Author Topic: Group Re-Read 2.0 #46 The Deception  (Read 1780 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-Read 2.0 #46 The Deception
« on: December 01, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »
Synopsis
The Animorphs have never met Visser Two. Until now.
Visser Three has been promoted-the Animorphs arch enemy is now Visser One, and he's bringing in Visser Two to carry out his new plan. The Yeerks are planning to start a nuclear war, World War III. The Animorphs have to stop this plan, or millions could perish. Visser Two is a fanatic, he can't be negotiated with, but if the Animorphs can't get him to stop, the cost to the Yeerks, and the Animorphs personally, may be greater than the cost of a war....

Questions
   1. Proven amongst the most useful of morphs, the ever present seagull plays a role in this book as well. What did you think of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think the descriptions of it's attitudes and abilities were accurate, undersold or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a seagull to be like?

2. Jake remarks that things are different, and "“From now on, we take what we need. We do what we have to do. No matter what the consequences." What do you think about the Animorphs consciously making this decision?

3. Visser Two finally makes an appearance. What did you think of this character, and his devotion to the new Visser One?

4. What did you make of the Yeerks plan to start a war on Earth? Marco states that the average American does not believe that a full scale war is even possible. If you remember the late 90's and 2000, how do you think that statement held up? What about in this post 9/11 world in which we live?

5. During the fighting, the crew of the USS George Washington are quick to work with the Animorphs. Was this them simply working against a common enemy, or something more? In general what did you think of the Navy's efforts against the Yeerks?

6. Ax has been on Earth a long time, and has shown a genuine interest in keeping Earth free of the Yeerks. How has his character changed from when the series began? What did you think of the actions he took to stop Visser Two, and his calculated defiance of his prince? Would he have done dropped the bomb?

7. What would you do given Ax's position? Would you sacrifice thousands in order to save millions and more? Would the decision be affected if you would be destroying your own town as opposed to another's?

8. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

9. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #47 The Resistance
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #46 The Deception
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 08:45:07 PM »
<So if we were to go public with our information or alert certain authorities…> <- you have been threatening to do this ALL SERIES, make up your mind.

To quote Dak, "Tobias knows Esplin 9466..." but no, we need a chapter to remember what that's all about.

Estrid?! Had not expected him to be thinking about her.

Is morphing humans really the moral problem, here? (Why do Andalites have the morphing technology for, anyway, beyond stealth? They're much better natural fighters than humans...)

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 06:59:21 AM »
I never read this one, but now I really want to.
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 01:48:33 PM »
   1. I like the gull, but in regards to diet, I find some birds just don't like fruit. The Animorphs as seagull never went for fruit, but that should have been mentioned. Before 43 I figured this was the closest we had to Taxxon hunger-but really not the case. This was supposed to be the inconspicuous bird morph, but there are some places a gull is really out of place, so putting it to proper use takes more skill than they let on, or considered. Mourning doves though, they are everywhere. Surprisingly hard to notice to, but gull,good part of the arsenal.

2. Solid proof that this is a vital book. It's sad that the kids who always resisted "whatever we have to do to win" who knew the cost of that have come to this point, where winning is most important. I agree, but it's a mark of the times that they have to make peace with that.

3. We finally get another ranking Yeerk, and this one is nuts. How he got to be number 2 is beyond me if all he does is ride Esplin's jock. There is a glimmer of the calculated Yeerk ruthlessness beneath it, but all the posturing and gesturing makes it hard not to just think of him as the freak Visser. I'm fine with him being loyal to Visser One, not being another rival, but he should be a consultant, a respectable supporter, as near an equal as possible. Not a fan boy.

4. This is the kind of alien invasion plan of action I've been waiting for. The first serious, dangerous, possibly make Earth ripe for conquest, not zany scheme in ages. I'll hold my tongue about present wars, but in the current day I'm ready and willing to believe a total war is possible, and I think that's not uncommon. I was a paranoid child, so believed that even before the shift, and while I don't think most people before 9/11 expected a war, they wouldn't call it impossible.

5. I don't know if it's something more, but I really enjoyed this scene. Familiarity, common enemy, the fact that they weren't attacking sailors. Whatever it was, this is the first time the Animorphs have serious help from Earth's own, and while it didn't amount to a whole lot, I still found it meaningful.

6. I like Ax because I think he shows the most growth, not all of it good. He cares about the planet, his friends, his honor, his life, but he's both more and still willing to make some brutal sacrifices to win. He has a better outlook on humans, but I think  he still finds most of them beneath his race. Stopping the Yeerk was bold and terrifying, and I'd say taking down Jake was heart breaking, but he justified it well. The reason was as merciful as it was brutal. Hell of a moment. Really hard to know if he would have done it, but I think he was learning toward yes. Rough.

7.  Though. Hard to argue greater good, but I guess my response is that greater good doesn't mean good. This is not a good place to be in, but for now I'll say that I would. Loathsome answer, but the alternative is even more so. Though there are a few places that are meaningful to me, I wouldn't be any less likely to spare them than someone else's home town. Shouldn't be willing to form martyrs, but at that level, there's not enough of a personal bond.

9. I remember the first time I read this-coming back from my break in the series, having skipped a dozen books. I saw the "the new V1" closed the book, and didn't touch it again till I'd gone through the prior books.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....