Author Topic: Group Re-Read 2.0 #40 The Other  (Read 2072 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-Read 2.0 #40 The Other
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:21:41 AM »
Synopsis
This is your brain. This is your brain with a Yeerk. Any questions?
Marco may watch a lot of TV, but he never expected to see an Andalite on the small screen. And it's not Ax. It's not Visser Three. Turns out there are other Andalites on Earth. But getting in touch with them could be dangerous. They may not be in the war: they won't help the Animorphs, they're not fighting the Yeerks. But it's clear they need something. And just because they aren't fighting the Yeerks, doesn't mean they can't turn the Animorphs over to them....

Questions
   1. This book reveals Ax, and Andalite culture have a dislike of vecols, or "the differently abled." What do you think about this aspect of Andalite society? Why did the author add this to the Andalite character? Do you agree or disagree with their idea that isolation preserves a vecol's dignity?

2. What do you think about these new Andalites? Why reveal they've been on Earth this whole time now? What did you think of the friendship of Mertil and Gafinilan? What did you think of their loyalty to one another, and putting the war behind them? What about the deal Gafinilan struck with the Visser?

3. What do you think about Gafinilan refusing to using morphing to cure his disesae? Andalite society condemns becoming a nothlit to cure a life-threatening disease. What would you have done in Gafinilan's place? Would a societal stigma restrain you from using any means to save your life in the real world?

4. Likely the two most contenious Animorphs are Rachel and Marco. What do you think of their relationship in this book and throughout the series? Despite the fact that they are often at each others, throats they often side together on divisive issues. Why? What are the highs and lows of their dynamic? Do they care about each other as friends?

5. What do you think about Marco's character in this book? How beneficial was his hesitance in trusting Gafinilan? How smart where his efforts to spy on the Andalite? What does his reaching out to Mertil at the end say about him? In what ways is Marco progressing as a person through the series?

6. From pollinating an Andalite's garden, to spying on said gardener, honeybees are important to the natural, and superhero world. What did you think of this animal in this book? Do you think the descriptions of it's attitudes and abilities were accurate, undersold or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a honeybee to be like?  How does it compare with the other social insects used in the series?

7. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

8. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: Alternamorphs #2 The Next Passage

This is a link I was shown a while ago where you can play around with some simulated bee vision. http://andygiger.com/science/beye/beyehome.html
Just for fun. And a little bit o' knowledge.

Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #40 The Other
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 10:29:45 PM »
Not sure if it's deliberate but there's an interesting short gap between Marco not being much for praying and quoting the Bible.

I never understood how there would be enough time, on the Andalite cultural scale, for any prejudice about using morphing to cure the disease to develop.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #40 The Other
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »
   1. Though having just found out about a physical ailment in my own form, and being a bit distraught over it, I can't fault the Andalites for this. They are an able bodied people, and take great pride in that, it makes sense that those who cannot perform are looked down on, as first response. Shutting them away does nothing for them, they should still attempt at overcoming a handicap. Pity for the injured is not the same as shaming them, and that's what this really does in my mind I believe this was made a significant issue as a just another part of demonizing those who were once slated to be saviors, to make you dislike this near-enemy more. Maybe it was to foreshadow the auxiliaries, but I think this was part of the effort to degrade the Andalites even beyond their sins in war.

2. There is so much horribly wrong here. Kudos for being vets as long as you were, but dammit, the planet you are now occupy is under attack: help! If Ax could rig up all he did from spare parts in a few hours, I have to imagine two soldiers, one with access to a university physics department could do a bit more, but not even an effort? Now that's shameful. The friend ship is nice and all I suppose. Individually Gafinilan impressed physically, but that he'd sell out the planet for one person, I took him as a bit of an ass for that. Mertil seemed just timid. Even at the end, his little yell was just, uninspiring to me, because ultimately I don't think he'd ever make anything of it..

3. In the specific case of morphing, I consider it trading one illness for another: to go from being able to become anything, to trapped in one form forever seems terrible to me. But seeing how he lives now, not really using morphing as I would, it doesn't seem too bad a course of action. In the real world context though, nothings taboo. So long as the cure doesn't damage more than the disease, doesn't horribly impair quality of life, I'd go through with it.

4. Her death should have hurt Marco more. I like Marco and Rachel together. Yes they fight, but there's only a handful of times the hostility is genuine. After all this time of fighting together, saving each other, supporting ideas, being the two most likely to go off alone and the other insisting on being back-up, I would have thought. Their dynamic in most things was fine, but at the last good bye, I would have rather seen Marco show something more-and that was the one problem I had with the two of them.

5. Kinda flat. He was still paranoid and tactical and all that, but I guess it just wasn't a way that showed any change in him. Spying out an equally paranoid alien, well dumb really, but he did get the guy's M.O. Him and Mertil: I think Marco falls in and out of sympathy readily. He knows about being alone, but being a kinda closed off guy, having him show it is weird.

6. Anyone like the link? I've been stung by several bees, so I'm less than friendly towards them.  I really liked the robber fly scene, just because you have a stinger doesn't make you invincible. This is about what I expected for a social mind in other creatures as well, and individual in a group, not a component in a machine, but I'll again cite that portrayal to predjudice. Bees sometimes sting, but also benefit. No matter what they are doing, ants are termites are thought of as pest. Bees are considered "smart" as insects go, but that's in part because of what has been done with them, and that is part of physical as much as cognitive ability. I would be frightened to live as a bee, one weapon and to use it is to die. Some other cool features, but little you can't find in other insects.

8. Idea was too soon after the other new Andalites. Timing is everything Scholastic, but that doesn't seem to have been considered.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....