Author Topic: Group Re-Read 2.0 #42 The Journey  (Read 1915 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-Read 2.0 #42 The Journey
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »
Synopsis
Rachel is about to go where no human has gone before....
The Animorphs have two not so little problems. Someone managed to get a picture of them mid-morph. And the galaxies most fearsome micro-warriors have returned to Earth. Yes, the Helmacrons have are back, and they've invaded Marco's nose. Now Marco's a hostage, and going to have to oversee getting the camera back, because the rest of the Animorphs are going after the Helmacrons. Which means being shrunk down, and voyaging into Marco.....

Questions
   1. This book opens with the Yeerks making personal Kandronas for the masses. Rachel notes this would remove them from the pool-their one weak point. How important is it to keep the Yeerks dependent on the pool, at this point in the series?

2. The Animorphs have finally been caught on film. By a kid with a disposable camera no less. What do you think of this ever present threat to the Animorphs security? How much greater is this threat in the current decade, as opposed to when it was written?

3. They're back! What did you think of the Helmacrons showing up again and the battle between the females and newly liberated males?

4. This book is an admitted imitation of the sci-fi classic the Fantastic Voyage. What do you think of the use of this and other literary themes in Animorphs? How do they strengthen the story? How does Animorphs remain unique when using such common themes?

5. What do you think of Rachel's behavior in this book? From dealing with the Helmacrons to Macro, what aspects of her character were justly portrayed here? And which do you think were misrepresented?

6. What are your thoughts on Marco contracting rabies, and the effect it had on his behavior?

7. Rachel's original and still often used go to morph is the largest animal on land: the African elephant. What did you think of this animal in this book and throughout the series? Do you think the descriptions of it's attitudes and abilities were accurate, undersold or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a elephant to be like?

8. The Animorphs have done a number of things to save the planet, but this book has them going straight into Marco's nose. Would you have done the same? Considering all they have done, what do you think their limit is for a violent, or just gross undertaking? What do you think yours is?

9. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

10. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #43 The Test

Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #42 The Journey
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 09:37:44 PM »
The Helmacron vocabulary is hilarious. Jackanapes? Popinjay?
Enjoyed the Rachel/Marco hinting here! Jake/Cassie in 19 is the only other dual-narrated book like this.
Nice point bringing up the sharks in blood aspect of it all.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #42 The Journey
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:01:06 PM »
   1. I don't think it's that important since the final strike still isn't being considered, and I still see a problem for the Yeerks in using such methods. Catches me as another inconsequential cold opening to set up the camera thing.

2. Miracle of all time to not have been caught before. Or turned in this time. Malls, businesses, hotels, all these places the Animorphs have been, and not once to be caught is the most unbelievable thing in this story of shape-shifting, alien fighting adolescents. And in the modern day, I just don't think it could be done. Any public setting would be off limits-you couldn't even get away with a wolf in the theme park not making the local addition if everyone has a camera phone. Far fetched indeed.

3. I still like the Helmacrons. I liked them better last time, but of all the stupid things to reappear, this one is good because it serves the purpose of serious yet surmountable threat, while being hilarious. Or annoying. The battle of the sexes was not as epic as it could have been, but still always good for a laugh.

4. That they admit it was interesting: unlike sit-coms that do this kinda parody, it fits in the Animorphs realm. One of my favorite things on Animorphs is that it does a good job using literal concepts: most of them follow the hero's arc in one way or another, the false benefactors, lost loves, and so much more. And I think what allows this book to do it all so well, without being mindless derivatives, is keeping them on character focus. Even the books that come off as plot for plot's sake, can still focus on those critical aspects of character enough so that it's not just Luke Skywalk with Jakes voice or a blonde Xena. Character driven story even when in homage, that's what I like about them.

5. She was a little too mean, but it wasn't a horrible monster. She's not recovering from her darkness, but at least her she wasn't out of her mind. I liked that she admitted to Marco being a friend on his apparent death. Not that powerful, but very meaningful.

6. Now this I see as being unpleasant. Viruses suck, and while I've never know anything rabid, Marco was odd. Aware of a problem, but fighting it, and I'm not sure if that was him or the disease. If it wasn't the rabies, than it was dumb, but if it was,
it's particularly frightening. Like being a controller to something seemingly so insignificant, so much less than even a Yeerk. That's spooky.

7. In this book it's a bit of a joke, but throughout the series I like this morph. Size equates a certain level of terrain control, very imposing.  The limitations are also imposing. Surprisingly easy to hide, but the limits on space are taunting. They can be mean too. A worthwhile morph for sure, but a lifestyle to be both honored and pitied

8. For a friend and protector of the planet I suppose, but this is one of the grossest things they do. Intimate in all the wrong ways. By the end I don't know if the Animorphs have a violence limit provided they can give it a cause, and I can empathize with that. For gross this was close. Being able to use other bodies takes some of the pressure off gross, but still certain I'd rather not eat or be inside. Never morphing intestine flora.

9. Roaches don't have lungs, you can kill them. That is all
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....