Author Topic: Group Re-Read 2.0 #34 The Prophecy  (Read 1680 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-Read 2.0 #34 The Prophecy
« on: August 18, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
Synopsis
What you don't know can't hurt you. Except for the Yeerks....
Aldrea-Iskillion-Falan is a name from history. The last surviving Arn has need of her; He intends to create the Hork-Bajir again on their home world, and arm them with weapons Aldrea hid away before her death. It may be possible to restore Aldrea's mind, to find the weapons, and give this new breed of Hork-Bajir a chance. To do so, Aldrea's mind will have to share another's body. But once she's in, she may not want to come out....

Questions
   1. This book recalls much of the events of the Hork-Bajir Chronicles. What do you think about the last surviving Arn, and his efforts to give the Hork-Bajir back their world? The readers don't see it again, but what do you think happened there? How could it have affected the war in general?

2. What are your thoughts in general on the idea of using an Ixcila-a stored person being put in anothers body, philosophically and scientifically?

3. What do you think of Aldrea in this book? How does her character compare to what we saw in HBC? What did you think about her and Cassie sharing a body? What about Aldrea's interest in Toby? Was the ploy at the end really necessary?

4. As was explained to Aldrea, Cassie's go to combat morph is the quick reflexed, durable, ripping, tearing biting wolf.  What do you think of the portrayal of this animal in this book and throughout the series? What do you think it's strengths and weaknesses are compared to the others' combat morphs? Do you think Applegate's descriptions of its abilities and attitudes were accurate, exaggerated or undersold? What do you envision the experience of being a wolf to be like?

5. What do you think about Cassie in this book? From being chosen as the vessel, to dealing with Aldrea, to her death-defying morphing and love notes in math class, what about her character impresses or annoys you in this story?

6. If choosen, would you have accepted be the vessel for someone else's persona? Cassie later reflects that removing the Ixcila would be the equvalent of killing Aldrea. Do you agree? Would you demand this entity to return to oblivion so your body would be yours alone?

7. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

8. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #35 The proposal

Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #34 The Prophecy
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:32:44 PM »
Just a note to myself for later, Jake is fine with the Ixcila unless it's Cassie receiving it. Hmm.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #34 The Prophecy
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »
   1. This was dumb. While other books make weak shout outs to the events of TAC, this was a bad continuation of HBC. Based off that, it's a great surprise to see any Arn put in such an effort, and if it worked-first I doubt that the Hork-Bajir could get much done without a seer (may just be handing the Yeerks more hosts actually). Best event it would only entail a small victory on a remote outpost with little reaching effects. Symbolic victory, but little real or morale consequences.

2. This was...you know right after ghost Elfangor, I have to wonder if they weren't contemplating changing Animorphs into a fantasy series midway. Conceptually, it's painfully Yeerk-ish.

3. Aldrea was much more childish and petty. Maybe it's the whole knowing you're dead thing, but her behavior was repugnant: looking down on the humans that had accomplished a lot. obsessing on Toby (you have a grandson you know). Not all that surprising, but her arrogance, her single mindedness, it seemed to have advanced in disgusting ways since her transformation. End ploy-stupid. I can't imagine Toby would be all that fussed, really they were barely seen to discuss anything together.

4. Alright, it had a low place in this book, but Cassie does tend to have new morphs most of her books, so it was hard to fit it.  I've yet to see a wolf in real life, but it's a creature I deeply enjoy, and have a lot of respect for. The endurance thing-full tilt all day is a lie. 6-10 mph all day maybe, respectable, but that's not a wolf all out. Like any large dog, I see it being very formidable, if lacking the power of a tiger or gorilla, but like the tiger, I see this being a very enjoyable form: a capable body, sharp senses, a mind that's likely inquisitive and readily focused.

5. I will again give Cassie kudos for some excellent morphing. If she hadn't been narrator, I'd be very surprised Aldrea picked her (someone to talk her out? I believe Rachel could have done that, if in a different way.) I personally think she should have be less accommodating to this thing using her body, and laid out a protocol at the start. Yeah, love notes in math? You are covering up an alien take over and your secret identity, but you hand in your doodles? That cost her a couple of those kudos.

6. Maybe. Not Aldrea. Not a fan in HBC, and after this I loathe her. Couldn't be someone I idolize: wouldn't let them know all my shame, or someone I disdain-wouldn't give them the satisfaction. Have to have some knowledge on who they are, but, no lasting personal histories I guess. I don't think pushing out Aldrea is akin to killing. She's conscious, she's not alive. For all we know she has a dead consciousness out there in the Void too. Either way, I'd absolutely demand my body back eventually. Even if I like whoever it was, in the end its my body, mine alone, and so it shall remain.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....