Author Topic: The Galactic War: Rogue Element OOC  (Read 95040 times)

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
Re: The Galactic War: Rogue Element OOC
« Reply #315 on: February 07, 2013, 06:15:50 AM »
Ah, I think I understand the gist now.  He could be a ship mechanic if you want, though that station would likely move up along engineering lines rather than piloting lines.  If you'd rather have him be one of the fighter pilots or a current Squad Captain, that would probably be more appropriate.  Squad Captains are responsible for a six-ship team (themselves and five others) in combat.  The Flight Commander tells certain squads where to deploy or gives them objectives to pursue, but the Squad Captains are responsible for keeping their squad together and accounted for.

In either case, Claxter would still probably have the rank of Warrior, though he could really hold nearly any military rank.  It just depends upon how notable a pilot's career is and how long he/she chooses to remain a fighter pilot.  I'm sure Norry probably made it to the rank of Prince Lieutenant before she retired her fighter wings (though that's up to Este...it's just the gist I get from her character sheet and backstory).  It takes a lot for a fighter pilot to reach anything above Command Warrior rank on fighter skills alone.  And even Command Warrior is more difficult to reach as a fighter pilot than as almost any other occupation in the military.  A Command Warrior fighter pilot generally either served his/her entire military career successfully in a fighter, or has accomplished some incredible and very noteworthy things in a fighter.  Only the very rare ones, like Enorryma, who have a savant-like skill in a Tail Fighter and have achieved a near-legendary legacy as a fighter pilot manage to ascend to an officer-level rank (Prince Lieutenant or better) as nothing other than a fighter pilot.

Otherwise, fighter pilots have to shift positions or take on new responsibilities (as is the case with a Flight Commander) to advance in rank.

So, I think I understand what you were talking about now.  Just let me know.  I'm fine with Claxter being a pilot or a Squad Captain, though it would make more sense for Ossanlin to promote a Squad Captain rather than a general fighter pilot...I can make it work either way, but it would be more believable if Claxter were a Squad Captain.  Passing up on the Squad Captains to promote a general fighter pilot would be favoritism, pure and simple...and that's not in Ossanlin's character.  He does have favorites or those he prefers, but he always chooses the person he thinks is best (or necessary) for each job, regardless of his preferences.

Also, let me know what rank you wish for Claxter to hold.  If he's still at Warrior rank, we could possibly have some fun with a promotion ceremony and whatnot once he becomes a Command Warrior.  Up to you...let me know your preferences for each.
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #316 on: February 07, 2013, 06:29:54 AM »
Also thinking about ways that Andalites might display rank...they don't wear clothing, so they don't have uniforms...but some sort of rank insignia would be important.  I'll list a few ideas that I've had, and you guys let me know what you think or let me know if you have any ideas.

Of course there could be a neck-chain or rings...but those seem very "un-Andalite."  I suppose it could be arm-bands of some sort, or...I was thinking of perhaps a smallish badge-type insignia that is worn on the left "breast" of the upper body...a metallic insignia that has a little self-sustaining stasis field generator built in so that it can hold itself in place by holding itself gently against the body without clipping the fur or skin...like a sort of reversed repulsion field.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think of it.

RAF Silverblade

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #317 on: February 07, 2013, 08:02:38 AM »
Luke, I'm assuming Efaen has no rank to speak of, but I wanted to ensure that was true. She was of Warrior rank prior to the memory wipe, and when she was taken to Corvus she was "given" that rank back -- mostly so that it would be easier to get her off-planet in the eyes of the Electorate -- but she has no memory of her formal training, nor has she actively sought to regain that knowledge.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #318 on: February 07, 2013, 08:37:22 AM »
Well, if she's technically a Warrior, I don't see Ossanlin demoting her or taking that away...but Efaen's an odd duck...you guys have screwed around with her so much.  :P  The fact is, technically no one on the ship has an officially-recognized rank any longer, because according to the gov't, they're all dead.  I suppose Efaen would be stripped of her rank after it was determined that she was partially responsible for the Corvus raid.  But, then...no one on the ship is really paying attention to what the Electorate gov't is saying.  The ranking system has been sort of automatically adopted to maintain structure and constancy for the crew, not to mention a sort of pseudo-belief that they're still members of the Andalite military that are just on a sort of black-ops type of mission.  So I guess I'll leave that up to you.

The fact is, Efaen's rank matters little if she doesn't intend to acknowledge it herself.  If she doesn't care, then it doesn't really make any difference.  Unless Efaen chooses to accept the system again, unless she acknowledges Ossanlin as her leader and Commanding Officer, her rank is rendered meaningless in the current situation.  Ossanlin might eventually try to leverage her with that ranking situation, but he probably isn't going to push her much right away...unless she does something stupid or drastic that forces him to take action that is.

RAF Silverblade

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #319 on: February 07, 2013, 10:10:28 AM »
They already have a belt for their weapons, so what if there was something on the belt that showed their rank? Or would that be a bit low on the body for someone to make a quick, easy check? I thought maybe a band on their tails, since they're kind of obsessed with tails, but it is a weapon and they wouldn't want their bands to get soaked or ripped too easily.

Squad captain would be good for Claxter. Whatever you think is good for him to do now, that would line him up for First Helm later.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #320 on: February 07, 2013, 02:22:26 PM »
Sorry, going to be delayed all. Recovering from law school suck. Myitt's post came though. ;3 Man does it take a lot of energy to do this every morning. -___-

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #321 on: February 07, 2013, 05:08:07 PM »
I'm sure Norry probably made it to the rank of Prince Lieutenant before she retired her fighter wings (though that's up to Este...it's just the gist I get from her character sheet and backstory).
Based on the ranks you designed, yeah, that sounds accurate.

We're with Chad about putting insignia on their weapons belts. Alternatively, for those who wear the head-mounted computers with the one-eye HUD, maybe some component on that device could indicate rank externally? Or maybe those computers could have a peripheral function which, when you look at an Andalite, it immediately identifies them and lists their rank and name on your HUD? That way, rank isn't shown to enemies in the battlefield, but it's known to both your own soldiers and to any ally soldiers who join you and have that device.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #322 on: February 07, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »
Belts are a good idea...that never crossed my mind, though it would probably be best to wear them a little off-center...centered on the belt would make it look like a belt-buckle.  :P  I did think about tail ornamentation given the Andalite obsession, but it seems like that would be a tad difficult to see, not to mention the tail is such a mobile and functional unit.  I figured Andalites probably wouldn't want to inhibit functionality in any way.

Anyway, if I can get my scanner to work right, I've drawn (I know, I suck at drawing) some rank insignia ideas.  The main question would be, would the Andalites keep wearing the old rank insignia and just add the new one when they're promoted, or would they replace the last rank insignia with the new rank insignia?  I can't decide.

Also there could be a sort of tight-fitting fabric collar holding smaller versions of the rank insignia for dress-out and ceremonial occasions?  Perhaps only the current rank is displayed on the belt, but the collar holds the pins for each rank the individual has earned?  Just shooting ideas.  I'll try to post the drawing as soon as I can.

And yes, Este, the HUD could certainly display such information...but the HUD is usually only used in off-ship or combat situations.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 05:22:22 PM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »

RAF Silverblade

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #323 on: February 07, 2013, 06:12:57 PM »
 "The main question would be, would the Andalites keep wearing the old rank insignia and just add the new one when they're promoted, or would they replace the last rank insignia with the new rank insignia?  I can't decide."

Maybe up to a personal decision?

Ani-Master 2014!

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #324 on: February 07, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »
Okay, here's my illustrations...you've all had time to get used to my sub-par drawing ability so yeah.  The non-shaded parts are a chromy-silver colored metal, while the shaded parts are a gold-colored metal.  The chevrons are the only things colored gold since they're a mark of officer rank.

What do you guys think?  I know it's not a big thing, but it feels like the small details help to add realism.

RAF Silverblade

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #325 on: February 07, 2013, 09:39:50 PM »
I like it.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #326 on: February 07, 2013, 09:43:42 PM »
We like! :D
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #327 on: February 07, 2013, 10:14:57 PM »
They look very cool, and Serid's rank sounds good to me. Sorry to be MIA. I've been working late a lot.
Aluminator's RAFsister

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #328 on: February 07, 2013, 10:36:20 PM »
Not a big deal, Marie.  We've been moving a tad slow anyway since nearly everyone seems to be pretty busy.  Hopefully we'll be able to pick it up again shortly.  I may end up "Yeerking" one or two of the slower-moving characters, or just sort of assuming they tag along without their player actually saying so if necessary.

And thanks for the compliments you guys, I'm glad you like the insignia.

Also, Chad you haven't told me if you want Claxter to currently rank as a Warrior or a Command Warrior yet.

RAF Silverblade

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #329 on: February 07, 2013, 10:44:52 PM »
Let's let him be a Command Warrior. It's been a good bit of time since he started, so we'll let him have had a promotion.

Ani-Master 2014!