hand, and the only certainty is that nothing will ever be the same again....

Questions
   1. The first few chapters in this book contain a number of notable deaths, including Tom, Jara Hamee, and of course, Rachel. Any thoughts on how things turned out for Rachel this close to the end? What about Tom and Jara? What do you think of how some of these deaths effected the other characters in the series? How did they effect you?

2. "I wondered if-" What do you think was next? What questions do you think you'd have before leaving the world of the living?

3. In the last occurrence of  Erek or the Chee, they leave on less than friendly terms. What do you think of the way the Chee, especially Erek, have been utilized throughout the series? Where do they go from here?

4. How well did the Animorphs handle the negotiations with the Andalites?

5. One of the biggest factors in ending the war was allowing Yeerks and Taxxons to using morphing tech. What do you think of these creatures choosing to abandon their bodies? Where would the Yeerks fit amongst life on Earth?

6. Esplin 9466 has survived, but is sentenced to spend the rest of his life in a box in Kansas. What do you think of this fate for the Visser?

7. What did you think of the Animorphs after the war: Marco the celebrity, Cassie the government environmentalist, Jake as a recluse and then military teacher, Ax "The Aximili of Earth", and Tobias's isolation? How did these characters handle the end of the fighting, and their lives after?

8. What did you think of post war Earth, with Andalite tourist and anti-alien terrorists? What about humans preparing for interstellar travel, and the use of morphing in professional settings?

9. Thoughts on the new quest the Animorphs set out on at the end. Was it right to leave Cassie out? Was the introduction of Kelbrid suitable? What about The One? Do you think it is completely new, or tied into something we've already seen?

10. "Ram the Bladeship." Thoughts on the ending? Facing down the Bladeship, what other options were there? What would you have done? What happens nexts?

11. What did you expect, or want, for the ending, when you first started the series, and as the end approached?  From the standpoint of the characters, or from the writer, what would you have done differently in the world of Animorphs?

12. Any response or commentary on KA's final note?

13. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

14. Everything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Coming soon: The Results

Well, that's it for my part. An exhaustive thanks to those few who participated. I'll leave the polls open in the infernal hope of further feed back, but I hope you enjoyed, and hope everyone continues to read and reread this marvelous series on and off the forum for years to come

Thanks for playing along.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #54 The Beginning
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »
Firstly, can I just say thank you so much for organizing this! Even though I've been going off on my own tangents, I probably wouldn't have gotten this done at a much faster or slower pace--this has meant a lot, so I'm really grateful.

Final quote collection, for old times' sake:

Cassie couldn't let Jake make that decision,

If Jake hadn't sent me I'd have gone anyway.
I started the morph. If it turned out I wasn't needed, well, then it would be fatally stupid of me. <- Rachel taking some initiative

But then, I wasn't in love with Rachel. <- Marco. Headcanonneers gonna headcanon

"Is someone going to maybe tell us what a challenge is?" <- but Marco, it's a contrived deus ex machina!

And my tail blade  . . . My tail blade will be cut off.> <- oh, and given the capabilities of the morphing technology, what a travesty that would be.

The first human Zero-space vehicle will be built jointly by Boeing and Lockheed  and be ready for launch in three years <- so one year after the book concludes. Huh.

The Hague has returned convictions on twenty-two of twenty-five counts of war crimes against the Yeerk, Visser One <- what were the other three??!?

Sensors showed no life signs. However, sensors did show what might be traces of DNA.
I frowned. <DNA? Specifically? Earth origin?> <- this makes it sound like Earth is the only planet with DNA, hahaha

"Look, if it's because of us, because of, you know, you and me, hey, that's separate and apart from saving Ax. Ax is one of us." <-final Jake/Cassie note. I will write up a couple of super-analysis posts, one on them, soon!

Thanks again!!!

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 10:18:14 PM »
I've got a big problem with Rachel, Tom, and Jara dying. Throwing in some important character death (that doesn't get reversed) right at the end is a blatant diablos ex machina. Just something thrown in to add drama and tear jerking for no purpose. Plus siunce it's the end, the author doesn't suffer any consequences for doing so. I can understand if you don't want your ending to be on the extreme idealistic side of the sliding scale of idealism versus cynicism, but you went pretty much as far to the other side as possible without making it a straight up downer.

Probably the thought of an afterlife. Living in america, where 85% of the population is Christian, and more of it are religious in general, the thought has to occur at some point.

You know I can understand Erek being angry at Jake for throwing this loophole at him out of nowhere, but I don't see him coming up with any better ideas. For getting around the programming, or dealing with the ships.

I think they did pretty well. It also helped that they didn't kill Alloran. Though as far as not killing Visser One, I find it odd that Jake said "we don't kill prisoners", instead of "we might be able to save alloran". Or was that after V1 left his host?

The first time a Yeerk mentioned becoming a nothlit, we aren't even given evidence that he isn't taking his host with him. Giving the power to the Yeerks was a very stupid move. At least doing it outside of controlled conditions.

Adding The One was completely unnecessary. If you want continued conflict, just stick with the terrorists you already set up.

I expected the final book to be titled The End, and have closure. Not expecting sunshine and flowers, but certainly not expecting what we got.

KA's final note? Nothing positive. She's bad at finishing what she starts. Everworld didn't have nearly as many books, and she still had ghostwriters working on it. I think the ending to that was bad too, though I don't remember it clearly. I think Senna went through dramatic character derailment.

I could go on a big rant about it, but I won't right now. KA started what became my favorite book series of all time. It had its us and downs, and it ended at a low point. I'd personally thank her for starting the series, but tell her there are things she definitely needs to work on. Still, she's better than I am.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Salad Shooter

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »
Okay, I can definitely do this. Some of the other books are like ... ehh, I don't have much to say about them as individual books, but I can analyze #54 all day.

First of all, I love this book more and more as time goes on. Not so much because it was a great book (although it wasn't as terrible as some people think), but because it leaves SO much opportunity for great post-canon fanfic. So much to work with. I love it.

1. The first few chapters in this book contain a number of notable deaths, including Tom, Jara Hamee, and of course, Rachel. Any thoughts on how things turned out for Rachel this close to the end? What about Tom and Jara? What do you think of how some of these deaths effected the other characters in the series? How did they effect you?

Ack, Rachel's death affected me most. As a 12-year-old girl with anger issues, I really related to her after the last book, and felt ... I can't really explain it. Some kind of bond with her as a character that I only became aware of after reading about her death.

Tom's death was disappointing. I wish they'd tried harder to rescue him.

Jake sending Rachel to kill Tom - okay. Jake must have gone over the deep end by this point, that's all there is too it. He thought he was being like Marco, seeing the bright clear line from A to B, but he wasn't, he was delusional, he missed too many important details. And that he didn't share all the details of his plan with the others (especially Marco the tactician) before it was too late was his downfall. He needed their input, he needed other people to point out the flaws, but he was too ... what? Too proud? Too paranoid that the others' emotions would get in the way of doing what had to be done? Yes, and perhaps other things. But he was exhausted, physically and emotionally, and he did not handle this the best way he could've ... although it WAS good enough for them to win the war. Which counts for something, I suppose.

2. "I wondered if-" What do you think was next? What questions do you think you'd have before leaving the world of the living?

Everything. I don't think she really had the chance to articulate the end of that question in her mind. Just wondering about everything, her own life, life in general, the universe, what does it all mean, is there a purpose, and yes, what is there after this, what is it like to die? All of that confusion and uncertainty wrapped up in a single unfinished statement. :'(

3. In the last occurrence of  Erek or the Chee, they leave on less than friendly terms. What do you think of the way the Chee, especially Erek, have been utilized throughout the series? Where do they go from here?

This book makes it obvious that the Animorphs don't really respect the Chee, or view them as people. And of course, they're not people, they're androids, but what really makes them different? Erek is portrayed as a sentient being capable of emotion, but he has been mechanically designed, not naturally evolved, and how does that make him different yet still relatable? It would have been interesting to go into more about the Chee's perspective but they are only ever treated as a Helpful Plot Device, and that's kind of how the Animorphs view them in-universe as well. Things to be used. Only at the end of #10 when we first meet Erek is he treated as anything more than a tool.

4. How well did the Animorphs handle the negotiations with the Andalites?

I don't have the book in front of me but it seemed like it went over pretty well. Jake was pretty good at speaking passive-agressive diplomat-ese to them. One of the few ways in which he acted intelligently at this point in thge series.

5. One of the biggest factors in ending the war was allowing Yeerks and Taxxons to using morphing tech. What do you think of these creatures choosing to abandon their bodies? Where would the Yeerks fit amongst life on Earth?

I have to say that I thought of this solution WAY before I read the last few books or even #29 when Aftran morphs a whale. It was sometime after reading HBC and #19 - if the Yeerks want bodies and eyes so bad, why not give them the power to morph???

Taxxons: I have heard it argued that this is basically genocide, and wiping out the Taxxon race, but I agree with the theory that Taxxons on the homeworld are somewhat more functional/able to control themselves when they are under the influence of the Living Hive. Away from the Hive, being a Taxxon is pure horror, so I don't object to all the Earth-based Taxxons becoming nothlits.

Yeerks: Yeerks could become nothlits, or they could morph back to Yeerk form every two hours and maintain their existence as a species while still having to depend on Kandrona. Would the humans and Andalites allow the latter? that's another story. And where would they fit amongst life on Earth? Depends on the Yeerk, depends on the particular human community, but at least with the morphing technology they presumably have options about who they want to be and how they want to live. There are so many different ways that this could go.

6. Esplin 9466 has survived, but is sentenced to spend the rest of his life in a box in Kansas. What do you think of this fate for the Visser?

Oh my God. My very favorite thing about this book has always been that he did NOT die! As a kid I was really worried KA would kill him in the end, and when she didn't it made me SO happy, I was like, she listened to me! haha.

Objectively, though, it's absolutely ridiculous how many times Esplin has come out unscathed from situations that by all rights SHOULD have killed them. There are multiple instances in HBC, in TAC, and throughout the series, he is freaking UNKILLABLE. As a supervillain I guess that's to be expected, but to have him not die when Ax was RIGHT there and was supposed to avenge his brother and he DIDN'T? this is RIDICULOUS. (ridiculously awesome in my opinion, of course.)

Also, something that pleased me more than it should have: he was imprisoned in my home state. heck yes. represent.

Although really, imprisonment was probably the worst thing that could've happened to Esplin, he would've preferred death. The Yeerk who was obsessed with the sense of sight from the beginning, isolated as a hostless Yeerk in a tiny container with no ability to see? Hell on Earth, literally.

Of course, in my headcanon (and eventual fic) he eventually escapes. heh heh.

7. What did you think of the Animorphs after the war: Marco the celebrity, Cassie the government environmentalist, Jake as a recluse and then military teacher, Ax "The Aximili of Earth", and Tobias's isolation? How did these characters handle the end of the fighting, and their lives after?

I think it's realistic enough for their characters. Although my opinion is that KA should have had #53 be the last book, with the first few chapters of #54 tacked on to it, just enough for us to see how the war ends and that the Blade ship escapes so there are still enemy Yeerks out there. If she's not going to give us closure anyway, she doesn't have to give us all that follow-up story, it's just pointless.

8. What did you think of post war Earth, with Andalite tourist and anti-alien terrorists? What about humans preparing for interstellar travel, and the use of morphing in professional settings?
Meh. It's mildly interesting but I have no strong opinions.

9. Thoughts on the new quest the Animorphs set out on at the end. Was it right to leave Cassie out? Was the introduction of Kelbrid suitable? What about The One? Do you think it is completely new, or tied into something we've already seen?

I think it was absolutely right to leave Cassie out, and I'm not even a Cassie-hater, she's my second favorite Animorph. But she was always the one who objected most to the fighting, who tried hardest to hold on to her humanity (and apparently succeeded), so it was right that she go on to do the work of maintaining peace. That's definitely more up her alley. Cassie simply isn't a warrior, and that's okay. She was the Animorphs' moral compass (whether she was an effective one is up for debate), but Jake has dealt with too many shades-of-gray issues to want a moral compass on the team. So I completely understand and agree with his decision to leave her out.

As for the rest of the question - It's okay. Gives us fic-writers something to work with.

10. "Ram the Bladeship." Thoughts on the ending? Facing down the Bladeship, what other options were there? What would you have done? What happens next?

This is more Jake being crazy. They don't even know anything about The One or what he is capable of, and they do the all-out attack thing right off the bat instead of doing more information-gathering? Seriously, Jake is not being an effective leader at this point. Yes, he still commands respect, and that's the ONLY thing he's got going for him right now. He's not using all the strengths of his teammates like he has in the past. He's calling all the shots. Understandable, he probably feels like he has to prove something to himself. But seriously that's not the best plan.

Still, people have pointed out that Elfangor rammed a Blade ship and survived. And given The One's weird powers which nobody understands, who knows what could have happened next? I haven't even figured out what I think happens next for my eventual fic.

11. What did you expect, or want, for the ending, when you first started the series, and as the end approached?  From the standpoint of the characters, or from the writer, what would you have done differently in the world of Animorphs?

I originally wanted more closure than I got, but when I didn't get it, I was grateful. I'm a fic writer. Tying up too many loose ends would give me nothing to do, since I like to make my fics canon-compliant.

What I would have done differently as a writer - see my above idea about combining 53 and 54 into one book.

12. Any response or commentary on KA's final note?

I understand that she didn't want us to think that victory in war is all rainbows and ponies, or that everything gets settled neatly, but she could have ended it in a way that ... fit together better and made more logical sense with the rest of the series. I can go back after the fact and come up with psychological explanations for the way the characters acted, but seriously ... No closure is fine, no cliche happy ending is fine, it's just the WAY it was done could have been more satisfying while still being true to real life.

But like I said, I'm not going to complain too much, because #54 gave me plenty of good fic material. I wouldn't want to change it now because then that would screw with all of my ideas :)

13. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

I read it recently for - of course - fic-writing purposes.

I personally would like to see the Animorphs series re-written with more continuity for an older audience - adults and older teenagers - instead of middle readers, since the fanbase (especially the ones who truly deeply appreciate the series) is mainly older now. Like Harry Potter style - fewer books but retaining all the important plot elements, and weaving them together in a more sophisticated way.

14. Everything else?
I have a love/hate relationship with #54. It simply isn't as fun to read as the other books. But it has plenty of redeeming qualities and like I said, I don't really want it changed at this point.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:23:26 PM »
I'm not sure how tying up loose ends would effect fanfic writers. Just make an AU fic. Not all of us are writers, or need dangling threads to give us ideas of alternate stories.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Salad Shooter

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 08:49:54 PM »
But I don't want to write an AU fic :[ I go through all this effort to make sure my fics are canon compliant and making them AU would totally invalidate all that effort. It gives me a sense of satisfaction to know that their storylines could exist within the canon universe.

What loose ends would you want to see tied up?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 09:19:05 PM »
I guess you can't please everyone.

Like what happened at the Hork-Bajir Homeworld? Why did Toby and her group stay on Earth instead of going home and helping with that? Even if there wasn't already a resistance group there, why didn't Toby and her people go home? What happened to Loren? What happened between Marco's dad and his second wife? Did he get a divorce and remarry Eva? Is he still considered married to Eva? What about Mertyl? Do you think Marco bought him a prosthetic tail? What did Jake's parents think of him? What happened to the voluntary controllers? Maybe more, but that's just off the top of my head.

Also I'm not wild about the idea of nothlitizing an entire species. That just sounds like a different kind of genocide.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Salad Shooter

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 10:08:13 PM »
Also I'm not wild about the idea of nothlitizing an entire species. That just sounds like a different kind of genocide.

It depends. Do all the members of the species do it voluntarily, or are forced to do it against their will?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 10:15:25 PM »
I'm sure there would be some that would rather remain Yeerks than pick a totally different species. Plus unless a sentient species was made available, I can see there being problems. Unfortunately, their choices may have boiled down to "pick a non sentient creature, or eat shredder".
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 10:28:03 PM by Chad30 »

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 11:31:56 AM »
I liked your tangents Ember. Insightful, and a fair bit amusing too.

1. Of course Rachel's death was saddest. I've come to terms with the actions she took, though I still don't agree with their necessity.  Grossly unfair for her to go this close to the finish. Never a favorite, but a beautiful character, and it's a shame for her fate to come now.
Jara's death I felt was grossly overlooked. He was only a secondary figure, but it was almost in passing. Toby's words however meant a lot to me.
But it's Tom I feel the worse for. Slave for so long, learning the hell his family has been put through, and to die in captivity is not a fate I would wish on anyone. It didn't have the impact it should, being followed by Rachel's death, but these losses really make the first few chapters tough to relish.

2. I think it would be a variation of "will I dream," If I will see, if I will  know, if I'll find out, something. My biggest shock about this line is that Rachel just had some of the biggest questions answered. I'd have trillions of questions before the end, given the chance, but if left to one, did I matter is a good contender.

3. While overall I like the Chee, I still think they could and should have done more in the way of intelligence gathering and protection. I imagine they go back into hiding, but I cannot imagine why they have ever been content to live that way. They could probably evade the people that would try to rip them open and use them for evil, and still give a little bit of good to the world. Blah

4. This was all Jake, Marco and Ax, and they did awesome.  Jake was professional, and with some proper timing by Marco and Ax was able to drive his points home well. I enjoyed it more than I should have, but Marco's translations may be the funniest section of a book since "do you hate trash cans." Awesome.

5. I still find this bizzare, the mass willingness to give up your form, but okay. I can't see Yeerks settling for snakes and whales or anything less than human, and while after a time that's easy enough to hide, thats another life of secrets and lies,
because a lot of folks won't be accepting of the Yeerk next door.

6. I don't even mind this, I mind how he got in the stupid box without a fight. It's a crappy life, but it doesn't seem proper that after all the horrors, all the times he has casually handed out death that he can still live. Not fitting. Because we know Esplin, we know this is a punishment for him, but it's disgraceful for all those who suffered at his whim.

7. All but Tobias and Jake are just what I expected. Ax is a bit odd as prince, and I didn't see Cassie in another relationship, but they and Marco are doing alright. Tobias running off forever is the response of an 8 year old with a chemical imbalance, not a 19 year old that's gone through all he has. Rachel would be pissed. Jake too was a disappointment, but at least he came around some. Shame this is the end they got, but after all the times they recovered during the fight, I'd have expected them to be stronger when it finished, not collapse.

8. Interesting concepts. The terrorism things were annoying and dumb, but that's terrorism. Go to the stars is less interesting when you know what and where other worlds are, and you have their help, but it still would be nice to ride. Morphing for combat, this whole story shows it's ups and downs, but morph therapy seems great. Need some tough limitations, but that would be a lot of fun, and I could see benefits for a lot of ticks through it.

9. Practically a different series. I don't object to leaving Cassie, she had what she needed, she was done, but so was Marco. I don't think he was THAT bored, I'm surprised he went. Tobias makes sense, and while Jake needed to go, it was as much about redemption for him as saving Ax, you can't get that through this. The Kelbrid aspect was rushed, random, and I don't see why we couldn't get a little foreshadow somewhere else. Same with The One. To primal to be greater that Crayak/Ellimist, to advanced to be anything else in the limits of the series. Didn't like it, hope it dies.

10. My POV on this has changed a lot over time. Gut reaction says that they die, but unlike when I first read it, it's not a hopeless, bleak, suicide run, it's a different route to victory. (Nonsensical, I know.) Not a lot of options, but I'm always a fan of trying to run away. It wasn't the end they or the reader deserved, but in it's own right it was a fantastic ending.

11. For 6 years I wanted the same ending: They collectively bring down the Visser, land the Bladeship on the White House lawn, a Dome ship comes in, and the Andalites make all the guys Princes, and the girls the first every Princesses in their ranks, and they all live happily ever after. A grand and glorious finale where everyone celebrates. I wanted a happy ending for them. For me. Yes my ending's crappy and cheesey, but it's what I wanted. And yes, it was supposed to be called The End! I can like the story we got, but dammit, they give this book the wrong title. (And I know, it's supposed to be clever, stories have no end, start a new adventure thing, but dammit, I wanted The End. >:()

12. Well Ms. Applegate, though not without my criticisms, these books have my continued adoration. Done me a lot of hurt, but a lot of good, and while you should not have ended on a hanger like that, well, it cerainly wasn't bad.
But really, the only thing that matters is the thought. "You may now demorph"
Not yet. Still not yet.

14. This series was presented as secret accounts from the Animorphs, who were out fighting a threat "somewhere" in the real world, in real time. Because the events of this book are on a global stage, this can no longer be maintained. Really this begins in 51, so we've lost a bit of rational and intrigue in the story telling. Really as big a blow to quality as filler, something should have been done to account for it, but admittedly that would have had to been setup long before.
Other: I was going to rate it lower. But it does still make me smile.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Snakie

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
I'm obviously very, very late to this party, but I just saw this sub-forum and decided I'd drop my thoughts on the off chance anyone sees them.

1. I was surprised upon reread that Rachel's death impacted me so.  I'm sure it impacted me a lot the very first time I read the book, but over the years I really had come to think of Rachel's death as a fitting and organic end game for a character who had been irreparably changed by the war.  Her post war life would have been the toughest of any of the Animorphs other than possibly Tobias, as she had become dependent on the war itself.

2. I always figured she was wondering if she would exist in any form after her death.  But really, she could be wondering anything at this moment.

3.  I've discussed this on the main forum at length, but I have a negative opinion of the Chee.  Ax sums up my point of view fairly well in a later book in the series (I don't recall which), when he says he doesn't think the Chee should hold onto their pacifist nature at the possible expense of the freedom of the galaxy.  I loved the way the Chee were written and handled, but I ultimately thought they were profoundly selfish and kept their non-violent programming knowing full well what it could cost any number of sentient species.  I found myself feeling very little sympathy for the Chee being exploited at the end of the series and resented that Erek's actions caused the Blade Ship to get away.

I will admit though that Erek's criticism of the flushing of the pool ship certainly hit me deep, though, as he had a strong point there, even if I didn't feel much sympathy for the rest of his complaints.

4. Masterfully.  Jake spelled out the terms and did the big talking extremely effectively, while Marco understood the magnitude of the moment that would define human-andalite relations from there on out.  Ax is the one that really shined, though.  The fact that he was shaking shows that he genuinely believed there was a chance his challenge could fail, and he still had the courage to face possible banishement and dishonor, and he did it all for the humans.  After seeing him conflicted in his support for human beings in recent books, this felt like the best possible moment for this character.

5. A recurring theme in these stories is the life of different species and the challenges they face, and the question of how far the right to a pursuit of happiness goes.  Do Yeerks have the right to take over other intelligent species?  Are the Taxxons evil for having an overriding hunger they must satisfy?  The decision to make morphing a "way out" for these creatures was an interesting one ever since it was introduced in book 19, and I liked seeing it play a role in the end game here.

6. Death would have been too kind to the Visser.  In the Hork Bajir Chronicles, we see him gain things most important to him: power, respect, fear, and a host body to allow him sight and freedom of movement.  Forcing him to live out a long existence without any of these things seemed very, very fitting.

7.  Not much to say here honestly.  It all felt very realistic and true to the characters, but I always thought the book dragged on a little bit at this stage.  Marco fairs well because he accomplished his goal of reunifying his family through the war.  Jake fairs poorly because he did not.  Tobias loses his last anchor to humanity, and Cassie manages to separate herself from the war entirely.  It all felt very organic, but I wasn't blown away.

8.  I liked getting more of a sense of what the general Andalite public is like, but other than that I could have done without the passages dealing with those topics.  For me this book should have been all about the characters, and to its credit, it was primarily about them and the war.

9. I thought Cassie was part of the team and should have been included, and don't see how Marco being bored makes him more suitable to this new war.  I also found it strange that the two cadets were chosen due to their lack of family connections, yet he had no qualms about taking Marco away from his newly reformed family (actually, I was a little taken aback that Marco's parents and mother especially weren't even MENTIONED in this book).

I didn't much care for the One.  The whole "integration of other beings" thing was blatantly recycled from the Ellmist and "The Father" character from the Ellmist chronicles.  I would have liked to see a new villain that had novel components to it, rather than a vague villain with passing and apparently coincidental similarities to characters already seen.

10.  Hard to say.  I do not believe they die right after that moment, as I don't think KA was going for an ending that grim.  Upon first read I thought they died at the end, but given how little we actually know about the One and how powerful he is, it honestly could be anything.

11. I NEVER thought about an end game in the early stages of the series when I was reading it first.  Over time, I've grown to appreciate the ending we got as a more realistic take on what a war like this would actually result in.  I'd have still liked to have gotten a little more closure than "ram the ship", but I'm perfectly fine with the fact that they don't all live "happily ever after".

12.  I can take it or leave it.  I thought it was weird that she felt the need to give us a final note like that in her book, but I'm grateful for the series and can forgive that indulgence, which I felt was more for her than for us. :)

13.  I just finished rereading it!  Seeing this thread inspired me to do so.

14. I never shared the sense of outrage over this last book that other people did.  I liked the way Visser One was handled, and thought the plight of the characters after the war felt very realistic.  I also thought Rachel's end was appropriate and felt that this series "needed" to see the death of one of the six as the war drew to a close.  I also felt, for the reasons I stated above, that Rachel was a natural choice.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:51:44 PM by Snakie »

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »
Morphing uses in the aftermath of the defeat of the Yeerks:

I: Saving endangered species.  Acquire the male of the species, then morph it to mate with the females!

II: Search and rescue.  Morph bloodhounds to sniff out missing persons.  Morph birds of prey for air searches.  Morph dolphins for ocean searches or to rescue the drowning.  Morph small animals to reach trapped persons through small spaces.  And/or morph Taxxons to dig tunnels.  Morph gorillas and elephants for heavy lifting.

III. Explorations of the ocean, Antarctica, and other difficult regions.

IV: Morph small animals when your space ship is about to take off!

V: Morph gorillas and pedal on stationary bikes to generate electricity.

VI: Heal any injury instantly!  No need for Obamacare, or those stupid Healthcare websites!

VII: Construction: Morph Taxxons to dig tunnels.  Morph gorillas and elephants for heavy lifting.  Morph small animals for detail work.  Morph birds for high up work.

But I expect a plague of identity thefts!