Author Topic: Group Re-Read 2.0 The Ellimist Chronicles  (Read 1743 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-Read 2.0 The Ellimist Chronicles
« on: December 15, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »
Synopsis
He exists beyond the realms of space and time. With powers beyond human comprehension. For eons he has played with the fate of the galaxy and its inhabitants. This is the story of the Ellimist. This is where it all begins...

Questions
   1. In general, what were your thoughts on the story of the Ellimist and the events of his long, long life?

2. What do you make of the games the Ellimist plays; with other Ketrans, with Father, with Crayak? What do you think of the methods the Ellimist employs in these encounters, and his objectives? What about the objectives of his opponents?

3. This book ties the Ellimist into the early history of  few species relevant to the main story, notably the Pemalites and the Andalites. What did you think of the Ellimist's influences on and how he was influenced by these races?

4. If you didn't already know, which Animorph would you think the Ellimist was speaking to in this book? Why?

5. The Ellimist has existed outside space-time and has been around for tens of millions of years, and can warp time and space with a thought. These powers are almost certainly beyond human comprehension, but take a moment to consider it. What do you envision his experience to be like at this point? How on such a plane do you think you would fill your existence if you were on your own, or if you had some type of companion?

6. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

7. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #48 The Return

Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 The Ellimist Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:08:36 AM »
   1. I think far too much was missing, but I'll cover that later.  It's a sad story, the loss of world, enslavement,  battling evil across the galaxy. Nice they they touched on the Pemalites and Andalites. It's been a hard existance, no less because it's so long but once he Ascends, I can't pity him. He has power, and so he has much to do.

2. This is *** up right here. With the Ketrans fine, I won't want to play a game where you are always soft, but if that's entertainment, cool. With Father, well messed up but not his fault, and it just sucks because he trapped. Bad with Crayak. A whole galaxy of living creatures as pawns, and while it's Crayak's fault he had to play, I still think he treated it like a game, which is a little shameful. It should stop being a game then. His objectives in the last game as noble as could be, but I never understood Crayak's. Keterans want to play, Father was alone, but total destruction for total destruction? Really didn't get it.

3. Sentimental, interesting that the Andalites were first. I doubt his influence on them, but the reverse was so simple, so profound: more children, some live. It never would win him his game, but it was a worthwhile effort. It was just interesting to learn the Pemalites were his. Wonder if Erek knows. They were good connecting elements for the main story, if greatly abbreviated.

4. I think I'd guess Rachel, because she has the next book, but really, I'd have figured Tobias, because I consider them the most personal-Elfangor, the morphing thing, so most likely to call on him. But he came in first with Rachel, I guess it fits he goes out with her.

5. No words. Beyond love and glory and all the feelings and subtle words of man, I cannot express my longing for such power. The best way to understand him is as a gamer, with a bigger board, but that he got there from the mortal plane, that he remembers it, the experience is not mundane to him. That contrast, to have been pawn and master, must amp the event. I would play with universe. I know I bashed him for it a minute ago, but I would tinker. Watch for great periods all the miracles of the physical, and than shape and reshape them in ways this body cannot imagine. On my own or with another, I would be amored with such a state, and in sways from delicate to violent, shift the fates of stars.

7. This may be the worst book in the series. Father and Crayak are there for a third or so of the book. 1-2 chapters with Andalites and pemalites. No real back info on Crayak's origin or details of what they've done since being reaching their highest states. So much undone, on by far the largest venue.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 The Ellimist Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »
There were definitely things missing, like how there's no mention of the time matrix. It did answer some questions of how they came to be, which was nice. It was kind of odd that Crayak ascending to a higher plane was just brushed over, since apparently he just copied what ellemist did, and lucked into the same thing happening. And ellemist just watched for some reason. It's like she was trying to tell a totally different story, rather than using the book to expand on the series background.

I think it's originally stated that crayak wants to just make there be one superior race. I don't like the idea of him just trying to wipe out all life for no apparent reason. That makes no sense, and even goes against the theme of there being no pure evil. Unless crayak is just insane. Still, what does he plan to do afterwards?

I like the idea of making a race to help him spread life. Not sure why he made them totally pacifistic. Sometimes violence really is the answer, you know. It's also funny that a superior being can learn a great life lesson from a mere mortal.

I'd probably go around creating worls and life. Maybe make avatars of myself to live on thos planets. Try not to be a self absorbed dick.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:28:09 AM by Chad30 »

Ani-Master 2014!