Author Topic: Group Re-Read 2.0 #38 The Arrival  (Read 2080 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-Read 2.0 #38 The Arrival
« on: September 22, 2012, 11:54:54 AM »
Synopsis
Andalites have reached Earth. Willl Ax leave the Animorphs...?
A group of Andalites have found the Animorphs, and they have an important task in mind: the assassination of Visser Three. But it's also become clear that Earth is a low priority for the Andalite military, and the Animorphs are falling apart.  Now Ax is once more amongst his people, but he discovers the Andalites have much more than the death of Visser Three in store for Earth....

Questions
   1. The opening scene follows the Animorphs at a newspaper being used by the Sharing. What do you think of the Yeerks using this media as propaganda? What about Visser Three using it to set a trap for the bandits?

2. What did you think of the Andalites sent to Earth in this book? Whose behavior impressed or disappointed you? What did you think of the faux mission of assassinating Alloran, and the hidden agenda of using a virus on the Yeerks?

3. Ax and Estrid; Thoughts?

4. What do you think of the Animorphs dealing with this band of Andalites? How well did Jake and Ax handle their first meeting? Was the fake disbanding they staged necessary? How was it beneficial?

5. "'Revenge is pointless and immoral,' Cassie insisted. "Revenge is just another word for justice," Rachel said, her face hardening". What do you think of the view each of these characters have? Who, if either, is right?

6. While in the Yeerk pool, the human hosts line up in their cages to shield the injured Animorphs from the Yeerks. What did you think of this scene, what it shows about humans, and the resolve of those the enslaved by the Yeerks?

7. What do you think about Ax's character in this book? What do you think of his interaction with the other Andalites? How has he changed since the last time he dealt with his race? How hasn't he? How do you think Ax has come to decide where his loyalties lie?

8. Ax has his best chance yet in this book at going home, but passes on it. Why? In his position at this part of the story, do you think this was the best move? Could he have done anything to aid the cause on Earth had he gone? What would you have done?

9. The Animorphs all use a bird of prey morph on a regular basis, Ax uses the Northern Harrier. What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series?  Do you think Applegate's the of its abilities and attitudes were accurate or exaggerated? What do you envision the experience of being a Harrier to be like? Though undoubtedly similar to other raptors, differences do abound. What do you think of the difference and uses of the Animorphs bird of prey books in the series?

10. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

11. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #39 The Hidden
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #38 The Arrival
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »
   1. This is like a moral crisis for me. The Yeerks should be doing it, and I can't assume they aren't just because we never see it.  But not seeing it takes the sting out of it. More importantly, this is so weak as an invasion tactic. Even when everyone read papers, what percent are going to be inspired to go get involved in this group. There must be a step I'm missing, because you cannot recruit unwilling slaves through ad space. At least not enough. There's nothing really wrong with using this as a trap either, but the way he came out and said, ha ha ha I knew this would trap you, was just too cheesy.

2. I'll save Estrid for next, but I didn't care for the pilot. The assassin was interesting, shame he went out as he did. Wasn't remorse, but then I don't know if he crime was only scavenging, or making parts ripe for scavenging. Alloran's brother was most interesting in that he was willing to do the same damn thing Alloran did that, had he not be infested, would have been considered the worst failing of his life. Hereditary insanity is all I can think off.  Like on the Hork-Bajir world, the plan makes sense to an outsider, but I do think even I'd have more remorse about it, even to an "inferior "race than the Andalites show. Assassinating him though, interesting idea. Good idea. Sad for Alloran, but he's already asked for death. Too bad no one at least got that done.

3. I can't help but think Estrid was the total package for an Andalite girl. Brillant, talented, beautiful, and able to kick your butt:  What more could you ask for in a woman. Yes, she had one glaring personality flaw, but that still beats the pants off everyone in the real world. Plus she came around, she didn't go through with killing the human race, she panicked in her first fight, but fought in the end.  I also have mad respect for Ax, so I think they'd have been a nice pair. Hope they reconciled after. Shame they couldn't spend time together, but bigger shame is that it would seem her and the pilot could do nothing to advance Earth's cause back home.

4. Jake and Ax handled it well. Ax and Estrid fighting during discussions was a bit rough, but all in all they did a good job of keeping a battalion send to Earth aware of their position. I didn't understand the false show, did they expect something that early, and if so I missed what gave it away. Clearly it worked, and they needed a man on the inside, but I just find that bit of foresight uncanny.

5. 2 books back Cassie wanted to avenge Hahn, now Andalites doing it is wrong-grr. But, okay Cassie is back in character, and she is wrong. And so is Rachel. Revenge has a very powerful point, gratification, that's why it exists. Immoral-well, somewhat, but few things are entirely immoral. But it's not justice, justice keeps order, if revenge does that it's by coincidence, not design. Really though, I don't see why the assassination, even if it'd been real, would be considered revenge for the whole Andalite military.

6. I love this scene, one of the best concepts in the series. More resolve than I have, but being in groups helps. Bit on the "human spirit conquers all side" but done well enough that I won't mind.

7. Ax has grown, shown no better than his keeping to the oath he made in 18. He was polite, professional, but still critical. I doubt he has been or ever will be as close to anyone as he has been to the Animorphs, and while he retains some of those inborn sympathies, he doesn't do it blindly-anymore-so that's not really a bad thing.

8. I'd  have gone home because I don't think at that point they could have known the military's disinterest in Earth. I'd have thought Ax could do more to get the world out, persuade the people, show his experience. I'd have been wrong, and staying was obviously a critical advantage, but I would have thought and done different.

9. Okay, so I ran out of good variety morphs by this book, but it helps make a point. Despite being in the same families and orders or whatever, creatures can be very different. While Tobias and Ax have fought over the better eyes, Harriers may in fact have better hearing, they certainly use their hearing to find things more skillful than a red-tail can, and ability not at all mention in the series (a fact that has helped place me on my current career path.) Don't know if it would be overwhelming to change to each, but the comparison is something I want to do one way or another. Duck morph is the proof that the Animorphs don't use their bird morphs as wisely as they could, raptor should have been kept for getting together, not moving together. Still I like raptors, and enjoyed the variety, though it's relevance is minimal. Like combat morphs, I'd have thought given their importance in the series, raptors would have been kept unique, so dual osprey was a bit shifty. Marco would have made a good merlin or kestrel, eh?
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #38 The Arrival
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »
I don't know if different authors did this book and the one two books back. If there were different authors, it shows that they have different views regarding revenge. Unfortunately it still makes Cassie come across as a hypocrite either way. I agree that revenge has a different motivation behind it. If it happens to bring justice, it's just a coincidence. It's similar, but darker. When someone mentions revenge, they certainly aren't talking about capturing someone without harming them, and taking them to a rehabilitation center to work out their problems.

The newspaper thing was probably more to do with the times. There was no high speed internet that practically everyone had, so there likely wasn't a vastly different form of media than newspapers. Except perhaps TV, which they were likely using as well.

Ani-Master 2014!