Author Topic: Group Re-Read 2.0 #51 The Absolute  (Read 2227 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-Read 2.0 #51 The Absolute
« on: January 12, 2013, 12:15:02 PM »
Synopsis
Things have gone from bad to worse. The Yeerks have the morphing cube, and they're taking getting more aggressive. They're planning on taking over the National Guard, and launching an open war. The Animorphs need help, and the only person they can go to is the state governor. But even if they get to her, no one can be sure Earth's forces will be enough....

Questions

1. Several Animorphs gain a new bird morph, in the form of a duck. What did you think of this animal in this book? Do you think the descriptions of it's attitudes and abilities were accurate, undersold or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a duck to be like? How does it compare to the bird of prey morphs? Considering the benefits Marco notes, why didn't they do this before?

2. What do you think about the Yeerks now being morph capable? How does this enhance the Yeerk threat, and the Animorphs challenges?

3. The Animorphs have finally successfully informed and gained the support from the government. What do you think of this turn of events? How does this effect the war?

4. Any thoughts on the governor as a character in this book? Would you have like to seen her more prominently anywhere else?

5. The reader finds out about what happened with the blue box, and Cassie and Jake, before the other members of the Animorphs. What do you think of the the groups' functioning under this internal tension, and secrets within the group? What, if anything, would you do to uncover and resolve these problems?

6. This is the last book exclusively told by Marco. What do you think about the progression of this character since joining the Animorphs? What is his place in the group, and how does it provide benefit? Is it the same as when they started? What did you like and dislike about Marco and the perspectives he provides throughout the series?

7. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

8.  Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: # 52 The Sacrifice
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #51 The Absolute
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:41:14 PM »
I have no idea why they didn't do this a long, long time ago. It's even mentioned in the first book or so that there's a goose in the barn. Every time they complained that their raptor morphs weren't ideal for distant flying, I wondered why they didn't grab something that was. I don't know how well a hummingbird's eyes are, but it seems like a great spy morph to have.

It pretty much throws the Animorph's greatest strength back at them. Storywise, it's a good way to add tension and hopelessness, and it's pretty standard for the villains to get as close as they can get to winning, without actually winning. I complain about them getting the box more because of how they got it, than the fact that they got it. If they could have done it without the good guys carrying the idiot ball, that would have been fine.

I don't really remember her. I think she was more open to believing what was going on, which is good. Much better than when the military guys can't get it in their heads when Jake pulls the same stunt over and over.

I remember Jake accidentally excluding Cassie from a group meeting, and Tobias saying it was beyond wrong. I couldn't disagree with this more. Personally I would have done it on purpose, and told Tobias to shove it. Personally I would hope that if I was Jake, I wouldn't have screwed this up so much in 49.

Marco has always been one of my favorite characters. He acts similar to how I think I would act, and is invaluable to the group as a strategist, and realist. He's also a nice foil to Cassie.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 07:35:04 PM »
Jake sighed. "How many stories is it now?" <- How does Jake get the best line in a Marco book?

Notes to self for later: Jake /avoids/ sending Cassie on the finesse mission. "I can trust them:" Marco, Ax, Tobias, but keeps her and Rachel close at hand (after book 50).

How do you guys know all this about tanks (see also the last couple books with Jake narrating) and not your governor's name or gender? That is implausible.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
Unfortunately some of us know more about celebrities than government officials. I live in Alabama, but I don't know who the governor of Alabama is off the top of my head.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
Okay, I guess that's fair (in the case of people who move, if they were in college I'd be more lenient).

Still, do you know that person's gender?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 10:35:55 PM »
I'll put my money on white guy. I'm just not highly into politics. It's just a complicated process as far as making an educated vote, and figuring out if the common person's vote really matters, or if there's just a small electorate that's just going to put whoever they want in office regardless of who the people really want.

But tanks. Tanks are cool. Strong and manly.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
   1. All I can think right now is Ax is right. Looking for food with your but in the air is none to classy. Look at a bird book one day, and the number of ducks will drive you mad. Mallards specifically are about as chill as waterfowl get.  That this book describes them as so enduring is interesting- I don't really argue it, ducks can haul, but since most of the time I see the same ducks staying in the same places for months on end, it's odd. Why they didn't use these earlier, well they have no good reason, but I can provide one. Raptors have agility and fighting prowess in the air that ducks don't, and as you're pretty exposed up there, and the Animorphs have more than birds to worry about, I can see not wanting to use a more vulnerable form.

2. I don't think it really ups their potential for damage to greatly, by all rights 5 Hork-Bajir should not be less dangerous than a polar bear, but it does add interest to see the generic bad guy now have the heroes power.

3. Does it effect the war? I know, broken record, but I saw very little impact. It was a conceptually interesting suggestion to have the president agree to send in forces, but what comes of it beside a battalion of martyrs. If anything this is a boost for the Yeerks to stop holding back, which is crushing for Earth's moral considering how little power we do seem to have against such a threat.

4. Kinda funny, pretty respectable, but nothing I adored, and again, she pretty much falls off after this so....

5. I think this does take a reread for one to appreciate properly, I certainly missed it the first few times. Animorphs are pro at covering things up, but the hostility is palpable when everyone is together. I don't think theirs a lot you can do as an external factor to lay this issues open, but resolution can be bought by ignorance. Jakes dividing the group works well, Marco may have gotten it out of him, but faux peace is sometimes all you can get.

6. Marco is the most likable for many reasons: he has real problems but doesn't constantly whine about them, he makes jokes, he grits his teeth and push through things, and women just don't get him. Marco is very relateable. My biggest fault with him is pride, his aversion to pity, still understandable, but he lets it jeopardize too much. And then the times where he is randomly soft. He still is the T.O. still willing to do bad things for pragmatic reasons, like a blend of Rachel and Cassie's inputs. For a while he's been handy, if not critical, but from he to the end, he's pivotal in getting things done, and keeping missions in line.

8. Funny, but inconsequential and dumb appearance by V1. Just pointing it out.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....