Author Topic: Group Re-Read 2.0 #32 The Separation  (Read 4474 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Group Re-Read 2.0 #32 The Separation
« on: August 04, 2012, 06:06:22 PM »
Synopsis
Everything changes. But not quite like this....
Did you know starfish can regenerate limbs? Turns out that's relevant if you morph one. When Rachel morphs a starfish and gets cut in half the result is two very different Rachels. One lacks focus and is too timid to morph, and the other bent on annihilating everything in her path. And neither Rachel is fond of the other. But if they can't come to terms and be put back together again two Rachels will be more trouble than none.....

Questions
   1. At this point, what do you think of the Yeerks efforts to take over the Earth, and rid themselves of the "Andalite" resistance? What are the Animorphs doing at this point that makes them such an impediment to the Yeerks? What do you think of this Anti-Morphing Ray to deal with them?

2. What do you think of the starfish as a morph? How does it compare to other animals utilized throughout the series? Applegate ascribes to it very simple behaviors, do you think these are accurate? What do you envision the experience of being a starfish to be like?

3. What do you think of the two different Rachels? Even though they need each other, they find the other appalling; why? It's remarked that Mean Rachel as been growing stronger in the time since becoming and Animorph. What do you think of this concept, and how is it dealt with by Rachel's character from here?

4. What do you think of Rachel's sense of duty? Why does she feel an obligation to take part in this fight?

5. What do you think you would be like if you had your personality divided into two beings? What traits would go together into either? Do you think you could function with your personality divided amongst two bodies? Would they be willing to reconcile into a single being?

6. Approximately when is the last time you read this book? What changes do you expect or would like to see in a re-release?

7. Anything else?

Answer, ignore and submit your own questions and comments as you please; but remember to vote!

Next week: #33 The Illusion
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Ember Nickel

• Lipogram! Scorecard!
Re: Group Re-Read 2.0 #32 The Separation
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:10:47 PM »
"...the TV screens flickering with the news of the world. Hah! News? I had news for the world..." Mean Rachel, right after Nice Rachel says she's going to call her dad (the newsreader!) Nice touch. Also, the conversation unified Rachel must have had with her Dad after this book...!

computer monitors endlessly playing their Mystify Your Mind screen savers. <- 90s aesthetics!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »
   1. For the last several books I've seen nothing to slow down the Yeerk effort, or the Yeerks making any smart effort. They've done some things for finding the Animorphs or gaining technology (YPM, Pemalite ship), they've pushed political agendas (30), but they aren't making big steps in gaining controllers, so I can't really say that the Animorphs are making that big of a dent. I can still see wanting to get rid of them, and an Anti-Morphing Ray is a fairly good way to go about it, but there should be something else going on.

2. This would also be kinda cool. Few, but existent light receptors, extruding stomach. Hydro-skeleton, must have some sort of mind. This isn't one I've put a lot of thought into, can't see anything wrong with how it's shown in this book, but I would like to try it. Know for sure.

3. I found them both appalling. Both worthless on their own, if anything damaging. I do wonder about the division though, was short term memory and aggression random, or must they go together. Addressing Mean Rachel's growth was a good concept, but it would have seemed that this meant she would be checked from here. Nope. 5 books later she'll be worse than ever, and I think that was total lack of planning.

4. Also interesting. Much more complex than just wanting to fight. I'm sure a part of it is people she loves, but like some other people I know, Rachel comes off as an actual altruist. Without realizing the risk to herself, she protects to protect (that I think is apart of her thing with Tobias). She's not soft or very emotional about it, but she doesn't like people to hurt. Irony in how she goes about it of course, but that's the best explanation I have of it.

5. Fear and optimism vs pride and greed. The first would be faulty in fearing it's own shadow, a relectance to trust, and both helped and hurt by the dream of a better tomorrow. The second would be a bit of a sadist, manipulative and arrogant (I was going to say Voldemort, but Visser Three seems more appropriate.) I don't see the former fairing well (pessimism, ironic) the
latter might do okay, until it pissed off too many people by a lack of restraint. I think ultimately they'd reconcile, because the one would need to get past fear to function, and the other would be willing because it understands that to use people to the fullest, you can't just manipulate and underestimate. You need some restraint, and a touch of mistrust. Well, I's would anyway.

6. I'm ashamed to say when I first read, in the summer of 99, this is where I took my break.  It was probably another year before I resumed at all, and more years till finished the series. It wasn't out and out dislike, but it was the 30-32 stretch were I felt the tone shift. The writing style was different, the characters monomorphic in ways that opposed all they'd done up till now, and so I just.... fell away. In 5th grade, two polar Rachel's seemed irrelevant enough that I stopped caring. And this was not a ghost written book.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 12:48:07 AM »
Synopsis
Everything changes. But not quite like this....
Did you know starfish can regenerate limbs? Turns out that's relevant if you morph one. When Rachel morphs a starfish and gets cut in half the result is two very different Rachels. One lacks focus and is too timid to morph, and the other bent on annihilating everything in her path. And neither Rachel is fond of the other. But if they can't come to terms and be put back together again two Rachels will be more trouble than none.....

The two Rachaels are like the two Kirks in the Star Trek episode "The Enemy Within".  Like Mean Rachael, the good Kirk lacked the ability to make good planning decisions.  Like Nice Rachael, Good Kirk was not forceful enough to make a good captain.   Like Mean Rachael, Evil Kirk was too aggressive to make a good captain.

Offline Redtailednothlit

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 02:11:26 PM »
It occurred to me today, that the Mean Rachel from this book may have had some influence on Tobias's "don't become Taylor" comment from the next book.

Offline Tim Bruening

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 11:07:21 PM »
Rachel started out with two earrings.  She dropped one, so she morphed a starfish to retrieve it.  What happened to the other one she had?  Did she drop it when she morphed?  If so, did either Rachel recover it?