Author Topic: Group Re-Read 2.0 #45 The Revelation  (Read 2092 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-Read 2.0 #45 The Revelation
« on: November 24, 2012, 09:12:03 AM »
Synopsis
Sometimes there's no escape. Even for the Animorphs....
Everything's changed.  Marco's dad has become a major target for the Yeerks. Marco's lost one parent, he won't loss another. But if he's going to keep his dad safe, he's going to have to tell him everything. Meanwhile, Visser One is back on Earth, slated for execution. Marco has one chance to save his father, save his mother, or he could loss them both forever....

Questions
   1. Marco's first morph, his signature morph, is the silver-back gorilla.  What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series? What do you think it's strengths and weaknesses are compared to the others' combat morphs? Do you think the descriptions of its abilities and attitudes were accurate, exaggerated or undersold? What do you envision the experience of being a gorilla to be like?

2. This book also introduces the Blue-band Hork-Bajir squadron. What do you think of the concept of introducing a unique, elite set of antagonist fighters at this point of the series? Should this have been more frequently occurring group, or kept out all together?

3. In this book, Marco reveals the truth to his father, fakes their death, loses his stepmother, frees his own mother, and ultimately reunites his family. Thoughts on the major events regarding Macro's family  that happen in this book?

4. Marco has finally fulled his goal of liberating his mother. How has he changed since first setting about this task? Now that he's achieved this end, what do you think are his top priorities-how do they compared to this one?

5. With help from Marco's dad, the Animorphs also come up with a new tool; a Z-Space transmitter to project and intercept communications. What do you think of the utility of this new device, and how they put it to use in this book, and later?

6. Marco proved unable to contain himself when his father faced infestation. What would you have done in his place? Would you have allowed a family member, a loved one, to be taken in order to preserve your security? Or would you too take the risk that comes from keeping them safe?

7. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

8. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #46 The Deception
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #45 The Revelation
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »
Did Peter come up with the Z-Space transmitter all on his own? Or had Ax hacked his stuff enough times that he really got it from Andalites?

Is this supposed to follow on from book 35 with Marco morphing out of control?

Also, there are not any fossilized life-forms on Mars.

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 02:38:54 AM »
This is one of my favorite books in the series. I think it was a great way to end it, I loved the ant morphing bit. This book is great...
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 05:19:01 PM »
I give Ax's prior work credit, but three years, and I'd thought he'd wiped it, so who knows

1. "Gorilla: my outward expression of an inner rage too great to contain." Beautiful. B-freakin'-utiful. And can't say all the Animorphs had their spirit animal or whatever, but this book exemplifies something wonderful about this morph in how Marco puts it to use. Incredible power on a very comprehensible form, and of course, how many other animals can drive stick? This wouldn't be my first combat choice, but to take it into battle would be fantastic: I can't punch very hard. A real gorilla, that's an interesting life, like a skilled human in the wild, not invincible, but the challenges will not be for those who are different.

2. I like the BB's, and wished they'd been introduced much early. Another way of not having to battle the chief every time. Wasn't put to much use, but oh, what could have been.

3. Good for you Marco. Cept the lossing Nora thing, that was kinda *** up. Faking the death really got to me too, "I had my memories. They would have to be enough." I don't like to take pictures, I give various reasons, but this almost the whole reason why; the memories don't have to be enough, but they should be. And of course, dead V1, free Eva, sweet. Everything's coming up Milhouse, err Marco, and the way it was part of such a rush in this book I can't help but be swept up in it..

4. Back in 15 Marco said he would never change. And in a way he's been good to that. He's had his fear, doubts, but he always kept focus. I wouldn't say he's more ruthless even, just better at it. Still has some compassion, but keeps it locked away until the end of the fight. I figure now his goal is to win for others, and so he can go home, but of course, if that's right, it's not nearly as obvious, and probably not as powerful as having his mom back

5. Like that Rachel's the one trying to get the device going against the Yeerks. Seems right somehow. Nifty thing to have. The little messages in the next few books were spooky, to bad nothing came of it. This is one of the biggest steps they've taken in advancing their offense in a long, long time, and it's a good one, but really, mostly for the drama of the not so friendly Andalites....

6. Like a fool, I say the risk is too much. There's a risk with living with one, but this-I have to believe the human hunting starts now. I feel for the boy, I really do, but he gambled everything. And they always gamble everything, but to gamble everything against this one life. Couldn't do it. Wish I had a different answer, but I'd up and run off just to make sure I didn't invoke so much more suffering so for one man to be free a while longer.

8. Magnificent. So much happens in this book, so much is advanced. Fantastic writing, epic plot, great, great book.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 01:38:39 AM »
My favorite moment in the book: A seminal moment in Earth's history: Marco's Dad inventing a Z-Space communicator, 40 years after Earth's first space launch!  Also Ax getting apoplexy over the Z-Space communicator invention.  It sounded like he was chocking as he thought spoke on the subject (how would that be possible?).