Author Topic: Group Re-Read 2.0 #47 The Resistance  (Read 1710 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-Read 2.0 #47 The Resistance
« on: December 08, 2012, 01:26:33 PM »
Synopsis
What would you do if you lost your mind...to a Yeerk?
The Hork-Bajir have been found out. Visser One has learned of their existence, their location and is on the move to destroy them. But the Hork-Bajir aren't willing to go without a fight. With everything else about the war on Earth rapidly changing, Jake isn't looking to take more risks than he must. But it's clear this fight is happening, and the Animorphs are in. And ready or not, this fight will bring yet another monumental change in the war against the Yeerks.....

Questions
   1. At this point in the series, things are radically changing. They've accepted the Andalites have left them, and Animorphs are considering going public. What do you think of the change in atmosphere, and the Animorph's contemplations? What do you think is their best course of action from here?

2. Though this is the final stretch of the series, it still is being written predominately by ghost-writers. How might the feeling be different if KA was still spearheading this part of the series?

3. In addition to the Animorphs plot, this book contains a side story that occurs doing the American Civil War. What did you think of this story, and the parallels between it and the Animorphs predicament in this book?

4. What do you think of the Hork-Bajir insisting on defending their valley? Considering that even in victory they'd be forced to relocate, was this a wise choice? What would you have done?

5. What did you think of the group of campers that volunteered to join this battle? Were they choosing to ignore the danger, brave, or just foolish? In their position, told of the peril at hand, would you have rallied to the cause, or high-tailed it out of there?

6. Used for a unique purpose in this book, the Animorphs gain a beaver morph. What did you think of this animal in this book? Do you think the descriptions of it's attitudes and abilities were accurate, undersold or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a beaver to be like? What do you think of flooding the valley plan that the beavers were used for?

7. What did you think of Jake in this book? How well is he holding up, at home and on the battlefield? How effective is he at getting a task done and working with his troops as well as new recruits?

8. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

9. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: The Ellimist Chronicles
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #47 The Resistance
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 05:47:02 PM »
When they say "Jara and Ket's youngest child," is that literal or figurative?

Edit: does everyone else have a "the countdown has begun/it will all be over very, very soon" line at the end of chapter 17? That seems out of place.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #47 The Resistance
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »
^The kid thing I chalk up as literal via crap ghosting. Shouldn't be, but there it is.
And yes, that was random, but I figure it's more of the ominous thing they started one or two books ago

1. I still don't think that public is the right choice now. I don't know if it was ever the right choice. But it is good that they are back to giving this serious discussion. The feelings of despair and anger and very palpable in this stretch. It adds realism and contrast that has been missing for a long time.

2. I don't think it would be. Call it a compliment to ghost-writers, or an insult to Applegate, but I think the best anyone was going to put into the series was done, thought that's slightly disappointing too.

3. I hate this part. What a gross add-in considering the events of the last two books. Not only do we up end moving the valley for no consequence, we throw in this for comparison, which was not at all needed, and not all that interesting. Slightly more now that I know Forrest was real, but still just bad.

4. Brave and sentimental and an absolute waste. Win or lose they had to leave, why take the losses? It isn't anymore their's after the fight than before. Gross, gross waste.

5. This is one of few things in print that can get me flushed with rage. I hope, in some recess of my being for magic and dragons and all that stuff, but to pretend that it won't hurt you, when the object of your fantasy has laid plain that you can
suffer. I won't say they deserve the guy dying, but man it's hard not to. It was juvenile and disgusting on the parents part especially, not because they partook, but because they were either willfully ignoring the risk, or they were too damn dumb to get
it.
Faced with the option, I'd have run. Now I say that a lot, but seriously, you don't get into the middle of a monster fight if you don't have superpowers. The last ditch fight for earth fine, but for a camp of creatures that's have to move either way-pass.

6. What a thing to morph at a time like this. A rodent is a rodent is a rodent, even a water logged rodent. I don't know about that sense of urgency written into it here, something about that seems off. Hard to picture innate sense of purpose.  I like having lengthy limbs, but props to beavers-I've been dealing with lots of trees of late, and if you can bring down even a small one and move it around when that size, I am impressed. Just realized that they didn't do a lot of hunger/fear for beavers. Don't know how much they need fear in the continental U.S. A decent life I suspect, and though I don't know how much thought they really kinda need to have such a structured task: not sure how well I could spend all my days just eating, sleeping, hiding and mating. Though I shouldn't be able to is another issue.

7. This time I'm gonna call out Jake. Once the H-B were committed, the Animorphs had to be involved, but I really think he could and should have done more to get them out from the start. I also feel for him at home. He all but says that he's given up on Tom. Going home isn't a reward anymore, it's a distraction. A better job than I could, but now is were I see cracks in his mantle that don't have to do with doubts, and now is not the time to have them.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....